timex 13-Jan-23
Supernaut 13-Jan-23
ToomanybowsBob 13-Jan-23
Corax_latrans 13-Jan-23
Corax_latrans 13-Jan-23
MichaelArnette 13-Jan-23
12-Jan-23
Good day fellow archers,

I would like to know if there are any other single bevel heads under $90 other than the cutthroats and VPAs? All other popular heads are breaking the $100 mark. I know its $10 only but as I am from RSA $10 is around R200.

Thanks in advance.

12-Jan-23
Check Sirius Archery - Evolution SB. Comes in 125, 150 and 200 grain versions.

$117 for a 3 pack. Pretty good value for a head that is machined out of one piece of S7 tool steel. I shoot the 3 blade version - they are tuff.

12-Jan-23
I shoot150 gr. Kudu Points - shoot very well and hit hard - 53.00 for 3 of them. https://kudupoint.com/product-category/archery-broadheads/150-grain/

12-Jan-23
Grizzly broadheads. Been around for years.

12-Jan-23
Helix are in the $60 range.

12-Jan-23
I can see buying a tempered steel head for the big dangerous game species...but buying expensive heads in a presentation box for deer- really? Sorry, I don't get it....my $6 heads have killed as many as 3 critters and with a 30 second touch up keep on ticking if I could keep track of them.

12-Jan-23
$6 heads? Couldn’t you find any cheap ones? ??

If it were rockier here, I might have a different mindset. But one good head will last me for years - the cost is almost irrelevant.

Sounds like the OP is prepping for buff.

12-Jan-23
"Grizzly broadheads. Been around for years.".....yep.

12-Jan-23
Grizzly broadheads are good heads. Besides killing stuff their customer service is good. I broke a ferule when a Grizzly single bevel broadhead stuck in the offside shoulder of a bison and Grizzly sent me a new broadhead.

12-Jan-23
I've killed a pile of hogs in Florida using single bevel heads from dirt nap gear.

12-Jan-23
VanDieman heads, built in Australia. One of the most consistent heads I've seen and used. Built extremely tough. The only single bevel head I'll use.

12-Jan-23

timex's embedded Photo
timex's embedded Photo
Abowyer......this pic is a 120 grain bonehead. With a long screw in adapter it's around 150 grains. These are super tough heads and somewhere around $65 for 3 haven't looked in a while

12-Jan-23
A bowyer. I have had a lot of good experiences using them.

12-Jan-23
I'm loving the VPA single bevel premium S3 steel broadheads. Sharpening is tedious but the finished product is second to none for edge retention and durability.

12-Jan-23
Abowyer makes high quality single bevels. Larry is the original single bevel guy.

13-Jan-23
There are plenty of single bevel heads available at about $15 each or less. Try three Rivers archery just as a start. I’m pretty sure that you can still buy Ace broad heads for about six dollars each and they will grind them single bevel for you on request. In between, there is the Zwickey No Mercy single bevel, and those are eight or nine dollars each. You can even buy bear razor heads for about 25 bucks each in the single-bevel , though I really don’t know why you would do that… Just seems like there are much better options..

13-Jan-23
Thanks for all the replies. Appreciated!

Will check out the broadheads mentioned. Abowyer in particular. I mainly want to use it for plainsgame here in RSA.

For buffalo, I think cutthroats 250gr will work. I seen someone on youtube use it, cant remember the name now.

13-Jan-23
GF when I hunt in rocky areas or the sawgrass along the marsh edges I shoot the zwickey no mercy and their a good head. But there's absolutely no comparison between an abowyer and a zwickey. I bought 3 abowyer heads in 2007 and liked em so much I bought 6 more in 2008. $ 45.00 for 3 back then. I have 4 of the 9 left and no telling how many deer the one pictured above has killed. Don't get me wrong zwickeys kill just fine but there's no comparison between the two.

13-Jan-23
Another vote for Grizzlys for a great a single bevel head.

13-Jan-23
Used Abowyer a few years ago on a Sika deer. Went about 5 yards. They really do make an S shaped hole.

TMBB

13-Jan-23
There are plenty of single bevel heads available at about $15 each or less. Try three Rivers archery just as a start. I’m pretty sure that you can still buy Ace broad heads for about six dollars each and they will grind them single bevel for you on request. In between, there is the Zwickey No Mercy single bevel, and those are eight or nine dollars each. You can even buy bear razor heads for about 25 bucks each in the single-bevel , though I really don’t know why you would do that… Just seems like there are much better options..

13-Jan-23

Corax_latrans's embedded Photo
Corax_latrans's embedded Photo
Where’s the damn delete button???

“Don't get me wrong zwickeys kill just fine but there's no comparison between the two.”

I wouldn’t expect so. And if I were using a fast, heavy compound with a fast, heavy arrow to shoot REALLY big game, I can well imagine that you would have to re-write the spec on the performance window compared to recurves & longbows. They really ARE a whole ’nother animal.

Myself, I figure I don’t need a broadhead to be any stronger than just a bit more than my strongest bow can break.

So far, I’ve figured out that the short adapters can be driven down into the ferrule. And that ain’t great. So full-length it is…

OTOH, what happened to the head in the picture… note that everything held together and this arrow would have been able to direct whatever remaining inertia that it had pretty much as if nothing had happened. And FWIW, there is no living thing in NA that could match the resistance of what I hit here. So there’s that.

13-Jan-23
Vandieman heads

• Sitka Gear