Mathews Inc.
Guided Deer Hunt Needed (minor handicap)
Whitetail Deer
Contributors to this thread:
bigwoodsbucks22 25-Jan-23
RK 25-Jan-23
bigwoodsbucks22 25-Jan-23
Jebediah 25-Jan-23
molsonarcher 25-Jan-23
bluedog 25-Jan-23
KHNC 25-Jan-23
JTreeman 25-Jan-23
FORESTBOWS 25-Jan-23
Hoytman2 25-Jan-23
RK 25-Jan-23
RK 25-Jan-23
RK 25-Jan-23
Hoytman2 25-Jan-23
JohnMC 25-Jan-23
greg simon 25-Jan-23
MA-PAdeerslayer 25-Jan-23
ahunter76 27-Jan-23
goyt 31-Jan-23
SBH 31-Jan-23
drycreek 31-Jan-23
Cheesehead Mike 31-Jan-23
WV Mountaineer 31-Jan-23
Mathewsphone 31-Jan-23
live2hunt88 31-Jan-23
Lewis 31-Jan-23
ahunter76 01-Feb-23
Ward's Outfitters 06-Feb-23
bigwoodsbucks22 07-Feb-23
25-Jan-23
Looking to take my dad on a whitetail hunting trip this upcoming fall. This will could very possibly be his last hunting season without a wheelchair so I need to make something special/cool happen as hes never gone hunting outside of New England. He is only able to walk maybe 100 yards at a time and needs a cane to do that. Thats my biggest hurdle here. I am looking for something where a guide can drop him off at a ground blind every hunt. He is not able to climb into a tree stand. He has shot a lot of really big deer here in the northeast but with his limited mobility now, even seeing a deer here in NH with only being able to walk 100 yards is almost impossible. He went maybe 30 hunts last year without seeing a deer and that really bugged me. I just want him to be able to experience a western hunt where he sees a lot of deer and has a good chance of getting a shot at something decent. He really just wants the whole "experience" of a western hunt more than anything. He sacrificed so much when i was a kid so that he could get me into hunting so now its my turn to return to favor. He doesn't know anything about this so im hoping i can get this sqaured away and surprise him with it. I've never been on a guided whitetail hunt as Im more of the DIY type so this is all very new to me. Can anyone recommend a place that can make this happen for this upcoming season? No clue if this is feasible but I'm looking to spend under $3,000/person. We dont need fancy accommodations. Just a half decent place to stay, a good deer population, and a guide that can drop him off at a ground blind every day. Anything else is just a bonus. Thank you in advance!

25-Jan-23
Will he be using a bow

25-Jan-23
Sorry, i should have put a few more details... Ideally November (or just the rut wherever it is) but i know that may be hard. He can use a crossbow (if legal, he does have a medical card for crossbow) or a rifle or a muzzleloader. I dont think type of weapon would matter to him. We could also drive or fly. I probably wouldnt want to drive much further west than Ohio before i decided to fly.

25-Jan-23
No suggestions but hats off to you. Every old man should have a son like that.

25-Jan-23
With what you describe, and him having already taken multiple big bucks, why not look at antelope?

It would get you plenty of the western experience, easily fit in your budget, and you would have a pretty decent chance of drawing a tag, as well as seeing alot of game. Once done hunting you could always go sightseeing and get your dad the chance to see mulies, elk, moose, etc.

If i was in your shoes, i would be looking to do this exact scenario.

I think you will be hard pressed to find anything close to what you are looking for in a deer hunt for that pricetag. You could possibly get the hunt for that price, but the quality of deer would be highly questionable to non existent in my opinion.

25-Jan-23
molsonarcher X 2

25-Jan-23
call Dave Nelson at www.nelsonoutfitters.com in Wyoming. Tell him your situation and ask about a "Management Whitetail Hunt". They have giant deer there but mgt hunts are less. Your dad will see over 100 deer per day , EASY! Private land in Sheridan Wyoming. Deer in alfalfa fields and creek bottoms. Better call quick or he may already be booked for this season.

25-Jan-23
If it doesn’t have to be “west” I would say your best bet would be a management deer hunt in TX. $3k might be a bit tough, but just a little bit more should be doable. It would most likely be a feeder type hunt, so that may be a deal breaker for you/him.

I don’t have any specific outfitters, but there are lots, but for “good” outfitters this season may be a tough ask too. Good luck with whatever you find.

—Jim

25-Jan-23
I take guys like your Father in Kansas every year. Pm me

25-Jan-23
Anticosti Island.

25-Jan-23

25-Jan-23

25-Jan-23
Well Anticosti island is certainly west of Ireland and the Labrador Sea but I think they are maybe looking several thousand miles a little further west :)

25-Jan-23
Too funny, completely missed the "Out West". was concentrating on seeing lots of deer and accessibility. To the Op, you're a good son, your father should be proud of raising a fine son.

25-Jan-23
I'd reach out to Forest about going to KS.

25-Jan-23
I like molsonarcher's idea about antelope. To add to it, antelope usually present a more target rich environment than whitetails. Whatever you deicide hats off to you for taking care of your dad!!!

25-Jan-23
Great move Dan, I’d hit up Forrest ASAP

27-Jan-23

ahunter76's embedded Photo
ahunter76's embedded Photo
Being old & real bad knees I know what he's dealing with. I feel, since he has taken many Deer I'm with the Antelope idea. In 2010 at age 68 I did my 1st DIY, waterhole, public land (arrowed one the 3rd day after 2 misses) & have been 5 additional times (last in 2019 at age 78 with my adult son). You should be able to find one in that price range. I am considering another this fall at age 81 with my son & a friend. I have bowhunted out West many times (when younger) for Elk & Mule Deer. I did a lot of walking/stalking in those days but you might find a ranch for trespass fees that may have areas/crops where he could stand/blind hunt.. Rifle, Muzzel will be more $$. Wy of course is draw & buying points & little chance with none. N.W. S.Dak you would be able to get Antelope tag so I would start searching S.D. Antelope guides, trespass hunts. Good luck.. Photo is 2019 & my sons 3rd day Buck.

31-Jan-23
PM sent

31-Jan-23
Are you hoping to hunt also? Just a thought here, but what if you don't hunt? You take him on the hunt and sit with him in the blind. That way you get to be together the entire time and your budget will almost double, getting you into a better hunt. It may be more fun to be right by his side when he takes his deer than to get one yourself. Good on you for taking him out, I hope you guys have a grand time!

31-Jan-23
I’m with others on the antelope hunt. I enjoyed those hunts more than any whitetails I ever hunted. Perfectly doable within your parameters from the physical aspects and very close on budget. There are more than a few outfitters in Wyoming that could take care of that, but Nebraska or SD might work too, I’m just not familiar with them. My hat is off to you for taking care of the one who took care of you !

31-Jan-23
Not really a western hunt but you might consider a guided hunt in private land in Missouri. Tags are OTC and crossbows are legal. I have some friends who are associated with Tombstone Outfitters but I don't have any personal experience with them.

31-Jan-23
If he’s stuck on whitetails, go with Forest. Great praises by all his clients and a great guy to boot.

If he wants another critter, Antelope.

31-Jan-23
Forest is a great guy

31-Jan-23
I agree with others. I’d look into an antelope hunt. I took my 83yr old grandpa this year in Wyoming for the exact reasons you stated. He had a blast and shot a real nice antelope. I’d do it all over again in a heartbeat

31-Jan-23
Good Luck in your pursuit hope it works out for y’all Good luck Lewis

01-Feb-23
I'm 81 & Antelope & Hogs are the easiest for me & enjoyable.. My knees are shot & that deters much walking.. I'm thinking about Antelope this year in S.D. (last was 2019 in Wy). We DIY, Public though. Also a off season Hog hunt (they are addicting in off season & very reasonable $$ wise)

06-Feb-23
Mexico coues?

07-Feb-23
You guys have been super helpful. I've been in touch with a few people and have a few leads. Prices vary quite a bit but it seems like we might be able to get close to that $3K mark. I am interested in the antelope idea as well. Thank you all very much for all these ideas and PMs and leads.

• Sitka Gear