Whocares 25-Mar-23
Supernaut 25-Mar-23
midwest 25-Mar-23
Shug 26-Mar-23
pav 26-Mar-23
elkpacker 26-Mar-23
IdyllwildArcher 26-Mar-23
13-Jan-23
Now that we are into 2023, I'm trying to settle into a workout routine. I have a membership to BeachBody and just started a new program. In the past I have done P90x3, Muscle Burns Fat, and Muscle Burns Fat Advance. My hope and goal is to work out 4-5 times a week.

I'm also starting a new diet challenge. No snacks!!! I'm on day 3 and so far it has gone well. I walked past the box of doughnuts in the office today without any issues. The snack after dinner is the hardest to skip.

I'm also going to really work on cutting the adult drinks out of my life. A few each month max is my goal.

As we roll into summer, my hope is to walk more and bust out the bike to and hit the road.

The ultimate goal is to drop 10-15 pounds, be in better shape for scouting, hanging stands, and hunting.

What are you doing to be in better health? What keeps you motivated?

13-Jan-23
Never stopped...

13-Jan-23
I don't like being cold. So in preparation for hunting season I always make sure to have some "insulation"

13-Jan-23
I haven't started for 22 yet

13-Jan-23
I am. I said I’d run a marathon before I went to the Yukon…. I’ll be in the Yukon in 8 months…. I’ve done a half so it can only be about 5 times harder.

On a side note there is truth to not losing to much so you don’t freeze on a hunt

13-Jan-23
No offseason for exercise for me. I increase intensity as I get closer to a mountain hunt but it is easier for me to keep in shape than get in shape.

13-Jan-23
Exercise is a lifetime activity. Only time I don’t exercise is due to sickness or injury. I just don’t feel right mentally or physically if I am not active.

13-Jan-23
I'm with 'Ike'. But I put a few pounds on over the holidays. I started running on the treadmill 3 miles at 6 mph, so 30 minutes for 3 miles. I then walk a mile at approx 4 mph (15 minutes). Then I usually walk the dog for 2-3 miles most days. I've gone from 208 to 204 in the last week. I like to hang just over 200 so a few more to go. I do this cardio two days in a row and then I do a strength training day. Takes about an hour. I do either 3 sets of bench or push ups, 3 sets lat pulls, 3 sets sitting row, 3 sets of tricep push down, and 3 sets of curls. In between sets of bench/push ups and lat pulls I do an ab exercise. Usually 50 crunches, then 75 various crunches, then 50 pelvic thrust type thingies. Has kept me in pretty decent shape to my 60th year this year. Most important for results for me is watching what goes in my piehole. I also do a stretching routing every weekday morning before work to ward off sciatica and shoulder pain.

13-Jan-23
Nice work wisconsinteacher!

I get up at 3:40 a.m. Hit the gym for 45 min. All big, compound lifts 5 days a week. Core and arms the other 2 days.

After work, I hit the roads or trails for a 45 min. run or run/walk depending on weather and energy levels. Weighted pack hikes on the weekend.

Drink a gallon of water a day.

No alcohol, no sugar, no processed foods, low carb, clean diet, and no cheat days.

Read 10 pages of a personal development book every day.

It's called 75 Hard.

This will get me through March until I start my serious training for the 100K I signed up for and all the races leading up to it.

I'm 64 and feel like 24. Really.

13-Jan-23
Nope.

13-Jan-23
It's part of my daily life. However at my age it's all done in the water. I aqua jog, 300 minutes a week. Cardio and muscles oxygenated. Leg work is 100 meter swim fin speed run. Do all weight work in water. Of course I am retired so schedule of time is no issue.

I am waiting for rotator cuff repair, or I would do military lap swim workouts.

I see alot of tri athletes doing aqua jogging at this time of year.

13-Jan-23
I get enough strength workouts at work doing construction.

I do need to work on my cardio, and have full intentions of starting on that very soon. The wife and I ordered a pair of pedal drive kayaks, so once those arrive we will be on the water 2-3x a week.

In the interim, after catching up on a few jobs, the dogs will be getting a 3-5 mile walk several times a week.

I really do need to change my eating habits, they are really bad! Thats first on the list.

Over the summer i plan to hit the trails in southern Ohio with a weighted pack for extended hiking sessions.

All this in prep for an elk tag I dont have yet; ) !

13-Jan-23
I workout 6 days/week as much as possible. I alternate days between anaerobic (Bowflex revolution) and aerobic (elliptical/bike riding). Being addicted to life in general, and bowhunting elk specifically, is all the motivation I need at 69.

13-Jan-23
I ran 12 months of the year from 1962 to 2012 to stay in shape etc. Now at 77, I walk to still allow me to elk hunt, doctors' orders. Still packing them out.

13-Jan-23
Six days a week, 52 weeks a year, either treadmill or weight machine. Been doing that since I prepped for an elk hunt in 1984.

13-Jan-23
Midwest that’s insane training … can’t wait to hear about it more as we get closer to that 100k…..wow that’s a lot of “k” lol. I’m finally back into the gym now that the kids are older and schedules are manageable etc with them now all sleeping and not up all night with me and the wife taking shifts… up at 445, gym till 615, shower then off to work for 7. Then after work is all kid activities which now keeps me going even more. Between karate hockey and soccer were always going somewheres.

13-Jan-23
"Never stopped..." for years.

13-Jan-23
I do bicep curls for a few hours a day. The weight has been changing. About a year ago it was only 10 pounds, now he's closer to 20. My 60lb weight has since moved to carry on my back or shoulders. Minimum one sit up per day, half in the morning and half before bed.

In all seriousness last fall was brutal between work and infant. Was happy to hire some people recently and finally hit the gym again last week. I'm not a resolution guy that's just how the timing worked out. Was shocked the gym wasn't twice as full as usual. First quarter of the year usually sucks. Also play hockey all winter which is really fun.

13-Jan-23
Continuing with crossfit. I’ve only been doing 2 days a week through the holidays and ate all the yummy holiday food. Transitioning back to 4 days per week crossfit and meat/veggies.

13-Jan-23
We farm, buy, sell and deliver hay all year. I don't hit the gym at all. Cardio isn't where it should be but my tank is usually on "E" at the end of most days so I make do with what I have.

13-Jan-23
IF YOU ARE A TENNIS PLAYER THAT KIND OF EXERCISE WILL PUT YOU MILES AHEAD IN YOUR MOUNTAIN CLIMBING HUNT, I know from experience.

13-Jan-23
Yep, 24/365, made it a life style 83 years ago but now make the work outs lighter and shorter. Legs and lungs, positive both physical and mental attitude! Just keep moving forward as all it takes it placing one foot in front of the other!

13-Jan-23
Never give up!

13-Jan-23
Kind of like Paul said. At 76 I don't go as hard as I used to. Lighter weights. Snowshoe a couple miles 4 or 5 days most weeks, walk 3 miles 4 or 5 days a week on indoor track at the Y in winter. In summer hike the local ski hill about 5 days a week. Doing squats and dead lift for the core and hips and legs to help pack elk quarters and spending 2 months or more in the mountains each Fall. Being retired and living alone makes it a lot easier to find the time. And seems more important as you get older. Do have what some might consider a bad habit.

13-Jan-23
I give you guys credit to do the treadmill, run or just make your own schedule. I have never been a runner of more than 90' at a time!!! (One of the reasons I loved baseball as a kid)

For me without a video or something like that, I wouldn't get far.

As far as motivation, I print pictures of the animals I like to hunt and place them around the house to remind me to get going. On the workout TV I have a bull elk, bear, turkey and big buck image. When I feel gassed, I look at them and say, "they are over the next hill, keep going!!!"

13-Jan-23
I am doing my normal exercise but I ramp up leading up to a mountain hunt. I’m doing good if at the end of February my weight is where it was at the beginning of October and right now I’m still there.

13-Jan-23
Lol. Working out?? It never stops. It’s a lifestyle. Be bigger and stronger. Always.

13-Jan-23
Yes, after being 7 wks out from a knee replacement it is a priority.

13-Jan-23
Year round. Now, looking down the barrel at 69, I do more reps with lighter weights. Every other day I hike 3-4 miles at 8500-9000'. We have a great workout/yoga room with big windows overlooking the valley where I can work out and listen to rock and roll. My happy place.

13-Jan-23
Walking out of the gym, a guy is walking in and says to me, "what are we doing this for?" I state, "so we can keep doing this."

at 65, you've got to keep moving to keep moving.

13-Jan-23
Working two jobs the last 25 years, I didn't have a lot of motivation to work out too. I retired from one of them last year. At the risk of jinxing myself, I've been doing 1/2 hr x 4-5 days a week on my elliptical machine, plus push-ups and sit-ups. I need to get better with the "ups".

13-Jan-23
TJS, that’s exactly correct. I’m turning 72 in two weeks. I can pretty much hunt like I did as I did 20-30 years ago. I attribute that to exercise over the past almost 40 years.

13-Jan-23
I've been pretty much on the same page as Ken most of my life. Typically wait until May and start ramping up for fall hunts. That said, I've reached a point in my life (will turn 62 this year) where I'm not sure four months of physical prep is enough?

So, three weeks ago I started working out at home. Put together a regimen of push ups, sit ups, squats and twelve dumbbell exercises for every other day. Hit the treadmill on the off days. I'm not a runner...but pace my workouts using the incline and a 40lb backpack. Recently purchased a Crossover Symmetry set for shoulder workouts and will soon be adding those workouts on treadmill days.

Another thing I'm doing is drawing my bow on a daily basis...even when I'm not shooting. Once the weather allows, I'll be biking...which is a normal activity for me over the past 15+ years.

Lost 25lbs last summer and managed to keep most of it off during the holidays...which was a first! So, while I will likely drop a few more pounds, weight loss is not a high priority this year...as it has been most years.

13-Jan-23
Metabolic Conditioning (EMOM/ AMRAP) 3-5 times per week, interval/ steady state cardio and compound lifts for work outs. Been really consistent last month and a half and have shed some pounds already.

I worked with someone on my diet/ nutrition and have been learning there. Pretty amazing once you clean that part up, how you feel. Outside of a small glass of bourbon once a week, Im staying on target and feel satisfied. Not to mention how you can maintain conditioning much better.

I have a ways to go in order to meet some short term and long term goals but I’m committed.

13-Jan-23
I wear over the calf compression socks for almost 2 years now everyday. Think it really helps the older legs.

13-Jan-23
I’m really limited these days by multiple joint injuries + two torn Achilles. First priority is losing my Covid fat. Been fasting regularly and correcting food routine. Jog until Achilles barks, only a mile or so now. But better than nothing. We go to YMCA regularly and I do whatever I can until pain intervenes.

14-Jan-23
Year Round for me.

Just makes it easier to stay in shape than to start over every spring.

192.4 lbs @ 6' 1 tall this morning, winter goal is to stay under 195 and I weight most every early morning.

Good luck, Robb

14-Jan-23
Working out is the easy part for me but the diet is a struggle. I can go for long periods on a very clean diet with just a couple of cheat meals per week but after some big race or event or western hunt, I tend to fall off the wagon for several weeks. It's tough being an American and constantly surrounded by food. A lot of that food is poison for your body and that's the way I try to look at it. The vast majority of all the health ailments our society suffers from can be directly attributed to our horrible food choices. Lack of exercise is a strong contributing factor.

It makes me sad seeing all the fat kids these days and their steady diet of processed carbs, fast food, and energy drinks. This is the REAL pandemic.

14-Jan-23
Headed out for a morning trail run. Ran a trail marathon last weekend on mostly flat ground. Working up to the trail marathon with about 5K elevation. Signed up for two ultra trail marathons this summer. Will start doing some weight training and weighted pack hikes soon. Stick with it, September is coming fast!

14-Jan-23
Midwest, 100%. The most important part.

14-Jan-23
@midwest couldn’t agree more. This country has become an embarrassment and the food here is a joke.

14-Jan-23
wisconsinteacher, great to hear your committed to your fitness. Keep at it and best of luck achieving your goals!

I'm a year round work out guy as well and always have been. I will admit that my routine, diet and goals have changed over the years as I've gotten older (I'm 50).

It does help that my wife is committed to a healthy diet and exercise as well. I have a 16 year old son that's all about adding muscle right now and I was the same way at his age.

Kudos to you all that are living or trying your best to live healthy. Stay safe and keep at it!

14-Jan-23
I worked out with a group this morning, ages ranging from 30-60+. Anyone can get after it, just have to want it.

14-Jan-23
I worked out with a group this morning, ages ranging from 30-60+. Anyone can get after it, just have to want it.

15-Jan-23
I have cut my weekly 'Cheat Meal' out completely and made it a Once a Month Cheat Meal.

A Whopper w/cheese and a Large fry OR a Taco Time- Beef, Bean & Cheese Burrito w/ Large Mexi Fry's.

Once a month now and it has made a big difference on the scale.

NO other fatty boy Fast Food the rest of the month.

Cutting way back on diet Mnt. Dew Soda is another biggy keeping the fat boy down! and under 195.

Good luck, Robb

15-Jan-23
Just turned 58, still very active, still do push ups sit ups etc..but not every night before going to bed like i used to. cut back to twice a week, still try and do 50 or 60, (used to do 75-100) but i been doing construction work all my life, and my elbow joints click now when i do push ups....so my time is limited i'm afraid. My biggest problem is my eating, i eat a lot. Sooner or later my intake will exceed my output, and i'll have to change my eating habits, that's gonna be tough for me, i like to eat, 2nd 3rd and 4th helpings at supper......polished off some cheese and crackers, and 4 hot dogs for a little snack before i went to bed.......sooner or later i'm gonna have to quit doing that.

15-Jan-23
Diet Mt Dew has 0 calories? Not that it’s good for you but has no nutritional value and physically can’t contribute to weight gain directly.

15-Jan-23
Out of everything written here my biggest takeaway was that Nick was 64… I literally said wow out loud.. never realized you were that old Kudos!!

15-Jan-23
Out of everything written here my biggest takeaway was that Nick was 64… I literally said wow out loud.. never realized you were that old Kudos!!

15-Jan-23
I run everyday at least 2 miles, and lift weights but admittedly not enough. Stronger people are harder to kill.

15-Jan-23
I am 67 with Rheumatoid Arthritis. If I do not go to the gym a minimum of 3 times a week ,I could not shoot my bows. When it hit 2 yrs ago ,after a simple meniscus surgery , I could not even pick up a glass of water. Blood work showed my blood inflamation at 14 , should be under 1. I am on below the normal minimum dosage of med , once a week. Have not had a problem since . The workout takes away the achy joints . Shooting my main bow at 63 lbs .

15-Jan-23
Bwhnt, 6 of us are in a little challenge we started Jan. 1. Everyone threw in 100 bucks and you have to run a minimum of 1 mile a day for the entire year and post it on our Snatch Chat group. Winner/s take the pot next Jan 1. Sounds pretty easy but I imagine it will be a real challenge to get it in some days. One of the guys just went through a week with the flu and he was really suffering trying eke out a mile on the dreadmill. lol

15-Jan-23
I been working out since I been 15, been a way of life.

However, since I retired I been able to spend more time now on cardio so I been incorporating more running, biking and rucking.

I even decided to try and train for a 10k and maybe a sprint Triathlon.

One big help has been the purchase of a Garmin 255s music watch. This has really helped me with my training goals and worth the money

15-Jan-23
I want to know more about this "Snatch Chat" you speak of......

15-Jan-23
I work out all year and have for most of my life. I stay in good enough shape for most hunts but do step it up 3 months out if I have a hunt into rugged backcountry planned.

That said when I’m disciplined and work out hard for several months I tend to get bored with the same type of routines (cardio, weights, stretching) and then slip backwards. I attended a seminar at The Sheep Show by Mountain Tough Fitness, liked what I heard from the guys and I’m going to give their App a try. They’ve got several different workout tracks that last about 12 weeks each. Examples of the time periods are post season, spring, preseason and in-season. Each track has a different focus and should help keep things new and establish mini-goals throughout the year. My only concern with their program is many of the exercises are moderate impact which might not work out for those of us with certain conditions but I talked to the owner who offered suggestions on how to work around those conditions. Anyway their App is worth a look and from what I’ve seen it’s more focused on hunting than say a Cameron Hanes extreme workout for prepping for a 200 mile mountain run or things like that which most of us have no interest in..

15-Jan-23
MTNTOUGH is a pretty solid program. I bought a year membership for 40% off. I use it off and on with more weights mixed in or supplemented post workout. Definitely gives you a good sweat and you will feel it depending on the program you run with it.

15-Jan-23
Year-Round-Workouts for me, with "Bob and Tom" in my earbuds!

15-Jan-23
Have a continuous exercise program and a fairly disciplined diet plan.

15-Jan-23
I do something every day. Won’t go to bed unless I have. I’m an advocate for mixing it up as long as you can quantify fitness gains.

Usually alternate between running a 3 mile hilly loop or doing an interval workout on my rowing machine (concept 2). Some days both. I also mix in some kettle bell work and a mild pull up routine that also helps my shoulders and posture.

As soon as the weather turns, I mix in tennis with my college kid (holy hell that’s a workout) and I also get motocross practice 3x a week. Racing is really what drives my fitness desire but it’s helped on the mountain for sure. I have to improve my anaerobic threshold for sure.

My routine isn’t fixed. I change it every week and try to optimize recover with how much strain is ideal for fitness gains.

Last year I put in some really solid efforts trying to get a high country mule deer and fitness wise I felt the best ever (well except the two stretches I had with broken ribs).

I tell ya one thing that has helped get me back on track is managing stress (a little). The last couple years I’ve been hating work life. Getting a handle on it and it’s been helping move the needle.

I am really bad with my diet. That’s on the agenda to address.

15-Jan-23
YZF- that’s why I do crossfit. Never the same workout. It’s always different everyday.

16-Jan-23
Run about 4 days a week and do strength training the other days. Try to do something every day. Running the Chicago marathon this year. Hunting in the mountains is hard, don't make it harder by being out of shape. Since I started running and being active it has made my hunts much more enjoyable. Now if I could just stop drinking bourbon and eating good food...but that's why I work out!

16-Jan-23
Another vote for MountainTough program. Started last May for my WY elk hunt. Liked it so much, I just continued on. It gives me all I can handle and then some.

16-Jan-23
Same here Brotsky, love a good bourbon.

16-Jan-23
For treadmill work do interval training. It makes it not as monotonous as just running the same speed. I think changing workout routines is good and IMO follow the same routine for 12 weeks max, and preferably do 8 week programs just to keep you engaged. Diets are sure to fail, I've witnessed people that I know personally lose over 200 pounds get the skin reduction operation just to gain all the weight back. It really just comes to a lifestyle change in my opinion, thank the Lord I'm not obese. Once you are there it's almost next to impossible to lose and keep the weight off. Check out Robb Wolf 's book Wired to Eat or Dr. Peter Attia. I've observed my father in-law who is now 70 yrs old and in great shape. He snacks lots, but eats healthy, no sweets. But he walks and works out everyday, nothing crazy but he is very very consistent. Consistency wins out everyday. These are things I've observed and experienced that seem to work and I'd listen to Paul!

16-Jan-23
Brotsky, good food and drink are two things that make life worth living, and help balance out the suffering of working out.

Today I'm going to drive 110 miles to the orthopod to look at my shoulder. Carb loading right now for the ordeal, but I've been training for this for....hours... so I'm confident I'll make it! :-)

17-Jan-23
I used to do 12 oz curls, but now that I'm getting older, I've switched to scotch entirely and do 2 oz curls.

I've also switched from working 70 hours a week to 40 hours a week, which makes it possible to work out properly. Exercise, that is.

17-Jan-23
I run hounds yr around they keep me in good enuf shape I guess

17-Jan-23
I love my peloton. Been doing sled workouts from “knees over toes” guy, unreal how much stronger my knees are. Definitely not dedicated enough, need to be better.

17-Jan-23
Okay, the next question. What do you guys do for flexibility? It looks like everyone lifts and runs but what about balance and mobility? That is a huge deficit area for me. I need to get my hamstrings more flexible to help my lower back.

17-Jan-23
I will look into the book Rocky D. I'm really not changing much. I have been working out for the past few years. I do take time off from working out during hunting season because of time.

My biggest hurdle for 2023 is my diet and mobility/flexibility. So far I'm 7 days into "no snacks" and have dropped 3.5 pounds.

17-Jan-23
Turned 38 last year. I used to be able to do any and everything I wanted with minimal prep and “training”. I definitely feel it now when I’m away from the gym for extended amounts of time. I’ve been in the gym continuously for the last 3 months and been eating much cleaner in that time. Amazed how different and better I feel. Tons more energy and mental focus. I agree with Midwest. Our diets and our hand held computers are killing us and our children.

17-Jan-23

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Not as vogue as a gym or CrossFit, but still getting it done.

17-Jan-23
As I mentioned, I work out pretty regularly and sorta watch my diet. But as far as the snacks or good stuff goes I like to enjoy them too. Thinking what the hell, made it this far so may as well enjoy a little. So pouring another glass of Smoking Loon and gonna watch a basketball game.

17-Jan-23
Lace yur boots up Brad. Gotta tell my kid that all the time! Or you just posing with the post hole digger!

17-Jan-23
At my gym they offer a lot of classes however I been drawn to the HIIT classes. I do those 4 days a week (hour each) and lift 2 other days. Friday is my rest day off. Sometimes if I'm feeling it I'll do a back-to-back on Saturdays. Pretty wiped after a double. Closing in on 60 in April. You rest, you rust.

18-Jan-23
I tried a new workout yesterday morning and man am I sore this morning!

The Steam room is basically MT in the early AM and it is pretty dang hot in there.

I did what Jamie Fox calls the Prison workout.

Mainly all upper body with a few squats and burpies thrown in.

Jumping Jacks, push ups, dips, crunches/sit ups ect.

Pouring sweat for sure, sweat shorts and a t-shirt.

Good luck, Robb

18-Jan-23
Day 10 of 75 Hard. Squats and lunges this morning. I'm sore, I'm tired a lot, my runs suck, my lifts suck, everything sucks. lol

Weaning myself off the simple carbs and teaching my body to burn fat again takes time. It's been a grind but I know what's coming. We are so addicted.

18-Jan-23
Perpetually since I was in my early 20s.

18-Jan-23
I gotta get motivated. That’s all I’m going to say. :)

18-Jan-23
You can do it, Rick! I just started on Monday.

08-Feb-23

midwest's embedded Photo
Night run in a snowstorm.
midwest's embedded Photo
Night run in a snowstorm.
Who’s still on the wagon?

Today is day 31 of 75 Hard.

The clean, low carb diet with no cheat meals has been relatively easy. No alcohol has been easy. Drinking a gallon of water daily is a PIA. Constantly peeing.

I’m down exactly 10 pounds and making gains in all my lifts.

Hitting the road after work every day is a real grind. Currently running 5 miles every day after work regardless of weather. Switched it up last Friday and ran before work at -11 degrees just to make it suck more. Ran one evening a couple weeks ago during a good snowstorm on unplowed roads.

Enjoying my reading in the evenings and this whole routine is starting to feel “normal”.

Hope you all are kicking ass as well!

08-Feb-23
I work out like I said. I trout fish with 2 young doctors... they say SLEEP, is an exercise that too many do not complete enough. The body needs good long solid sleep to properly recover.

08-Feb-23
I’m in the gym every single day. Usually training phases (hypertrophy, strength, or power) last 3-4 months before I change. I’ll start implementing a little cardio in July to be ready for elk season; running a couple times a week and 225+ lb sled drags at the gym. Diet stays relatively clean year round. I just finished the carnivore diet for the entire month of January. I can tell you that diet is legit; I have never felt better in my life. Like everything, it takes discipline.

08-Feb-23
No working out for me. Been a farm boy and worked hard my whole life and am in decent shape. My philosophy is that your heart only has so many beats and I don’t care to speed mine up and cost myself an early death. Worked around 3 brothers for years. 2 were alcoholics and smoked the other was a tri athlete. He died of cancer in his forty’s and the other 2 are still alive today in their 70s. To each his own. I’m not running. Biggest live saver is no stress. Enjoy and live long.

08-Feb-23
Other than reducing stress, I think your philosophy may be just a bit flawed.

08-Feb-23
Definitely still after it. Used to be motivated by the tags in my pocket...now, my age is the primary motivator. Added three more workouts to my dumbbell routine (now 15 total)...and some additional weight in February. Hitting the Crossover Symmetry Activation shoulder workouts every other day and planning to soon step up to the Iron Scap workouts. Can't run any more, but utilizing the incline and speed capability on my treadmill to work up a good sweat. Ready to jump on the mountain bike as soon as the weather breaks! Eventually going to lose the war...but trying to win as many battles as I can between now and then.

08-Feb-23
Still at it. Now up to 4 mile runs and then 2-3 mile walks with the pup. Do this two days, then the third day I lift/strength train. Can't wait till warm weather then I replace the running with a 14 mile bike ride. Down to 202 from 209ish. Feels much better. Would love to get to 195 which I was when I graduated from college.

08-Feb-23
I'm 65,just retired in November. When I was working, I walked between 12-15,000 steps a day. I'm trying to stay active, currently walking 8-9,000 steps a day, which is a little over 3 miles. Also trying to cut down on the sugars and fats. I gained about 20 lbs since I quit smoking in 2017. I'd like to lose about 15 lbs. Aside from that, I'm doing some low impact weight lifting ,trying to strengthen the muscles around my shoulders. I had to give up my bow and buy a crossbow about 3 years ago due to shoulder problems. I HATE it! It's NOT the kind of bowhunting I grew up doing! But, there's no way I'm going to give up being in my treestand during my favorite time of year. So I'm hoping to condition my shoulders enough to draw a bow again. Even though it will have to be a lighter draw weight, probably 40-45 lbs.

08-Feb-23
I do HIIT training 4 days a week and on 2 other days I just lift. Friday is my rest day. One thing that has really helped is doing the treadmill in sled mode. Do 10 minutes of that 4X/week at 12 incline and about 12-15 resistance on the belt and you will feel it the next day. My legs are about as strong as they have been in a while. I am much faster climbing hills now and don't get nearly as winded.

08-Feb-23
I'm still going strong. My wife and I did a 23 day challenge through church. My challenge was to cut out snacks. So far I'm on day 36 or 37 and don't miss them. I eat 3 meals a day. I finished a 3 week program on BeachBody and just started a new one Monday!! 4.5 weeks until spring break so we are both working out and watching our diets here!!

Keep it up guys.

08-Feb-23
Great update wisconsinteacher! Congrats and keep after it. It's wonderful that your wife is committed to her fitness as well. Have fun on spring break!

I'm almost a month removed from rotator cuff surgery so my work out routine changed quite a bit! I've finally started a few movement exercises for my repaired shoulder. It's very painful but I know everyday I'm closer to shooting my recurve again.

On the plus side, I was cleared to use the treadmill walking with my sling on 2 weeks ago. I can also use my Total Gym, sling on of course, for everything but my right shoulder/arm. I'm just making the best of it and trying to not get frustrated and do anything I shouldn't and tear those bio anchors out until they are healed in. I see the surgeon again on the 20th and I'm hoping to get the green light to start running again and begin some strength exercises for the shoulder.

Keep after it and enjoy the process and the results!

09-Feb-23
I've kept my Steam Room workout now on Tuesday and Thursday.

I bought a pair 10lb weights to take in with me and just doing with them what I did @ home during the Covid shutdown.

I'm happy I gave it a try.

Good luck, Robb

27-Feb-23
Day 50 of #75Hard!

Lift every day.

Over 200 miles ran. Winter running sucks!

Zero alcohol.

Zero sugar.

Clean, low-carb diet. No bread, no pasta, no deep fried anything.

Gallon of water every day.

Down 16.4 lbs.

It's a frickin grind!

How's everyone else doing?

27-Feb-23
nope.

Edit: not for hunting purposes anyway.

27-Feb-23
That's great midwest, you're almost there and quite a daunting feat from what I hear about the Hard 75. Keep after it!

I saw the surgeon on the 20th for my 6 week post op and was not green lighted for running or strength training exercises yet. Bummed but will just take it at it comes and work on my range of motion everyday. Going back on the operating table because I screwed up my recovery is not a predicament I want to face.

I've been walking a lot on the tread mill and doing leg and core exercises. It's just strange doing everything with one arm while being careful with the other.

There are worse things and everyday is a better day.

Good luck to everyone on your fitness goals!

27-Feb-23
My body's tolerance for exercise has dropped significantly since retiring from the Army. I tend to walk on the treadmill now and do a no-weight chest workout while on the treadmill, during the 5 to 10 minute time period. I eat right and in moderation and have been able to stay lean, but nowhere near as fit as earlier in my life. Good luck to all in staving off the weight and remaining healthy.

28-Feb-23
Still working out and watching my diet...although nothing remotely close to Nick's dedicated effort!.

Not losing weight...actually gained 4-5lbs the past two+ months. Not gaining around the waist mind you...but definitely added some upper body muscle...which had been slowly spiraling down for a few years. Originally planned to add more weight to the workouts again in March...but now feel like I've reached a good point to maintain rather than continue building. The goal was always just to get some strength back...not "bulking up" by any means.

28-Feb-23

2Wild Bill's embedded Photo
2Wild Bill's embedded Photo
Road cycling, calisthenics and some weight training has been fairly easy with the mild winter we are having here. Precipitation and temps below 42 mean a spin on the stationary cycle. Last year, after my quadruple bypass I logged 1200 road miles and I want to better that this year, 50mi. so far. Diet isn't always easy, but staying hydrated is harder still. Monday, Wednesday and Fridays I'm working on staying fit and enjoying the feeling. I love being retired.

28-Feb-23
Retired December 30th. Sat around just not doing much for a couple weeks. Was very tired after 42 years of rotating shift work. Started intermittent fasting & cut out the carbs & sugar. Been outside walking or on the elliptical just about every day. Easing back into the Bowflex too. Down 33# since January 12. Feels pretty good. Hope to draw an elk tag this fall.

28-Feb-23
Kudos to you Nick! Better man than I!

I have had difficulty in recapturing a routine. Started getting on track in February. But a couple of r&r trips have set me back. I know how steep the Idaho mountains are. I will get back to regular cardio and weight training.

28-Feb-23
Keep up the good work Nick.

I worked out for the first time in 2.5 weeks yesterday. I was on a roll then a cold/bronchitis followed by an inflamed ribcage and a round of steroids slowed me down. It was good to work out and feel good yesterday. Hopefully, I'm done being sick for a long time and can keep working and eating better.

25-Mar-23
#75Hard complete!

75 days of:

(2) 45+ min. workouts per day. One had to be outside. 335 winter outdoor miles ran. Lots of lifting and crossfit.

Clean, low-carb diet. No sugar, no cheat meals. I stayed in a calorie deficit dropping an average of 2 lbs. per week.

No Busch Lattes or any other alcohol. :-(

Drink a gallon of water. Extremely annoying.

Read 10+ pages of a non-fiction book. I read "Can't Hurt Me" by David Goggins (great!), "Endure" by Cam Hanes (not so great), and "Born to Run" (excellent).

I'm pretty embarrassed by how much I'd let myself go in 2022. I was still lifting some, still running some, but my diet was crap. I ballooned up to probably my highest weight ever and felt like garbage. This challenge was just what I needed to kickstart my fat ass back into shape.

It was a freakin grind. Being in a calorie deficit and doing 2-a-days every day was grueling! My runs were not enjoyable at all. Legs of cinder blocks every day.

Never again will I let myself fall that far off the wagon. I'm signed up for 5 trail races this season so training will continue, mileage will increase, and diet will stay clean. Or, at least 90% clean. ;-)

Here's to my 65th trip around the sun. Wishing you all good hunting and even better health!

25-Mar-23
Great job Nick!

But I gotta tell ya, you're gonna drink some alcohol when you come and visit my Wyo cabin in a few weeks! ;)

25-Mar-23
Was hitting the gym a few times a week and scouting.now all on hold I had my driving license suspended for 60 days.

25-Mar-23
You got that right, Brad! I'll stay clean the 9 days before so I can hit my 90%...ha!

25-Mar-23
Looking Good, Nick!

I'm still carrying about 4 pounds of "Winter Weight", cut out all sugar and simple carbs, just starting to "feel good" with that diet. Went back to intermittent fasting in the mornings, and shed a couple pounds in the last 2 weeks.

I feel like I have a head start on Spring and Summer this Year, I should be right where I want to be very soon.

25-Mar-23
IMO intermittent fasting is a great way to loose weight. I eat a LOT, I also work out a lot. I never thought I would be able to do fasting but it was not to hard. I also love outdoor bike riding, and have an elliptical at home for winter, watch tv on it to pass time. Also talking to friends on phone makes time fly by. I do free weight a lot. It works great for me. Over the last 5 years I worked out an average of 6 times a week.

25-Mar-23
This evenings workout - 1 free weight -glass of vodka tonic and NCAA basketball.

25-Mar-23
Way to go Nick, great job! Impressive and inspiring!

I see the surgeon on April 3rd for my 12 week rotator cuff follow up. I can now lift my arm over my head and have full passive motion. I'm hoping I'll be released to start strength PT. My therapist has already warned me that my surgeon likes to be very cautious regarding starting strength training too soon. She did lift my spirits by telling me that she has some exercises geared towards me shooting my recurve asap.

Good luck to all and keep after your goals and stay safe!

25-Mar-23
Good news, Jim! Plenty of time to work up to shooting the bow.

26-Mar-23

Shug's embedded Photo
Total knee replacement
Shug's embedded Photo
Total knee replacement
Nick it would take me 2 years to slip into bad shape you let yours get into in 2022… I do plan on getting in better shape though after healing up…

26-Mar-23
Nick, you are an ANIMAL! Congrats on completing your amazing 75 day grind!!!

I began working out a few days after Christmas and have increased duration and intensity since. Drinking more water and eating better than normal. Definitely feeling better than the guy that typically slides into sloth-mode during the winter months. My weight has actually increased 4-5lbs due to the weights...but I have managed to drop a couple notches on the belt.

March was a pretty good month for me from a hunt plan perspective...so now there is even more motivation to keep this going! Plan is to add mountain biking and hit the local lookout towers with a loaded backpack once the weather allows.

26-Mar-23
Never stopped, 3- days in the gym working the free weights and tread mill. The snow is melting to hiking up the hills going to m fly fishing spots

26-Mar-23
Remember when you were in your 20s and could work out without injuring every damn part of your body you worked on?

• Sitka Gear