Fields 18-Nov-22
Treeline 19-Nov-22
Jebediah 19-Nov-22
DanaC 19-Nov-22
BrentC 20-Nov-22
18-Nov-22

tobywon's embedded Photo
tobywon's embedded Photo
I just happened to run across this old setup today in the woods. Made me laugh. I know we had some sketchy stuff when I started hunting in the mid 1980s and am so lucky nothing bad ever happened. We used to make stands out of angle iron from bed frames and was in a few Baker stands as well during my early hunting days. I don’t ever recall using plastic chairs. Post Um up if you have one that could be patented by the Darwin Treestand Company…haha.

18-Nov-22

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
I found one in Oklahoma last spring while I was hog hunting

18-Nov-22
No pic, but my first one was in a forked tree, ten foot ladder made of 2x4s with a platform on top and a 2x8 horizontally between the forks to sit on about the height of a bar stool. Surprisingly comfortable ! Killed my first bow buck from that stand. I was a little over thirty at the time so ten feet tall and bulletproof !

18-Nov-22

Jebediah's embedded Photo
Jebediah's embedded Photo
This was a real head-scratcher. New Hampshire ingenuity.

18-Nov-22

EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
Found this one about 10 years ago on some property we were scouting. Wow!

18-Nov-22
Ugh tobywon, what are you doing on my property? Wife told me to put patio furniture out at road for garbage... duh nooo.... five other stands throughout property, I ain't no fool. ;0)

18-Nov-22
My first stand was a large branch with a fork in it. I climbed up into it with my Bear Blacktail hunter bow and a couple arrows and stood the whole time. I was young and climbers were still a thing of the future except for 2 by 4's and nails. Gotta say, that chair set up looks like it might be unsafe!??

18-Nov-22
The old Baker stands weren't much better

18-Nov-22
If I see an abandoned hang-on or ladder stand in the woods it upsets me, because it’s basically litter. But if I see an ancient wooden stand, I think it’s an interesting piece of history.

18-Nov-22
Some funny ones here. I agree Jebediah.

Well scentman, you’re in luck because I only found the one, so your five others are still a secret. I agree

18-Nov-22

Fields's embedded Photo
Fields's embedded Photo
Heres a cozy one....

19-Nov-22
Dang, some of those look like BB's old stands...

19-Nov-22
My first stands as a kid were built by neighbors, who let me use them. Just now, way too many years later, it occurs to me how kind that was.

19-Nov-22
Did that monkey-boy thing back in the 90's, could scrounge wood, my cost was nails and hammer time. When Loc-On stands came out, and better models later, I never looked back.

I'll still tote a cheap folding chair to a likely spot, but it stays on the ground!

20-Nov-22
I remember hunting with my dad and finding a half rotten piece of plywood 20 feet up over a couple 2x4s. Dad said “it won’t hold me but you’ll be alright.”

• Sitka Gear