Mint 30-Jan-23
APauls 31-Jan-23
Keith 31-Jan-23
26-Jan-23

standswittaknife's Link

26-Jan-23
That guy is crazy!

26-Jan-23
I'd say he got off easy and should have been prosecuted for attempted manslaughter.

26-Jan-23
Had a wingnut neighbor a few years back. Came up to me on my land one time & demanded to know who I was. Told him my name & that I owned this place. I said do you know where you are. He said yeah I hunt all of this as he gestured 360. I told him no one but me has permission on all the neighbors & he should stop. Started to get pics of his skinny white ass on my cameras before they all got smashed. Was really nervous my daughter was going to get hurt like that. Wouldn’t let her in a stand before I checked it out. Shortly after my dog got poisoned. How do you prove any of it? Thank god he moved.

26-Jan-23
I hope he gets it up his butt in jail. He did get off way to easy. Could have killed or seriously injured the other hunter.

26-Jan-23
Don’t think for a second that trespassers wouldn’t do this crap.

All should do each other a favor… wear a harness, use a life line, and check your sticks and stand before climbing,

Copycats suck too.

26-Jan-23
And carry an extra ratchet strap in pack if you're hunting ladder stands. Never know when you'll need it, especially if top strap pops when you get up there.

26-Jan-23
I never check my straps once the stuck of stand is up. Time to start paying attention

26-Jan-23
Had some goober try to file through a locked stand chain. Had another unbolt the stand from the locked chain. Took everything and left the chain up there. Thieves and saboteurs should be flogged.

26-Jan-23
I commented about the possible criminal element in the woods in that "Muzzleloader Shoots Bowhunter in CO" forum.

What this jack ass did was clearly illegal. Hunter harassment is illegal in all 50 states (Thank to the Sportsmans Alliance who wrote most of the language for it).

I know of more than a few hunters who may track him down and make him regret he ever did this.

That said one of my favorite spots 30 years ago was a natural ground blind mixed in between 3 good deer trails. Shot a few deer out of it including my nephew taking his first deer when he was 12. We stacked a few branches now and then to improve it over time. Well since it was on public land eventually someone found it. Put a tree stand in the small pine we used as a back support. Well Mr. numb nuts also left a large doe he shot outside the blind to rot.What kind of dork does that? Was he trying to make a statement or just that bad of a hunter? Never got a chance to have the conversation. Just the experience that yep there are jerks in the woods and some may do stoopid stuff.

26-Jan-23
don't leave stands on public land. no problem.

26-Jan-23
And to think, I graduated from Northern Michigan U and hunted Marquette County for over 10 years. The UP of Michigan is a cool place.

26-Jan-23
I can't believe he got off that easy on the criminal charges. But I bet the victim files a civil suit for damages. That back injury will likely haunt him for years to come.

So he doesn't get thrown out of NMU after almost killing a hunter? But if he was wearing a MAGA hat...? Just sayin'

27-Jan-23
Pat the article I read said he left before he was expelled. Sounded like the school was taking action against him also.

Craig

27-Jan-23
I got lucky.

On one of the farms I hunt, there is a creek runs through and part of the property is across that creek. Since there is only a agricultural easement into that piece, the neighbor treats it as his own hunting spot. I just cross the creek on foot and hunt it.

Climbing into a 20' ladder stand in the dark one morning and got about to the top and the stand came loose from the tree at the top, I was lucky that I didn't go over backwards, scared the crap out of me. When I checked the strap, the ratchet had been shot multiple times. I delivered the strap and ratchet to the game warden, we both knew who did it, and he had a courtesy visit with the neighbor. Never had a problem since.

Like kids tossing things off overpasses at moving cars, I don't think some of these shallow minded individuals take into consideration what harm their actions can cause.

27-Jan-23
That is why I replace the straps with chain and lock them in.

27-Jan-23
That is why I replace the straps with chain and lock them in.

27-Jan-23

Wv hillbilly 's embedded Photo
Cut straps from both stands
Wv hillbilly 's embedded Photo
Cut straps from both stands
Had someone cut the straps on two of my ladder stands this year. It’s a private property that the owner lets me have the run of the hunting rights on. I checked all the stands on the place in September. In October my 70 year old uncle n law started climbing the steps of one of the ladder stands, luckily he noticed it was loose before he made it very far up. He could of been killed if he made it to the top and it fell. When I replaced the straps a few days later I discovered a double ladder stand I hunt out of with my girls sometimes had been cut as well. I have a good guess of who did it but can’t prove anything. GW and sheriff can’t do anything without evidence.

27-Jan-23
WvHillbilly Thats one sharp toothed squirrel!! Glad no one got hurt.

27-Jan-23
When you leave stuff in the woods then what do you expect in this day and age? Especially on PUBLIC land! That's why all I leave are tracks. (And hopefully a gut pile...)

27-Jan-23
In Dennis Dunn's book "Barebow" he mentions a close call he had on a Canada bear hunt. Someone had cut nearly through the tree his stand was in. IIRC Dunn saw a few telltale wood chips the perp hadn't picked up, which prompted him to investigate further.

27-Jan-23
“Steele eventually called 911 to report his missing trail camera.”

Yep I don’t know where I’d be if I didn’t have emergency services available to call every time I lost my keys. Totally logical.

This story is bad in so many ways. Strongly suspect this dude is a psychopath. Worst part is no doubt this kid doesn’t have a pot to piss in so the victim has no way to get any legitimate compensation.

Just another reason I use LW climbers in/out and my tiny boat to go where there are no tools in the woods.

27-Jan-23
standswittaknife, guess you'd better double check your ladder stands this fall! :) :)

27-Jan-23
The DA there needs to have some heat put on his ass for letting this POS off so easy. Michigan hunters should administer the ol' code red on this a-hole.

27-Jan-23
Russ, hmmm.......

28-Jan-23
Mention his Name & address on various sites & make him famous in the hunting world & especially Michigan.

28-Jan-23
This why our country is in the shape it's in. This guy should be charged with attempted murder. A local hunter about 5 yrs ago had the same thing happened. Lucky he caught it before he climbed. My opinion is it's total BS.

28-Jan-23
You can't charge somebody with an offense if the details of the offense don't fit the charge. They don't pull this stuff out of their ear. You have to charge people with what you can prove.

And no this incident isn't why this country is in the shape it's in. Whatever that means.

30-Jan-23
I had it happen to me twice on Long island. Cut my tree stand strap but i always grab the stand and shake it to make sure it is solid. Now days if i'm in an area other people are hunting I use my wedgelock stand and bring it in and out or my saddle.

31-Jan-23
Unfortunately it seems like jackwads are about the only thing you can count on. Also why I went to hanging and hunting even on private permission property where I am the only one with permission. Too many problems. Someone hunting my stand in the wrong wind is among my top fears, so I don't let it be possible.

31-Jan-23
They should take him to the train station.

• Sitka Gear