Basil 21-Jan-23
Basil 21-Jan-23
SBH 21-Jan-23
wyobullshooter 21-Jan-23
Bou'bound 21-Jan-23
HDE 21-Jan-23
20-Jan-23

PECO2's Link
100% agree with Ted. I'll take it a step further and say a first time hunter needs to work their way up, starting with that spike, forkie or gasp, a doe. Putting a 6 year old on a Boone and Crocket buck is sad, very sad, in my opinion. Leave those 200+" deer for the Bowmars.

20-Jan-23
I don't know that I want Ted to be "our" spokesman but, he's spot-on here IMO.

20-Jan-23
I agree with him. I also think hunting in my state would be much better with APR. But I would exempt young hunters.

20-Jan-23
Well, Ted is never at a loss for words…..many, many words, but he usually makes sense. He’s making sense here too. Everyone likes to take a “trophy” of whatever species I guess, but the real trophy to me is the experience and the meat. The antlers, horns, beards, etc. are somewhere down the list. I have no problem with those who crave the big antlers, and I sure love to look at them, but sometimes it gets out of hand, like the “celebrities” and others whose news stories often grace this site when they are caught cheating just to get “The Trophy”.

20-Jan-23
+1 PECO2

20-Jan-23
Leave it to Ted to call it like he sees it and I totally agree with him.

20-Jan-23
Lol, I’m a trophy hunter but no longer worry nor care what others harvest on the public I hunt. Nobody where I hunt now goes through the trouble of barriers-to-entry, only to shoot a dink. In fact, I’ve never seen anyone shoot anything where I go these days. So ya, shoot what you want.

20-Jan-23
Why does it bother people what others shoot? Who cares!

20-Jan-23
My tag, my buck. Agree with everything said.

Never have thought it should be a requirement to have to start off small though.

20-Jan-23
Exactly!

21-Jan-23
I'm not sure I understand some sort of "requirement" to work your way up. Kids should be able to shoot what gives them an opportunity. Having said that, I can see a situation where it could be a problem to shoot a trophy on the 1st hunt/1st kill. Keeping the pressure at bay on subsequent hunts might be tough and ruin hunting for a kid.

21-Jan-23
We should not be shaming others for the size animal they choose to kill. Bubba trophy hunting is ruining the image of sportsman with the non hunting voters. Not with anti hunters, but non hunting voters. I hope you all know the difference.

21-Jan-23
“Why does it bother people what others shoot? Who cares!”

Same reason it bothers people what others use to hunt with and how they do it.

Is because some people think they are the gold standard for how to lead a life.

21-Jan-23
One of our buddies drew his first elk tag in 2017 in a heavily hunted unit in AZ. At that point, he hadn't killed anything with his bow (or gun). Opening afternoon we put him on a waterhole and he said he is shooting the first elk with antlers. Well, about an hour before dark, a 7X8 bull strolls into the waterhole and Bob drilled it. Should he have passed it up because he needs to "work his way up"? We told him to enjoy this moment because he's not going to top this one.

21-Jan-23
Ted was spot on. He does represent us because he’s in the public eye. Does a pretty good job.

21-Jan-23
Is This the same Ted Nugent that has been convicted of poaching and illegal hunting in numerous states?

Yeah, he’s the guy that I want speaking for the hunting community..

21-Jan-23
Let me clarify, daddy doing all the work and putting a 6 year old on a booner is wrong in my opinion, and this is a true example. And of course no one lets a monster bull or buck walk if the opportunity is there. No one takes their kid out and says "little Johnny, you may only shoot a spike." Come on guys.

21-Jan-23
One of the all time stupid concept, and thread.

21-Jan-23
We can go back to politics, or which broadhead?

21-Jan-23
Serrated, lol.

21-Jan-23
I am sorry PECO, I meant no personal disrespect to you. The Ted concept was my intent. I should have worded my thoughts differently.

21-Jan-23
Hey no worries, I check my feelings when I get on any of these forums ;)

21-Jan-23

ahunter76's embedded Photo
ahunter76's embedded Photo
I was never a head gear hunter & remember several times that a Doe was tagged with my one & only tag for either sex. Deer were not in every county as they are now. Now, after many years of success (measuring with a kill) & a wide variety of biggame including lots of Whitetails. These Whitetails being a wide Varity of Bucks (buttons thru 10 points & a whole lotta Does). My longevity bowhunting has allowed me to teach 2 kids, a younger brother & 4 G-kids what little I know of bowhunting. I have always told them, IF you get the chance for a shot, YOU decide. I then add, my 1st was a yearling Doe & it's still my most memorable bowhunt. Now, over the years, as they have managed to take a few they begin to become more selective when it comes to a Buck. With multiple tags these days, they have the opportunity to bag "a Deer" & if they choose, be more selective on a 2nd.. Myself, I stopped taking Does several years ago & put a personal goal on my next Buck, head gear wise (I have become a trophy hunter after 60 years of not) why? I have been blessed with many Whitetails & now I just want to out smart the boss of the woods. I did give my kids, G-kids one rule, do not shoot a Whitetail with spots. Oh, Whitetail is the only critter I have put rules on for myself. Anything else, beware. Maybe 1/3 of the deer I've arrowed in 6 decades +. I have been very blessed. I agree with Teddy on this one.

21-Jan-23
I chose to challenge myself by limiting technology. I never get tired of killing eight point bucks with my osage selfbow and homemade cedars. There are other ways to get thrills than by simply measuring inches for the score. Each hunter has a choice.

21-Jan-23
I wouldn’t begrudge kid the chance at a giant first animal. I’d hate to see a kid miss the joy of that 1st animal no matter what size. I think you will be more appreciative of a very special trophy if you have had to work for them. I remember my 1st deer, an average doe with a bow like it was yesterday. Felt like I was walking on air for weeks. Was hooked for life well before that moment. I think a kid just needs to have success to stoke that fire. Ahunter76 pretty much spot on.

21-Jan-23
Flip side. Good friend of mine rifle shot a giant 8 point whitetail this fall. Was his third deer in his life. His 1st 2 were small forkies. He’s 60 years old and never hunted until a few years ago. His dad died duck hunting when he was a young boy. There was no thrill for him he didn’t even know what he had. He feels bad someone else in the party who had been looking for that big one a lifetime didn’t get it. He feels they would be more deserving. Not sure if I could hunt if I didn’t feel that thrill.

21-Jan-23

21-Jan-23
You post a video of Ted talking about no man telling another man what is right or wrong to kill but then you tell us what’s right and wrong for someone to kill. Lol

21-Jan-23
SBH, that contradiction raised my eyebrows as well.

21-Jan-23
Add me to the confused side of the ledger for that one as well.

21-Jan-23
"...daddy doing all the work and putting a 6 year old on a booner is wrong in my opinion,..."

And a guide/outfitter putting some fat and out of shape rich SOB on a booner isn't?

• Sitka Gear