Jaquomo 21-Mar-23
70lbDraw 22-Mar-23
fuzzy 22-Mar-23
Jaquomo 22-Mar-23
Jaquomo 22-Mar-23
06-Mar-23

'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
Feet upon feet of snow in the Sierra’s….Good! Warmer atmospheric river headed toward CA…Not so good! No wonder Newsom is no where to be found! LMAO

06-Mar-23
Record snow in the sierras….especially in the southern section. Do people really think its not going to change much from year to year?

Maybe we can use this thread to get an update on weather in your area… Alaska, Kodiak, Rockies, midwest…..

06-Mar-23
What happen to global warming

06-Mar-23
Average rainfall in Ventura CA is 13 inches. We have had over 40 inches in our foothills. They should be building resevoirs not trains to nowhere..

06-Mar-23
I'm praying for those trapped in their homes with 10 ft of snow... here in WNY we have had 7 ft storms in recent yrs from Lake Erie.

06-Mar-23
Skull, it's no longer called Global Warming - it's Climate change now. The narrative no longer fit. Gotta keep up.

06-Mar-23
^yep Pat :) I do feel for those dealing with multiple feet of snow. Living in the mountainous areas of the South a 2 or 3 foot snowfall is so rare that most people are not prepared, with disastrous consequences when it comes. This year Feb/March is much like that of 2003. Wild swings in Temps alternationg between spring like sunny and 60 and low30s with rain, and freezing rain, high winds.

06-Mar-23
As much as I despise the politics of Cali, hopefully people stay safe out there. Kind of a double edged sword. Getting a bunch of much needed moisture out there, but causing some major problems at the same time.

06-Mar-23
Is the unseasonably cold weather keeping you inside and on the keyboard more often azelkhntr?

06-Mar-23
EmptyFreezer, that makes to much sense….Lol

07-Mar-23

spike buck's embedded Photo
Last year
spike buck's embedded Photo
Last year
Been warmer here than normal W. Ontario, with about 14 inches of snow on the ground. Last year we had what Cali had. Going from floods last year to drought this year.

07-Mar-23
There's been snow on the hills east of San Jose for more than 2 weeks straight. The longest stretch in the past 25 years that I remember was 3 days. It is a different year alright.

07-Mar-23
I do believe that this spring and early summer is going to be quite interesting. With all that snow, the incoming rain in the spring. Plus with the wildfires of last year. They could be looking at major flooding and mud slides.

07-Mar-23
Everything has a cycle. Including weather.

I hope this doesn’t hurt too many people. And, I suspect it’s going to present variables a lot of folks there haven’t seen in a while. Hopefully, it benefits more than it detracts from those affected.

07-Mar-23
There was a time when deer and elk were plentiful. Everyone bagged at least one every season, and they didn’t have to apply for a limited number of tags just to hunt. If those olden day wildlife numbers were to return, would you guys think the world is ending??

Just because left wing media calls them “deadly storms”, it doesn’t make them worse. Some of you boys better hurry up and buy your Tesla, and move closer to the equator. At the very least you’ll be able to say you were part of the solution to save the world! Lol!

07-Mar-23
This happened back in 1977 as well, Shasta Lake was at it's lowest recorded level, and the "Chicken Little" crowd was losing their minds.

That winter, and Spring of 1978...record rainfall and snowfall, the Lake was full again in one Season. History repeats itself, cycles around nicely! I will be happy to see all the little springs and reservoirs filled up this Summer.

More snowfall last night up here in NorCal, haven't seen my lawn in 3 weeks!

07-Mar-23

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
elkmtngear's embedded Photo
A lot of shoveling, and tractoring in the last couple weeks...

07-Mar-23
MN is going to have a top ten year for snow. It is already 13th most all time and we are getting another 6" middle of the week, more in southern MN.

07-Mar-23
Here in central Mass. we've had little snow, some rain, but a couple days of record cold. Last crazy heavy snow winter was 2013-'14.

07-Mar-23
I'm in NE Pa and I used my snowblower for the first time last week! Warmer than average winter with very little snow. Worst ice-fishing season I can remember. Had 2 VERY cold snaps that only lasted 2-3 days................................

07-Mar-23
I miss the good old days when we got exactly the average temps, rain, snow, etc. Never any floods, droughts or disasters of any kind.

07-Mar-23
^ Don't worry. It will get back there. All it will take is for us peasants to go green. All the while the people telling us to drive our Tesla around are flying around in their private jets.

07-Mar-23
It’s a ‘Climate crisis’….Per our government, Lol….

07-Mar-23
Ike, every government needs a crisis. They can't justify their over reaches without one .

19-Mar-23

Dikndirt's embedded Photo
Dikndirt's embedded Photo
Record snowfall in Utah is starting to take its toll on deer and elk. This nice bull went down for good today and the guy who posted pic on FB said he saw over 200 dead deer from the road. Yes we needed the moisture but it has come with a cost.

19-Mar-23
Dikndirt, not seeing any snow there? Maybe the bull just died?

19-Mar-23
This bull was with several others that appear to be fairing much better, I think elk will survive with light winter kill. Lots of Southern slopes finally opening up. Deer are not going to fare as well, especially in Northern part of the state where winter range is limited.

20-Mar-23
Didn't they say Cali was short of water? Mother Nature has a way of working things out.

20-Mar-23
Didn't they say Cali was short of water? Mother Nature has a way of working things out.

20-Mar-23
I cancelled my trip for this week down in central Utah because of this storm for the full week.

Flash flooding in late March is crazy and roads getting washed out.

I can't see putting myself in that type of possible situation when I know it in advance.

Bummer for me,

Robb

20-Mar-23
It will all pass

20-Mar-23
Just think if they had cell phones and the social media in the 1800’s and early 1900’s that we have now. Would it have been any different than it is now? Look out, the sky is falling!!!

20-Mar-23

No Mercy's embedded Photo
No Mercy's embedded Photo
Near record snowfalls across much of ND. Heading into the 6th straight month of this crap. I don't ever remember the interstates being closed this many times in a single season. Pic from somewhere in ND being circulated around the web from last week.

20-Mar-23
Rule of thumb is to get small grain in by mothers day and corn in by June-1. Soybeans can be seeded last. Lots of guys going to no-till seeding over the last decade or so.

20-Mar-23
Timex - good thing you are not much into graphs. Using a graph that shows weather through only 2018 to even discuss conditions in 2023 is not likely to be very convincing... Bill

20-Mar-23
More rain and wind to come starting tonight in CA.

I’ve lived in the same area for ~30 years. The most consecutive days I can remember seeing snow on the hills surrounding San Jose was 3-4. This year it was 15.

This year is…a little different.

21-Mar-23

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Guess I need to post this again, since timex missed it the first time..

21-Mar-23
“Timex, that’s cool but it doesn’t make a lot of sense to consider your 62 years as a definitive period of time in comparison to a timeline of a thousand years.”

The term “cyclical” will explain a lot if you consider the potential logistics involved over the time that life started on earth. Even if you believe it to be ~ 6000 years old.

21-Mar-23
“yes absolutely an ice age killed the dinosaurs......”

It happened too quickly to have been an ice age. Studies show it was a one time catastrophic event. Most likely a big space rock. Potentially the same type of event that floated Noah’s Ark.

21-Mar-23
I'm not sure what's funnier on this thread the guys arguing about climate change or the fact that people believe the earth is only a few thousand years old.

21-Mar-23
Orion, it does make a fella shake his head some.

21-Mar-23
You need to move West. Our winters are getting colder and longer. Does that mean a major "global cooling" crisis is upon us?

21-Mar-23
No Marlin or tuna, but 10 different species of big game within easy driving distance, and four different species of trout within walking distance.

What is the norm in the West now is unimaginable growth in population, developers buying up farms and drying them up for the water rights, more golf courses and bluegrass lawns, and more water being taken out of the rivers and aquifers than the snowpacks can recharge. There are regional droughts, just as there always have been, and regional snowpacks with more than normal, just as always. But the water supply was never able to support the tens of millions of transplants moving here with their hunger for water. Colorado never had enough water to support 10 million people, no matter how big the snowpacks.

The reservoirs around my Fort Collins home are about to be dried up by a city 60 miles away who bought up all the farm water rights around us and are preparing to build a major pipeline to Denver to support another million or so "climate refugees" moving there. Water rights are worth more than land, now.

That is the new "normal".

22-Mar-23
“That doesn't make me wrong for talking about the changes I've witnessed in my lifetime”

You’re obviously not, “the sky is falling” type. The big picture is so dynamic it’s hard to wrap your head around it. If you look at old platte maps you’ll see that many rivers in the world have changed their flow patterns over time. I would think that years of heavy rain coupled with years of drought contributed greatly to that over thousands of years.

22-Mar-23
70lbdraw you're very right. Most stream valleys in my part of Virginia show clear evidence of once having ten times or more current flow. Creeks which are wadable in all but major flood events flow in small channels inside old riverbeds. I've identified lake sediment on dry ridges and native campsites near long gone springs. One mountain valley near me was described as marshland by early explorer's in the 1750s and now is farmed in corn and hay crops. Old spring boxes are on dry hillsides, and at least one grist mill sits along a dry valley.

22-Mar-23
The average person can fish Blue Ribbon trout water with trophy sized rainbows and browns, or lakes with lake trout up to 40 lbs, every day of the year, for the cost of a cheap fishing license. There are no fishing seasons and the classic tailwater rivers stay open all year round, even during these long, cold winters. There are 9000 miles of streams and 2000 lakes. We also have all of the warmwater species, in public lakes. And 8.3 million acres of public land to hunt.

A resident can hunt mule deer, whitetail deer, two elk, bears, lions, and pronghorns every year. My hunting partner drew two cow moose tags in four years. Sheep and goats can be drawn with 3+1 points.

22-Mar-23
Remember our other thread about the difficulty in drawing tags as our biggest challenge? Throw another 30,000 crossbow hunters (former rifle hunters) into the archery tag pool, and we won't be bowhunting those species every year....

Also, a HUGE amount of those 8 million public land acres are inaccessible to hunters because the USFS is closing hundreds of access roads,, and due to their admitted non-management of National Forests, the deadfall makes it virtually impossible to navigate, so hunters are compressed into what is accessible. That's why someone can backpack 7 miles into a wilderness area from a trailhead and have three other camps within sight around a big meadow.

• Sitka Gear