Inshart 22-Dec-22
tacklebox 22-Dec-22
SlipShot 11-Jan-23
19-Dec-22

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
One just has to love a crisp morning just as the sun is about to come up over the horizon. A new day, a clean slate, lots to look forward to. Life is great if you make it great. Our new Labrador pup Teal just adds to the greatness of life. Will be fun watching him mature.

When we left home this morning for the goose field it was 16 degrees but climbed to 40 degrees by 11 am. Calm winds from the NW, and I hear geese out on the lake across the highway. A good omen. I let Teal run around in the dark while I set up the decoys. There was no way I could have him in the blind as he will not/can not set still and really, he has no idea what is about to happen. Hey, Maybe a goose or two for him to retrieve.

19-Dec-22

Geese started to fly early, and as in the past many flew high over and south to greener pastures.. Looking for low fliers
Geese started to fly early, and as in the past many flew high over and south to greener pastures.. Looking for low fliers
Decoy out and ready. Come on geese. Bow range!! 8 Oclock comes and goes. 8:30, 8:45, 8:55. Not too many geese in the air.
Decoy out and ready. Come on geese. Bow range!! 8 Oclock comes and goes. 8:30, 8:45, 8:55. Not too many geese in the air.
9:aml Wait, I hear geese behind me and over the big lake. I send out a few goose cackles. A second later, wing beats over the blind and out front. On the ground, at 20 yards, take a picture and
9:aml Wait, I hear geese behind me and over the big lake. I send out a few goose cackles. A second later, wing beats over the blind and out front. On the ground, at 20 yards, take a picture and
and I send an arrow. Wack but both geese fly to the left. By the time I clear the blind, I see a goose out on the dried up pond. Time to get Teal.
and I send an arrow. Wack but both geese fly to the left. By the time I clear the blind, I see a goose out on the dried up pond. Time to get Teal.

19-Dec-22
Good luck Paul

19-Dec-22
Been waiting for this! Best thread of the year! Good luck Paul and Teal.

19-Dec-22

Teal and I head for the prize. Wait, it flies away. What! Ok, must be a dead goose some where. What is that,? Looks like a pile of dirt. No a goose!
Teal and I head for the prize. Wait, it flies away. What! Ok, must be a dead goose some where. What is that,? Looks like a pile of dirt. No a goose!
Teal has no idea and is not strong enough to pick it up, so maybe try to drag it. What blood? Teal like that.
Teal has no idea and is not strong enough to pick it up, so maybe try to drag it. What blood? Teal like that.
after a lot of encouragement and many tries, Teal gets the goose close enough. :) Hey, his first goose!
after a lot of encouragement and many tries, Teal gets the goose close enough. :) Hey, his first goose!

19-Dec-22

9:15, Not back in the blind for 10 minutes, Teal in the truck, and here they come.
9:15, Not back in the blind for 10 minutes, Teal in the truck, and here they come.
Wings locked, flaps down, wheels down, on approach! Cleared to land :) Roger!
Wings locked, flaps down, wheels down, on approach! Cleared to land :) Roger!
Tower, Tower, there has been an accident on runway 1.
Tower, Tower, there has been an accident on runway 1.
Sorry to say but it was fatal!
Sorry to say but it was fatal!

19-Dec-22

I pick one out at 21 yards, Wack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I pick one out at 21 yards, Wack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok, two geese in the pot. I was just about ready to exit the blind when I hear more geese close by. I look out the window and see...................

19-Dec-22

the other geese seeing their dead buddy, back off.
the other geese seeing their dead buddy, back off.
I leave the bind and scare the goose off for another day.
I leave the bind and scare the goose off for another day.
Teal tries his best but like the others, too heavy, so just drag a bit. A good start for the young pup.
Teal tries his best but like the others, too heavy, so just drag a bit. A good start for the young pup.
So there you go, another day in the field with man's best friend. Fun day, a new day, and I was able to write on the slate, a good story. See you the next time in the goose field. Paul and Teal
So there you go, another day in the field with man's best friend. Fun day, a new day, and I was able to write on the slate, a good story. See you the next time in the goose field. Paul and Teal

19-Dec-22
Great stuff Paul! Mine is 1 1/2 now and doing good on pheasants and really good on ducks, but almost forgot how much patience it takes with the pups and they’re movement waterfowl hunting! Hoping to see how he does soon with a goose. Keep the pics coming!

19-Dec-22
Awesome hunt, story and pics, thanks.

19-Dec-22
Great recap!! Makes me smile looking at those pictures.

19-Dec-22
Congrats and thx for sharing! Have you ever tried the Magnus Bullhead on geese? It would obviously work, just curious what BH you're using and why. Also, I assume you're only shooting geese on the ground to avoid stray arrows flying into the sky and potentially landing in someone else's yard?

19-Dec-22
My 5.5 month old drahthaar had his first hunt last week too, thank goodness the ducks here are dumb and didn’t mind a dog running around in circles :) will be fun to follow along on a pup of the same age through these threads!

19-Dec-22
Great start Paul. Looking forward to the the rest of the season.

—jim

19-Dec-22
Heck yeah ! It’s great to see you back at it Paul, and that pup is gonna be awesome next year !

19-Dec-22
Good start, Paul, and a great first goose outing for Teal!

19-Dec-22
Carl, yes only on the ground. It would be hard to shoot them flying out of the blind. Actually this is a warm up for turkey hunting. :) I use NAP 3 bld, Shock Force mechanicals for both geese and turkeys. Have killed 100 each with those BHs. Yep, always have been a body shooter.

Yea, Boggs, they grow up fast and one day, they say, " Hey I get it!" "sit means sit, stay means stay, and fetch and bird, means, time to go to work but loving it.".

19-Dec-22
Awesome Paul, picked up where you left off it seems, even with a new partner!!

19-Dec-22
Thanks all, yea, but I was gratified that the current owned is still allowing me to hunt the property even though it is for sale. He said, "as long as I own it, you can hunt it. " and the realtor stated,' hey, Hunting geese, another reason for some one to purchase the property.'

19-Dec-22
Nice job Paul

19-Dec-22
Awesome first hunt of the season Paul! Teal is a mighty handsome young man, nothing finer than a new hunting partner, especially a Labrador! Congrats!

19-Dec-22
Way to go Paul and Teal!

What a start to season 12!

Thanks again for sharing with us. Excellent pics and recaps as usual. Easily, always one of my favorite threads.

19-Dec-22
My favorite thread on Bowsite every year. Great start to the season Paul and Teal! Following along.

19-Dec-22
Well done Paul ! The air traffic controller lingo had me laughing!! Good stuff!

19-Dec-22
I was wondering if you were going to do it this year. Certainly missing the pics of Chase the one-eyed wonderdog but glad you have Teal to carry the torch and look forward to his progression. Congrats on the honkers, good start!

19-Dec-22
Great pics!

19-Dec-22
Great Day, Paul!

Teal will be thinking about it...looking forward to watching his progress!

19-Dec-22
Nice hunt will be looking for more.

19-Dec-22
Always love this thread! Thanks for sharing Paul!

19-Dec-22
Thanks Paul for taking us along!!!

19-Dec-22
Opening day triple! Congrats Paul! With that kind of success, Teal is bound to be a quick learner!

19-Dec-22
Thanks for taking us along Paul! Great picture of Teal and the geese and this is a favorite thread!

19-Dec-22
Always enjoy following these winter adventures. Thanks for sharing.

19-Dec-22
Always fun to follow along. Thanks for posting!! Hunt

19-Dec-22
Paul - you should graduate to filming your hunts. You too can be a YouTuber!!

19-Dec-22
Great pics and hunt Paul! Love the pup dragging them in ha!

19-Dec-22
Off to a great start!

19-Dec-22
Well done! I'm always impressed by how you shoot more geese with a bow than I shoot with a Benelli.

19-Dec-22
Glad to see this, congrats, Paul & Teal!

19-Dec-22
Paul, I bet you will be able to continue your hunt with the new owners of the current owner puts in a good word for you. Where you are hunting won't interfere with anything they would do this time of year, and you make a tiny dent in the yard goose problem.

19-Dec-22
Great day, Paul....loved it!

19-Dec-22
Been waiting for your hunt. Looks like you and your partner did great.

19-Dec-22
Fantastic start to the 22-23 hopper season. Way to go!

19-Dec-22
Thanks for following along, the season lasts until mid Feb. I am going to make goose burgers from these 3 geese, add 15% hickory smoked thick bacon ground up, onions, some type of breading mix. I am currently soaking the breast meat in salt water to remove the blood. Anyone else try goose as a burger?

19-Dec-22
Great shooting Paul! Always enjoy following along! Kevin

20-Dec-22
Great job Paul! Love these threads every year.

20-Dec-22
Paul - another great story. Super pics!

20-Dec-22
Wat to go!

20-Dec-22
Another great thread - as others, I also look forward to this thread.

Hey Paul, I noticed there is ONE certain pic that is missing that you always posted with Chase. I'll wait / watch for it. Bob

20-Dec-22
Bob, "treats"????? Ha, Teal gets more than he deserves now. Hey, he has to earn his stripes.

20-Dec-22
Bet Teal gets excited the next time out when he realizes that you two are going goose hunting again. Good work so far for both of you!

20-Dec-22
Anything this afternoon? As you were pulling into the driveway I saw the flock from the aerated pond to the north take off and fly right over your setup. You may have been too late.. Good luck!

20-Dec-22
Lou. Will not hunt Yard Hoppers until next week when it re-warms after two day of below O. I only ran Teal near the goose field this afternoon.

20-Dec-22
Ah, ok. Those geese looked hell-bent on coming to your lawn!

20-Dec-22
Sounds like a great start for Teal! Some of the very best of bowsite right here!

20-Dec-22
Great start thanks Paul and Teal!

20-Dec-22
Way to go Paul, off to a great start. Teal will learn quick from a great teacher as it looks like you give him a lot of great learning experiences.

21-Dec-22
Teal seems to be coming along just fine.

Good luck, Robb

21-Dec-22
Congrats Paul thanks for starting my day off with a smile!

21-Dec-22
Great work Paul!! Always enjoy your goose threads!

21-Dec-22
Love it! Great stuff, congrats again on making such quality reading material.

22-Dec-22
Yeah, we all love a good treat once in a while - for me, it's a snickers. LOL

22-Dec-22
This is why I come here, thank you Paul and Teal:)

11-Jan-23
Nice way to start the season!

• Sitka Gear