Wv hillbilly 08-Jan-23
Wv hillbilly 09-Jan-23
RJ Hunt 09-Jan-23
Wv hillbilly 10-Jan-23
kakiatkids 10-Jan-23
t-roy 10-Jan-23
28-Dec-22

Wv hillbilly 's embedded Photo
First one this year was a cherry! Long guard hair and full. Plus light color.
First one this year was a cherry! Long guard hair and full. Plus light color.
Guess I’ve been doing this since 2017. It’s nice to look back and see how the season went. I’m a little late this year. Prices are at the bottom and have been busy.

Was a good year for the freezer. Had a great two weeks in the mountains after elk. Had four different opportunities that I screwed up on but that’s a different story. Shot my first trad bow whitetail this year.

The fur truck stops close to me on the 15th this year so I’ll shut the line down by then. If ya wanna follow along I’ll try to update daily. Hope everyone that can is doing some predator control. Post up some pics if you have success.

28-Dec-22

First trad bow deer
First trad bow deer
I had a couple spots set up since shotgun season ended here and have managed to pull 9 into the shed so far. Just added a few more snares to both spots and set up a additional property this evening. I run mostly snares. The winter weather isn’t very friendly to traps and I have limited time to deal with them. Snares work 24-7 and don’t care if it rains or freezes.

28-Dec-22

It’s amazing how calm some of them are when you walk up. Others go nuts and it takes a bit to get them shot.
It’s amazing how calm some of them are when you walk up. Others go nuts and it takes a bit to get them shot.
Before it froze here a buddy and I set up a couple marshes and pulled several muskrats out. Everything is frozen now. If I get some open water I might get after a few more. Mostly just trying to knock out a few deer killers now.

28-Dec-22

Got a couple good ones so far. A few are rubbed to bad to sell for much. Prices have went in the dumpster. Ended up with a 11$ average last year. Don’t expect any better this year.
Got a couple good ones so far. A few are rubbed to bad to sell for much. Prices have went in the dumpster. Ended up with a 11$ average last year. Don’t expect any better this year.

28-Dec-22
I have gotten 9 possums and 6 coons so far in about 3 weeks on 90 acres. I set 5 jaw traps and never got a nibble after 7 days.

I tripped everything before the storm last Thursday. Went walking today to check the snow for tracks. One coyote passing thru and one set of bobcat tracks. Will let the rain pass thru and reset next Tuesday or Wednesday.

28-Dec-22
Good luck redneck hunter. Keep after them.

28-Dec-22

One of the new sets made today. Supposed to warm up and start raining by the weekend.
One of the new sets made today. Supposed to warm up and start raining by the weekend.

28-Dec-22

Set a few on Christmas while it was still real cold. Broke the head off the anchor driver. Luckily I have a extra.
Set a few on Christmas while it was still real cold. Broke the head off the anchor driver. Luckily I have a extra.

28-Dec-22

molsonarcher's embedded Photo
Kill em all WV. I quit at 12 coons. Just had to scratch the itch.

28-Dec-22

29-Dec-22
Some big coon ya got there molsonarcher

29-Dec-22
Az, no trash pandas on the menu here.

Wv mostly 2-3x onthe stretcher. Didnt weigh any but they are solid $2 coons!

29-Dec-22
Glad you are having good success trapping. I’d never skin/stretch them at todays fur price. But to each his own.

29-Dec-22

Catscratch's embedded Photo
I posted on another thread (I think your old one) but I'll post em here too.

29-Dec-22

29-Dec-22

29-Dec-22
Best game dish I ever ate was oven-roasted raccoon.

29-Dec-22
Good looking yotes catscratch. I have been saving the back legs on muskrats. Very good eating.

29-Dec-22
Here you can get more money for muskrat meat than the hide. Some restaurants near here have muskrat dinners and you would have to stand in line to get in.

29-Dec-22
Great job David! Kill all you can! And congratulations on your first traditional archery kill! That's high on my priority list for next season.

29-Dec-22
Thanks deer hunter 72. It took several years to get it done. Didn’t catch anything today. I’m sure I’ll have something tomorrow since it’s supposed to rain. Anything I catch will be a mud ball.

29-Dec-22
Have caught 11 raccoons, 1 opossum, 1 skunk, 1 fisher, and 1 red fox. Had a coyote step right on my trap pan, but the trap had frozen with the crazy weather that we have had here (Near Buffalo, NY)....was thinking about a hay set....but the snow is really starting to melt, so I may hold off. I just trap to keep the predators in check because I really enjoy my turkey hunting..... I really like catching the raccoons....the little bastards will cut a hen track in the Spring, and then backtrack the hen to her nest.

29-Dec-22
Very nice thread WV! Love to see trapping is still going. I can’t trap much here but we sure shoot a few Coyotes

30-Dec-22
Do you have any good skinning knives RJ....LOL. For those that know, Rob is a fantastic knife maker! Happy New Year buddy!

30-Dec-22
Thanks Rob! Post some pics of the ones ya shoot. Brownbirdhntr your right. Makes the best knives I’ve ever used.

30-Dec-22

Here’s a good one from I think 09. My buddy Greg and youngest brother used to catch ‘em with me. Think we ended they year with 150 some.
Here’s a good one from I think 09. My buddy Greg and youngest brother used to catch ‘em with me. Think we ended they year with 150 some.

30-Dec-22

wytex's embedded Photo
wytex's embedded Photo
wytex's embedded Photo
wytex's embedded Photo
We're getting our trapline going in earnest this week for the next month or so. Caught these coyotes over Thanksgiving week. They are stretched and dried and hoping for $20.

30-Dec-22
I second the knives Rob makes. I have one, but 2 on order.

30-Dec-22

RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
Thanks for the kind words on the knives guys. On yotes…. I haven’t caught any but have tuned some up with the ole 223

30-Dec-22

RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
RJ Hunt's embedded Photo

30-Dec-22

Set a couple footholds this evening
Set a couple footholds this evening
Nothing today. Set a new properly this evening.

31-Dec-22
Another goose egg today. It’s a muddy mess out. Set up another property today. Didn’t cut any new tracks all day. Hopefully they move some tonight. Happy new year!

01-Jan-23

Got one mud ball coon today. I set one trap for them yesterday.
Got one mud ball coon today. I set one trap for them yesterday.
Should of named this thread trying to catch coyotes. Only one coon today. I did set up three beaver traps and a couple muskrat sets. Hopefully everything moves tonight

02-Jan-23

Got a beaver and a coon today.
Got a beaver and a coon today.
8 days in a row without catching a yote.

02-Jan-23
Atta boy WV. My favorite critter to catch right there

02-Jan-23
Wv, I really enjoy seeing your catches and sets. That snare really popped out at me. What is it set for, seems to me a little small for coyote? God bless.

02-Jan-23
Thanks fellas. 2wild bill, the snare in the snow is set for yotes. I dye all mine dark so they blend with the grass and weeds on trails. They stand out with snow as a background. We don’t usually get enough snow to be worth the effort of coloring them white. It is a little small. I usually make my loops 8” around and 8” off the ground. This usually keeps the deer out. Most books and people recommend 10” round and 10” off the ground.

02-Jan-23
Never done any trapping but this is an awsome thread. I'd like to see the coyote population where I live decrease

02-Jan-23
Love it.

03-Jan-23
Wv Hillbilly.........not to be a smart ass but that pic of you with your friend & brother reminds me of the tv show Letterkenny! Pitter Patter!

03-Jan-23
Tgbow, it’s easy and cheap to get started. Just takes time and dedication.

Nomad @ work, never seen that I’ll have to look it up.

Been raining here all day. Gonna be a muddy mess checking the line after work today.

03-Jan-23

One soaked coon today. Beaver traps were under 12’ of water. Supposed to rain some more tomorrow.
One soaked coon today. Beaver traps were under 12’ of water. Supposed to rain some more tomorrow.
9 days in a row without one. Something has to give soon.

03-Jan-23
Care to share some of that rain with KS? We could sure use it! Nice catch! It's not always easy to catch them in mud.

03-Jan-23
Catscratch, you can have all the rain. I’m sick of the mud! Wish it would freeze up. I hate skinning muddy wet critters.

04-Jan-23

Got one yote and a beaver today
Got one yote and a beaver today
Finally. Some action.

04-Jan-23

Caught another one but the ground is so wet now it pulled a wolf fang anchor buried 22” deep.
Caught another one but the ground is so wet now it pulled a wolf fang anchor buried 22” deep.

04-Jan-23

Beaver was 17.11 lb. Slightly smaller than the last one. I saved the loins and back legs off them both.
Beaver was 17.11 lb. Slightly smaller than the last one. I saved the loins and back legs off them both.

04-Jan-23
How does one go about dispatching these caught coyotes?? .22 ??

05-Jan-23
I use a .22.

05-Jan-23
Head shot?

05-Jan-23
Nice catch there WV.

A .22 short to the lungs bleeds less than a headshot(normally) Sometimes its really hard to get that angle when you are solo though.

05-Jan-23
Nice catch WV. I agree on the mud! We thawed out as well for a few days and was a goopy mess.

05-Jan-23
If I'm going to tan the pelt for a wall hanger I use a .22 hollow point in the lungs. I want a good face without holes.

If it's just to be stretched and dried I do head shots.

05-Jan-23
Thanks fellas. Hopefully have some more after work today. I use a 22 and lung or heart shoot them. Like molsonarcher said it’s less blood when you skin them usually. You can also crack them in the head with a shovel handle then stand on the their chest if you want to avoid a hole.

05-Jan-23
There was a documentary called Trapper Jake on Amazon Prime about a 90 something year old trapper in Wyoming. Very entertaining. He would just walk up to the coyotes and swat them in the throat with steel rod. Killed them very efficiently with no holes or blood.

05-Jan-23
We’ll be getting started in Tennessee this coming week kill em all Lewis

05-Jan-23
My brother trapped 40-80 coyotes per year in west central Ks, when the hides were worth saving. He trapped for 30 plus years, and still makes a half dozen sets per year for fun. All of his were killed with a .22 rimfire in the head.

05-Jan-23
Buddy called me yesterday. He's lost 3 chickens in the last week. Made 3 sets and had a feral cat and a possum this morning. Reset them today. Made 2 sets today at another place where I saw bobcat tracks. Coyote seem down in our area. No tracks at all last week in the snow after 5 days.

05-Jan-23

That’s more gooder. Got some skinning to do after a 3d shoot tonight
That’s more gooder. Got some skinning to do after a 3d shoot tonight
Blue buck I’ve seen that one. I’d love to set down and talk to that old timer. Good luck Lewis!

05-Jan-23
Nice Haul WV!

05-Jan-23
Thats a good haul! If ya need help skinning nust lemme know.

05-Jan-23
Thanks fellas. Just got them done Matt. Thanks for the offer. Won the 3d shoot tonight also.

05-Jan-23
Nice, Wv! Looks like a pretty good sized beaver, too.

06-Jan-23
To dispatch the canines, I always just gave them a good tap on the bridge of the snout. Doesn't take much and knocks them out cold. Then I'd just heart stomp them. Worked really well and no bloody mess.

Nice work Wv...really enjoy this thread!

06-Jan-23

Lewis 's embedded Photo
Lewis 's embedded Photo
Hope to show y’all a close up of this guy he is on the hit list he came to that scrape 30 minutes behind a doe and a nice buck.Good luck all Lewis

06-Jan-23
Cool thread!

06-Jan-23

Got another one for the pile today.
Got another one for the pile today.
Thanks fellas. Troy it was 36.5lb looks like a few days with no rain coming up. Hope to get a few more before I shut it down next week.

07-Jan-23
Thanks for taking me alone again.

07-Jan-23

One yote and two coon today
One yote and two coon today

07-Jan-23

Pretty cool colored yote.
Pretty cool colored yote.

08-Jan-23
Got nothing today. Pulled snares on three properties.

09-Jan-23

One coon today. Gonna pull the last three properties tomorrow.
One coon today. Gonna pull the last three properties tomorrow.

09-Jan-23
Good stuff Dave

10-Jan-23
Well, that’s how it happened. Pulled the last three properties this evening. Didn’t catch anything. Gotta brush and bag everything to drop off at the fur truck on Friday. Hope following along for a couple weeks was enjoyable. Ended up with. 15 yotes, 19 rats, 5 coon and 3 beaver. Good luck to everyone in 2023! God bless.

10-Jan-23
Damn, you boys are doing some work...

10-Jan-23
Thanks for taking us along, Wv!

• Sitka Gear