wyobullshooter 02-Dec-22
midwest 02-Dec-22
Ogoki 02-Dec-22
JTreeman 02-Dec-22
midwest 03-Dec-22
Dino 03-Dec-22
nchunter 03-Dec-22
29-Nov-22
Just curious if there is anyone who hunts with the Scott Longhorn Hunter Release on here and what your results have been. I have struggled with TP for years but this year pushed me down bad and I had a terrible results because of TP. It is so bad it has carried over to shooting my Muzzeloader now even. So I am looking to start shooting a hinge release to perhaps help with some of the TP. Any first-hand experience? Does anyone have TP that has had an impact on shooting a firearm also? It is absolutely crazy and to be honest so disappointing to shoot currently with this. I would like to get this under control and bring back the happiness shooting/hunting brings. Thanks!

29-Nov-22
Sorry but could you explain what T P is that affects you?

29-Nov-22
I have used a Longhorn Hunter without the wrist strap for the past 4 seasons. I really like it, seems to slow my shot down and help me relax.

29-Nov-22
Target Panic

29-Nov-22
HBOM, I feel your pain, as many others do, with TP, it’s an awful affliction! In my journey fighting it, I used the Longhorn, shot game with it and it’s a fine release. Knowing what I know now, I’d recommend you start your shot process all over by using a tension release, and follow John Dudley’s School of Nock. His teaching is invaluable!!!

30-Nov-22
Thanks all, I am committed to starting over and re-learning to hopefully unlearn this or at least get a grip on it. I will watch Dudley's videos! My target panic has varied from holding low at times, to mostly just punching the trigger as soon as I get close to where I want the arrow to go. That's the big one and when the moment we hunters wait for comes, I literally panic and feel like I have to shoot right now. In the past, I had some lucky shots hunting that were able to result in recovery but this year that was not the case and it has just made me sick and honestly taken away some of the enjoyment of hunting/shooting. So I am committed to taking the rest of the season off to try to correct the problem to get back to the joys and excitement of hunting. I have ordered the longhorn hunter and it will be here this week and plan to start the practicing/training asap. I have watched loads of videos but will continue to watch more. I am also ordering a trainer to help me before I start with the actual bow. I am not too prideful to start all the way at the beginning and pretend I know nothing, to be honest, I believe that is what I need to do now anyway as this is pretty bad. Thanks again everyone.

30-Nov-22
TP really is an awful affliction, and the things you describe are the things I’ve been through, there definitely is a way out, and help out there. Put in the work, retrain yourself, commit to the process, and you will begin shooting like you never dreamed possible! Good luck to you!

30-Nov-22
HBOM, I have a great article written by Forrest Carter, that has some excellent tips and techniques to help reset your shooting and get you started on beating TP. If you would like it, pls PM your email addy. Regards, Dean

02-Dec-22
Thanks, Dean message sent!

02-Dec-22
TP absolutely sucks, so I’m always sorry to hear stories like this. Simply switching to a different release won’t bring an end to TP, but as long as you learn to fire it correctly, it’s certainly one step in the process. Fortunately, there are now several great resources out there that can guide you through the process of learning how to shoot under control. For me, it began with the book “Idiot Proof Archery” by Bernie Pellerite. After going through the program outlined in his book, I also watched lots of John Dudley videos. Shooting once again became fun and much less stressful, but I still felt that uncomfortable feeling creeping in every so often. It wasn’t until I signed up for Joel Turner’s on-line course that it all finally came together the way I had hoped. And yes, although I haven’t rifle hunted since the early ’80’s, my son wanted me to help him sight in his rifle back when I was still fighting TP. I was shocked beyond belief that my TP had destroyed my ability to shoot a rifle as well! Best of luck! Just keep in mind…you didn’t develop TP overnight, and you most certainly won’t learn to control it overnight. Just stay positive and as long as you’re dedicated to putting in the necessary work, shooting will become fun and stress-free once again.

02-Dec-22
I shoot a hinge for hunting. It slows me down and forces me to remain conscious in the shot process. Get the pin on the animal, line up the peep and housing, level, pull, pull, pull until it fires. Got rid of the anxiety of wanting to dump the string as fast as possible and made me realize we have much more time to make a controlled shot than we think.

That said, a different release isn't what beats TP. It's learning to shoot a controlled shot regardless of the release. I shot a resistance release a lot before I went to a hinge. I think it teaches you a surprise release much better than a hinge and will also improve your form. Especially, how to keep from collapsing your front shoulder which I continually struggle with.

+1 on Joel Turners course. I also went to see him at one of his 'in-person' clinics but that was pretty much worthless when there are several other guys there. Plus, I was with JTreeman which was a bummer ;-). One on one with Joel for a few hours would be awesome, tho. There's a reason some of the greatest archers in the world lean on Joel. Levi Morgan, Page Pearce, and of course his son, Bodie. Everyone but JTreeman. :-)

02-Dec-22
I fought target panic for years . Saw a YouTube video on this release . So I bought one . Once you start pull thru ,you will hear a very faint click. You know at that point ,it is ready to fire . That little click made me concentrate harder and stay on target . Worked for me but everyone is different . My buddy who fought it also ,borrowed mine in off season ,but didn't work for him . I occasionally try one of my old releases and I am right back to jerking the trigger. Just a thought , everyone is different.

02-Dec-22
It’s kinda hard to learn too much when Joel is constantly yelling at you and physically beating you with your own bow. Needless to say Joel was not impressed with my shooting abilities…

—jim

03-Dec-22
Jim, all I remember is you shooting your usual command style and Joel telling you how you're punching it before going down to pull your sub 1.5" group with half the fletchings shot off. lol!

03-Dec-22
That’s funny stuff Fellas…there r guys that certainly can punch it and have great results, I certainly am not one of them.

03-Dec-22
I had a friend that was eat up with target panic. I had him shut his eyes and shoot from 5 feet into a 6 foot tall hay bale. He got more and more relaxed as he did this. It helped to the point where he could start having fun again shooting.

• Sitka Gear