Bou'bound 01-Dec-22
WhattheFOC 01-Dec-22
Nick Muche 04-Dec-22
WhattheFOC 05-Dec-22
Ricardo Longoria 10-Dec-22
fuzzy 11-Dec-22
fuzzy 22-Dec-22
31-Oct-22
Have to give him a HUGE THANK YOU!. I sent him a message that a buddy is gonna be hunting Kodiak brown bear soon. He's sending some arrows to try. My friend is VERY open to try them! Just wanna give out a kudos to Rickardo for the great gesture. Very kind of you and THANK YOU! If he kills a bear, I'll follow up with a story.

31-Oct-22
Awesome!

31-Oct-22
He’s a great guy. And a hell of a bowhunter.

31-Oct-22
Got to enjoy a Central Barren Ground Caribou bowhunt with Ricardo many years ago. The third guy in our camp (Katrona Gabor) had one of the funniest lines of the camp.....and whenever I used to run into Ricardo, one of us would invariably relive that comment. When I was conducting research for my arrows for a 2015 elephant bowhunt, Ricardo was extremely helpful with his recommendations.

31-Oct-22

31-Oct-22
Generous offer for sure.

But isn’t it a bit strange to be ‘trying’ a new arrow just a couple days before your brown bear hunt?

01-Nov-22
do share jake!

03-Nov-22
WhattheFOC I missed the "couple of days " part?

03-Nov-22
Got them today. WOW! I'd not think twice about punching these through big bucks scapula. Thanks again Ricardo. Hopefully my buddy will tag a Kodiak giant soon.

05-Nov-22
Please have him post his hunt story on here when he gets back. Kodiak is an adventure worth sharing!

05-Nov-22
Bearman - which outfitter is your buddy going with? I have a friend headed there tomorrow.

05-Nov-22
Man yall are killing me with the Kodiak trips! I loved that place. Please post pics and stories!

05-Nov-22
WTF, he's going solo. He's an Alaskan resident. Will see how it goes.

05-Nov-22
A DIY solo archery bear trip on Kodiak. Even better! Your boy has balls, for sure. I hope he connects on a good one. Love to see even a few pics. I'm stuck here in VA hunting deer. (Not complaining tho deer hunting is my first love)

05-Nov-22
Scoot, I'm at the cabin. Send me pic of a deer, I need to see what one looks like. Lol. SLOW......

05-Nov-22
what arrows was he planning to use that got scrapped for the new ones. What is the comparison.

05-Nov-22
If the new arrows work out, is he going to give away his old arrows? I have a buddy who would take them.

06-Nov-22
He is (was) going to shoot FMJ and 125 Montecs. He's real private so I know he won't post a story but hopefully he'll let me post a pic or 2. Was supposed to be there now but delayed it due to flying weather. Hopefully regroup real soon.

06-Nov-22
Yep I know first had that Kodiak can be weathery this time of year. If you talk to him give him our wishes for luck and success. I'm super impressed by his adventure plans. Solo DIY archery Kodiak bear. Wow!

06-Nov-22
Solo Kodiak - no backup. That’s the real deal !!!

Bearman … u didn’t get the arrows until Thursday!! Yikes, that’s tight - did the arrows make it to AK on time??

06-Nov-22
He has a house in MN near me. He's here now. Will take the arrows with him when he Flys out.

06-Nov-22
Good luck! I hope the arrows fly better that the planes.

06-Nov-22
Kodiak airport is a little nerve-wracking to a nervous flyer (me) even in good weather. Be safe friend-of-Bearman

07-Nov-22
Looks like if he can get into Anchorage tomorrow or Weds he'll have good flying weather to Kodiak Thursday. Kodiak is going to be socked in with rain today and tomorrow but Anchorage is looking pretty clear.

07-Nov-22
Ya I checked the weather network for Kodiak. Rain for a couple days but after that it’s 100% chance of big balls.

09-Nov-22
If he's going he should be in AK by now. It's actually good luck he had a couple days to try out the arrows. How'd they fly off his setup? Not too stiff?

11-Nov-22
Hey Bearman, any updates from the solo brown Bearman?

11-Nov-22
Most of Kodiak is a cellphone dead zone. I'm sure he's on the ground now. Hope he can call in updates with a Sat Phone. I'll keep checking in here for updates.

11-Nov-22
He's not there yet. He and his gal had a baby 2 weeks early. He's still got plenty of time but has that to get things settled before he goes. I'll let you guys know how it goes when he's done.

12-Nov-22
Wow. Ok yeah keep us posted. He's a braver man than I thought btw. Planning a solo remote country trip with a 9 months pregnant wife/gf. That shit takes balls!

14-Nov-22
This raises an interesting question. Which is more ferocious… a woman in labour or a brown bear with an arrow in it???

Heading to kodiak on a bear hunt just as the premee baby and mama are coming home from the hospital … this guy really IS fearless. This will make a great story for the Bowsite … Bearman, please deliver!

14-Nov-22
Sounds like quite a guy

14-Nov-22
Hope he is carrying a BIG back-up gun of some kind! SOLO - Kodiak - bear, Naaa, I'll pass.

15-Nov-22
Hey solo brown Bearman … only two weeks left in the season. Better get this show on the road!!

15-Nov-22
Alaska resident with a house in MN, hmmmmm. Not much time left in the Kodiak fall bear season either.

15-Nov-22
He's gonna leave tomarro if it pans out. Will let you know how it goes when he's done.

15-Nov-22
Hats off. Brave man.

15-Nov-22
Hats off. Brave man.

15-Nov-22
Two hats? ??

15-Nov-22
Yep. Hat #1 (10 gallon Stetson) is for solo wilderness brown bear hunting. Hat #2 (at least a 25 gallon hat) is bailing on the little woman with a <1 week old preemie.

15-Nov-22
The most interesting man in the world…his 10 gallon hat holds 20 gallons!!

15-Nov-22
Am I missing something? Sound like some negativity? So, I'm done with this thread. No more updates. Thanks again Ricardo Longoria for the very generous gesture.

15-Nov-22
No Bearman, much respect for him from me with my comment if you know what I’m referencing with those ads.

15-Nov-22

Enjoy the arrows!

16-Nov-22
No negatives from me. I'm just excited about the hunt !

16-Nov-22
Bearman these guys are just ribbing you a bit. It seems like Ricardo and you have gone above and beyond to help this guy out. I apologize if you feel caught in the middle . After all you got nothing from the deal. I'll tell you what, if you can't get your friend to send some hunt detail s and pics, I'll make it up to you by sending you some arrows. I have your details in an earlier comment in this thread.

16-Nov-22
I should apologize - it was me who asked fuzzy about hats, which then led to this thread deteriorating in to a bizarre series of stetson slurs that are highly offensive in the LGBTcowboyhat community. :)

All kidding aside - Bearman, I am too emotionally invested in this bear hunt … it can’t stop here. As a form of “paying it forward” for the arrows - PLEASE keep us informed on the solo brown bear hunt. I will never be able to hunt there, but I can live it thru the experiences of others. Your buddy should be en route to Kodiak today - right?

This is going to be epic - I know it.

17-Nov-22
I'm still thinking about all the prep that goes into a hunt, the details, fine points, etc. A bear hunt for many would be years of detail preparation and refinement. I can't get someone deciding a few days before the hunt that they will change the most important part of their set up, the arrow/broadhead, and run with that.

It may be far better, just seems strange to be willing to change at the last minute. If he was not "all in" on what he was planning to use "pre-richardo" why was that in the arsenal.

17-Nov-22
Bou , the pre- Ricardo arrows were FMJ/Montec. Adequate, but the new ones are an upgrade. Due to a couple delays, the solo brown Bearman has had time to test and dial - now it’s time to hunt. I’ve never heard of someone doing this hunt as a solo DIY. Looking forward to the story.

17-Nov-22
Imagine just packing out the hide solo! Not to mention the meat.. I'm not sure if brown bear fall under the AK wanton waste law but if so,, Whew! Hope he kills near the beach. At least it'll be cold enough not to spoil but you're looking at 5 trips kill site to pickup point (at the beach if he's doing Beaver fly in ) and that's if he's one hell of a strong man and can pack 150 plus pound loads through those hammocks and red alder. . I really hope we get to hear the details on this one. What an epic adventure!

17-Nov-22
Fuzzy, I checked the regs and pretty sure you don’t have to take the meat. It would take me three trips just to get the hide out ??

Bearman … wassup?

17-Nov-22
This is a weird thread. The hunts sounds, well... haphazard.

17-Nov-22
Yep I checked the regs, unless it's a subsistence hunt he can leave the meat. Assuming he kills a decent bear, fleshes the hide well, turns out and cleans the skull pretty well he might get the hide weight down under 100#. He could also completely skin out the skull and do a return trip or split the hide. His taxidermist won't thank him but his back and knees will. Oh to be that young, strong and dumb again! There was a time I'd have tried it.

17-Nov-22
I wonder what’s the record for most times looking over your shoulder while fleshing a bear? Solo brown Bearman will have a tired neck before he ever starts packing. Epic!

17-Nov-22
WTF not an issue. Brown bear limit is two. He can do a performance comparison between the FMJ/Montec setup and the RL, dangerous game arrows.

17-Nov-22
I wonder what’s the record for most times looking over your shoulder while fleshing a bear? Solo brown Bearman will have a tired neck before he ever starts packing. Epic!

17-Nov-22
What’s the odds the hunt happens or the fella just got a new set of arrows???

18-Nov-22
Oh this is happening! I've got way too much emotional investment now. I have to get a "ride along " on this hunt. Please Bearman let us know when he checks in!

18-Nov-22
I sure hope it’s a go. I’ve seen enough of Bearman’s posts to know he’s a standup guy. He promised a story at the beginning of this thread and I’m sure he’ll make good on that.

19-Nov-22
You can cut the anticipation with a knife. Or one of the free broadheads if you prefer. When is this thing going to commence.

19-Nov-22
2024 Bou. After the next presidential election.

19-Nov-22
If he does salvage any meat I'd like to try some. I've had caribou Mule deer blacktail deer, elk, moose, black bear, raccoon, mountain lion, bobcat, gray squirrel, fox squirrel, wild boar, alligator, snapping turtle, ostrich, Kangaroo, muskrat, Beaver (the aquatic rodent) musk ox, bison, frog legs, seal, shark, rattlesnake , bobwhite , ruffed grouse, quail, wild turkey, fallow deer, and several others. Brown bear, pronghorn, javelina, and camel are on my want to try list.

19-Nov-22
Fuzzy? What kind of American hasn't eaten whitetail deer?

19-Nov-22
RT , ouch! I've eaten truckloads of whitetail (deer) can't believe I left that one off

19-Nov-22
Are the arrows fletched with vanes or feathers?

20-Nov-22
If this hunt is delayed any further, it’s going to go from a DIY do it yourself hunt to a DIY den invasion yourself hunt because those suckers are gonna be hibernating

20-Nov-22
Plus it'll be poaching. Season end looms. I assume Bearman's "Amigo Sin Nombre" is currently boots on the ground on Kodiak. Has he checked in with you Bearman?

20-Nov-22
Nick - I think there was a picture of the arrows on the original thread, but I can’t find it. Feathers, I think.

Cmon Bearman, boots on ground??

20-Nov-22
Some of you may already be following the saga but for those who've missed it, here's an ongoing example of the incredible generosity of this community. Ricardo Longoria recently offered to gift some of his dangerous game arrows to anyone who had a use for them. "Bearman" Dave Gotterman of Minnesota (I think, maybe ND?) brokered the transfer to his close friend who was going after Kodiak Bear. The fella had some delays with weather (Kodiak is darn weathery in fall) and with an unexpected early delivery of a bundle of joy. (Congratulations Amigo, hope all is well with the baby and mother, kids are the true joy in life) Now that things have settled down at home, AMS is presumably boots on the ground on Kodiak pursuing the dream. This kind of thing is what makes Bowsite for me. Years ago the late Jim in Oregon/ Dire Wolf gifted me a yew bow stave. Since then I've tried to repay his generosity whenever I can. I've had Bowsite folks gift me items, put me up for hunts, share hunting trips and advice, the list goes on. I'm extra excited to hear how this hunt goes because it reinforces the inherent sense of tradition, community and generosity of the Bowsite

20-Nov-22
Here's the original thread:

Dangerous Game Arrows

20-Nov-22
Thanks ‘sender, looks like 3”plastic vanes.

21-Nov-22
Bearman, did you scrape off Ricardo’s vanes and replace with feathers to ensure a complete pass thru on the brown bear?

Do you have any updates on the hunt?

21-Nov-22
I'm on pins and needles til he gets back.

22-Nov-22
Waiting is the hardest part!

22-Nov-22
It sure is Nick!

22-Nov-22
Only a few days left in the season. Probably gonna be another one of those last minute solo brown bear kills. Those stories never get old.

22-Nov-22
Bearman what’s the good word from the hunter. Confirmation of current status would be appreciated since you brought up this adventure and got us all hooked.

24-Nov-22
Tomorrow is last day of brown bear season. !!!

24-Nov-22
Yay! We should get the story soon!

24-Nov-22
Nov 30th is the last day I believe. Still some time for the Alaska resident living in MN to finish his DIY Solo Brown Bear bowhunt with these arrows.

24-Nov-22
Thanks for the correction Nick - I thought it was the 25th. Nothing an AK resident looks forward to more than going home to the family in MN.

25-Nov-22
Still quivering with anticipation

25-Nov-22
Well, at least SOMEONE got some new arrows out of the deal.

26-Nov-22
Any updates on the MN Man hunting Kodiak solo with these arrows?

26-Nov-22
Those free arrows look good.

26-Nov-22
Yes they do. Be some great heads for stickbow hunting hogs. Wish I'd thought up a quick lie to get them. "Snooze you lose".

26-Nov-22
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VUaiNAabX80

26-Nov-22
Does anyone know if Ricardo has any more arrows to give away?

Personally, I would have no use for these arrows, but I have a buddy who is going on a solo diy elephant hunt in a couple of days. He’s a Zimbabwe resident who resides in Saskatchewan. He is ok with trying new arrows the day before he leaves - he might even buy a new bow on the way to the airport. I sure hope the fog in Zim lifts soon enough for him to fly out before his wife goes in to labour …

There’s a lion in the yard.

29-Nov-22
I'd love to have just one for the "wow" factor. I'd display it in a shadow bow with a plaque recording it's provenance. Ricardo Longoria is the real deal.

29-Nov-22
Those Grizzly Stik 170's run about 450.00 per dozen for finished arrows from the factory, not including broadheads. The 315 grain Ashby heads, if that's what those are, run 560.00 per dozen off Grizzly Stik's site. So the total cost would come in right at a grand for a dozen complete hunting arrows, plus shipping, twice. No kiddin' he's one heckuva guy to give those away!

29-Nov-22
Helluva guy for sure.

It’s unfortunate that the arrows went to a scammer. Bearman got these arrows under false pretences. His ‘Kodiak buddy’ story was bs from the beginning.

29-Nov-22
WTF agreed. It smelled a little fishy from the get-go but I really didn't want to believe it. The story about the premature baby setting things back smelled to high heaven but still, some guys are like that. Then it became obvious the guy is a lying P.O.S. No skin off my nose but I hate to see people scammed.

29-Nov-22
If Bearman wants to make it right, he should return the arrows or ‘pay them forward’ to someone actually planning a dangerous game hunt (not an imaginary friend).

29-Nov-22
This is the internet man. No benefit of any stinkin’ doubt is necessary to play here.

29-Nov-22
Read the thread. There should be no doubt.

29-Nov-22
Scoot I posted my reasoning above.

30-Nov-22

fuzzy's embedded Photo
fuzzy's embedded Photo

30-Nov-22
Scoot I read the thread too. With great interest. The post I screen spotted and posted seems to imply you know the guy pretty well. As you say I may be wrong about the situation and if so I stand ready to offer an abject apology.

30-Nov-22
Sorry scooter, this one don’t pass the sniff test.

30-Nov-22
As far as slinging 1000 grain arrows at a soft-skinned animal like a bear, even the larger species of bears.....it's possible someone has done so in the past, maybe for the "cool factor", but probably rare. From what I know, most guys use standard 400-550 grain set-ups. Personally, I don't have massive experience with bears, but I have taken both a brown bear and a grizzly with archery gear, and that's what I used for both....TAW of 450 grains including an ordinary mid-weight 3-blade head. Easy pass through on both. I wouldn't have wanted to double the arrow shaft weight at the last minute before those hunts. But once again, for the gentleman Ricardo, to not even question the intended use of the donated arrows, says a heckuva lot about his character.

30-Nov-22
Sender, your points are 100% valid. The only thing softer than a bear is an imaginary bear.

30-Nov-22
2 weeks ago Bearman said he's not adding any more updates to this thread, and he hasn't. Seems like a man of his word to me.

30-Nov-22
Yup. Busted.

30-Nov-22
It does seem that Bearman could clear this up pretty quickly and easily. Not sure his reasons for not, since he did just post recently on the thread he created. Puzzling.

30-Nov-22
Ambush … I’m not sure how he would mop up this mess, but it might be fun to see him try.

30-Nov-22
Scoot I have not accused YOU of anything. Just seemed like you might know the guy based on the comment.

30-Nov-22
Ya Scoot I’m not so sure about #2, but it might be entertaining.

My dad once told me that the first thing you should do when you find yourself in a hole is … stop shovelling.

30-Nov-22
Scoot, honest answer. Thank you. I apologize if you felt disparaged.

30-Nov-22
Last day of the season today! Maybe an update soon!

30-Nov-22
You can cut the anticipation with a knife. Or one of the free broadheads if you prefer. When is this thing going to commence.

Bearman what’s the good word from the hunter. Confirmation of current status would be appreciated since you brought up this adventure and got us all hooked.

Bou, you've left us hanging for four years on the result of your cougar hunt, have some patience!

01-Dec-22
Bear season over. To be continued in spring 2023.

01-Dec-22
Patience guys. Patience.

He may have been detained at the airport regarding his dual AK/MN residency. These things happen.

04-Dec-22
Well Dave, how did your best friend fare on Kodiak island with these free arrows?

05-Dec-22
Bearman ???? If the arrows worked well. It sounds like there are more for the taking.

10-Dec-22
It is disappointing to see the finger pointing and insinuations. If Bearman wanted them to shoot squirrels, that is absolutely fine with me. There are/were no strings attached. All arrows and broadheads have been spoken for. Enjoy. And please pay it forward, when you can.

11-Dec-22
I apologize for my part in this. I do appreciate your generosity.

22-Dec-22
Ricardo Longoria Thank you for the dangerous game arrow you sent. I'm going to display it as a part of bowhunting history. Could you please tell me a little about the provenance of the arrows? Was there a specific hunt you made them to take on? Game pursued? Year? Was the hunt successful?

• Sitka Gear