SteveB 12-Nov-22
Bwhnt 12-Nov-22
LOSTNwoods 12-Nov-22
ToomanybowsBob 13-Nov-22
Bou'bound 19-Nov-22
10-Nov-22

Mule Power's embedded Photo
A guy a guy became friends with lives in Columbiana county Ohio. He hunts maybe 3 days a year all on his own property. Last year he put a trail cam out for the first time ever. In 2 days he had pics of several monster bucks. 16 point non typical, a couple other big non typicals, and some giant 8 and 10 points.

Two days ago he sent me this picture. He was going to hunt but his wife said let’s just take a walk and this buck popped up. So he decided to hunt one day this bow season! It’s 1.5 hours from my house. I’ve known the guy for 4 years. I’m welcome to hunt and I’ve never made it there. Jesus I gotta get over there!

10-Nov-22
yes, you do need to get over there! what a beautiful buck.

10-Nov-22
Joe, you need to make your peace with the high cost of travel and GO! Like, tomorrow!

10-Nov-22
Heck, I'll rent a Cadillac, pick ya up and drive us there ;-)

10-Nov-22
Has he had success? Sounds like a damn good spot

10-Nov-22
What a brute.

10-Nov-22
I hope you hit the road for Ohio right after you typed this post!

I was working near Barnesville, Ohio about 7 years ago. It was in October and November and I was staying out there through the week. I have never seen so many big racked bucks or big bodied deer in general. Every morning and evening to and from the job site brought at least one giant sighting and usually multiple.

I was told that their is a genetic line that stretches from Albeta down into parts of Ohio and that's why they are so big. Even the doe were heavy haulers. I don't know if that's true but it makes sense to me.

10-Nov-22
I worked for the state of Ohio for a number of years and hunted Pike, Scioto, Ross, Highland, and Adams counties a lot. I really enjoyed it and miss it. Great deer hunting in many areas.

10-Nov-22
Enjoy the hunting Joe! I’m with Scoot. I think you need some camaraderie. Shoot us some directions.

10-Nov-22
Hey uncle Joe, It’s me, your long lost nephew. You promised to take me hunting with you.

10-Nov-22
Mule

Ohio is totally different from PA. I'd be happy to show you all the Ohio tactics. Stand placements, calling styles, heck I'll even shoot the first couple of monsters so you can learn the difference ??. Get your but over there. They are on the move right now.

10-Nov-22
Why are you posting get in a tree :)

10-Nov-22
Our family farm that I grew up hunting is just across the border from Columbiana County on the PA side. Before the antler restrictions, you were lucky to see anything older than a 1.5 year old. Definitely seeing bigger deer on the PA side nowadays but there's still something mystical and magical about the deer in Ohio.

10-Nov-22
I have an Uncle that lives near where the Beatty buck was killed. I always think I should visit him for a week in November sometime! ;-)

10-Nov-22

These are his cam pictures from last year. There are more. The camera was out for 1 day!

10-Nov-22

10-Nov-22
My dad shot a nontypical that was 135# and 3.5 years old. He had several inches of broken antler. It was very close the where the hole in the horn buck was found dead a long time ago. His deer scored 185. That deer had world class potential. He was a young deer and had broken tines.

10-Nov-22
Nice selfies. If you can't go, I will pay to go!

10-Nov-22
Can I hunt where you’re hunting now because it’s gotta be a damn good spot for you not to be where your friend is inviting you to

10-Nov-22
Just don’t get on Pat’s ground, the Amish might get pissed ! ;-)

10-Nov-22
I keep coming back and looking at that deer in the original post. That’s my dream buck. What an absolute stud. Go kill him Joe!!!

10-Nov-22
There are no deer in Ohio...8^)

10-Nov-22
Apparently I'm hunting the wrong parts of Ohio...

10-Nov-22

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Ohio is amazing, but he’s obviously got a special place there. You’re making it sound like there’s booners on every property, there is not.

My county borders Columbiana, there’s pockets that hold giants in every Ohio county. Without a doubt Ohio is definitely an exceptionally well run deer program. I wish the NE states would replicate their regs.

Buying a farm here was one of the best moves I’ve ever made. Love this state, both for deer hunting and for the politics!

10-Nov-22
Dang Pat, that one looks like a possible Booner?

10-Nov-22
I know better than that Pat. I’ve hunted Ohio before. Numbers were low where I was. That was in the southeast part of the state. I also hunted way west near Bellefontaine. Much bigger bucks and better numbers. From what I’ve seen the monsters ate unpredictable. Lots of them are killed by kids and little old ladies. They are definitely there. The quality of bucks is better than Pa but hunting the big bucks seems more like playing the lottery than hunting. But as the lottery people say… ya gotta play to win.

11-Nov-22
Mule, you can’t pass up a special opportunity like that! Get on over there now!

You sure made the right decision with your place, Pat. Still hoping for a Bowsite rut hunt there for all Members who been with ya for more than 10 years….or end of January doe shoot?

I moved to Ohio in ‘96 specifically for the whitetail hunting that Roger Rothhaar described in his two great books, and man did I experience it/learn a lot! While I saw and got to hunt some great bucks, I learned that they were on a higher level than me and I never did tag a great one there, but had fun trying. Left in ‘02 for work and often regret that, but I get to return every fall for a bit. Love that state!

11-Nov-22
I was lucky enough to gain permission to hunt 184 amazing acres in Tuscarawas county from 2014-2021. Property was sold in July to the local boy scout camp through a grant from the state. Even though it says right in their by laws, "no hunting without permission" they gave me a hard no...I had gotten permission to blood trail a few over the years so we had a relationship but still a hard no...I had shot a few P&Y's in NJ and PA prior but man did my big buck count go way up once I had some good ground in OH! My first buck on the ground was a 153" 12 pt in 2015. The next year was a 163" 10 pt. Couple amazing years! I shot another 156" back in 2020. A few 130s in the mix also. As Pat said, I truly believe every county in OH holds monsters and quite a few. Finding good unpressured land in OH is key. I have really been struggling this year. I found a few pieces of private but nothing like what I had. Ohio is simply amazing for big buck.

11-Nov-22
And then there was Kelly Harris’s lease. 1000 acres in Vinton county. Nice!

12-Nov-22

SteveB's embedded Photo
SteveB's embedded Photo
On our small Ohio place Columbiana County line. 210 3/8 gross. My son took him gun season. I had him at 42 yds with my bow at dusk and held off as it was early season. Never had another chance. Pat is right, Ohio is awesome but these bucks are rare. Must be intensely managed, or a very unique parcel setup…..or VERY lucky.

12-Nov-22
They wouldn't be special if they weren't rare...congrats on that one!

12-Nov-22
Congrats

13-Nov-22

ToomanybowsBob's embedded Photo
ToomanybowsBob's embedded Photo
Yeah, you do! TMBB

19-Nov-22
Can I hunt where you’re hunting now because it’s gotta be a damn good spot for you not to be where your friend is inviting you to

• Sitka Gear