70lbDraw 30-Nov-22
Will tell 30-Nov-22
D31 30-Nov-22
Big Fin 30-Nov-22
midwest 30-Nov-22
Lawdog 30-Nov-22
Woods Walker 30-Nov-22
29-Nov-22
Anyone else suffering from tinnitus and/or hearing loss? I've got an appointment to see an audiologist next week. I've had tinnitus in my right ear that was sort of off and on but has been constant now for the last 2 years. Like listening to summertime cicadas 24/7. Also, hearing loss, mostly in the same ear.

When setting up the appointment, the lady mentioned some of the devices used to treat tinnitus. Emitting some kind of white noise or something or other that trains your brain to deal with it differently or whatever.

My main concern is my hearing loss. Conversations can be difficult, TV, etc. but mostly I want to be able to hear distant bugles, a far off turkey gobble, a deer walking in behind me, the birds singing, all the stuff we live for in the outdoors.

I'm wondering if anyone else has gotten the hearing aids that includes the tinnitus treatment and if it actually worked for you? I can deal with the tinnitus, if it doesn't get any worse, although it is super annoying and I can understand why some people literally lose their mind over it. I just don't want to spend whatever the price difference is for the treatment if it's a low success rate for dealing with it.

29-Nov-22
Been suffer from it for over 25 years. Wish I knew how to turn off the buzzing and recover some of my heating loss… Really sucks!

29-Nov-22
I'm 66 next month and have had tinnitus for 60 years. Smashed a full roll of caps with a rock, my ears ringing ever since. There isn't anything that can be done for it, I just deal with it.

Tinnitus is the nerve endings in your inner ear that are damaged. The endings vibrate, that's the constant buzz/ringing.

I also wear hearing aids. Those help a great deal, but even when those are maxed out, my sons still hear better than me. Again, I just deal with it. My head is on a swivel, I can't rely on my hearing.

29-Nov-22
After I had Covid, my tinnitus was much more profound. I bought a pair of otc BOSE hearing aids, I can hear much better.

Your audiologist will let you know what tone you are actually missing - then the hearing aids can be programmed to compensate for that

29-Nov-22
You mean my ears are NOT supposed to ring all the time? Who'da thunk it!

29-Nov-22

Cazador's embedded Photo
Cazador's embedded Photo
Count me in. Funny (not really) all season long in WY my partner is running us in circles chasing bugles he can hear and I couldn’t. Every AM he’d ask “you hear those elk last night”…. nope! “You hear those elk fighting down in the crick” …….nope

The funny? I told him I only chase the elk I can hear, which means they’re close, real close.

I heard this on once and then I shot him. He said he heard it the whole way in.

Lastly I sleep good at night, no bumps.

But I sympathize with you, gobbles, long range bugles, certain pitches, sucks!

29-Nov-22
I have it too. The only time I have peace and quiet is riding in the car with the windows down. Funny thing is that it was completely gone for a couple days the first time I had covid. It does impact your sleep too, your brain never really shuts off. I'm only 43 and have contemplated going to a Dr to get some aids too, I don't sleep worth a crap.

29-Nov-22
I'm right there with all of you. I hunt a lot with my teenage sons. Really shows me what I can't hear, but I've killed several turkeys and elk by moving towards sounds I never heard!!

29-Nov-22
Yes, both. I hear a flock of 100 starlings all the time and have profound hearing loss in the top half of the spectrum. I also wear hearing aids. I tried the ones that supposedly neutralize tinnitus but my audiologist was honest and told me all they do is mask it with white noise. I've learned to listen through it and ignore it after so many years.

The other thing I did was have my audiologist set up one of my programs in "elk mode". I now have six different volume settings with the volume and high frequency range maxed out. This was my first season with that, and I could hear bugles, crunches, etc.. that would have been previously unheard. When not hunting I click them back to normal range for everyday use.

29-Nov-22
Mine started around age 40 when I started getting migraines daily. Gets progressively louder the worse my migraines are.

29-Nov-22
Yup....constant high-pitched ringing that I don't pay attention to anymore. Luckily it doesn't seem to affect my ability to hear faint sounds, like when I'm hunting. It's just there all the time.

29-Nov-22
Yup, Lou nailed it. There is nothing that can cure tinnitus. I've had the buzzing, static, ringing since the mid 80's.

I've been to 4 different audiologists - they all had a little bit different things to say, except THERE IS NOTHING THAT CAN BE DONE FOR TINNITUS.

The most thorough exam I've had was at Costco. I did like Lou, had the audiologist give me a setting for the bugle. I can "kind of" hear the chuckle but almost never (unless VERY close) hear the bugle or a cow call.

I have to be very careful with that setting. I had it set to full on "treble" to help me hear the distant bugle or a cow chirp. A blue jay landed in the tree just above me and let loose. Holy cow - that startled the heck out of me.

Nothing can replace what I used to have - I used to be able to hear a mouse on the ground while setting in my tree stand. Without my hearing aids in - I can't hear a deer walking just below me in the dry oak leaves. :(

29-Nov-22
Those loud bows will make your ears riiiiinnnnnggg !

I’ve dealt with it since I was 14 years old, don’t even hear it anymore, unless someone reminds me of it. :-(

29-Nov-22
"I've been to 4 different audiologists - they all had a little bit different things to say, except THERE IS NOTHING THAT CAN BE DONE FOR TINNITUS. "

That may be the medical establishment's stance right now, but it's not true. I've had it off and on, it comes and goes, sometimes disappears for long lengths of time. I can't prove it, but I'm convinced there is a difference between actual ear damage from excessive decibel loads , and " ear ringing ". Blood sugar levels, EMF exposure , some food triggers, all seem to make a difference for me.

29-Nov-22
How did you get a setting for a bugle? I'm sure my audiologist will look at me like I'm nuts if I ask for that.

29-Nov-22
Nick, my aids have two different settings I control with a little button on one aid. I told her to maximize the upper half of the frequencies where my hearing loss is most profound, on one of the settings. Its like dialing up a line on a graph. Then I have six different volume settings on that frequency range. But like Inshart said, loud noises can be REALLY LOUD when they are cranked up to max. I told her about the bugle thing and she thought it was cool.

The other setting is a range considered "normal", whatever that is. But my multi-tone loud tinnitus makes my "normal" less than normal, so when I need it louder to listen to something important, like my wife, I click it up a couple notches. Mine don't do Bluetooth but my next pair will, for TV watching and phone calls.

This is my third pair. I can attest that you get what you pay for. In the grand scheme, a few thousand extra bucks to get top of the line is well worth it for someone like me with severe hearing loss. For someone with minor hearing loss, all the features are not as important.

Give me a call if you want to chat about it.

29-Nov-22
I am 67 and still have good hearing,,, but hunting in Virginia last week on an absolute windless day I noticed for the first time what I thought was constant crickets chirping. It was 20 degrees so I ruled that out. It wasn't terrible but kind of annoying since I was not used to hearing it.

29-Nov-22
I’d call you, Lou but two old deaf dudes on the phone with no ability to talk with our hands and read lips would be tough!

29-Nov-22
I'm with Cazdor I only hear real close or see them. I don't have tinnitus . I was born death and had a bird bone installed in one of my ear when i was 5 years old and can hear if i have my earing aid on but without it I'm totally death. 70 years

29-Nov-22
Welcome to my world. My alarm clock id the same frequency as a bugle and I can’t hear either one. My alarm is 20 inches away and if my right ear is in the pillow it might as well be a mile.

29-Nov-22
MP, you should look into hearing aids like I have. Cranking up the high frequencies changed my elk hunting world this season. I now hear all sorts of stuff I didn't hear before, even with my aids cranked up. Wish I'd thought of asking my audiologist for this setting years ago.

29-Nov-22
How does wind affect your hearing, Lou, especially when you have the volume turned up? Is there any type of filter for that?

29-Nov-22
No filter that I know of, and what happens is the volume fluctuates with outside noise, so they'll actually almost turn off with loud sounds, then dial back up as it quiets. Plus, they fit behind my ear, and I mostly keep my nose pointed into the wind.. (-:

29-Nov-22
I'm 68, have about a 90% loss in my left ear from a childhood accident as well as age related loss in the right ear from a life of gun shooting before hearing aids were thought to be a good idea... I also have tinnitis.

I'm on my 3rd set of hearing aids. My advice to folks getting them is: Expect NOTHING, that way, any help they provide will be appreciated! I approached it each time with high expectations and have been disappointed. Not that they didn't or don't help, because they DO. But because I hoped for too much.

The tinnitis is there with the HA's too, but mostly if I think about it. When I take them out at night, its much worse. But, I don't think about it and sleep fine. Mind over matter....

My hearing aid advice (more!): 1) rechargeable units are more water proof (don't cook batteries when running like the old replaceable battery ones. 2) having bluetooth is a great feature. I listen to podcasts while in my stand or even when walking around sometimes. 3) my left ear is beyond HA help I've discovered; so the left unit only bluetooths the sounds to the right HA. Saves $1,000 on the unit. Only $1,5500 instead of $2,500 for the left one. 4) My insurance & medicare don't pay anything for them. I get 0% for a year and pay them off in the year. 5) Back to rechargeable - mine only last 15 hours. This sucks.... A guy I shoot with has ones that last up to 2 days. I have an apt in January and they're getting an ear full of comments. 6) I have had severe loss for about 61 years. My wife cannot understand that I can hear TV, or focus on a book / magazine & zone out. She has to get my attention first, otherwise I miss the first half of the sentence, so repeat. Shes a slow learner; or as she says, I have selective deafness. You pick... :-) 7) learn how to adjust the hearing tones. Devices connect with your smartphone (I use an iPhone) with an app so you can choose different hearing profiles, make adjustments, shut off the microphones when riding a bicycle -so I can hear my podcast better!

Good luck....

29-Nov-22
I've had bad hearing for over 50 years basically from my days in Armor and firing the main gun and 50 cal machine gun with my head out of the cupola. Those days hearing protection was getting cigarette filters from a buddy that smoked and putting those in your ears. Anyway, 6 or 7 years ago I realized I wasn't hearing cow calls and some bugles so I went to an audiologist and ended up with some good hearing aids. Yup, like some of you others, not hearing elk shows where or values are!! I crank them up and they really help. On windy days it can work against you. Gotta admit I don't wear them most of the year, just during Fall hunting!

29-Nov-22
Exposed to unprotected gun fire & high explosives in the U.S. Army years ago. I asked for hearing protection but was denied...(old school Army) Now have tinnitus & hearing loss.. The VA awarded me 10% disability... Would gladly give the 10% back for good hearing & no tinnitus...

29-Nov-22
What! When the country went to masking messed me all up. I still hunt ok. Just don't move as much. It's worse on the wife, putting up with me. Friends get tired of repeating themselves. Always told the boss sorry didn't hear ya. When I go fishing it seems more natural to me. I just Wave and smile to everyone.

29-Nov-22
I’m 71 and have major hearing loss and tinnitus. Mine is likely from lots of unprotected gunfire when I was younger. Actually the tinnitus does not bother me. Guess I’m just used to it. I’m testing a new set of hearing aids. I’ve had two different sets of aids over the past 11 years. They help but they sure do have limitations and drawbacks. I’ve been to several audiologists and they say, tinnitus, live with it.

29-Nov-22
I had it for a number of years but not bothered by it since I got hearing aids. Should have done it a long time ago. My good wife tried telling me this but I told her I hear just what I want to hear, haha...should've listened.

29-Nov-22
I wouldn’t say I have hearing loss yet per say, however it runs in my family. And sometimes it’s really hard to listen to someone or something with a lot of other commotion going on… yesterday sitting in my treestand tho, the wind was blowing 15-20 a good portion of the day and usually I can hear other stuff when the winds blowing but I couldn’t hear crap. I guess I can tell my wife it’s not selective hearing?

29-Nov-22
Hearing loss is insidious. I had no idea until I had a serious hearing test done.

29-Nov-22
Have it for some time and the ENT Dr told me just recently that is cause in the brain with hearing lost.

My hearing aids is set up with a white noise back ground to help reduce the problem, seems the evenings is the worst. I didn't help matters in my early years from R&R music, doing lot of trap shoots and the work noise that I was in.

There is a lot of scams out there for treatment buyer beware.

29-Nov-22
Shouldn’t have to worry about getting scammed by an actual Audiologist.

I’m overdue. When you realize that what you just heard can’t possibly be what was actually said….

I said something about that over Thanksgiving and my older son said “Yeah, well now you know how we’ve been operating our whole lives.”

I have 2 sons with one fully functional ear between them. Younger one can get 80% word recognition in a sound booth. Put them in a noisy room and it gets hard.

Take care of your hearing while you have it.

29-Nov-22
I purchased the best ones Costco sold in 2021. I can adjust them with my I-phone. I have hunting setting that is set up for high frequency (like Jaquomo) and also filters out much of the wind and rustling noise. Used them on my elk hunt in 2021 and they are a game changer. Turkey hunting was great hearing gobbles and clucking from long distance. Plus, I can hear so much better at work and in my daily life.

30-Nov-22
Informative thread. I did not realize so many had similar experiences as I do with their hearing when it comes to hunting. As with others, not hearing those high pitched bugles bugs me the most. I blame chainsaws for most of my long-term hearing problems.

30-Nov-22
I have it. I am used to it and it does not bother me. I do struggle to hear people. Hearing is getting worse with age, I am 51.

30-Nov-22
Started about 20 years ago. 80% midrange loss left ear, 60% right ear. I've got Phonak hearing aids they are expensive but help a lot

30-Nov-22
I got mine courtesy of the US Navy 30 years ago. The only cure is to learn to live with it. As I get older I’ve noticed that it affects my balance as I’m hiking a trail or crossing a stream. They say the hearing aids can help with balance as well, but I just haven’t brought myself to try them. I’m reluctant because they’re so damn expensive.

30-Nov-22
Mr 70lbDraw I got a set from the VA at no cost me other than serving for three years (I'd do it again) Check it out.

30-Nov-22
"What?" and "Come again?" are profound words in my vocabulary as well Nick! :)

30-Nov-22
Brotsky….my wife claims that I say “WHAT?!” even before she finishes whatever it is she’s saying. She listens to headbanger music in her truck all the time, with the volume turned up to “11”, but she can hear turkeys gobbling a mile away, along with the slightest noises in the woods.

Combination of multiple reasons for my hearing loss. Chainsaws, shooting guns, blowing down compressors in the oilfield, etc. Most of the time (early on) while not wearing hearing protection. For you young guys….ALWAYS wear it!

30-Nov-22
I’ve had it for years now,I learned a long time ago to deal with the ringing. My hearing loss only bothers me during elk season. I have to use my eyes only deer hunting.

30-Nov-22
“Mr 70lbDraw I got a set from the VA at no cost me other than serving for three years (I'd do it again) Check it out.”

I recently got my service connection and am eligible for new ones. Can you get the ones that go inside the ear, or do they only provide the behind the ear model?

30-Nov-22
I have complete hearing loss in my left ear and only 40% hearing in my right ear with a hearing aid. If I do hear something I have no idea what direction it’s coming from. Really sucks if your a Turkey hunter.

30-Nov-22
I have it from years of hunting and shooting without ear protection and Firing 81 mm mortars using cigarette butts stuffed in my ears for protection as ear plugs were never issued. Go to an actual ENT Dr. They are trained to check your ears and do hearing tests without trying to sell you something. I went to two, both said the same thing. There is no FIX for the constant ringing. I sleep with a CPAP, a Hepa Filter Air purifier, a fan and a radio playing. Not the safest setup as I will never hear an intruder or a smoke alarm but I am able to sleep. I hear it the most when I am in the quiet of the woods in the early morning. Learned to live with it.

30-Nov-22

Big Fin's Link
Suffering from the same, I did a podcast with Dr. Weston Adkins, a Doctor of Audiology from the Mayo Clinic. That podcast episode (#164) is at the link above, if you are interested in listening. He is a hunter, giving him a good context to understand our problems.

30-Nov-22
Thanks for the link Randy and thanks to everyone for your experiences and advice. I didn't realize so many suffered from tinnitus and hearing loss. No wonder most insurers won't cover it!

30-Nov-22
I've had it since I was 13 in the mid 60s. Well, one kid had a railway detonator, and I had the hammer. I hardly notice it unless my attention is drawn to it. I haven't been to audiologist any time in the recent past, but I was initially told there was nothing to do about it. But, I only seem to have noticeable hearing loss when I'm around my wife.

30-Nov-22
I've had it for so long I don't even notice it much anymore. You adapt. But....what I really DID notice was with the covid hysteria and everyone wearing masks, I came to realize over the past few years how much I read lips. Part of adapting I guess!

• Sitka Gear