APauls 10-Jan-23
Kannuck 10-Jan-23
greenmountain 10-Jan-23
ryanrc 10-Jan-23
Smtn10PT 10-Jan-23
Bou'bound 11-Jan-23
Bou'bound 15-Jan-23
09-Jan-23
I have a Spot Hogg sight in the classifieds here. Some fine fellow called Melvin Scott replied and said he will send me a cashiers check for more than the sale price, and I could cash it and return the balance in cash to his agent when he picks up the sight. I know bow siters would laugh him off, but just fyi. I told to go do something anatomically impossible.

09-Jan-23
I got same line from Melvin and another guy “named” Vincent concerning a jacket I’m selling. Pure BS.

09-Jan-23
Thar agent better have really big gun.

09-Jan-23
I get those all the time. Honestly though how do they rip you off with that model. Is it just getting some personal info or what. The are not going to ever pick up the product so you won’t be out the item. How do they profit ?

09-Jan-23
I always tell them I increased the item price to $19,000 and they always agree to the increase.

09-Jan-23
How does it work- They send you a fraudulent bank check for substantially more than the item for sale. They ask you to cash the check, and send them the extra money or they pick up the extra money with the item to be sold. A few weeks go by and the bank tells you that the check was bad, and they’re taking it out of your account. So the scammer has some cash, the item that was for sale, and your bank account is lighter. I guess it has worked on some people.

09-Jan-23
Oh. I did not realize they asked for money back. I assumed they never showed up to get the item.

09-Jan-23
I cash checks for a living. I see a lot of these cashier checks and people trying to cash them. What they hope you will do is deposit check, your bank holds check, you send them the amount you are suppose to send before your bank post the check as returned.

A common one I see check come in the store is for putting wraps on your car. Like to advertise for Pepsi. They send you a check for $5000. You are suppose to send money often by sharing the number of cash gift cards you buy to the "person" that is going to put the wraps on vehicle.

09-Jan-23

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Here are a few examples of the cashiers checks. Once I find out from the bank they are fake. I don't give them back. I tell the customer they're fake and they're not get them back. I can keep them or we can call the police. Almost always when I say that they know they're fake and can't get out of the store fast enough.

09-Jan-23
Dale , I’ll take it and send you a check for whatever you want and you don’t have to send me any money back for over payment. You just need to ship the sight when you receive the check before it’s cashed. Lol

09-Jan-23
SS, that’s a great deal, for one of us??

10-Jan-23
What is the path to profit? If they don’t ask for money back? I’m almost sure that the jokers that have contacted me have not asked for me to return money only to provide the product to their agent who comes to pick it up. Obviously, you could be out the product if you were to provide it, but I never understood and still don’t if they’re not asking for money back how they monetize this scam.

They do ask obviously for address and phone number which is what I was thinking they really wanted to and somehow someway do something with your identity

10-Jan-23
Does anyone get the e-mail you should verify your delivery for such and such an item from a seemingly legit delivery co.? I received four e-mails one day for four different items, four different delivery services. The last time I ordered anything to be delivered was from S/H green stamps or Spiegal catalog... 606 Chicago Illinois ;0)

10-Jan-23
The in- person pickup of item and extra cash would make for an excellent opportunity to glitter-bomb their ass.

10-Jan-23
I have read a number of text chains from people with the fake checks. Including ones for someone selling something on the internet. In the end it always to try and get you to return some of the money to a third party. I assume at some point part of money goes to delivery company. That money is sent through gift cards or some other non trackable form.

10-Jan-23
Yes they always "overpay" so that you send some money back. Even if you never sent money back you they would still receive the item for nothing. Hard to lose from their end.

10-Jan-23
So why can't you just cash the check and hold the item until the bank tells you it cleared?

10-Jan-23
I bought an item on EBAY some years ago. The item was quite reasonable but not in the "Steal category " I was told by Ebay that it was a probable scam. I stopped payment . The seller thanked me for letting them know. When the item arrived I allowed payment. I wonder if I hadn't stopped payment if I would have seen the item. I will never know.

10-Jan-23
You can watch on YouTube a guy who scams the computer scanners by letting them think they are getting access to his computer but really he is hacking into theirs. Then he deletes their files while on the phone with them and they freak out

10-Jan-23
It's too bad you cant detain the people that come in with the fake checks or a cloned credit card. My buddy got a call from his credit card company to let him know someone was trying to use his card in a Target store. I dont know how these scammers can sleep at night.

11-Jan-23
What is the path to profit? If they don’t ask for money back? I’m almost sure that the jokers that have contacted me have not asked for me to return money only to provide the product to their agent who comes to pick it up. Obviously, you could be out the product if you were to provide it, but I never understood and still don’t if they’re not asking for money back how they monetize this scam.

They do ask obviously for address and phone number which is what I was thinking they really wanted to and somehow someway do something with your identity

15-Jan-23
Here us one from today. See they don’t say the will pay more and need money back

Hello, Thanks for the quick response about the item am buying from you, any way the price is OK by me but i will like you to know that payment will be made by cashier's check. If this mode of payment is OK by you.

Kindly send your information which you would like to receive the payment from the post man, so that i can instruct my secretary to issue it immediately

Name to be on cashier's check..... Address where cashier's check will be received by you: ....... Phone Number's such as Mobile, Land line and Office number: Asking Price.........

Never mind about the pickup,Hope to read from you soon

Thanks, and get back

• Sitka Gear