DanaC 18-Nov-22
Pintail 18-Nov-22
Woods Walker 18-Nov-22
Shug 18-Nov-22
Pete In Fairbanks 19-Nov-22
fuzzy 20-Nov-22
11-Nov-22

DanaC's Link
In Surprise Decision, New Jersey Governor Says He Will End Controversial Bear Hunting Ban

Governor Phil Murphy banned bear hunting in 2018 via executive order. Today, he reversed course citing public safety concerns

By Travis Hall | Published Nov 10, 2022 2:59 PM

11-Nov-22
I didn’t know a governor could overrule everyone and make that happen. Thought it had to go through the process from bill to law. It will be interesting to watch how this works in NJ.

11-Nov-22
"Executive powers" are overused constantly these days on the State and National level. At least this time he saw reason before a major tragedy

11-Nov-22
Authority over wildlife/hunting rules, laws etc. varies from state to state. Apparently in NJ the Governor can do this. (Never mind what a board of trained game biologists thinks...)

11-Nov-22
Scoot it looks like it was the same Governor

11-Nov-22
The Gov was able to stop the legal hunt in a simple way. The courts had determined that a "comprehensive bear mgt plan" needed to be in place for the F&G Council to authorize a hunt. DEP biologists drew up the plan, but the Governor WOULD NOT ALLOW his DEP commissioner to SIGN it. Thus, it was never in force and hunt could not proceed.

I'm leery about what the guv and his whackadoodle AR friends have up their sleeve. Despite the governors apparent "conversion," I find it hard to believe that he is willing to do the right thing and actually "follow the science."

I'm not holding my breath!

Pete

11-Nov-22
I was on the Chesapeake Bay fishing for Rock Fish (Stripers for u non Marylanders) when I got a call from a farmer in NJ where I did a bunch of bear huns on. He was excited for me to come up and get some of the bears out of his area. I was going to go do a Depredation hunt there a couple months ago but the State would not let do it unless I had my FID card which entitles NJ the right to own a gun. Go figure. The message from the Governor made me laugh. He is the ultimate politician. First he played to critter lovers now that he is good to go for his second term now he wants to protect the families of NJ from the dangerous bears. Either way I hope to be in NJ on Dec 5th.

11-Nov-22
CT next?

11-Nov-22
Tommy depending on your location you might not be too far from good bear hunting in Mass. Saw pix of one taken during early season, reputed to scale 600 lbs.

11-Nov-22
Tracker, if you were fishing for strippers, wouldn't they be "bare huns", not "bear huns"? :)

11-Nov-22
Tracker I sure miss the good ole days of fishing for strippers. I never did land one but spent a lot of dollars trying!

11-Nov-22

Tracker's embedded Photo
Tracker's embedded Photo
I have been advised that I am not a lot to troll for strippers by my wife, Stripers are allowed thou??

12-Nov-22
The NJ Fish & Game Council is scheduled to meet on Tuesday (Nov 15) in Trenton to hear public testimony (that should be interesting....!) and vote on whether to authorize the hunt for this year.

Pete

13-Nov-22
There was a kid that got mauled a week or so ago in Morris County (nothing serious). From what is on the street the family was friends with murphy thus the reason for the U turn in policy. Never mind the number of pets killed, crop damage and property damage so far due to ending the hunt. Tuesday's meeting should be a good one as the bunny huggers are mobilizing their numbers. Stay tuned for the bawling in the streets........

14-Nov-22
Wishing NJ citizens - and hunters - all the best.

Here in MA, even with generous seasons and otc permits we have a hard time harvesting enough bears. Bunny/bear huggers are remarkably ignorant of population dynamics.

15-Nov-22
Danac same in Virginia. Near being a nuisace here

15-Nov-22
"The NJ Fish & Game Council is scheduled to meet on Tuesday (Nov 15) in Trenton to hear public testimony (that should be interesting....!) and vote on whether to authorize the hunt for this year."

Sounds like more ballot box biology. And it doesn't matter if they vote to implement a bear season. My guess is lawsuits and injunctions will follow.

15-Nov-22
Tom, our state F&W dept. conducts public hearings every year. It allows for feedback but also gives them a chance to explain their reasoning behind seasons and bag limits etc. (And allows them to address the anti-scientific rants from disgruntled hunters and anti-hunters alike.)

16-Nov-22
As of right now, the NJ bear season is scheduled to run during the week of firearm buck season. The target is to reduce the population by 20%, if the numbers fall short then the season will be extended for another week. Permits go on sale Thursday supposedly. Haven't heard anything on permit price but in past years the tag was two bucks.

17-Nov-22
Bought my Bear tag today. Cant wait for the hunt to begin. I archery hunted NJ for 5 years before the season was canceled. Should be a lot of bears this year.

18-Nov-22
Good luck Tracker!

18-Nov-22
Is it going to open just in time for hibernation? If their is a lack of acorns that could be the case.

18-Nov-22
Seen bears in MA second week of December, not sure of exact NJ season dates. ??

PS bears do not truly 'hibernate' if temps are moderate and food is available.

18-Nov-22
Bears don't hibernate in NJ, they move to the city for the winter and dumpster dive...

18-Nov-22
If they were the Chicago Bears they couldn't score in NJ either!

Illinois joke.......

Q...."What's the best way to keep bears out of your yard?"

A...."Put up GOAL POSTS!"

18-Nov-22
FYI bow hunting will not be allowed this season… Shotgun and Mzl loader only

19-Nov-22
Most NJ bears do not truly "hibernate." Only the pregnant sows.

The rest of the population wander about all winter long, although during colder inclement weather they will lay up and not move much.

We will have a much better bear season if the weather is warm. More bears will be up and moving about.

I bought my bear tag yesterday.

Pete

20-Nov-22
Shug that sucks. Wonder what the logic is on that? VA allows "lesser weapon" during all Firearms and ML seasons

• Sitka Gear