WV Mountaineer 29-Oct-22
Corax_latrans 29-Oct-22
fuzzy 30-Oct-22
fuzzy 30-Oct-22
RonP 30-Oct-22
fuzzy 30-Oct-22
27-Sep-22
Yikes…..

https://nypost.com/2022/09/27/montana-woman-kills-skins-husky-after-mistaking-it-for-wolf/

27-Sep-22

Rut Nut's Link

27-Sep-22
Sad but also hilarious

27-Sep-22

smarba's Link
11-miles into the woods? No idea what a husky would be doing there, but could easily see the assumption it was a wolf. Probably wasn't t the best wording of her social media blurb "just smoked a wolf pup".

On a similar note, in this day and age of political correctness and being forced to accept that anyone can be whatever they want to be, I've wondered what would happen if someone had a valid wolf tag and shot this chick (can I even say chick?!) in the woods?

27-Sep-22
""The Flathead County Sheriff’s Office released a statement saying it had been contacted by someone who reported picking up “several husky and shepherd mix dogs” in the area of Doris Creek in the Flathead National Forest.

The department said it was advised that one of the dogs “may have been shot.”

“The parties were able to pick up 11 dogs which were turned over to Animal Control and taken to the animal shelter,” a statement read. “During this investigation, we were advised through Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks that one of the dogs may have been shot.”""

So if no one claims the 11 dumped dogs and they can't find homes for them...do they get euthanized anyway?

27-Sep-22
I read in another article that several of the dogs tested positive for parvo, would be a real shame if that leaked into the local wolf packs.

27-Sep-22
Hmmm, I was wondering why someone would dump huskies back in the woods…….

27-Sep-22
Interesting on the parvo angle. And also regarding the dogs going to Animal Control and likely be put down anyway.

We have a growing problem of feral cattle here in some areas of New Mexico. At least one county has hired a guy to capture them and haul them to auction...since the treehuggers don't want them killed. I wonder what happens to them after they are sold at auction?

27-Sep-22
Social media and voters will strike again, against all hunters.

27-Sep-22
All she has to say is she isnt a biologist and she's in the clear.

27-Sep-22
Good one Smtn10PT!!!

27-Sep-22
Geno Auriemma Is gonna be really upset about this.

27-Sep-22
Cool looking pelt...8^)

27-Sep-22
Smtn10PT for the win!!! lmao!

27-Sep-22
I definitely won’t get sharing the details of THIS story with my wife.

27-Sep-22
I would feel horrible if this was somebody's pet but, a wild pack of dogs might even be scarier than wolves. No fear of humans from my experience. No love for wild dogs at all.

27-Sep-22
People are dumping there dogs right and left due to $$. Happening here in Spokane area.

27-Sep-22
We could welcome a few gals like her to Colorado!

28-Sep-22
Wild dog. Nothing to see here.

28-Sep-22
Evidently there must not be very many wolves in that area if any at all because if there were those dogs would have been killed by the local wolf pack.

28-Sep-22
As a current owner of 2 huskies, and I've had huskies in the past, I find absolutely nothing amusing about this situation. I hope they find the sorry sum bitch that let the dogs go and deal with him/her. Some of you here are certifiable puppy kickers, you are sad individuals.

28-Sep-22
I’ll give her props for killing it 11 miles in and skinning it on her own. I could imagine a fair amount of men hunters could have made that same mistake.

28-Sep-22
If any of the recovered dogs are chipped, they might be able to ID the source of them.

28-Sep-22
Oh, she skinned it? Did not read the story.

28-Sep-22
There is something very squirrely about this story

28-Sep-22
Many years ago a buddy and I used to shoot handguns at a public dump. This was before reclamation laws, etc. and the portion of the dump that had been used looked like giant corn rows with brush and trees growing up in it. In other words a hellhole of briars, brush, etc. and almost impenetrable. People dumped dogs there and it was rampant with wild dogs, and they were WILD. My buddy and I each caught a pup, little pups, and they would bite the crap out of us. We bathed them and treated them for fleas, but it took awhile for them to stop biting us. They were as wild as coyotes or wolves. I can see the woman’s mistake, I might have done the same except for the posting on social media.

28-Sep-22

Pat Lefemine's Link
Seriously though, nothing good is gonna come out of this. Check out the PETA call to action where they are telling their minions to call The interior secretary Deb Haaland to immediately cease all wolf hunting and trapping.

This has all the ingredients to become another Cecil the Lion PR nightmare except in that situation the hunter wasn’t a complete idiot.

28-Sep-22
That husky looks in great condition, doesn't look like it has been out there very long, doesn't look "wild" at all.

28-Sep-22

PECO2's embedded Photo
PECO2's embedded Photo
This is a puppy. That husky also looks nothing like a pup.

28-Sep-22
In the article linked in the OP the woman admits she made a mistake.

" “Yes I made a mistake because I did think it was a hybrid wolf pup,” she wrote, adding that she was unaware of several dogs “being dropped 11 miles into the wilderness.” "

28-Sep-22
The news will eat this one up

28-Sep-22
Pat,

Idiot is a pretty harsh name for killing in self-defense.

28-Sep-22

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
PECO………I could definitely see where someone could mistake that dog for a wolf, in the heat of the moment. A fleeting glance, low light, inexperienced hunter, etc. Not making excuses for her, but not all that far fetched, either. Dumb move posting it on FB, though.

My wife has a husky, as well. Hemi is a therapy dog. She takes her to nursing homes, library visits with pre and grade schoolers, etc. The kids (and some of the seniors) are always asking my wife if Hemi is a wolf.

29-Sep-22
She made a mistake. So what, we all have.

29-Sep-22
She didn't just make a mistake. Know what you are hunting. If you shoot a moose instead of an elk (ooops, my bad, oh well) you are in trouble. If you don't know the difference, you shouldn't be sending lead. If you mistake a husky for a wolf, you should know the difference when you get hands and eyes on the dead animal.

29-Sep-22
You mistake a husky for a wolf in a hunting situation....ok......maybe passable. Domestics walk and carry their tail completely different besides the other features. Self defence domestic dog kill also acceptable.

The problem here is you've got a brag on social media, therefore I'm not highly buying the whole self defence thing. Nowhere in the original post was it "I shot a wolf in self defence." Leading me to believe she thought she shot a wolf in a hunting situation. But if you walk up to a dead husky and don't pull an OH $HIT, followed by SSS then the label "idiot" isn't outlandish. To then go one step further and post it on social media as a brag???? Sorry, hard to find a lot of sympathy. That was a bone dead stupid move.

29-Sep-22

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo

30-Sep-22
Yeah I think the "self defense" part was simply trying to cover up the original mistake. Every movie has fluffy, well groomed "wolves" played by huskies, so there probably are a lot of people who wouldn't be able to identify what they are looking at. Add the fact she was supposedly 11-miles from civilization, why would anyone think they are looking at a dog? Still, social media is not your friend when it comes to posting kill photos.

06-Oct-22
I find it sad for the dog. I had an encounter myself with a wild dog a couple of years ago. I was hunting squirrels, when out of nowhere this dog came running at me in a , should I say, less than friendly way. I instinctively put my gun down and pulled my 10inch blade Bowie knife and prepare for the assault by adopting an attack attitude myself . Nothing happened at the end as the dog stopped and buggered off, but I know exactly how to defend myself from a dog with a knife, even if it is a trained police dog. I have , sadly, as a kid , been attacked by a dog . After that experience, I trained to defend and kill any dog with a knife in seconds. I don't buy the wolf BS she was trying to pull off. Even if in reality was a stray wild dog going for her, why on earth would she skin it and brag about it. If it really is a wild dog , just kill it. Done. Move on

07-Oct-22
Where does it say she was 11 miles deep? Did she hike in 11 miles? Did she drive 11 miles in on a fire road? I didn't see that anywhere.

29-Oct-22

JL's Link
She is being charged with animal cruelty. IMO...the charge will be dropped and the MT FWP knows it. She is being charged because of the outrage from the anti's and animal lovers and the MT FWP had to do something to appease these clowns. They ginned up an un-proveable animal cruelty charge. IMO her lawyer will have an easy case.

The FWP doesn't mention if the dogs that were dumped out there were chipped and/or if they located the dumper. The people who dumped the dogs should be the ones charged.....not the one who mistook a husky for a wolf during a legal hunt.

29-Oct-22
You chose a knife over a gun when you thought an attack was inevitable. Ok

29-Oct-22
The cost and publicity of the defense will be worse than any potential fine. Shooting domestic animals may have consequences these days, regardless of the circumstances. Hunters need to get a little smarter. This case is a loss for all hunters, especially with the minds of non hunting voters who control our destiny.

29-Oct-22
I would guess she had ZERO clue it wasn’t a wolf til she got called out on social media. She was obviously excited about it. Not sure why people feel the need to post everything they do on social media.

29-Oct-22
“I put my gun down and pulled a 10” Bowie” Come on man, why not just go bare knuckle ?

29-Oct-22
I would guess she had ZERO clue it wasn’t a wolf til she got called out on social media. She was obviously excited about it. Not sure why people feel the need to post everything they do on social media.

29-Oct-22

29-Oct-22
Ease up guys Maybe Juancho is a poor shot and figured the 10 inch Bowie gave him more effective range.

29-Oct-22
Have to agree with Missouri on this one.

29-Oct-22
"Not sure why people feel the need to post everything they do on social media." Yeah, no kidding. Mostly generational, I suppose.

29-Oct-22
A Pauls that’s hilarious!!

If I was 11 miles deep I might have shot it too. What the heck is a domestic dog doing way back there???

29-Oct-22
The problem was not shooting it, putting it on Facebook was absolutely stupid. Why are some hunters so dumb? Facebook posting of dead animals does not help the non hunting voters support us. DUMB !

29-Oct-22
^^^This^^^

Shooting it was likely the most humane option. However, that gets lost in the end.

29-Oct-22
Play stupid games….

30-Oct-22
Ms Rose was quoted as saying "how was I supposed to know?"

30-Oct-22

fuzzy's embedded Photo
fuzzy's embedded Photo

30-Oct-22
i'm thinking there is a high probability she will be on a future ballot for a position in government, at some level.

30-Oct-22
RonP I can see that. Even if she can't. ??

• Sitka Gear