WhattheFOC 30-Nov-22
spike78 30-Nov-22
drycreek 30-Nov-22
spike78 30-Nov-22
PECO2 30-Nov-22
29-Nov-22

adam_cav51's embedded Photo
My buddy Tyler made a big purchase today and bought a Mathew’s Phase 4. He dropped $2475.12 on his new set up including a new sight, rest, release, etc. He initially test shot the bow twice before he added his accessories to make sure he was sold on the product. After adding accessories, adjusting the peep sight to his eye, and putting the bow through the draw board twice; he went to take his first shot. At 3/4 draw the bottom cam bearing exploded derailing the bow completely. The release was still attached to the d-loop. The bow was not torqued, it simply blew up. I can’t believe this and we sincerely hope Mathew’s makes the situation right.

29-Nov-22

29-Nov-22

29-Nov-22
Return it to the bow shop where you purchased it.

29-Nov-22
Wow I figured it was gonna be limb failure with their new design

29-Nov-22
The bow was left at the shop where it was purchased. Everything happened at the location of purchase as well.

29-Nov-22
Dang, I was planning to pick up a phase 4 in the next few weeks. Stuff happens and this is just one incident.

29-Nov-22
I expect that Mathews will fix or replace it quickly.

29-Nov-22
That stinks but stuff breaks. Probably good it happened right off the bat.

29-Nov-22
Great thing about Mathews. Always stands behind their product.

29-Nov-22
Really sucks but Mathews will absolutely take care of it.

29-Nov-22
I had a Triax do a similar thing. It took off a part of my bottom lip. After being notified Matthew's did not stand behind it. Very disappointed.

30-Nov-22
This post doesn’t make sense. You say the bow blew up at the pro shop, correct? Why would there be any concern about Mathews making it right? Surely the dealer gave him a new bow on the spot ??

Unless the guy did something to cause the failure like getting something tangled in the cams, surely no dealer is going to let him walk out of the shop with that bow?? What am I missing?

What dealer was it?

30-Nov-22
^^ yup. Post makes no sense at all.

30-Nov-22
Agreed.....something sounds off.

30-Nov-22
What brand of bow do you use?? Maybe I’ll get one of those?

30-Nov-22

2Wild Bill's embedded Photo
2Wild Bill's embedded Photo
As a retired mechanic, I'm trying to understand the nature of the failure.

"bottom cam bearing exploded"

The center of the bearing is an axel and the outer race of the bearing is the cam. Was the failure along the axel or perpendicular to the axel? I don't see a visible failure in the photos.

30-Nov-22
He said it happened at the shop, and the bow was left there. I know shit happens, but I would have got a refund or a different bow.

30-Nov-22
Here’s the nature of the situation. When my buddy Tyler and I went in to buy his new Mathews Phase4 there were only two Phase4’s on the self. He was quite intent on buying the Phase4 33 as he is a taller dude and the longer riser would provide better stability. The other option was a Phase4 29 which he had no interest in purchasing. After running the bow through the twice draw board, he went to take his first shot. As he drew his bow back 3/4 of the way to full draw, there was a sudden pop originating from the bottom cam followed by the string derailing completely from the bow. Watching this, I knew there was no way he had torqued the bow to cause it to derail so I was quite puzzled. Seconds later we could smell the odor of burnt metal filling the immediate proximity of where the incident occurred. After watching this, the bow tech at the archery facility offered to loan my friend the Phase4 29 until his bow was repaired or replaced which he declined as he wanted a 33. Both Tyler and I felt it was best to replace the entire bow after such a incident. After a quick look over of the bow, we determined it was probably bearing failure. The archery tech also said that bearing failure was most likely the cause. This happened at 5:30 pm MST last night so I made the post mere minutes after this had occurred. I posted this on here for people to gain more information, see if others had similar experiences, and maybe even find a different diagnosis for went wrong with the bow. The concern about Mathews making it right arises from the fact we are college students and dropping the cash to buy one of these bows is not an easy decision. There is a natural fear that after spending all of this money, you may not get what you paid for. I feel like that is a reasonable thing to say.

30-Nov-22
Problem with stuff like this is you never know the entire backstory. I recently read another thread about a guy dry firing a new bow in a shop - the tech checked it over afterwards and it was ok. It went right back on the wall with the other new bows for sale. Really? How would you feel dropping 2k on THAT bow?

Even in this story, the shop offered the 29 on ‘loan’ until the 33 is fixed?? Who knows what abuse the 29 gets while it’s on loan - then sold as ‘new’ a few weeks later?

Adam - I hope it all works out for you. My experience with Mathews is that they stand behind their stuff.

30-Nov-22
Update on the situation: After talking with Mathews and the retailer, Tyler has elected to get a full refund on the bow. The other option was to replace the damaged parts. He will be in the market for another bow, possibly still a Phase4 33 in the near future.

30-Nov-22
"The other option was to replace the damaged parts........" that would be VERY disappointing from my POV. The bow never left the shop.....it suffered a catastrophic failure and neither the manufacturer nor the shop would replace it with a new unit???? Did the tech in the shop work on the bow prior to your friend having shot it? Personally, I would be more inclined to believe that there was a mistake made when the adjustments were made on the bow than there having been a bearing failure.

I guess it's possible.....but I'm skeptical.

30-Nov-22
I just read a post on Archery Talk where it was said that the bearings Mathews using are made in China. Don’t kill the messenger just telling you what I read.

30-Nov-22
Frank, I left out the fact he could have received a new unit. But the retailer was unsure of the next shipment’s arrival date (they said possibly 3-4 weeks). When you purchase a piece of equipment like that you would expect that you’d be able to walk out of the shop with it. It’s ultimately up to the reader on how they interpret that. My apologies again.

30-Nov-22
A new bow would be what I expect. Reacement parts not acceptable. Never would have happened at my dealer..... Things happen. Maybe wait for the new lines bugs get worked out. Seems like their vx3 at 33 seems to be a good bow. Good luck.

30-Nov-22
How many of you guys are walking out of the shop with your new bow the same day you go to buy it? I know of very few. Most are weeks out on order if not months, especially if you want the right DL/weight and color combo your heart desires.

30-Nov-22
I agree, I can’t remember the last bow I bought off the rack.

I also agree, I would not take that bow.

But it’s a Mathews kinda what I expect… just kidding, just wanted a fun jab ;)

—jim

30-Nov-22
Spike - yes, they come from Wuhan. We should quit importing from Wuhan.

The bearings say ‘made in China’ right on them. I have upgraded the ones in my VXR.

30-Nov-22
I am still trying to digest "He dropped $2475.12 on his new set up".

Is that what new bows cost?

Been a while since I bought one.

30-Nov-22
Sean, he bought the bow with all new accessories. The MSRP on the bow was $1350.

30-Nov-22
I called this mess well before the new bows started to be released. Due to Covid and manufacturers losing good employees to better paying jobs this is exactly what happens. You can thank Biden for this mess and the endless handouts so people can stay home and get high. No encouragement to work when it’s just handed to you. Now companies are left with no other option but to hire the guy whose resume says he’s been flipping burgers at McDonald’s for the last 6 months! Boom I’ll hire him for 12$ and hour! It’s all we can get. Now look what’s happening. I’d never buy a new 22’ bow. Any of them! This is a first of many more to come. You watch.

30-Nov-22
I just bought a Phase 4 33 at scheels an hour ago. They probably had 12 Phase 4s with different axle to axle and various colors/patterns. They had the one I wanted so there is no time like the present.

The bow is $1350. The integrated rest and stabilizers are $250 each. Then add a quiver. It’s $2400 not including sights.

30-Nov-22
Hahha they saw you coming. That Mathew’s is garbage! 8 limbs? Slower than the v3. This is the best the engineers could do after having all year to figure something out? Lol lol what a joke. And I’m a Mathew’s shooter.

30-Nov-22
Going to spend under 2k on the Elite Omnia. Better technology lower prices.

30-Nov-22
I've never owned a Mathews but they have the best CS in the business. There is never a concern as to whether they would make this right or not. You can't expect every dealer to have a replacement bow on hand. If this happens at a larger shop, they just give you another bow and Mathews covers the damaged one.

Also...I can't imagine being in college and spending $2,400 on a bow. I am 51 years old and have a pretty good income and I can't imagine spending $2,400 on a bow and I have owned Hoyt carbon bows since 2012.

30-Nov-22
1200$ for what exactly? 8 limbs? Which do absolutely zero. This bow is no quieter than my v3x29. Huge let down. Time to go back to elite.

30-Nov-22
There’s always got to be one…

30-Nov-22
“ catch us if you can” catch all the parts exploding if you can is more like it now! Lol lol

30-Nov-22
Trash talking bows instead of politics. Love it!

When I was in college, I bought my first truck. $2500

30-Nov-22
I agree with Bowfreak. My college all in was $2,500 a year and after that I couldn’t afford a pizza with two toppings. Buying a bow for the same cost while in college was a dream I never had. Expectations sure have changed for the youngins.

30-Nov-22
Sssssshhhhooooooottttttt. Somebody just have put a Hoyt sticker on the OP’s buddies bow. That’s the only way a Mathews blows up.

30-Nov-22
The only selling point I hear every year with Mathews is “Dead in hand”. Who here in all their bow hunting years ever cared about a bow being dead in hand? Hell until all the magazine writers mentioned it I never once thought about it in my 32 years of shooting bows.

30-Nov-22
Thought pse aka parts scattered everywhere was bad. Now Mathews! Wow. Catch parts if u can. It’s either dead in the hand or tactical. Hahahaha Whata joke in my opinion

30-Nov-22
I’d buy a darton before the paste 4 lol

30-Nov-22
Shot the phase 4 the other day. Really a great shooting bow. Is it a mind blowing massively new upgrade from last year? No. But none of them are. It’s amazing how it can spit out arrows with what seems like very little effort. Over $1000? Yep. They all are. Your truck costs more than a house did back in the day too.

Shop I go to was sent 60 at the release has sold 20 already. They sell 4 other major brands and when asked what they prefer they said the Mathews warranty makes them stand above all others. I’m sure they’ll stand behind whatever truly happened with the OP situation too.

Scott

30-Nov-22
The $2475 included the bow, black gold 3 pin slider sight, Hamskea Mathews specialized rest, Carter Wise Choice 3 finger release, Mathews integrated quiver, Hamskea raptor peep, and new arrows. He was upgrading everything from a much older set up. Why is the price even a point of discussion? He was upgrading from a far older set up and wanted something he could shoot for years upon years before buying another.

30-Nov-22
I think the truck from Mathews, headed to the Hoyt factory with all the blemished materials broke down again. So, it’ll likely be March before Hoyt will get their newest version out.

30-Nov-22
"Why is the price even a point of the discussion?"

I don't know, ask yourself. You are the one that brought it up.

"The concern about Mathews making it right arises from the fact we are college students and dropping the cash to buy one of these bows is not an easy decision. There is a natural fear that after spending all of this money, you may not get what you paid for. I feel like that is a reasonable thing to say. "

30-Nov-22
Hey Anchor Pointless, go squeeze some pimples in the mirror.

30-Nov-22
Ambush, don’t pay any attention to Anger Point - he’s just going thru a phase.

30-Nov-22
Idk I’m pretty sure most if not all bow companies have good warranties on their bows.

30-Nov-22
I had a Mathews Outback blow up once.

Getting my coat tail between the string and cam when I had to let down probably didn’t help……..

30-Nov-22
Going to spend under 2k on the Elite Omnia. Better technology lower prices.

30-Nov-22
Some of you make it happen. You guys that buy a new bow every year. The bow manufactures MUST come out with something new or you won't buy. Sometimes it's better, sometimes not. Why not run a good bow for a few years? If it is amazing this year, it will be amazing next year. I'm still shooting my amazing Diamond Black Ice. No desire to get a new compound. Diamond stood behind their product and sent new limbs for it 2 years ago. The bow was over 10 years old, got a crack in the limb and they sent new limbs. That is textbook CS. I've more than got my money out of it. You can bet when and if I get another compound, it won't be the latest flagship from one of the companies that spend more on marketing than product development and quality control.

• Sitka Gear