AZ~Rich 16-Oct-22
HDE 16-Oct-22
Corax_latrans 16-Oct-22
Zbone 17-Oct-22
Zbone 17-Oct-22
AZ~Rich 17-Oct-22
29-Sep-22

Zbone's Link
Everytime I hear Black Mamba I think of Pat's episode and how fortunate he was...

Sad story here:

Black Mamba Kills Man's Wife, Daughter and Nephew in Single Attack

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/black-mamba-kills-man-s-wife-daughter-and-nephew-in-single-attack/ar-AA12oMr2?ocid=winp1taskbar&cvid=31835a56f3a841c0830f4d31c72de429

29-Sep-22
How sad, and the young man trying to escape was bitten, that's one badass snake. I remember watching Steve Irwin handle mambas and never got bit, amazing.

29-Sep-22
I'll never forget the time we cought a large water moccasin in the creek by my house. We had it in my bedroom trying to milk Venum from it's fangs like on nat geo when my mom walked in. I was 13 or 14 and have never seen my mom so scared and pissed off at the same time. We took it back to where we cought it and released it. Looking back that was incredibly stupid even though we regularly cought snakes.

29-Sep-22
I just read pats story not long ago, when the old stuff was posted and can’t believe what I read…lucky isn’t the word…

30-Sep-22
Reminds me of Kill Bill.

30-Sep-22
Very sad. Prayers for this family

30-Sep-22
Sad deal... Man I think I’d have to grab a 12 gauge...indoors or not!

30-Sep-22
Very sad! : (

Yep- I think of Pat whenever I see Mamba........................

30-Sep-22
Could someone post that thread about Pats encounter

30-Sep-22

LTG 11's Link

30-Sep-22
Mamba's creep me out. And gaboon vipers. Both of them just give me the sweats.

Mamba's bother me the most, just due to their size, aggressiveness, and liking for enclosed spaces. I don't know how you defend against an 8 foot plus snake in an enclosed space. . . .

Gaboon vipers give me the creeps because of their camouflage and their 2 inch long fangs with deadly venom. . . .

Snakes are a personal phobia of mine. I understand it's unreasonable, but it's there. I can't help it. When sitting blinds in Africa, it's a constant stress for me ever since Pat's story.

And it's not the death that bothers me. It's the manner of death. Just seems like a terrible way to go.

First time I went to Africa the outfitter had a farmer friend that always kept a fifth of some hard drink in his farm truck. He said if he ever got bit by a mamba, he'd just sit under a tree with his 5th and drink until he died. . . . Those guys said if a mamba got you you had 20 minutes to get on a vent or you were gone.

Stewart Dorington at Melorani told a story in 2021 of an acquaintance who'd been bit in a blind and survived it. . . .

So I guess it would all come down to the venom load and how quick you could get to a hospital. . . Man it just gives me the creeps

30-Sep-22
Reading and watching Pat's video again, wonder if he salvaged the skin for bow backing? Keeping and cleaning the skull and fangs would have been cool too...

30-Sep-22
I met a missionary about 12 yrs ago that lived in Africa for a while. Said he opened up the top of his piano and there was a Green Mamba inside the top of his piano.

He said there's no telling how long it had been habitating in the piano.

I once slept 2 ft from a cotton mouth when I was a bout 16 yrs old...camping out. When I discovered the snake I broke out the 20 gauge

30-Sep-22
Azelkhunter your story reminds me of a fellow bowsiter who loaned me a pair of boots for a Kodiak hunt. Luckily the soles disintegrated before i wore a blister on my foot or stepped on a nail and got envenomated. Warning: "Matt's boots looses soles. "

30-Sep-22
Like mosquitos, that's one reptile that would be nice to wipe out.

30-Sep-22
If I ever had any doubt, after reading Pat’s story I crossed Africa off my bucket list! : (

30-Sep-22
On my first Africa trip in 2000 to Zimbabwe we were in the blinds by ourselves without trackers or PH, The Ph said if you got bit by a Black mamba to sit in the shade of a tree so you wouldn't stink so bad when they found you.

01-Oct-22
Thanks for sharing that story , my friend had that happen to him and his guide and tracker were all sitting in the blind when the black mamba came into there blind , the snake had coiled up under my friend’s chair , the guide decided with my friend that he would jump to open the door for my friend to get out and then the guide followed with the tracker , it worked .

01-Oct-22

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Pic shortly after the mamba was no longer wrapped around my ankle.
Pic shortly after the mamba was no longer wrapped around my ankle.
Mamba was 10’ long.
Mamba was 10’ long.
The single most F-d up situation I’ve ever experienced. So lucky.

01-Oct-22

He didn’t like being poked with a stick. In hindsight this was incredibly stupid.
He didn’t like being poked with a stick. In hindsight this was incredibly stupid.
Scoot, my snake was a black mamba, not a green. The black mamba skin is a very dull metallic green but they get their name because the inside of their mouth is black as death.

01-Oct-22
Just read the whole hunt feature over again. That was a heck of a trip you had. Lucky to be alive really...that damn snake could have easily crawled up your pants leg. This was the third time I’ve read it over the years and still get the dang chills imagining it.

01-Oct-22
If it HAD bitten you, it would have made for a pretty short Bloodtrail challenge…

01-Oct-22
Makes trying to milk venom from the water moccasin in my bedroom story pale in comparison. But if you'd have seen my mom flipping out you'd understand that my life was in danger. Just not from the snake...

Very sad situation for the family. And a great story Pat...

02-Oct-22
Idk how you held it together pat…seems it wasn’t the fear as you poked him with a stick but holy crap. And like Perry noted, africas off my bucket list. No thanks. Lol

02-Oct-22
i spoke to a PH maybe 8 years ago that was bitten by a black mamba. He said he sat down against a tree to die and could feel the toxin working as his breathing got harder. He was incredibly lucky and they were installing some railroad tracks nearby and had some antivenom that saved his life. He had a long road to recovery. 2 years after that he had one come through the brush at him and go up his arm and onto a tree behind him. Said he was paralyzed.

That's about as close to being dead and resurrected as I have met on this earth.

06-Oct-22
sad and terrible stories. When I was 4 , a kid had just die days before we got to this cottage . Long story short, ever since, I kill any and all snakes that cross my path and I don't feel guilty about it.

06-Oct-22

spike78's Link
This guy takes Mamba bites like their nothing. He took like 4 in this video amazing.

16-Oct-22
Yes, One of the most feared snakes I can think of. My PH at Angus Brown (Nick McBride) told me about an incident involving his good friend who encountered one on the road. They stopped and it made for the underside up into the suspension. He tried to get it out with a stick and was subsequently bit but only got a glancing strike which appeared to involve a single fang wound., so not a lot of venom was delivered. He was airlifted to a hospital after receiving airbag resuscitation in the chopper. He was in a coma for 11 days but eventually recovered. Just shows you the deadly potency of that black devil. I would have kept driving fast!

16-Oct-22
Yes, One of the most feared snakes I can think of. My PH at Angus Brown (Nick McBride) told me about an incident involving his good friend who encountered one on the road. They stopped and it made for the underside up into the suspension. He tried to get it out with a stick and was subsequently bit but only got a glancing strike which appeared to involve a single fang wound., so not a lot of venom was delivered. He was airlifted to a hospital after receiving airbag resuscitation in the chopper. He was in a coma for 11 days but eventually recovered. Just shows you the deadly potency of that black devil. I would have kept driving fast!

16-Oct-22
A garter snake is as deadly to me as a black mamba...

16-Oct-22
The thing that throws me off about this…? This was not an “Attack“. It was just a snake that got into where it didn’t belong/people crowding its space.

I don’t think the snake had any intention of eating any of the people that it bit, and I don’t think they are in the habit of biting anything that they don’t perceive as a threat. So it’s just a very sad situation.

But snakes are fine. I sure wish I could borrow a few of our big black rat snakes that we have up here to clean up my chipmunk problem.

17-Oct-22
Was watching some video of mambas and once they become disturbed, they do become aggressive and seem to attack and chase...

17-Oct-22

Zbone's Link
Wouldn't want to be stuck in a small room with a pissed of mamba, here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svLCryez4x0&t=293s

17-Oct-22
Az-rich, we had a very similar situation in May. We were creeping along in the land cruiser looking for Eland tracks. Me, My wife, a tracker and the PH were all riding in the back. and a Mamba stood up right next to the truck his head approx 5 feet off the ground and he glared at us. I saw him on the ground before he stood up and yelled mamba. The driver thought we must have found an Eland track and stopped the truck when I yelled. Maybe that’s why the snake stood up.

There we are stopped with a mamba 2-3’ from us standing on the lower half of his body.

The PH reached for the 1911 on his hip, while yelling to the driver to drive.

the snake lowered and slide away very fast. That snake was mad and was very close to striking. We got lucky.

Shortly after, we struck a track and got out and went after the Eland. all except my wife. She was done stalking animals for a few days. :>)))

17-Oct-22
Yes everyone spending time in the bush there will have their own stories of mamba encounters. Luckily most of us go on safari during their winter so rarely are they seen then. Angus Brown once told me about a black mamba that had decided to hang out inside a particular termite mound in his cow pasture. In the course of 24 hrs it managed to kill all of his cattle in that enclosure, as they were in the habit of rubbing themselves on the termite mound, and subsequently were bit by that snake. He was pretty emphatic about the loss of his livestock and I’m sure he was serious. I always got the creeps when I used to sit in a sunken blind real close to a river which was made of vertical reeds and was not impervious to any wondering snakes. Thank God I never had an experience like Pat’s but I could never ever relax in that f’-ing blind!

• Sitka Gear