Pat Lefemine 01-Feb-23
Bigwoods 01-Feb-23
WV Mountaineer 01-Feb-23
Grunt-N-Gobble 01-Feb-23
Bigwoods 01-Feb-23
BC173 02-Feb-23
Willcz 03-Feb-23
25-Jan-23
Any thoughts on which B-head target is the most durable? Any DIY targets that are worth experimenting with? Thanks!

25-Jan-23
Matrix is pretty stout and has replaceable modules, and will last a very long time, but pricy.

I have a Bulldog also, and they supply lifetime replacement faces ( Customer pays shipping) but this target I use strictly for field points.

Going on 3 years on both currently.

25-Jan-23

Casekiska's embedded Photo
Casekiska's embedded Photo
Here's my broadhead practice bunker...sifted dirt & sand...about 3' high & 7' wide & 4' deep. This is up at my deer camp in south/central WI.

25-Jan-23
Rinehart 18-1 is very good broadhead target.

25-Jan-23
I like the 18-1.

25-Jan-23

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Rinehart targets are tough to beat, as far as a commercial target, IMO. I built one out of closed cell insulation foam board, that works great, but I have problems pulling carbon arrows out of it, unless the shots are from 50 or more yards away. It leaves a residue on the shafts, as well. I’ve tried coating my arrows with a variety of things, but even that doesn’t seem to help. Oddly, I have no problems with full metal jacket shafts (and probably wouldn’t with aluminum shafts, either) I know some others (Cheesehead Mike, etc) have built similar targets. Don’t know if they have run into similar issues as me or not. I used the blue foam board instead of the pink. I don’t know if that would make a difference. Another + on the homemade target is, you can take it apart and rearrange the layers when you get an area that has been shot out.

25-Jan-23

Woods Walker's Link
If you are REALLY cheap, then get some empty gallon jugs and fill them with Great Stuff foam sealant. It will stop broadheads. I hang the bottles from tree limbs and shoot at them. or just leave the jug on the ground. It's also good for repairing 3D targets that have holes in them.

25-Jan-23
Great stuff here guys, thanks for the responses!

25-Jan-23

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
I use the pink foam and shoot FMJ's. I don't get any residue sticking to the FMJ's but did get a little when I shot carbon's. It scraped off relatively easily.

A nice thing about this target is for the cost of one sheet of styro I can replace the shot out areas and restack the layers. I don't mind spending about $22 every year or every other year to maintain the target.

25-Jan-23
I’ve had a lot of the foam ones. If you can find a blemished Block target for around $75, get that. Otherwise the 18-1 is an excellent Broadhead target. Same thing, find a blemished one. Camofire has them all the time on there.

25-Jan-23
Matrix is the best I’ve used followed by Rinehart. Any of the other commercial offerings I’ve tried have been pretty crappy.

25-Jan-23

Fields's embedded Photo
Fields's embedded Photo
Here is mine... 3 of these banded together as tight as I can get them. As i shoot them, they get loose, so I either re-band them or replace if needed. I can get 2-3 years out of a set of 3 if I keep them covered. They can be hard on vanes, if they fly through them often, but for the occasional pass through, if your fletching are well glued, they will survive.

25-Jan-23

GFL's embedded Photo
GFL's embedded Photo
Rhinhart 18:1 by far.

25-Jan-23
GFL, I like the set up on the post, very cool.

25-Jan-23
Matrix is pretty stout and has replaceable modules, and will last a very long time, but pricy.

I have a Bulldog also, and they supply lifetime replacement faces ( Customer pays shipping) but this target I use strictly for field points.

Going on 3 years on both currently.

25-Jan-23
I used to do the foam board thing like t-roy and Cheesehead but if you look in Mike's photo you'll see why I stopped. All those little foam bits that are a major PIA to pick up that get in your lawn, or bush or wherever you've got the target and they will NEVER go away. I recently bough a target I think it is a Rinehart looks like a big red dice.

GFL I love that target on a post. But that looks like a recipe for lost arrows!

25-Jan-23

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Yep I built my own. Easy to replace the foam.

25-Jan-23
18:1. And Forgetaboutit.

25-Jan-23
I just got the sevr 21hd. It is a super dense foam target. I had to lube my field points just to get them out. I am going to try my broadheads shortly on one end of it or just use my shot up block. I use 2 ratchet straps on the block to re-compress it to the point my broadheads stop.

25-Jan-23
SEVR match the rhinehart.. just sayin

25-Jan-23
I have one like Bowboy, and it works great. Another option maybe checking with your local archery club for used vitals from 3d targets. My club sells them pretty cheap.

26-Jan-23
I live in the woods and don't have a manicured lawn. I don't care about a few little foam bits. My targets are off the edge of my yard in the woods and I throw the shot out pieces of styro on the ground behind the target. They stop the occasional pass through.

26-Jan-23
Archery 365 target. Replaceable core. Sizes from 24-48”.

26-Jan-23
I think I have tried all the homemade ones. The pink foam works good, but sure makes a mess on the ground that your wife and neighbors downwind seem to have issues with. I can't get myself to pay what they want for some of those targets, and with BH's they go to hell right away. The best for BH's on a budget is Cases dirt pile (sifted). I also use the parts of old 3d targets as BH test flight targets.

27-Jan-23
I like my morrel yellow jackets bh target . If you have a place to get high density foam you can layer it and make your own

27-Jan-23
I like my morrel yellow jackets bh target . If you have a place to get high density foam you can layer it and make your own 6lb foam

31-Jan-23
Camofire today. $99 for the 18-1. Buy it. Shoot it. Shoot straight.

31-Jan-23
Rhinehart here also but did find a target worth looking at recently. Made up in Brainerd, MN www.365archery.com 14X14X14 Traditional Cube Target. Worth a look

31-Jan-23
Add shipping at CamoFire and it’s not a deal to me.

31-Jan-23
We just used the replacement core for the 365 archery. Worked great for elk/deer camp shooting with broadheads. Can’t really notice the damage from this year, looks like it will take some abuse! Probably not great for season prep and sight in (little small for that) but worked great at camp.

31-Jan-23
I have the 24" 365. Nice target.

31-Jan-23
One of the reasons I like my big homemade target is because I sometimes practice at 100-120 yards. I found that when I shot long range at smaller commercially available targets it induced target panic. I don't have that issue with my big target.

01-Feb-23
that is a hack with camofire. You think you're getting good deal, till you check out and see what they charge for shipping.

ironically, they give you free shipping on black ovis....... Because of this, a lot of times the item is cheaper there.

01-Feb-23
Yep, sometimes when I see things on camofire I go over to black Ovis and buy the same thing for the same price with free shipping. Or I do an internet search and find the same item somewhere else for the same price or cheaper with free shipping.

01-Feb-23
I can't tell you which is the best, but I sure can list off all the ones that suck. Especially when you shoot fixed blade broadheads exclusively during practice.

01-Feb-23
The blobs are good but I don't know if you can find them anymore. I've shot several Rhihehart 18:1's out pretty quickly and won't be buying another.

01-Feb-23
I’ve been shooting an 18:1, with broadheads, field tips, and blunts since 2018. I don’t shoot as often as some. But, I’ve been putting several hundreds of shots a year into that same target. From the looks of it, there is thousands more shots left in it.

I’m not doubting your claim. But, I can’t imagine anyone shooting out an 18:1 fairly quickly. Learn something new every day I reckon.

01-Feb-23
Blobtargets.net

I've got one and it's the best broadhead target I've ever used.

01-Feb-23
I'll definitely be buying another blob. The first 2 lasted about 7 years each and I used to shoot a lot of broadheads.

02-Feb-23
My brother and I bought 3 “blob” targets 20 years ago. All we shoot is broadheads and we are still using them. He was in Georgia at a 3D shoot and picked them up there. Nothin and I mean NOTHING is better.

03-Feb-23
I have used the Rinehart 18 sides for a couple of years. I only shoot about 20 BH's per year in practice but it sure does stop em and it is small enough to store and it takes a beating.

• Sitka Gear