Corax_latrans 14-Jan-23
Grey Ghost 14-Jan-23
PeteO 14-Jan-23
PeteO 14-Jan-23
Corax_latrans 15-Jan-23
Corax_latrans 15-Jan-23
Corax_latrans 15-Jan-23
12-Jan-23
Seems like with so many guys switching to them, and since we don’t allow them on the 3D/field courses…. We’re dropping memberships like flies.

And we still have a pretty deep waiting list to join.

And most of the new members are shooting single-string bows.

So it’s getting back to the roots. Which ain’t a bad thing. JMO.

And I think the state now asks whether “archery” deer were taken with Crossbow, Compound or Stick. At least vertical vs horizontal, anyway.

Might even be enough to persuade them to regulate crossbows differently than verticals on Public.

That could be good.

12-Jan-23
Where is there a waiting list?

13-Jan-23
Our local archery club.

We have to keep the membership down to a certain number for insurance purposes, so there is a cap. And places to shoot are awfully hard to come by around here, so there are plenty of folks around who are dying to get regular access to the facility. Lucky for them, we are probably going to start holding open shoots again, after about three years hiatus. The only problem is that people come and have such a good time that the waiting list gets that much deeper.

It’s good to have a few compound guys around, though… Otherwise, every shot would be set up for 48 1/2 feet… ;)

13-Jan-23
I keep forgetting that things elsewhere ain't like around here. Glad you're getting back to opening up shoots. In 2020 we were cancelling shoots, now attendance is climbing.

ASA has a crossbow class, they shoot from the farthest stakes - out to 50 yards I think.

13-Jan-23
X bow is a non issue in my area on the coast of VA. Trophy hunting is the issue. Way to many does around here, it's great if your a meat hunter like myself, not so great for a farmer. And my biggest fear is that if man doesn't control the heard nature will. Quite a few reports of hemoeagics (spelling) disease kill off this summer but myself personally didn't see it

14-Jan-23
Corax,

Your profile says you're from "Other"? Where are places to shoot hard to come by?

14-Jan-23
Our club draws members from NYC and all the way up through Westchester County and SW CT. We might even have a few guys driving across from northern NJ….

And by “a place to shoot”, I’m talking about more than just standing in one place in the back yard; you can’t learn to judge range if you don’t constantly vary the distance you’re shooting. At the club, we’re on 22 acres, so we have 2 3D courses, a knockablock course and an NFAA circuit with shots out to 80 yards or more, so it’s easy to spend a couple hours, take 60-100 shots or more, and (most importantly) forget about all that day-to-day CRAP for a while….

It’s a lot like taking your bow for a walk in the woods, except there are no hikers, no bikers and no dog-walkers, but there are all these great TARGETS just begging to be shot up…. And you can do it on Sunday, when on public land here you’d be risking a blue-law violation…. If it were legal to shoot targets on public land… but it ain’t.

We’re not in Laramie anymore!

14-Jan-23
All that on just 22 acres? Man, sometimes I forget how spoiled we are in the west.

Matt

14-Jan-23
If I lived closer I would want to join your club. Great location, clubhouse and members. Except for Mikey??

14-Jan-23
If I lived closer I would want to join your club. Great location, clubhouse and members. Except for Mikey??

15-Jan-23

Corax_latrans's embedded Photo
@GG - It’s all laid out on basically the same trail system, so you’ve got your choice of targets and stakes and markers at each station. Which is helpful when your kid picks off the knockablock….

Keeps things somewhat orderly when we occasionally get busy with an open shoot.

Found a pic with the NFAA, the 3D and the knocka all in one frame… And you can mix things up, so I here, I tried to thread a shot just wide of the NFAA backstop (shooting from the knockablock post) and get the 3D…. Which I did… on my second shot. ;)

Mikey is the Evil Genius who set up the knockablock course. The hours he puts in for that and the Trad Shoot that he set up for a few years ago are something else….

Good to see him getting the public flogging he deserves….

15-Jan-23

Second shot was better - had to hold a little farther back
Second shot was better - had to hold a little farther back

15-Jan-23

My younger son can’t pass up the knockas…. This one is longer than the 3D stake for sights shooters
My younger son can’t pass up the knockas…. This one is longer than the 3D stake for sights shooters

• Sitka Gear