huntinelk 21-Mar-23
Charlie Rehor 21-Mar-23
dakotaduner 21-Mar-23
dakotaduner 21-Mar-23
scentman 21-Mar-23
njbuck 22-Mar-23
26-Nov-22

huntinelk's Link
In 2018 my son Cody and I had a great hunt with Doug McMann at Skinner Creek Hunts. This year due to a western tag that was filled way faster than I expected and a very understanding wife that offered us a pass for Thanksgiving week, we headed back to Doug's for a lynx hunt with his hounds. After doing the bear hunt with him and hearing all the lynx stories, seeing pictures and watching his dogs work, lynx was definitely on the someday list. Someday came with under 2 weeks to get ready.

26-Nov-22

huntinelk's embedded Photo
We were both hoping to shoot lynx with bows, but it can happen at times that a lynx will tree in spot that can't be penetrated with an arrow. We understood that going in and began preparing for steep angle shooting.

26-Nov-22

We shortened draw length on our bows a bit to help keep proper anchor in the awkward up hill shooting position.

26-Nov-22

With bows tuned and gear sorted and packed it was time to start our trip to Tatlayoko Lake BC. It would take the better part of 2 days from when we left home with an over night in Vancouver.

26-Nov-22

We were driving to Toronto and flying from there. Toronto is possibly the worst airport in North America for customer service, but most any flight from the US will connect through there, so figured it would only be half as bad if we started there and didn't have to connect through there.

From PA to Toronto the route goes through Buffalo at the same time they were getting 4 feet of snow. We left some extra travel time, but with just a little slow down for snowy roads it wasn't an issue. The border crossing went quickly and we were in Canada. A little farther north the roads cleared up and we made it to Toronto with plenty of time to spare.

26-Nov-22

We were flying on Lynx Air, has to be a good omen while going on a lynx hunt?

Nonstop Toronto to Vancouver. We arrive to find only one of our 3 bags made the trip. We are given the run around about filling out this paper and calling this number. This happens at 10pm, at noon the next day we are flying a different airline to Williams Lake BC then a 3 hour drive to Doug's place. The chance of seeing those bags in time for our hunt is slim.

26-Nov-22
The next morning I call and email repeatedly with no results and basically no one caring, as expected.

Taking inventory on what we have in the bag we do have, all of Cody's clothes , a few pieces of just in case hunting clothes that either of us could wear and our travel clothes. The most important pieces in the missing bags were both our bows and pieces for them and our boots.

I contacted Doug told him what we were dealing with and we on our way , but would need a stop to get some gear. Doing some googling it looked like Canadian Tire would have most of what we would need including a Diamond grow with me type bow in stock.

Doug was waiting when we arrived at Williams Lake. On the way to Canadian Tire, Doug mentioned that he had an older PSE that we were welcome to use. He didn't know much about it other than it was a compound around 55 pounds. We made our shopping stop getting boots for both of us that were basically heavy duty sled riding boots, a dozen full length Gold Tip 400 factory flecthed arrows, super glue for the inserts, field tips, 6 Muzzy Trocar broadheads, and a few pieces of clothing for me. We would take Doug up on his offer to use his bow, hoping we could make it work. Not a great situation, but knowing if necessary there would be a rifle available at the tree.

26-Nov-22

On the drive to Doug's we discussed all things hunting and our upcoming week. He has a helper, Alan that will be helping with guiding duties some too. We arrived at Tatlayoko Lake after almost 2 days from leaving home, with a third of our luggage. We head to our cabin with the PSE and start tuning it to kinda fit both of us. It looks to be roughly 1995 vintage.

26-Nov-22

After putting the arrows together we shot the bow indoors to get the top pin as close as possible while shooting angles. The next day we would get the pin set to 20 yards in the daylight outside.

26-Nov-22
Diggin it! Looks like you'll be able to make do with the cards you were dealt!

26-Nov-22
Get on with it man, we all waiting here!

—jim

26-Nov-22
Hopefully, all that carp shooting this summer, pays off for you! Good stuff so far!

26-Nov-22
A lynx hunt with Doug.....now this is gonna be good!!!

26-Nov-22
Before we headed out the first day we decided that if there was a chance that the first cat treed could be killed with a bow that I would try it. If it was a jumbo cat that wasn't in a spot for bow killing Cody would take him with the rifle.

The first day we went out with Alan for the day from an hour before daylight not returning until after dark. We covered alot of miles on logging roads and saw a bunch of tracks throughout the day, but none turned out to be fresh enough for the dogs to run. Just before dark we found a good track that had potential, but there wasn't enough daylight left and we had to pass on the track. That ended day 1.

26-Nov-22
Day 2 we started out the day before daylight, I was riding with Doug, Cody riding with Alan. Throughout the day we covered alot of miles again in 2 trucks. Similar to day 1 we saw several tracks but again we always seemed to be a few hours too far behind them for the dogs to get enough scent to follow. The day ended again after dark.

26-Nov-22
Day 3 was pretty much a copy of day 2 with the results being the same.

26-Nov-22
Day 4 started the same as the previous 2 days. There had been a hard rain and warm winds overnight with the snow melting fast. Early in the day we cut fresh tracks only to determine that is was a family group of female and 2 kittens. After a short distance we found more fresh tracks, again it was a family group. We are finding fresh tracks but not the right kind. We continued throughout the morning with no more fresh tracks found. Doug was scheduled to leave early that day. Around noon we were headed to meet Alan and Cody so I could get in with them. On the way we spot a smoking fresh track the truck skids to a stop, we jump out only to find a fresh lion track. After a let down we continued to Alan and Cody, I get in with them to finish out the afternoon looking for tracks.

26-Nov-22
After a few minutes heading away from Doug we get a message that he has found a track that is very fresh and as soon as we get there we are going to turn out on it. Alan put the Dakota through its paces covering the ground back to Doug. The tracks obviously fresh and looks pretty big to me.

26-Nov-22
As soon as the dogs hit the ground they are instantly barking and on the run on the down hill side of the road. After about 350 yards the dogs stall out on the track. We grab our gear and head in. On the way in the dogs are barking and running back up the hill. The lynx had doubled back and ended up crossing the road a 100 yards behind the truck. After 600 yards up the hill the dogs are showing treed and chop barking sounding treed. When we get to the dogs it is a stand of very small spruce trees that it appeared that the lynx had went up, jumped a couple trees then come down a leaning tree and continued on his way, leaving the dogs thinking it was still in the tree. After a little time the dogs sort it out and are on the chase again.

26-Nov-22
After about another 600 yards the dogs are showing treed again. This time as we get there the lynx stayed put. As we approached the tree the lynx looks much bigger than I expected he would in the tree. The lynx is a thumper with no question he is getting shot. He is in the open for a bow shot, but very steep. The range finder shows 3 yards, but he is atleast 25 feet up. As our prehunt discussion I was going to try him with the bow. I have never shot an animal before Cody on a trip before and was a little apprehensive about doing it now. Knowing Doug's reputation I felt confident that Cody would get an opportunity at a lynx in the remaining 2 days.

26-Nov-22

26-Nov-22
The dogs are getting tied back, Cody is filming and taking pictures. I break a few branches to open up I little better shooting a spot. The shot is going to be almost straight up, between the front legs as pictured. I get a full length arrow nocked up and a back up arrow leaning against the tree next to me. As I'm waiting for the dogs to be safely tied out of the way, I talk myself through what I need to do and how foreign the loaner bow is most like going to feel.

26-Nov-22

Doug and Alan give the all clear for the shot. I draw the old PSE back and force myself to anchor hard against the wall as I raise it up to the bottom of the lynx chest. As I get the large old school green pin on the spot, I do my best hold solid and pull through the shot. The release trigger breaks and I don't see any of the arrow flight. The lynx jumps straight up as he comes back the the limb, his back feet slip off, he hangs on with his front feet for about 3 seconds and topples out of the tree backwards. He hits the ground with a solid thud, flops a couple times and is dead. The arrow had centered him and went straight through bottom to top.

26-Nov-22

Light is fading in the thick pines, the dogs are unhooked and all allowed a sniff of the lynx they worked so hard for. We headed back out to the road for better lighting for the pictures.

26-Nov-22

26-Nov-22

26-Nov-22

26-Nov-22

The old bow came through in a bind.

We now have 2 days to find a good lynx for Cody, hoping to beat the odds and have his tree in a good spot for a bow shot too.

26-Nov-22
Awesome congrats!

27-Nov-22
Day 5 starts the same, I'm riding with Doug and Cody is with Alan. As we head to the hunting area for the day there is very little snow left in lower elevations, even as we turn into the hunting area there is very little snow. It's looking like it is going to very tough finding tracks in these conditions. After a few miles of gaining elevation there is starting to be more and more fresh snow from overnight. After a few more miles the snow conditions are perfect for seeing tracks and any that are found are going to be very fresh.

We are covering ground more slowly today to give time for a lynx to put a track in the very fresh snow. Late morning we get a call on the radio that Alan and Cody have found a fresh track and are getting ready to turn the dogs out. The call comes back that it was an immediate strike and the dogs are in pursuit. Doug and I head that way as quickly as possible. When we arrive the rest of the dogs that are with us join the chase. After about a mile chase it shows that several of the dogs are treed 660 yards from our location.

While waiting for us to arrive Cody has the PSE out getting one last practice session in at the block target that we have been hauling around all week.

When it is confirmed that the dogs are treed the weapons and gear are gathered and we head towards the tree.

27-Nov-22

When we get to the tree we find another thumper lynx in a better bow shot location than mine was. Again a no doubt shooter. While the dogs are being tied safely out of the way of a falling lynx, Cody and I take some video and pictures and go over shot placement and pin placement on the lynx. The range finder shows 6.9 yards this time, but the shot is a bit less steep than mine was.

27-Nov-22

When the dogs were all tied, the all clear for the shot was given. The first draw Cody kept his finger behind the trigger just to get the feel of the angle and pin placement. The next draw was ready to fire. On the shot the arrow made a solid thud sound hitting the lynx. Alan yelled perfect shot. The lynx jumped from the limb he was on and crashed through the limbs below hitting the ground absolutely dead, not even a wiggle after he hit. After the dogs were all given their sniff of the prize it was moved out to the sunlight for examination and pictures. The lynx was old and had very worn down and broken teeth, one of them was loose enough to pull out.

27-Nov-22

27-Nov-22

27-Nov-22

Notching another tag.

27-Nov-22
After 5 days we had managed to take two super lynx with 2 good shots using borrowed and pieced together equipment on a short notice hunt. Great experience in amazing country.

27-Nov-22
Congratulations that’s making something. I’d be very difficult situation and when everyone works together and is flexible that type of outcome is well learned.

27-Nov-22
Sweet hunt.....great job to you both on gettin 'er done with the "classic" gear!

27-Nov-22
Thats way cool! - I killed a few elk with a PSE like that one lol

Did you ever get the rest of your gear?

27-Nov-22
Congrats Guys! Glad to see that you are now shooting a good bow!

27-Nov-22
How cool is that! Fantastic trophies thanks for sharing

27-Nov-22
Awesome hunt, pics and recap!

Congrats to you and your son on some great cats!

27-Nov-22
Congratulations great hunt

27-Nov-22
Awesome trip! Congrats on some super good looking cats.

27-Nov-22
Great trip! Thanks for sharing.

27-Nov-22
Very nice! Congrats to you both on a couple of beautiful cats

27-Nov-22
Awesome. Cody sure got grown up !!!

Nice cats

27-Nov-22
One of the coolest critters around, absolutely beautiful animals. Congrats.

27-Nov-22
Great writeup Gene! Glad you and Cody got it done! Beautiful lynx! And that old gear worked…well excellent too. Congratulations to both of you and Doug.

On a lynx note, mine from a January 2020 hunt a couple hours from home just got back from the taxidermist. They sure are a beautiful beautiful animal! We even ended up eating it…very good mild white meat.

27-Nov-22
What a great hunting adventure for both of you. Nicely done. Story and pic were perfect. my best, Paul

27-Nov-22
Those cats are awesome! Thanks for sharing the story and congrats to you guys for getting it done with archery tackle.

27-Nov-22
Congrats to the hunters and thanks for letting us tag along Good luck Lewis

27-Nov-22
Thanks for sharing.

Those are some great animals.

27-Nov-22
Congratulations great hunt

27-Nov-22
Congrats on making lemonade from lemons. Just shows how adversity makes some weak and some stronger ! Great animals and we would all love to see the mounts once they’re finished. Good job !

27-Nov-22
Congrats to both of you.

27-Nov-22
Hunting with your son at Doug’s place is a dream hunt for sure. Congrats.

27-Nov-22
That's freakn neat, thanks for sharing, CONGRATS!!!

28-Nov-22
Perfect hunt for you and your son...congrats to you both!

28-Nov-22
This was perfect! Congrats to you both!! Excellent recap

28-Nov-22
What a cool hunt! Couple of great Lynx, congrats!

28-Nov-22
That's AWESOME!!! What do Lynx like that weigh? Here is WI we have bobcat but nothing that big. Congrats on your hunt.

28-Nov-22
It was once again a pleasure to hunt with you and Cody both. You have raised a great young man and both Julie and I enjoyed hosting you once again. Two great cats and two great shots, you both put your homework in, and it shows.

29-Nov-22
Congratulations that’s making something. I’d be very difficult situation and when everyone works together and is flexible that type of outcome is well learned.

29-Nov-22
That's awesome! Congrats!

29-Nov-22
Did your lost luggage ever show up?

29-Nov-22
So awesome! Anyone who hasn't hunted with Doug and his hounds at Skinner Creek need to do so. It's one of my favorites and beautiful country to boot!

29-Nov-22
What an Adventure!!

29-Nov-22
Congrats again Gene, another great adventure and you getting to spend the time with your son is icing on the cake!

29-Nov-22
I was also wondering about your luggage and gear, and the weight of the cats??

What a way to make the best of the situation! Those are some beautiful cats, congratulations!

29-Nov-22
Lynx are deceiving on how much they weigh, mine was 27 pounds, Cody's 25, his was definitely older than mine. They look like they should weigh 50 pounds, but are mostly "fluff".

On our way back we were booked on a different airline and during our long layover at Vancouver. We waited for the Lynx Air counter to open and luckily found the one person in the whole operation that isn't worthless, he actually took time to do some looking. Turns out our luggage had been in the lost luggage storage closet since Tues, but no one could bother to contact us. If I hadn't found that guy it's hard to say if the luggage would have ever been returned. Lynx Air customer service was absolutely horrible all the way around. In their lost luggage portal it still shows they are searching for our luggage.

Tom aka Mad Trapper...the bow is there waiting for you when you do your hunt...

Thanks for all the comments.

29-Nov-22
Congrats on a successful hunt. I shot a lynx in 2013 in the same area (with the late Paul Lowrie). I'm not surprised about the luggage issues. I've always had similar problems going through toronto/air canada from NY. On a wolf hunt in Ontario our guns never arrived and same thing for an alberta one too. I've also dealt with strikes and having to switch airlines completely. It's always a mess.

29-Nov-22
If it still shows lost I guess you could file a claim. Not that that would be ethical. Unless maybe it was for the extra cost you incurred.

29-Nov-22
That was a great story and one heck of an adventure.

Just curious with all the luggage issues. How did you get the pelt home? Carry on? or are you having it shipped back?

With the issues you had not sure I would trust the airlines if you checked it.

29-Nov-22
Canada has a pretty serious passenger bill of rights, of course collecting on it will be a different story I'm sure. They are supposed to refund the baggage fees paid and reimburse expenses for necessary items that were in the baggage until the baggage has been relocated up to $2400 CAD. I've submitted receipts for, boots, very basic clothing for myself and the arrows and broadheads. Will see how that all turns out.

Lynx are a cites animal, so everything involved with that has to be done, then they will be shipped.

29-Nov-22
2 beautiful lynx well done congrats

30-Nov-22
Really neat story and pics thanks! I love the snarling lynx in the tree!

01-Dec-22
Good for y'all Gene

Congrats,

Robb

04-Dec-22
Excellent. Congrats. to the both of you. Some really nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.

21-Mar-23

huntinelk's Link
Here is a video that Cody put together from the trip.

21-Mar-23
Looks like a great experience. The dogs are amazing. Well done.

21-Mar-23
That’s was great. Thanks for sharing

21-Mar-23
That’s was great. Thanks for sharing

21-Mar-23
Good stuff!

22-Mar-23
Congrats again Gene!

• Sitka Gear