t-roy 20-Dec-22
BOHNTR 20-Dec-22
Zbone 20-Dec-22
Grey Ghost 20-Dec-22
18-Nov-22

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Picture at the meat processor. What a brute!
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Picture at the meat processor. What a brute!
A friend sent me this!

A guy named Xen McAllister shot the buck on 11-17-2022. Fayette County. Southern Illinois. From my understanding he shot it on private ground. One comment from one of his family members says they have 5 years of trail camera pictures of the deer (none posted yet) another family member of his says they have 2 years of trail camera pictures of him (none shared yet) and that a bunch of locals have been after this deer for years. No one has previous years sheds to my knowledge No field pictures of the deer, no video, and the hunter doesn’t use social media (from the comments I’ve read about the deer) He came in around 240-243”.

18-Nov-22
Beautiful deer. Waiting to hear the details.

18-Nov-22
WOW! Gagger for sure! Unfortunately (typical score wise) quite a bit of deductions that will bring the score down, if it gets officially scored and entered as a typical. Actually looks pretty symmetrical. Love all the junk!

18-Nov-22
Congratulations to the hunter. Whale of a buck, almost unbelievable!!!

18-Nov-22
State record what? The Pope Young world record was shot in Illinois. Are we saying this buck will net over 204 as a typical? Like the last 50+ years, my money is on the "no"

18-Nov-22
Does anyone know if he shot it with a bow, or a crossbow? Might be the state record for bolt slingers.

18-Nov-22
That thing will be scored as a non typical for sure. I bet that buck doesn’t even make boone as a typical. But as a non typ, yea 220-240 doesn’t seem unreasonable. Gorgeous buck and congrats to the hunter. In 2012 I killed an incredibly typical looking buck. Absolute stud. Goes just north of 196 as a non typ, but went something like 150 as a typical because of just a few odds n ends. It’s almost hard to believe. A little bit of trash here and there can really hurt the typical score, and fast.

Love that he isn’t on social media :) love the low key guys, he’s so low key, he only takes his trophy photos at the butcher! Ha!

18-Nov-22
It's just an amazing deer, no matter what he scores.

18-Nov-22
Wow - buck of my dreams for sure. Congratulations to the hunter.

18-Nov-22
48 inches of deductions. I ain’t buying it. That thing is a typical or nontypical booner IMO. But I’ve been wrong before.

Great deer. Congrats to the hunter. Sito X2

18-Nov-22
Man that is a BIG deer.

18-Nov-22
Incredible deer. If I had to guess prob has 30" of deductions. If I cared a hoot about them. What a stud. Congrats to that guy.

18-Nov-22

18-Nov-22
M.Pauls: 48" is more then "a few odds and ends" in my book.

18-Nov-22
I am only seeing anout 20" of dedictions which would easily make it B&C either way if it actually grosses 240".

18-Nov-22
Good for him! Total brute!

18-Nov-22

Grey Ghost's Link
Beautiful buck!

I recently ran across an article that listed total number of B&C entries by state. I was surprised to see that Wisconsin was #1 and Illinois was #2. I was also surprised to see Minnesota at #4.

Matt

18-Nov-22
I think No

18-Nov-22
Well, it’s a helluva buck no matter the score.

18-Nov-22
Nets are for fishermen :) Awesome buck!

18-Nov-22
Absolutely amazing deer! Congratulations to the hunter!

18-Nov-22
I wouldn’t have shot him. He only has one ear.

Much worse than droopy ears

18-Nov-22
Talk about a Xen moment.

18-Nov-22
Wow what a brute.

It would be so cool to see that deer stroll by at 20 yards from the tree.

18-Nov-22
Hey I’ve been wrong before and very well likely could be here again. And just to be clear, I’m in no way downplaying this buck, I’m just saying I think he’ll score out as a TREMENDOUS NT but I don’t see him doing well as a typical

Obviously I meant “a few odds n ends” somewhat sarcastically. But here’s a photo of the buck I was talking about. (My face is blacked out, cause I feel weird about posting my trophy pic in someone else’s big buck thread) For reference, that’s a main frame 6x7 with a spread of just over 20” and beams around 28”. Net non-typical is 195 5/8, and net typical is 151 2/8. It’s hard to see 45” in deductions in a buck like that, but they’re there. And this is officially scored, not just garage taped

18-Nov-22

M.Pauls's embedded Photo
M.Pauls's embedded Photo

18-Nov-22
I saw a picture of that buck long before 11/17/22

18-Nov-22
Why God! Why isn't this the norm for whitetails?

Why? Why?

OMG that is one great rack!!!

18-Nov-22
If it was the norm, we wouldn’t be ooohing and aaahing over it.

18-Nov-22
If it has 15" or more abnormal points, it's required to be entered as a NT. Boone and Crockett will allow any deer with 1" of abnormal to be entered as NT or a deer with 30" of abnormal points to be a Typical, as long as they make the minimum.

18-Nov-22
Wow, nice deer.

19-Nov-22
OMGosh, WOW, what a buck, CONGRATS to the hunter...

Thanks for sharing...

"Boone and Crockett will allow any deer with 1" of abnormal to be entered as NT or a deer with 30" of abnormal points to be a Typical"

Be interesting to learn if it has to be scored as a non-typical, and if officially scored as a typical, will it surpass Mel Johnson's 204-4/8" IL P&Y WR that has stood for 57 years...

19-Nov-22
Does anyone know what type of weapon it was shot with?

19-Nov-22
Based on the below deer hunting dates in Illinois, if this deer was killed on Nov 17 or prior, one or more days prior to rifle deer season and prior to the ML rifle season, it must have been an archery kill.

What are the dates for deer hunting in Illinois? ?2022 Season Dates First Firearm Deer Season: November 18, 19 & 20, 2022. Second Firearm Deer Season: December 1, 2, 3 & 4, 2022. Muzzleloader-Only Deer Season: December 9, 10 & 11, 2022 - Hunters may also use a muzzleloader permit with a muzzleloading rifle during Second Firearm Season December 1 - 4, 2022.

19-Nov-22

25-Nov-22
Any update or more info on this buck, couldn't find anything more like weapon type, etc., on internet... Usually when a buck surfaces supposedly with state or world record aspirations, the internet blows up for months about it... This buck went quiet after a few days...

26-Nov-22
Paul, our season starts 10/1. You can also hunt with a bow during the shotgun season with a gun tag on private and certain public. This one was taken the next county west of me, the Brewster buck was the county north of me. You’d think I’d get lucky someday.

Haven’t heard much about how the buck was taken. Lots of “good ol boys” in Fayette county that take deer hunting very seriously.

26-Nov-22
IL record? No offense, it's a great buck, but don't see a 204 5/8" typical, nor a 330-ish non-typical.

26-Nov-22
It was taken with a compound bow, there's other pictures online on the meat processors Facebook page (Korte Meat's) There's some accusations on there also that seem to surface when a deer of this caliber gets killed. Hopefully those are just B.S.

26-Nov-22
Amazing animal for sure!

26-Nov-22
Needs another year.

27-Nov-22
that's a good one Ollie

29-Nov-22
I want to be careful as to not misrepresent my involvment, but I know some about this buck. A friend of mine contacted me this summer and told me about this deer. It was in an area I have access too. I tried to get him access early, but it didnt work out. He had pics last year, and also found the right shed. I have seen it. I believe the right side scored between 95"-100". The only story I've heard is that another hunter missed this deer a couple days before the successful hunter got him. The pics I was sent showed a compound bow with the hunter. Congrats to the Hunter, That would be a tough shot to make!

29-Nov-22
Couldn’t care less about the score, typical, non typical, deductions, whatever book, etc. that’s a stunning animal. Congrats to the hunter.

29-Nov-22
Mostly amazed it wasn’t harvested by a dude from Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Michigan, Pennsylvania or other state with crappy deer management. Because that’s all I see here in November. This guy beat the odds.

29-Nov-22
Congratulations to the hunter regardless of score. Great buck.

30-Nov-22
That's classic Zim bitching about nonresidents when your also one lol

30-Nov-22
Zim bitches about any and everything! True story.

01-Dec-22
Nonresidents and first wife fire him up but the guy can hunt!!!!

01-Dec-22
Zim bitches about any and everything! True story.

This

01-Dec-22
Sorry to hear you are still jealous just because you failed to invest in ILDNR and get your own lifetime license back when they sold them. You should just let it go. I expect it’s especially tough for Highlife to accept that I will always have more rights in Illinois as himself. Despite he lives there and corrupt politicians forced me to move East due to $18k/year property taxes & bloated state employee pensions. One positive is I now actually live closer to my IL hunting public property. Lol

Also, it’s not the hunters from MS, LA, AL, GA, FL, TN, MI & PA I have a problem with. It’s the QUANTITY of them. We used to have a quota for them like Iowa’s 6,000. Ours was ~11,500, until a greased politician got rid of it ~20 years ago. The ILDNR was over ruled by special interest group coin and the floodgates burst to 20,000+.

01-Dec-22

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
BTW Highlife, I noticed you didn’t comment in the IL forum on my 195 2/8” P&Y buck last year. But thought you’d be interested I took him just 70 miles from where this record buck was taken. Only mine came off public. Both taken on the exact same date, one year apart 11/16/21. Certainly not bitching about him. Lol

01-Dec-22
And yet I still have no comment.

01-Dec-22
No comment is a comment in and of itself....and yes, I am a pot stirrer. :)

01-Dec-22
Magnificent deer. Spectacular

01-Dec-22
Fantastic deer, love seeing pictures of true monsters. I choose to believe that there’s another whole collection of spectacular deer killed each year that never make it onto the internet. I also think it’s quite possible that the cap/skull from what would be a world-record deer (B&C, P&Y, S&C, whatever) is nailed up on some guys barn.

01-Dec-22
I carry a big ladle myself Justin lol

01-Dec-22
Lol. I actually inspected the Vandalia post office a few days before this guy took his buck. Then drove down I-70 to inspect Highland before picking up my mount there at Larry Keilbach Taxidermy.

Highlife, I think you’d be a lot less grouchy if you joined the Illinois exodus and paid just $1,000/year in IN property tax like me. Heck we even got a $750 check in the mail prior to my elk hunt, for our state BUDGET SURPLUS. Can you imagine that?! Lol

01-Dec-22
Wow.

01-Dec-22
I pay 72.00 dollars a year in property taxes in Tennessee.

01-Dec-22
Missed Don K’s comment that this buck was processed at Korte meats. When I first viewed the photo’s I was going to say I thought I recognized the meat locker. But wasn’t positive. Well guess what? Yup that’s where I took my buck as well! In Highland, IL. Lots in common. Lol. I’ll have to call Larry and see if he’ll also be doing this mount. His shop is like five minutes from there.

02-Dec-22
02-Dec-22

sticksender's embedded Photo
Xen McCallister's Archery Buck
sticksender's embedded Photo
Xen McCallister's Archery Buck

02-Dec-22
Heckuva deer!

02-Dec-22
Great deer. Illinois always produces giants.

02-Dec-22
Thanks for the story link, Greg.

02-Dec-22
That’s quite a story. Congratulations to the hunter for keeping it together and making a great shot on that monster. Funny thing for me, I had never been to Highland before in my life, but I was there just a few days before this deer was killed. It’s a little over an hour drive from my house. Lots and lots of wide open farm ground.

02-Dec-22
Processor is in Highland, but deer was taken near Vandalia 40 miles East of there. Doesn’t look like there’s any processors closer. That Korte is definitely a top shelf processor. Expensive but very big and clean facility. Tons of specialty meats.

16-Dec-22
https://www.realtree.com/deer-hunting/rack-reports/2022/12/09/illinois-bowhunter-bags-giant-22-point-nontypical Thought I’d share this. Looks like he covered his bases.

16-Dec-22

ILbowhntr's Link

16-Dec-22
Great story and great to know it's all legit. Called him in and shot him with an actual bow. Excellent!

16-Dec-22
Zim have you ever tried grand fork meats it some of the best. now ran by a outstanding Archer. That committed his life to archery and hunting to the community.

16-Dec-22
Congrats again, to him on a beautiful buck! I wonder what the side to side score tallys on the typical aspects of the rack look like. I believe the article stated there was only about 7” of deductions. That’s amazing to me. Not doubting it, just that it’s got a lot of nontypical stuff going on, as well.

16-Dec-22
Big dog, Actually no because I rarely hunt in that part of the state. This was a special circumstance. Hunting Shawnee area this year but I’m always moving around based on barrier-to-entry and my job travels.

18-Dec-22
Surprised nobody mentioned the buck traveled 2 miles that morning... Have said it before, bucks travel further than most think, especially during the rut...

18-Dec-22
So basically the drop tine is most of the seven inches of deductions. That truly is a special buck.

18-Dec-22
Drop tine is not a deduction on a non-typical. Deductions are still side-to-side differences just like a typical. So this is a 230-something non-typical; a top-50 deer in IL. Awesome buck. I hate stopping deer and would have been soiling myself with a "meh". Love the photo with the kids.

I tried to take something to Grantfork a couple years ago to get some smoked summer sausage, etc. They were nothing but rude to me, so I didn't.

19-Dec-22
My buddy takes a couple deer every year to Grant Fork. He gets all hard salami. Its always done well.

19-Dec-22
I think many people don’t understand how typical scoring works- the non typical points never count towards the gross score, just a straight off deduction.

Say that buck scores 200” as a mainframe 6x6. Would probably be 195” ish after symmetry deductions, now you have to subtract all the non typical points- say 25”.

So you now have a 170” net B&C typical score!

19-Dec-22
Or, a 220” net Nontypical.

19-Dec-22
Hopefully we see it in Reno.

19-Dec-22
t-Roy has the correct score in wildwilderness’ example. For P&Y entry, 15” or more of abnormal points qualifies the deer as a non-typical so after side by side deducts you ADD the abnormal points.

19-Dec-22
Hopefully we see it in Reno.

19-Dec-22
Very cool, good for him

19-Dec-22
Wow great story and congrats to the hunter that’s one helluva buck Lewis

19-Dec-22
What’s amazing is even at 220” NT…..it wouldn’t be big enough to be invited to the upcoming Reno Panel! Some tremendous animals taken this recording period.

19-Dec-22
Dang BOHNTR, how big they gotta be to be invited?

19-Dec-22
The smallest invited was in the 230’s

19-Dec-22
The smallest invited was in the 230’s

19-Dec-22
Dang, hadn't realized there were that many 230" NET whitetails running around out there...

19-Dec-22
Last panel we had two over 300”!

19-Dec-22
So what 2 scored over 300"?

BTW, is Reno P&Y or B&C?

19-Dec-22
Last recording period Panel was in Reno 2021 (P&Y). That recording period had the Brewster Buck (NT world record) and the Butcher Buck (KS NT). Both netted well over 300”.

20-Dec-22
Thanks for the info BOHNTR... Guess I hadn't realized those 2 nontypical bucks panel scored higher than the Beatty Buck, so I assume Beatty's buck dropped to number 3 P&Y?... Hmmm, just something about scoring those two lopsided racks doesn't seem right, especially the one from Kansas doesn't really look that big in pix, and would have thought been considered "unscoreable" like cactus bucks... Heck, was looking at it's score sheet on the B&C website, and the clean right antler only scores 50-2/8"... Place that one, or all three for that matter next to each and tell me which one is the most impressive...

Same with the eye test of the B&C#1, Missouri Monarch and the #2 Hole in the Horn Buck... The Hole in the Horn Buck is more impressive...

20-Dec-22

BOHNTR's embedded Photo
BOHNTR's embedded Photo
I disagree. This is about as awesome of a true non-typical as you can get, IMO.

20-Dec-22
I agree with zbone on the Kansas buck. That thing is fuggly. Couldn’t disagree more with him on the Brewster buck, though. It was on display at the Deer Classic, along with a display of a bunch of some of the top scoring whitetails of all time. Brewster’s buck was at the top of the list, IMO.

20-Dec-22

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
There's nothing about the Butcher Buck that's terribly impressive to me. Just look at how small the main frame is. I wouldn't even put it in the same category as some of the other NT bucks mentioned here.

Matt

20-Dec-22
Yeah, that Kansas buck shouldn't be #2, as said should have been "unscorible" like cactus bucks...

Would like to see that Brewster Buck and Beatty Buck side by side...

20-Dec-22
It was NOT a cactus buck. (Not that it matters, as P&Y accepts cactus bucks anyway). It also had an eligible main frame with abnormal points making it 100% eligible for inclusion into BOTH records Clubs. I will concede that it is not my favorite buck to look at, though.

20-Dec-22
Yeah, but I sure as heck wouldn't be passing it up, either. lol

20-Dec-22
+1 Midwest!

20-Dec-22
Roy…….On the Butcher buck, what was the typical aspect of the left antler scored as?

Agree with midwest, that I’d probably not be passing on him (unless I had him on my property AND knew for sure he was a younger deer) Even at that, can’t say with 100% certainty that I wouldn’t be flinging one at him.

20-Dec-22
Main beam and a G1 if I remember correctly? Ask Shug, I assigned him to one of the panel teams.

20-Dec-22
Heck no I wouldn't either pass that Kansas buck, would have dropped it in a heartbeat, and congrats to the hunter... I was just saying, that's just a small framed rack to be considered #2 of all time, and with clean right side only scoring 50-2/8"... Heck, double it if the left side was typical and add 20" for spread and that score wouldn't even make P&Y minimum... Just saying...

20-Dec-22
I wouldn't pass the Kansas buck, either. But, when discussing the most impressive NTs of all time, he doesn't even land in my top 20. His rack looks like a 3.5 year old with a genetic problem to me. The buck in the OP is a true monster any way you slice in, typical or NT, IMO.

Matt

• Sitka Gear