WV Mountaineer 20-Jan-23
Woods Walker 21-Jan-23
rattling_junkie 21-Jan-23
Cotton 23-Jan-23
South Farm 23-Jan-23
Buffalo1 23-Jan-23
Will tell 23-Jan-23
18-Jan-23
40 years ago (I was 10) I would never have envisioned trail cameras that will send a picture, real time, to a mobile computer everyone carries on their hip. AI right now is probably the equivalent of maybe a low level primate at its current status. That is sort of a guess. And it is going to ramp quickly over the next few years. Confidently it will impact many areas of our lives. It is intriguing how fast ChatGPT is evolving. With wildlife studies looking at using the chips (I forget what they are called) to put on birds for migration tracking through cell phone towers and the amount of data that is going to be out there, my hope is that there are mechanisms put in place to control what AI can influence. Potentially we need another version of the NSA or EPA or whatever that will deal with AI. Technology is wonderful and paradoxically making life more stressful.

19-Jan-23
The last thing anyone needs is another gov't agency to oversee something...

19-Jan-23
Agreed HDE.

BTW I had to read the title and post several times before I understood "artificial intelligence". At first I thought some guy named big Albert "Al" was some new badarse hunter that would kill off all our game LOL.

19-Jan-23
As much as I do not like more regulation, AI is one of those areas which definitely need oversight that can keep up with the field.

It doesn’t worry me so much with regard to hunting, but pretty much everything else. I work in a field where people have been saying “Trust the Algorithm- it’s smarter than we are” for almost 20 years now, and I still maintain that the programs are being written by very smart people with precious little common sense.

One of these days, some program is going to decide that the best thing for the planet is to get rid of the humans… That’s not gonna be pretty.

19-Jan-23
^^^ no. It, like all things unchecked, will self implode.

20-Jan-23
The only reason technology impacts hunting is hunters want to make it easier, and buy all the tech. So yes it will impact hunting, how much? Remains to be seen.

20-Jan-23
Most new ehitetail hunters couldn't kill anything without cell cams. I've still never used or bought one.

20-Jan-23
Have played with gps, satellite photos blah blah, still no substitute for 'boots on the ground' and 'time in the woods'.

20-Jan-23
What's always puzzled me, is if you hate hunting and being in the woods so much that you have to have a computer do your hunting for you (so all you have to do is the shooting...and before long drones will be doing that too so you can park your arse on a chair all day), then why don't you take up a different pastime?

20-Jan-23
I think y’all are worried about the wrong things. Worry more about criminals being turned away from prison by liberal DAs and judges and the stupidity of woke school boards.

20-Jan-23
AI is impressive. I recently retired from software engineering and it's the biggest, fastest growth space I've seen in close to 40 years of writing code.

The main issue is, like all software its no smarter than the people that wrote it, code has assumptions and biases of the coder.

No agency can control it

20-Jan-23
Artificial Intelligence is frightening in its abilities. It is also awe inspiring for how it could advance people. If you are reacting without understanding it you are doing yourself a disservice. And this is very very simple AI that is out there now.

Humans are constantly trying to find ways to make something else do the work for us. Though the less work (beyond a certain point), I would argue, often the less happy a culture or people seems.

The gratification of killing a trophy on your own is uncomparable to just being put in a tree and shooting it. The work is what creates happiness. This is proven by dopamine studies.

20-Jan-23
I don’t worry about that kind of stuff. But, I’m a simple kind of guy too.

Anyways, I’m fed up, stocked up, and loaded heavy for the things most people worry about. It’s the best way I know to relax.

21-Jan-23
A serious question ......if they came up with a way to electronically "mark" a deer (maybe with the trail cam or through feed/bait/whatever), so that when you wanted to kill that deer you could find it with your cell phone, or your armed drone, would that be a no-no? Just wondering what the "limit" is before it's no longer considered hunting?

21-Jan-23
Candor, I couldn't agree more!

23-Jan-23
I hate to say it but most hunters now a days are really missing the true experience of hunting. They are so wrapped up in al the technology available to them they aren’t able experience the peace and satisfaction of simply hunting. No camera or mechanically advantaged bow can make you a “better” hunter. It may help you get bigger or more animals but at the expense of learned skill. Cotton

23-Jan-23
I agree Cotton, but at the same time they don't know what they're missing because technology is all they've ever known. If you try to explain what hunting used to be like they look at you like you're crazy! Someday all us guys that remember the way it used to be will be dead and the new generation hunter will reap what he has sowed...and rightfully so.

23-Jan-23
AI is one of those good/bad things in life. It will eventually affect every phase of human life.

23-Jan-23
I’ll ask Alexa, she’ll tell me the answer.

• Sitka Gear