JL 26-Sep-22
Zbone 26-Sep-22
JL 26-Sep-22
Zbone 26-Sep-22
t-roy 26-Sep-22
JL 26-Sep-22
deerhunter72 26-Sep-22
22-Sep-22
I know this has been covered before, but the I can't get the search feature to work. When making mock scrapes, is vine or rope better for the licking branch? Probably a little late to be messing with it this year but I thought I'd put up a few and see what I get on camera. I remember a lot of you guys like the vine but I saw a youtube video of Don Higgins and he swears by the rope method. As far as the scrape goes, do you pee in it?

22-Sep-22
I've never used rope or vines, I use branches. I think anything with a little scent on it at the right height will work. Lots of people like rope and vines though.

Yes, I've peed in them many times. I don't think the scent on the ground is nearly as important as the scent on the licking branch.

22-Sep-22
I've had better luck with vines than ropes.

22-Sep-22
Wild Grape Vine is #1.

22-Sep-22
Grape vines are magic.

22-Sep-22
I’ve had good luck with vines, great luck making under a beech tree and using the beech branch. One of my best I made was a cut limb under a pine. Branch broke off but I have pics of deer standing up on hind legs to reach the lowest line branch now to make the scrape and lick the branch etc.

22-Sep-22
Thanks for all of the information! I was out last weekend helping some friends move a stand and I cut several lengths of vines. Just got to get out to the woods and get a few up. The video above has a lot of great information.

22-Sep-22
Wish we had grape vines. All we have is poison ivy vines!

22-Sep-22
Use a 2 - 3 foot stick tied to a higher branch or limb. Let it hang vertical.

22-Sep-22
I've had about equal success with grape vine and hemp rope. Both work great.

22-Sep-22
FWIW....the vert stick method.....

22-Sep-22

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
deerhunter72……..you commented in your first post about it being a little late to be messing with them. I think you’ve still got plenty of time to get them put out. I first tried the ropes (and the Smokey’s scent) but didn’t have much success with it. Some guys have had good luck with it, though. The grapevines have worked much better for me. I’m starting to change out the vines each year. Seems like they tend to get brittle and I’ve had bucks snap several of them off while working them. If they get broken off too high, the deer seem to quit utilizing the scrape.

22-Sep-22

deerhunter72's embedded Photo
deerhunter72's embedded Photo
t-roy, I went ahead and put out 3 vines tonight. I’ll run my cameras in a couple weeks and see what I get. I put them in travel routes where there are scrapes every year. Pretty sure Smokey’s is what Higgins works well for him. I’ve got some rope, so I might throw one of those up after the season.

24-Sep-22

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Must have been in my twenties or thirties years ago when started messing with vines after I noticed a heck of a scrape hanging under a broke wild grape vine... It was kinda out of place where it was and not really in a good spot you would have thought a scrape should have been... The deer had to kinda go out of their way to get to it... It got my attention, kinda like the very few cedar trees in my area, and if you see any, they all get rubbed and bucks go out of their way to reach them too... Anyhow after I started looking for hanging vines and notice most hanging vine had scrapes under them, so I began tearing down vines I could reach in good spots, and yeah deer started using them and surprisingly some does I observed while hunting as licking branches... This was way before trail cams but hadn't really realized how much they used them year round... It wasn't until the Wensels wrote a piece on hanging ropes did it occur to me that a person could relocate a piece of vine to where they wanted.... I'm like duh, why didn't I think of that... But yeah, they work great, both vines and rope, and have video of deer inspecting them year round...

Am now going with grape vine section with 5/8" hemp rope tie-wrapped to it, the best of both worlds, the vine to keep it stiffer and the rope to help absorb any kind of natural deer scent left behind... From the bottom of the vine, I leave about a 6 - 8" tail of rope with a overhand knot at the end... I think another key is the height, and was placing them about chest to chin high about 48 - 53" above ground.... Am still experimenting with the height... Photo attached of button buck rearing up to reach rope... Photo was taken 3 years ago, have since lowered the height... How high are youenz?

24-Sep-22

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Grape vines for me too. Absolute magnets for some inexplicable reason

24-Sep-22
Zbone, I thought chest high was the right height, which on me isn’t very high because I’m 5’8”. I always thought bigger bucks liked a higher licking branch, but according to several videos I watched lower is ok/better. I went waist high.

25-Sep-22
Interesting, I've never used or even heard of a vine or rope being used. What a great idea.

26-Sep-22
I think the like the way the vine/rope hangs down so it is easier for them to transfer the pre-orbital scent. I found a great scape where a broken branch was hanging down like a vine/rope.

26-Sep-22
Someone with some bucks around should hang a cam overlooking a collection of hanging things to see how the bucks react to the different things. Somethings I can think of to experiment with.....maybe the vine, rope, stick, branch...heck, hang an old rattling horn(s) and see how they react to those. Me and mama are hitting the road on Thursday and will be gone for a while. Otherwise I'd try the rattling horn idea and see if the deer would react to it. The bucks might like the noise it would make.

26-Sep-22
JL - Hmmm, hanging a antler sounds interesting (pun intended), good thinking... I might actually try that... They may like that tickling around with their rack while working a limp/vine/rope... Could be interesting, you may have started a new trend...8^)

BTW, that photo of the button buck rearing up to reach the rope was lower when the limb was in full foliage when I placed it, and I never took the time to re-lower it after the tree shed it's leaves... On some limbs it make a difference, leaf weight is something to consider...

26-Sep-22
Z...please try that and hang a cam on the antler. I'm curious what the deer's reaction would be. Ya....I could see a buck tickling the antler and attracted to the noise.

26-Sep-22
Yeah, will do...

26-Sep-22
Better hang the antler up pretty high. My guess is, it will be on the ground in less than a week.

26-Sep-22
Me thinks if a buck rips it down....I'd put it back up and consider hunting that spot on the opener and the rut phases.

26-Sep-22
Interesting idea. Never would’ve thought about hanging some antlers.

• Sitka Gear