Cheesehead Mike 22-Nov-22
bowhunter55 23-Nov-22
kota-man 23-Nov-22
Bou'bound 23-Nov-22
midwest 23-Nov-22
Anchor point 24-Nov-22
Cheesehead Mike 24-Nov-22
20-Nov-22
My matthews ultra rest makes a winding noise when put in up position. Sounds like winding and old watch.

There doesn’t seem to be any issue with my arrow flight

I’m worried this is a leading indicator of a future problem?

My bow is only 9 months old - v3X - but I shoot a lot

Anyone have any advice for me. Set up for a bison hunt in mid December.

20-Nov-22
I assume it's a QAD? My advice is to not take any chances and replace it. It should still be under warranty.

I had a QAD Ultra on my Halon and also shoot a lot. I had shot thousands of trouble free arrows through it. Late summer 2021 while practicing a couple weeks before I leave on an Arizona elk hunt all of a sudden my rest didn't drop on several shots which resulted in crazy arrow flight. I tinkered with it and thought I had it fixed. It didn't fail to drop on any more practice shots. I went on my elk hunt and killed a bull, the rest worked fine and continued to work fine while practicing.

Fast forward to November and I'm deer hunting in Iowa. I have a 12 yard broadside chip shot at a mid 150's 10 point. My rest fails to drop and my arrow flys crazy over his back. Again I tinker with it, shoot it some more and think I have it fixed. I even shoot a practice arrow every morning before I get down out of my tree. I also cycle the rest up and down several times before I nock an arrow every time I hunt. Seems to be working fine.

A couple weeks later I'm in Kansas and have a 10 yard slightly quartering away chip shot at an upper 140's 9 point. Deja Vu, my rest fails to drop and my arrow flys crazy over his back! Yes stupid me, I shouldn't have trusted it!

Last summer I switched to a Hamskea Trinity rest and I killed 2 bucks with it this fall.

I shot my QAD thousands of times and I really liked it. The problem is, there's some kind of mechanical magic going on inside a QAD rest that allows it to snap down from the locked up position. Apparently at some point it can wear out and/or become unreliable. Who's to know when it's no longer reliable and is going to fail? I'm not taking that chance anymore. The difference with a Hamskea is that because of it's design it has to drop and there's no mechanical magic necessary for it to drop.

I'm not trying to slam QAD rests, I'm just sharing my experience. I know there are many very happy QAD owners who love them and who have had years of trouble free use. I was one of them until I wasn't anymore. There are also other QAD owners out there who have horror stories similar to mine...

Good luck whatever you decide.

20-Nov-22
Quad fan here. Any questions call quad get a PO# send in the rest and it will come back fully checked out and working like new or a new one will come back. Great service.

20-Nov-22
Thanks guys. I’m taking it to the shop. Very helpful, my gut told me the same

It’s a matthews rest but I think it’s QAD

21-Nov-22
Take that qad and toss it in the garbage. Order a Hamskea and never have to worry again.

21-Nov-22
no it's not a matthews rest. it is QAD rest with a matthews sticker on it. other brands put their stickers on the same thing. mine has a hoyt sticker on it and it is the same thing you have but the sticker is different. you can get PSE, bowtech, whatever.

21-Nov-22
does the Hamskea rest have a warranty?

21-Nov-22
Hamskea has a lifetime warranty.

21-Nov-22
shouldn't need a warranty if you can just put on on and never worry again! Sounds like it would never break.

21-Nov-22
I guess it's easy to put a warranty on something that doesn't break and it gives buyers confidence. I honestly don't know if the Hamskea will last longer than the QAD but I do know that because of it's design, it will always drop. QAD has some kind of a warranty too, but that won't replace the bucks I missed because of it's failure or eliminate the gut wrenching frustration I felt. Even if QAD's warranty replaced my rest free of charge I really don't think I'd ever put one back on my bow not knowing if it's going to fail again. So why would I even bother with the warranty? A warranty doesn't mean crap when you're sitting in a tree in Iowa in November after waiting years to draw the tag and your rest fails. And then it fails again in Kansas. When you're in the middle of a hunt away from home and living out of a camper it's not that easy to just stop and replace your rest, warranty or no warranty.

Believe me, I really liked my QAD and I truly wish I had those two big bucks and the great memories of those hunts to talk about rather than reliving the heartbreak of a failed piece of equipment.

22-Nov-22
T-Roy has some QAD failure stories as well, Mike. I used them for years without issue but switched to Hamskea. Much prefer limb driven.

22-Nov-22
makes total sense mike. would jot disagree in the least with that experience.

i was making the comment for altitude who indicated just put in on and forget. nothing mechanical is failur- proof. some things just more resistant than others.

22-Nov-22
I have never had a whisker biscuit fail. Keeping it simple and killing.

22-Nov-22
I thought about a whisker biscuit but I like to practice at 100 yards and farther and my understanding is that the biscuit isn't the best for long range.

23-Nov-22
Always have put QAD rests on all our bows. Have switched to Hamskea Trinity and am wishing I had done so a long time ago. Love it.

23-Nov-22
I switched from QAD to Hamskea and never looked back . I had a QAD fail to drop on an animal. Also had a QAD fail while practicing. QAD warrantied it no problem. A buddy had a QAD fail to drop on a huge bull. I’ve seen enough QAD failures to have totally lost confidence in them. Hamskea for me. Built like a tank and really can’t fail.

23-Nov-22
Are they limb or cable driven

23-Nov-22
You can set them up either way, bou. Top limb, bottom limb, or cable.

24-Nov-22
Bottom limb. Half inch from limb tip. Iv had mine on 5 different bows and still going strong

24-Nov-22

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
If you have a Mathews they make a convenient bracket that attaches to the lower limb in place of one of backing plates that you attach the cord to.

• Sitka Gear