Swampbuck 24-Jan-23
bigswivle 24-Jan-23
bghunter 24-Jan-23
bigswivle 24-Jan-23
Zbone 24-Jan-23
Shuteye 24-Jan-23
bghunter 24-Jan-23
23-Jan-23
I’ve seen threads on here in the past similar to this and have gotten some great information from them so I thought I’d give it a try. I have an Osceola turkey hunt booked for mid-March south of Orlando to complete my slam and I would like to piggy back a vacation onto the trip for my wife and I. We are planning on heading down a week before the hunt and would like to hear some suggestions of some fun things to see and do in the area other than Disney and the big parks (Sea World, Universal, etc.). We would like to maybe see the coast? We enjoy outdoor activities. Fishing? Good food? Sampling small town bars/restaurants? Music? Anything within about a 2-3 hour drive of Orlando would be fair game. We were excited to check out bike week in Daytona but we’ll be there the week after that. Any suggestions from others than have done it or know the area well would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

23-Jan-23
How far south of Orlando are you going, it’ll give a better idea of which coast to head to

23-Jan-23
Jon,

I sent you a pm. I spend a lot of time in Fl.

23-Jan-23
Go to Cape Canaveral area and see the launches.It happens fequently

23-Jan-23
Book an airboat ride in the Everglades. We went north of the park in the Francis S Taylor WMA.

23-Jan-23
I did a bass fishing airboat trip that was a blast. Cost a small fortune, but was worth it.

23-Jan-23
Sarasota Bradenton area great beaches great seafood and great fishing inshore or offshore depending on the weather and the St Johns River system is pretty cool Good Luck Lewis

23-Jan-23

Altitude Sickness 's Link
If you like car and motorcycle racing history. Great food and music in a family atmosphere. Try the north turn Eat on the ocean while listening to good music.

23-Jan-23
Take your wife to Sanibel Island. One walk and you will see more shells then you will see in a lifetime. Beautiful place to visit

23-Jan-23
Bok tower is a pleasant way to spend a half day 40 miles south of Orlando. Also airboat rides for alligator viewing are in the same area

23-Jan-23
Agree Sanibel is gorgeous...

23-Jan-23
Sanibel suffered damage from Ian. May not be open for tourists

23-Jan-23
Sanibel got destroyed by the hurricane last Oct. I wouldn’t recommend it. My buddy who manages the oldest inn on Sanibel says he can’t imagine when it will return to normal. I’d head to the east coast.

Matt

23-Jan-23
Grey Ghost x2 Santibel got slammed but you have a load of opinions Good luck Lewis

23-Jan-23
Not sure if you will be there during Spring break, but here are a few options

Crystal river/homassa area:

Snorkel with Manatees. Bowfish for fresh and saltwater species. Shark fishing and other saltwater species.Several excellent resturants there too. Nice small town feel.

Rainbow river: snorkel or kayak it. Also great restaurants.

Downtown winter Garden (north end) good restaurants and small town charm. Not a big area, but nice if you happen to be in area.

Tampa Bay: Aquarium, river walk area and Yabor City.

If you feel like tourist stuff Old Town on Friday or Saturday Night for the car cruise. It is not a fancy spot by any means, but if you are into old cars they have some pretty cool ones. Very tourist, but also a lot of locals.

I think Clearwater escaped major damage of the hurricane. Good restaurants and beautiful beach.

24-Jan-23
Agree Sanibel is gorgeous.

Not anymore

24-Jan-23
Hacksaw,

Thanks for the post on Apopka wildlife drive. On one of our trips we will check that one out. I wanted to look at houses up that way anyways.

24-Jan-23
https://www.yahoo.com/news/rebuilding-ian-heres-much-florida-160018596.html

24-Jan-23
I LOVE Key West Havanna Cabanna hotel/pool. I also have had many great fishing trips with "Fired Up" charters out of Cape Canaveral. I always book a full day ocean fishing for 2 people.

24-Jan-23
San Augustine, World Golf Hall of Fame, Cape Canaveral

24-Jan-23
Wekiwa springs state park is a really nice way to spend a day. You can rent kayaks and paddle the river there. Lots of wildlife to see we bought some cheap fishing rods at the walmart and fished with some limited success. If you paddle a short distance just outside the park is a bar restaurant that you can stop at and grab lunch. I highly recommend it. I believe there are many places similar to it I just have only been to Wekiwa

24-Jan-23
Crystal River glass bottom boat ride

24-Jan-23
Florida is a beautiful state. While not a Gator fan, I graduated from the University of Florida in Gainesville 50 years ago. Now there are too many people and too much traffic for this old country boy. I personally would kill my Osceola and head home quick as I could. On the way north I would stop in Fort White and take my family tubing down Ichetucknee Springs. Beautiful.

24-Jan-23
Further north but I checked out the Fred Bear Museum. Bass Fishing Kissimee area with AJs Freelancer charters (I've done 3 trips all great), As stated, the Old Towwn car cruise is cool on fri or saturday (near disney), Crystal River manatees kayak tour, Clearwater Beach is awesome. The pier there after dark has some entertainment. The Hilton next door has outdoor tiki bar on beach. For more "wild" music and nightlife the south end of Clearwater Beach has Shepherds Tiki Bar. In between, and to North and South of pier are all sorts of restaurants, stores, and touristy places for different levels of vacationing. Most all are walkable from anywhere on beach. We enjoy lunch at the upper deck of Crabby Bills overlooking the gulf. There is also a great marina across from the pier that has charter boats lined up with prices n specials displayed. Have a great trip n hope you get your bird.

24-Jan-23
If you can, you can hit French's on the North end of Clearwater beach. It sits right on the gulf. Get a spot outside in the sand and watch the sunset. Also best grouper and best prices for Grouper in clearwater.

Jimmy's Iguana bar is cool, he has several of them one with a roof top next to the Marina. We hit the one on the south end. He is from Wauwatosa in WI and always packer fans and WI people around.

24-Jan-23
Thanks for all the responses! We'll be staying in the Polk City area, about 40 miles southwest from Orlando.

24-Jan-23
You are well within driving range of pretty much most of what was mentioned

Be advised I4 and Hwy 27 can be nightmares.

I would suggest the 429 bypass if you can to get to some locations.

24-Jan-23
Awesome responses!! Thank you to everyone. This site never disappoints whether I draw a OIL tag or take a trip to Florida. I'm going to have to take sometime and go through each of these responses and come up with a plan. Good info on the hurricane damage to look out for. Thank you again and please keep the info coming if there is anymore.

24-Jan-23
Florida sucks. There’s nothing to see here, please move along. Yours truly, The Florida Crackers. Lol

24-Jan-23
Hope you slam out, St Augustine is a really cool historical spot, a bit of a drive. Cape Canaveral , Mosquito lagoon area is nice as well, also St Pete has some nice beaches and there’s always Tarpon Springs sponge docks. Either way you’re driving, good luck and enjoy

24-Jan-23
Thanks for all the responses! We'll be staying in the Polk City area, about 40 miles southwest from Orlando.

Lots of stuff to do within 2-3 hours of there. Pretty much the whole state minus the panhandle and Miami

24-Jan-23
If you are in Winter Haven, stop by Andy's drive in. It is nothing fancy just an old school hamburger drive inn and Ice cream stand that's been there forever. I love those old places.

Heck George Jones even has been there.

24-Jan-23
Heck George Jones even has been there.

He got a DUI on his lawn mower(?can’t remember) in Polk city

24-Jan-23
Hackbow - Is that a Macaque monkey running loose wild in Florida, or inside some kind of enclosure? I know Florida is troubled with invasive species but first I'd heard of wild monkeys...

24-Jan-23
Check out Paradise Air sports, not far from Orlando. See if April is there. She and my son Jim have a climbing wall business and both are pilots. April has Duke, the Bush's bean dog and travels all over the world with him. Either April or Jim can tell you everything you want to see in Florida. April trains dogs and has done dozens of movies. They can also take you on a hang gliding flight. Tell them you know Lex Price.

24-Jan-23
Forgot to mention if you get up to Homasassa. Check out Crumps landing, cool place to sit and have a drink. Then you can see Monkey Island from there too.

• Sitka Gear