Ron Niziolek 21-Mar-23
wytex 22-Mar-23
WapitiBob 22-Mar-23
Lost Arra 22-Mar-23
wytex 23-Mar-23
Ron Niziolek 23-Mar-23
wyobullshooter 23-Mar-23
15-Feb-23
Was wondering with unit would be better if you was going to hunt both archery and rifle in units 7 or 45 , with would be the best to put in for . I see both have access problems but 7 lots a little tougher to get to public land in some places ,thanks

15-Feb-23
What Type?

Area 7 has Type 1- Type 4 - Type 6 - Type 7

Area 45 has Type 1 - Type 4 - Type 5

15-Feb-23
Type 1 and buying archery upgrade to be able to hunt both seasons ,thanks

15-Feb-23
Ive archery hunted elk in Oregon for 20 years and know Wyoming is probably a once in a lifetime because of draw at my age , 60 in good shape but takes years to draw those tags ,thanks . Didnt realize i would be competing with atvs as much as I've read ? Thanks

15-Feb-23
Still talk of making 7 a General area but not sure on time frame.

15-Feb-23
So Im guessing you applied and now doing research to modify your app depending on your analysis?

15-Feb-23
Yes, very confusing. Very tough to get info but looks like there’s going to be trouble in seven trying to get access to hunting areas. We are 45 is smaller but more public ground. Thanks.

15-Feb-23
Yes, very confusing. Very tough to get info but looks like there’s going to be trouble in seven trying to get access to hunting areas. We are 45 is smaller but more public ground. Thanks.

15-Feb-23
Google wyoming hunt planner. They provide you with everything you need. Maps, draw odds, public land, public access programs, private landowners, harvest data, hunt dates ect. You should just apply for area 100-1 like everyone else swinging for the fence if you don't have a solid plan

15-Feb-23
Have a pretty solid plan just trying to not go to a place that’s too overcrowded and also be able to have access to as much public land as possible without being trapped into walking around the whole ranch to get access to it

15-Feb-23
Have a pretty solid plan just trying to not go to a place that’s too overcrowded and also be able to have access to as much public land as possible without being trapped into walking around the whole ranch to get access to it

15-Feb-23
Some of those units like 38 the east side of the big horns. If you’re going back there during rifle season and don’t have access to horses you’re going to have a rough time getting in there if the weather is bad, so trying to take everything into consideration.

15-Feb-23
If that's what you want then it's a no brainer 45. You'll be messing with access in 7 biggest problem in 45 is you're locked out of the wilderness as a diy nr.

15-Feb-23
Some of those units like 38 the east side of the big horns. If you’re going back there during rifle season and don’t have access to horses you’re going to have a rough time getting in there if the weather is bad, so trying to take everything into consideration.

15-Feb-23
Because I’m trying to do both archery and going back with a gun if I have to there’s areas that if you don’t have horses like area 38 that you would have problems getting into, so just trying to do all the homework I can and make the best decision, knowing it’s probably a once in a lifetime thing

15-Feb-23
Thanks understand the wellness part. There’s a lot of BLM land in 45 and it looks like people are saying that there’s elk all through that area also even though there’s not a lot of timber thanks

15-Feb-23
Didn’t know if there was anybody that wanted that unit meaning 45 that could give me a little information if possible there’s a lake off of 16 that looks like it has a little Campground would probably try to stay there. Thanks.

15-Feb-23
Have you ever been to these areas?

15-Feb-23
45 not worth the points IMO.

16-Feb-23
Trying to figure this thread out with all the double posts.

For 7, there is plenty of access, you just have to commit to staying mobile, both to find the elk and to beat the rest of the hunters. It’s a huge unit and often requires hunting many locations therein.

16-Feb-23
That's kind of where I was going with my question. Huge territory. Some people who've never put boots in these areas don't understand.

16-Feb-23
2016 I pulled a 45 tag…friend had a 7 tag…I saw a bunch of average bulls and came back empty…buddy found multiple dandy’s and came home with a 350”er. Both hunts were unguided, public DIYs. I’d say 7.

17-Feb-23
7 isn’t what it use to be for sure. Have hunted it several times. If I had the points to draw 7, I think there are other units that check the boxes and have as good of potential if not better. The number of tags given for 7 is a major draw back to the unit. 2 years ago there were archery hunters parked in every wide spot in the road, compounding the access issue. Thus being mobile is important. With it (likely) going to a general unit next year, it no longer will be a premium hunt in my opinion

20-Feb-23
Bugleor - How many points do you have? Do you even have enough points or are you "hoping" to draw the tag in the random drawing?

20-Feb-23
I have 10 with was probably good years ago but probably not now

20-Feb-23
With 10 PP’s your only hope is in the random draw.

20-Feb-23
yes did see that on new hunt planner thanks

20-Feb-23
7 sucks I blew points on it

21-Feb-23
Sorry to hear seems like to many areas have to much pressure

17-Mar-23

cnelk's Link
Hey 'bugleor'

Might want to take a look at the Wyo Updated Draft Regs for Area 45. looks like they got rid of the Special Archery for that area - see link

17-Mar-23
^^^as they should for all the areas with a type 9 option. .

17-Mar-23
Isn’t the type 9 the special tag for area 45? It’s still listed.

17-Mar-23
Yes, but type 1, 4, and 5 tag holders could archery hunt starting 9/15. Now type 9 tag holders get the entire month.

17-Mar-23
Gotcha.

17-Mar-23
^^^ Exactly. That’s what the OP wanted to do

17-Mar-23
SSSHHH!

17-Mar-23
Yeah thanks a lot, not. Just yesterday I said to my buddy hope the www doesn’t explode with the 45 info. No secrets with the internet.

17-Mar-23
Yeah thanks a lot, not.

17-Mar-23
Is 45 a good hunt? Me and the other 5000 NR with alot of points would like to know?!

17-Mar-23
I don’t think it is. Better elk numbers in Colorado. Lol

17-Mar-23

17-Mar-23
Area 7 will not be a general area. I just got a letter from Fish /Game

17-Mar-23
I wish they would make type 9 the ONLY archery option in ALL areas that have a type 9. Its a damn joke when the GEN hunters converge on the T9 tag areas on the 15th. Type 9 is a complete waste of points when it takes more that a GEN tag takes to draw.

18-Mar-23
Sorry but we do not want choose your weapon in Wyoming so we'll keep our archery and rifle seasons when we can. They should do away with all the Type 9s.

18-Mar-23
Wytex, there are plenty of us that believe every elk area in the state should have type 9’s. I believe game and fish favors your opinion.

18-Mar-23
Ron, agree 1000%!

18-Mar-23
Ron +2

19-Mar-23
I drew 45 Type 1 in ‘18 and they tried to make this change after results were out. Quite a few of us with 41 and 45 tags raised a stink and they delayed it until now I guess. In my case I knew I wouldn’t get there until the middle of the month and having the option to go back in October and bow hunt if necessary sounded like a reasonable attack vs the September-only option. Obviously that’s probably not the plan for most Type 1’ers. Anyway, don’t really have a dog in the fight these days. Glad the rules weren’t actually changed in the middle of the game that year and it worked out with a nice bull on day four of my September hunt.

19-Mar-23
Sorry but we do not want choose your weapon in Wyoming so we'll keep our archery and rifle seasons when we can. They should do away with all the Type 9s. Pretty strong statement right there... Have U or Ur husband ever drawn a type 9 tag asking for a friend...

19-Mar-23
Count be in for all Wyoming LQ areas should have type 9 options available... Especially when 90/10 or 90/5/5 come into play...

19-Mar-23
Wyoming shouldn't make type 9 tags available unless it makes biological sense. There is already a type 1 tag with a archery season. Archery hunters are starting to sound like democrats wanting handouts.

19-Mar-23
Totally agree with Ron.

19-Mar-23
Yes hotrod we have and would rather have archery and rifle access. I would agree with Type 9 if there was still access for archery for Type 1 for half of Sept. The Type 9 we hunted had just as much pressure as rifle season.

Archery hunting is something I've enjoyed for 36 years or so, having to choose rifle over archery at this point means I have to weight getting a good chance at meat in the freezer or not. Yes, I can get cow tags but why have to give up a Fall of taking my longbow in the field after a bull because some want us to choose one weapon over another. I hunt for the meat these days, yes antlers are nice so I want a chance at a bull too but if I have to choose between rifle only or bow then the best option to fill my tag will take precedent. I just think we should be encouraging archers, not making them choose rifle or bow.

My apologies for making the claim "we " do not want choose your weapon in Wyoming. Obviously some favor that, just not the folks I know or myself. And as you push for more Type 9 licenses , I will voice my opinion against them. That is what I like about Wyoming, we all actually have some say and certainly we have differences of opinion.

20-Mar-23
No difference in opinion at all I would not want to see type 9 only in the month of September for archery.. Would still like to see the type 1 tag holders be able to hunt starting the 15th... So I would like to have a option of choosing archery or rifle witch I have done twice now and its the only two tags I have drawn...

20-Mar-23
“Wyoming shouldn't make type 9 tags available unless it makes biological sense. There is already a type 1 tag with a archery season. Archery hunters are starting to sound like democrats wanting handouts.”

Wow dude, you’re right on top of it. It does make much more “biological sense” to have a larger number of Type 1 license holders running around with bows during archery season rather than a limited number of Type 9 bowhunters. Oh by the way, you do realize there’s an unlimited number of resident Type 1 license holders in general areas. Gotta love the internet.

20-Mar-23
Making folks choose their weapon ill not help with archery hunter recruitment, we are loosing archers every year and not gaining that many more as Residents. We need to encourage archery not limit it. If NR's want more Type 9 tags out of their quotas, no skin off residents backs that way.

20-Mar-23
Wytex- do you have stats showing less archery hunters? I’m curious because I have hunted Wyoming many times as both a resident and NR and every year the archery hunters have increased exponentially. Where I used to have much of the archery season to myself, this last time, there were bow hunters parked on every wide spot in the road.

20-Mar-23
"we are loosing archers every year "

I wondered about that too. Rarely, if ever, hear that in any state. I'd bet there are more type 1 and Gen tag holders buying the archery stamp and hunting 2 weapons than ever before.

20-Mar-23
“ we are loosing archers every year and not gaining that many more as Residents.”

That may be the case in some areas of the country, but that darn sure isn’t the case in Wyoming! Spend any part of September at all in a general area and it has become an absolute zoo. Look at the turnouts for both indoor and outdoor 3D shoots, including youth and young adults. You’re certainly entitled to have your opinion, but saying we’re losing archers simply isn’t true.

20-Mar-23
A zoo in Gen areas of Wyoming.... now thats funny lol

A Gen area in Wyo is like a 5 PP unit in Colorado. Want to have a zoo experience? OTC in Colorado. Come one. Come all.

20-Mar-23
You have to keep it in perspective Brad. It may not be a complete free-for-all like Colorado, since nonresident numbers are capped, but compared to years past, it is a zoo…especially those general areas in the Snowies and Madres. Point being, the numbers of those hunting with bows these days certainly have not decreased, they’ve increased substantially and continue to grow every year.

20-Mar-23
It makes zero "biological" sense to have any bowhunters at all. Rifles do the vast majority of harvesting.

20-Mar-23
WYTEX "Sorry but we do not want choose your weapon in Wyoming so we'll keep our archery and rifle seasons when we can. They should do away with all the Type 9s."

Not everyone in WY feels the same as you. I hope all the areas with type 9 do away with they others being able to archery hunt also.

20-Mar-23
Wytex, I am in no way speaking for Bowhunters of Wyoming as I haven’t been a board member for some time, but when I was on the board we made no demands at all that type 1 license holders couldn’t bowhunt as well for a couple weeks in September.

What we did stress is that type 9’s are a way for the Game and Fish to increase license revenue, allow for more opportunity in the field and biologically be a wash.

I stressed that the game and fish could start with a very minimal number of type nine licenses in all elk areas of the state. This is just an example but I’m fairly certain what our proposal said was more conservative. Say an area offered 50 type 1 licenses, what we proposed was to decrease that number to 45, but then offer 10 type 9 archery licenses. That’s an increase in license revenue and overall, most likely less elk taken.

After two or three years, it could be revisited and adjusted as necessary. Type 1 license holders could still hunt for a couple weeks in September.

I also told Game and fish that I’m fairly certain it would actually make both type 1 and type 9 licenses easier to draw. I believe that as fact even more now. Many of the current applicants for the type 1’s would switch over to the type 9 apps as that is the only way they hunt.

Game and Fish are liars. The local ones say that the decision for no additional type 9’s comes from the top, and the director himself said those decisions are made locally. Go figure!

What i still don’t understand is why in this financial climate, they would not try this instead of screwing the nonresidents so badly.

Fact is, in many elk areas, the type 9 licenses are significantly harder to draw and when studied in aggregate of all the areas, there is barely a statistical difference.

Sorry for this long post, but I wanted all interested parties to have all or most of the information. If there’s any Wyoming Game and Fish employees reading this, what the hell is wrong with at least trying my recommendation from the past?

20-Mar-23
Ron - it’s been my experience that any govt entity won’t consider any changes unless someone within the organization (with several framed pedigrees on their office wall) thought of it first.

20-Mar-23
Ron has o lot more interaction with Wy game and fish than most and especially me. He’s also represented BOW from a lot of board positions. My take is the old guard at G n F did not like increased opportunities for Bowhunters and I heard that from a source I considered reliable. Doesn’t make sense to me that we don’t have type 9 licenses for all areas and species. The result of what we have now is to concentrate pressure in the bighorns and if grizzlies weren’t so prevalent in the nw units they’d also overload. This is mainly resident issues And the problems for nonresident is probably just a result of to many potential hunters for the quality resource.

20-Mar-23
I think Wytex has it right the majority of Wyoming hunter's don't want choose your weapon tags. Often bowsiters forget bowhunters are a minority not the majority. This very discussion is going on right now on hunttalk.com and by the comments I'd say the majority of Wyoming hunter's are not for it. I'm pretty sure WYGF looks south and tries it's hardest to do the opposite at all time a wise plan.

20-Mar-23
Push, you are correct. For the most part, those of us that frequent Bowsite are pretty passionate about bowhunting. We are definitely a minority. We’re well aware the majority of bowhunters in Wyoming are basically rifle hunters that look at archery season as a way to spend more time in the woods scouting for rifle season. If they get lucky and kill an elk during archery season, they look at it as a bonus.

20-Mar-23
The odds are better to draw a rifle tag than a bow only tag for elk in unit 38. Those odds don’t support the argument that Wyoming hunters want to do both. Some do but looks like a lot choose bow

21-Mar-23
For what it is worth...when I elk hunted 39 on a Type 9 license, I ran into a couple locals also elk hunting on Type 9 licenses. They both mentioned Type 1 licenses being easier to draw...but they chose the Type 9 hunt, not because they preferred bowhunting over rifle, but because they said it is common in the Bighorns to have weather generated road closures during October.

21-Mar-23
Sorry but I won't say WG&F are liars, I know many great folks that work for them and that statement sticks in my craw, especially from someone at BOW. Sorry Ron but I don't think most residents wants ,ore Type 9 tags. Must just be in your part of the state. WG&F does not need more revenue. Good thing our meeting is this week, views will get shared on more Type 9 tags . Glad I know a commissioner.

21-Mar-23
Wytex, I agree, there are plenty of good people working for Game and Fish. However after several years of being jerked around, I have no doubt that I was directly lied to. This was with a former director. I also stated I was not representing BOW.

22-Mar-23
I have no issue with limited NRs to choose their weapon but again I'll state most residents are not in favor of this for us. For the past year or so residents have been lobbying for more licenses and access, you think they want to now limit their hunting by choosing a weapon and not getting access to rifle and archery seasons, I don't think that will fly in this climate of Rs against NRs.

I think the crowding most talk about and numbers of archery hunters these days in General areas are due to increased number of NR archery hunting. Most draw a general tag, look at the seasons and guess what they want to hunt the rut so they come out for their 1 trip to hunt elk to archery hunt. Make NRs choose their weapon to address pressure.

I would like to see the number son how many Resident archery licenses they sell very year compared to NR archery licenses. I'm willing to bet the NR number has risen more than the Resident number of licenses, by a large margin.

One person lying to you is not the G&F are liars, maybe dial that back a bit before posting it next time, Ron. Yes, I know not all are honest to us, however wide ranging comments like that don't set well with me is all, sorry if I came off as attacking you personally.

Most snow is falling, animals can't catch a break it seems.

22-Mar-23
There aren't enough nr in WY to create pressure.

22-Mar-23
An out of state tag on a truck parked at a trailhead can be considered pressure.

23-Mar-23
Interesting take by some NRs ^^^. WB you are awesome at getting info from WG&F, get them to tell you how many NRs elk hunters hunt in General areas in archery season. Should be available info from their surveys every year.

I'm talking about actual hunters in the field not trucks parked at a trailhead. Residents might have a diff take on pressure than NRs. Make NRs choose their weapon, limit General licenses via Region tags for NRs. NRs seems to be against choose your weapon, wonder why?

23-Mar-23
All good wytex, nothing wrong with differing opinions. FYI, It was the former director, several heads of districts and a few others. I previously painted with too broad of a brush and that wasn’t fair to the other employees.

23-Mar-23
“NRs seems to be against choose your weapon, wonder why?”

I would assume for the same reason you are. As far as NR pressure in general areas, they certainly add to the pressure. However, I won’t speak for all general areas,but as far as the general areas in the Snowies and Madres go, their impact is minimal compared to residents.

• Sitka Gear