Pat Lefemine 11-Jan-23
Zbone 11-Jan-23
Zim 12-Jan-23
28-Dec-22

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
This buck was on the KIA list but he just reappeared
This buck was on the KIA list but he just reappeared
This buck was in my oat field which borders the Amish property 120 yards next to me. At 4pm on opening day of ohio rifle this season I got a pic of him heading to their field. Twenty minutes later my neighbor texted me that he heard 13 shots from the Amish property.

That was the last time I, or any of my neighbors got a pic of this 4.5 with a 22-24” spread. We were 100% sure he was killed by the Amish army that afternoon. I passed him up twice last fall.

Then yesterday I got this pic of him after missing for a month. I wonder if they missed him? Whatever happened I’m glad he’s okay. It’s amazing how they just vanish then reappear.

Six mature resident bucks and 5 confirmed survivors this year. Not bad.

28-Dec-22
Dude, 5/6 is winning to me! Is season over now?

28-Dec-22
Still have inline muzzleloader and the rest of archery season but at least he has a chance.

28-Dec-22
Archery runs into February and muzzleloader runs 4 days in January, but historically very few hunt the muzzleloader or late archery after 2nd rifle. Except me, I’m out nonstop now. My standing beans are pulling deer in from all over. Getting 500 pics a night on my cell cams with several new bucks the last week. My #1 is daylighting now but I have to wait for a good wind.

I wish every state had Ohio’s season and tag structure.

28-Dec-22
Did Scarface make it through, or did the Pablo Yoder cartel get him?

28-Dec-22

Scarface is here every day. The SinaYoder cartel hasn’t whacked him yet.

28-Dec-22
Is Ohio still shotgun only

28-Dec-22
Good luck Pat!

28-Dec-22
Pic of your #1?

28-Dec-22
Cool looking buck, be nice to see if he explodes nontypical with those brow tine points next year...

Bou’bound - Used to be shotgun slugs only since guns season was adopted in the 1940's until 2014... Now here is how the regs lists:

" Shotgun: 10 gauge or smaller shotgun using one ball or one rifled slug per barrel (rifled shotgun barrels are permitted when using shotgun slug ammunition). Straight-walled cartridge rifles: All straightwalled cartridge calibers from a minimum of .357 to a maximum of .50 (includes .350 Legend)"

28-Dec-22
I have a 1200 acre property that is only bow hunted accept for turkey season. The day muzzle season starts you don’t see the older buck till right before sundown.

28-Dec-22
Happy he made it!

28-Dec-22
Thanks

28-Dec-22
That’s sone funny stuff t-roy and Pat.

28-Dec-22
I hope the Amish filled their tags with less coveted animals. I'm guessing antler size and deer age doesn't mean too much to them.

Matt

28-Dec-22
It’s a crap shoot whether bucks you let go will come back around, but I still refuse to shoot anything less than 3.5 even on my small (80 acre) place. I would like to go 4.5 or older but hunting all around me will get those bucks at 3.5.

28-Dec-22
Grey Ghost - Go over to the Ohio forum and view "amish xgun monster" thread if horns "doesn't mean too much to them"...

28-Dec-22
Dude, 5/6 is winning to me! Is season over now?

28-Dec-22

Forest, my #1 is Scarface. He was a 7 until this year and now he’s a 5.5 8-point about 140-145 gross.

I’ve known this buck since I bought the land in 2020, passed him several times in 20, 21. He blew up this year and I shot and wounded him in the shoulder on Halloween. Been trying to kill him since.

I’ve got better scoring bucks but I’m really hoping to get him.

28-Dec-22
he's missin an eye, you've shot him and he didnt die, kinda sounds like this buck should get a pass.. Whata ya say Pat? Make him a legend..

28-Dec-22
Nice population of bucks. Know it is a challenge to be a good steward to let them grow with what is abutting your property. Best of luck.

28-Dec-22
I always thought myself as "deer crazy" but Pat, you and a couple of my neighbors give it a whole new meaning. ;0)

28-Dec-22
Wow baiting deer and harping on the Amish is so masculine!

28-Dec-22
EmptyFreezer,

This buck is a warrior. I killed the buck that took his eye out last year. Im 95% certain of it. They fought all the time. He was 5.5 last year when scarface was 4.5.

Not getting a pass. But I bet he survives. He is incredibly smart and will only daylight when I’m back home in CT. As soon as I start moving around here he goes completely nocturnal.

28-Dec-22
Happens when one gets attached to what I term "Disney Deer", you know the give 'em a name bit before the kill. Happy New Year.

28-Dec-22
Pat should've got a farm in Oklahoma less amish and bigger deer then those tiny fellas.

28-Dec-22
I put cluch on a deer with one eye few years ago. We set up on his blind side of a trail going to food and killed him. Good luck Pat! Plenty of time left

29-Dec-22

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
My 2021 IL dream buck had only one eye. Probably why I got him. Lol. Driver’s side. You can see it in this photo, but can’t tell the eye ball is completely flat.

29-Dec-22
Nice. I had one mature buck on my piece and he got shot 4 miles away. 0 for 1 lol.

29-Dec-22

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
150" clean 4x4. Got the property in September, and really wanted to see him next year considering I didn't have an age on him. Underestimated his range and chance of being killed.

31-Dec-22
Apauls that sucks, maybe try an e collar and invisible fence next time? ;)

31-Dec-22
I’ve got nothing against the Amish but they like deer drives and most of their shots are at running deer. They aren’t very good shots. I used to hunt where the Amish hunt and a average year you’d find at least five or six dead deer. When they started issuing multiple doe tags 10 Amish would have 30 tags to fill. They would pound a area every day till they filled their tags. A lot of land owners posted their property to keep them from hunting their property.

31-Dec-22
If you post that about a group you have nothing against ……

31-Dec-22
Here’s what I’ve experienced with the Amish - there are some good and some not so good. You know, just like there is in any group of people.

31-Dec-22
I’ve got nothing against the Amish. I know several of them here who I like very much.

The previous Amish family was a nightmare. Constantly trespassing on several parcels and my neighbor even caught them stealing chips from a cellular camera - which is not smart. Confronted the dad and told him he lets his sons go wherever they want. Absolutely no respect for boundaries and no fear of the law. They’ve since moved.

The new family is respectful of my borders. So far I have no reason to consider them anything other than good neighbors. They have wounded 3 deer one of which I found behind my garage. I let them track all 3. They seem to shoot a lot of deer.

Bad apples in every bunch.

31-Dec-22
I worked my tail off to get permission to bow hunt a farm in Ohio. First day I was introduced spent the day with him riding around and he showing me all his property and farm leased property that was available. At the end of the day he said he would let me hunt. I was the ONLY bow hunter allowed access. 10 years later and several great bucks taken and some incredible bucks seen, I didn't pay a lease fee and slept in the farmers house in his deceased mothers bed all for free. Well there was all the electrical work I did for him through the years. Then the Amish started moving in. Finally they surrounded him and all the farm leased properties. The last two years I would maybe see one doe deer at some of the most incredible pinch points a man could ever wish for. Thought maybe they was nocturnal. NO trail cam pics except for a lone doe every couple nights.

I finally through in the towel. 12 years down the tubes. I could tell you stories about the "beloved" Amish but will refrain.

31-Dec-22

MA-PAdeerslayer's embedded Photo
MA-PAdeerslayer's embedded Photo
One eyed fella bit the dust this year

31-Dec-22
the problem with trying to manage deer is that eventually you are going to border up to someone who doesnt share your management goals. as long as they arent breaking the law...thats just the way it goes...doesnt matter if theyre amish...irish...spanish...or yiddish. they are welcome to take any deer they are legally entitled to take.

31-Dec-22
What is it with the Amish? Do they just ignore the game laws? What is their reasoning?

31-Dec-22
Can’t control the neighbors is true. Kinda takes the wind out of my sails when it seems like every 1.5 buck I pass gets shot or worse wounded by the neighbors. Guess I’m just a leaf watcher or meat hunter going forward.

31-Dec-22
Had a big forkhorn whitetail under my stand this past fall in SD. I think he was at least a 2.5 year old. He had a freshly gouged out eye. Bloody still. He played around in the scrapes around my stand, wagging his tail like nothing happened. Unreal how tough deer are.

31-Dec-22
They are the states deer and not individually owned for better or worse

31-Dec-22
Fingers crossed for cold weather. Big boys stay dark when late season is warm.

11-Jan-23
Pat - Since muzzleloader just ended, got update on mature bucks survival?

11-Jan-23
100% of my resident 4+ bucks survived. I am shocked. The 4 days of muzzleloader season this year sounded like Fallujah. I bet I heard 30 'close' shots. My top target buck disappeared and I don't think he's been gone for more than 2 nights - ever. I was sure he got killed due to a broken front leg. He showed up last night, along with all my other PY bucks. They are pretty freaked out, however. All nocturnal.

11-Jan-23
Before you said not a lot of muzzleloader pressure around you and at the time I thought, he isn't in the areas I've hunted where it can be as as crazy as first couple days of gunseason... Glad to hear of survivors... I prefer Ohio's regulations and seasons over all other states, but it's still flawed...

Yeah nocturnal, have always hated the way they separate these 3 spaced gunseasons since they started doing so... As soon as big bucks relax a little and start moving during daylight, BOOM, another firestick sends them into the night... Reason I like the last week or so of bowseason, bucks relax again, and with the usually cold weather crowds disappear... Have killed a few the last week including the very last minutes of the last day of a 4-plus month season... If I only had 2 weeks a season to hunt, it'd be the 2nd week of November and the last week of bowseason... Only bad thing, some bucks are shed by then... Although if you get the know the one you're after and have history, many or most in the same health shed within with a couple days of the same date annually...

Wish they'd move muzzleloader back into December like it used to be, but was told the muzzleloaders complained they didn't want the hunt during the holidays... Then we always hear of somebody killing a big shed buck during the January muzzleloader season around here... Buddy once killed a nice buck during muzzleloader and antler pulled off when he went to drag... If they'd just leave the month of January to the bowhunters, a lot less shed bucks would die, and if a buck was within bow range, most bowhunters can determine if it's a doe or shed buck...

12-Jan-23
“They are pretty freaked out, however. All nocturnal” ??, I bet they are.

• Sitka Gear