Quinn @work 08-Mar-23
PushCoArcher 08-Mar-23
BowmanMD 08-Mar-23
butcherboy 08-Mar-23
BowmanMD 10-Mar-23
HDE 10-Mar-23
Danbow 18-Mar-23
03-Mar-23
I plan on applying for a tag and was curious if anybody had any recommendations for which outfitter to apply with? I have seen USO referenced before, but no other outfitter.

Thanks

03-Mar-23
I like your confidence. Best of luck....somebody's gotta draw it!

03-Mar-23
can you go to Vegas and put a couple of dollars down for me? :)

03-Mar-23
It’s only the hardest tag in the state to draw… but confidence kills! Lol

04-Mar-23
Uso r a bunch of crooks. Have been fined for many guide offences. Can't believe they can still operate.

04-Mar-23
Sounds like the OP wants to apply via the outfitter pool...not being overconfident about actually drawing the tag. Unfortunately, I can be of no assistance.

04-Mar-23
I drew a rifle tag there in 2020. I went DIY. USO killed a giant. I think 505 was in there as well. It's not a tough unit to DIY.

04-Mar-23
pav is correct. Can the OP contact NMDGF and get a list of the outfitters licensed for that unit?

04-Mar-23
Yeah I am wanting to apply to the outfitter pool.

What stuff has USO done?

06-Mar-23
USO. They/George Taulman sued several western states. As I remember, the jist was an attempt to get more tags (mainly outfitters set asides)

I don’t remember the details. But Google will tell you. In a nutshell, they went up against states and lost. But their motives were viewed as self serving and many folks never forgot.

Additionally they were known for flying planes during hunts. Units with primo tags. Nothing wrong if done within the law, but some hunters had negative experiences while in the field.

06-Mar-23
Just remembered another one I talked to in there was H and A.

06-Mar-23
USO is the Wadoyle Lemon-back of NM...

07-Mar-23
I hope you draw the tag. Especially since I applied for a different unit. :)

07-Mar-23
So USO and H and A are the main guides from what I gather?

07-Mar-23
You might reach out to JFW Ranch Consulting. Jim is a great guy.

07-Mar-23
Kiowa Hunting Services is also permitted up there. I've never hunted with them specifically, but have had great interactions with some of their guides. As others mentioned, I would be leery of USO.

08-Mar-23
USO does have a bad rap but when my son drew that unit everyone said to go with Robert Ortega (who happens also to guide for USO). I was VERY skeptical, but after talking to Robert and checking out references, decided to go with Robert. Best choice I ever made. Totally honest, straight-shooter, good guy. And I honestly don't think anyone knows or has hunted the Valle Vidal more than him. Maybe there's a few guys, but he knows that unit front and back and knows where to hunt the elk. We had a great hunt with my son and he shot a broken up 300" bull on the 2nd to last day. My younger son drew the tag this last year and we went with Robert again. Great experience. My son missed a 340ish bull opening morning and then shot a beautiful symmetrical small frame 6x 6 later that day (his choice, not mine). I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with Robert again.

08-Mar-23

BowmanMD's embedded Photo

08-Mar-23

Right in the middle of the Valle Vidal. Pretty cool.

08-Mar-23
Congrats to your boys! They are very lucky. 1 to draw that tag and 2 to have you for a Dad to get them out there.

08-Mar-23
Amen Quinn! You looking to adopt BowmanMD?

08-Mar-23
Chances of drawing that same tag twice in the same family is pretty slim. After my first experience there, I thought I would never be back, so I was super excited and shocked when my youngest son drew. Such an amazing place! I wish every elk Hunter could have a chance to hunt a place like that once in their lifetime. It was like Disneyland for elk hunters!

08-Mar-23
I certainly enjoyed my hunt there. I had the second archery hunt and it was the best hunt I’ve ever had. Just wish it wasn’t an OIL tag.

10-Mar-23
Chances of drawing that same tag twice in the same family is pretty slim. After my first experience there, I thought I would never be back, so I was super excited and shocked when my youngest son drew. Such an amazing place! I wish every elk Hunter could have a chance to hunt a place like that once in their lifetime. It was like Disneyland for elk hunters!

10-Mar-23
^^^ I know some people that have done that except 3 times instead of twice.

18-Mar-23

• Sitka Gear