LUNG$HOT 25-Mar-23
StickFlicker 25-Mar-23
BOWUNTR 25-Mar-23
StickFlicker 26-Mar-23
06-Mar-23

StickFlicker's embedded Photo
StickFlicker's embedded Photo

StickFlicker's Link
Guys, I submitted a bowhunting video to my first-ever Film Festival (LESS THAN 14 MINS LONG). It's a DIY, solo hunt, self-filmed, self-edited, no sponsors, video of my 2020 hunt for a 218" Mule Deer (the last one listed in the Short Amateur category). I have no YouTube channel and have never publicly posted one of my videos. I've just enjoyed making them for myself. The contest has been open for a week, and only lasts a couple more weeks for voting. I am SERIOUSLY BEHIND because Western Hunter had an error posting my video until today and every other film has had a one-week head start on mine. I'd really appreciate it if you could do a simple registration and vote for my film so I can get into the top 5 vote getters and be judged by the professional judges. THOSE THAT REGISTER AND VOTE ARE ELIGIBLE FOR LOTS OF PRIZES TOO! Last year I won a Marsupial binocular pouch when I just registered to vote! While my movie is no "Cocaine Bear", I still think you'll enjoy it. My video has this pic as a thumbnail and is the last one listed under the Short Amateur category. Hit the thumbs-up next to it. Thanks for the support! Marvin

06-Mar-23
Awesome video Marvin! I gave you my vote!

06-Mar-23
Great video, well done. I'm a fan of the other peripheral stuff, as it's all part of the hunting experience, so scouting pics, songbirds, narration, etc. was excellent. Congrats on your success!

06-Mar-23
Done! Great work.

06-Mar-23
Very nicely done. What a deer!

06-Mar-23
Great job Marvin. I registered and gave you a vote.

06-Mar-23
Awesome deer congrats, thumbs-up from me your at 20 for know, good luck

06-Mar-23
Done. Great video Marvin. You sure know how to get it done. Ed F

06-Mar-23
Done Marvin. Great job and you are definitely up against some serious competition!!

06-Mar-23
Voted! Nice job and good luck!

07-Mar-23
Well done Marvin--------->

Good luck, Robb

07-Mar-23
Nice job and a great deer!! I voted.

07-Mar-23
Great shooting, Marvin (both camera, and bow) !

07-Mar-23
Nice buck! What state is that? Looks like Utah or Nevada. Some really great deer for sure.

07-Mar-23
Tried but kept getting an error that said I was already registered when I clicked the thumbs up. Not sure what’s up there! I did register on the first page that came up but only tried to vote on your hunt.

07-Mar-23
It wouldn't let me vote.

07-Mar-23
You got my vote. Congrats ion the buck!

07-Mar-23
Thanks for the support guys, and I'm glad you're enjoying the film. I forgot to mention in the description that it's a public land hunt, so no private land was harmed in the making of this film!

For those having trouble voting, I understand that if you just leave the website and then go back to it, you should be able to go directly to the film and click the thumbs-up to vote. A pop-up will tell you "thanks for voting". Again, I appreciate it!

07-Mar-23
Marvin: Did you say an Outfitter was sabotaging your hunt each day??

07-Mar-23
Thats what i thought he said

07-Mar-23
Charlie, I won't make that direct accusation and begin any type of conflict, but they did seem to conveniently come by at prime times and they had made it clear to me that they were hunting the same buck. Being harassed and interfered with by guides is just normal hunting in the better units for deer and elk in my state and other top western states. There was another guide service that was also hoping to hunt this buck that were very helpful and professional, so I won't paint all of them with the same brush.

07-Mar-23
When I originally viewed the video, I couldn't vote. However, shortly thereafter, I received an email thanking me for registering. As soon as I saw that e-mail, I re-entered the website, went to the video, clicked on the thumbs-up, and it thanked me for voting.

07-Mar-23
Did anybody get the giant buck shown in the opening of your video?

07-Mar-23
Great video and congratulations on an amazing deer! You have vote

07-Mar-23
Great videos . The kid taking the Antelope buck stalking w his bow was really good.

07-Mar-23
Great video and congratulations on an amazing deer! You have vote

07-Mar-23
awesome thumbs up

18-Mar-23

StickFlicker's Link
Guys, There are only a few more days before the public voting period ends. You've helped me to edge into the top 5, but I'm just barely there in 4th, and 5th place is only a few votes behind me. I need to finish in the top 5, and preferably the top 3, to get into the industry judges' round. I'd appreciate it if any of you who haven't voted yet, or those that may have had trouble casting your vote would quickly vote for my film before the time ends. Just go to the last film under the AM SHORT category "Cursed and Blessed" and click the thumbs-up next to my film (it should turn from white to red if it registers your vote, and a message will thank you for voting). If you're having trouble getting it to accept your vote, many have reported that leaving the site and then returning will fix the issue, or click on the link in the email they send to you as Medicinemann describes above. Don't forget, YOU can win prizes for voting too! Thank you all!!

18-Mar-23
Done….good luck, Marvin!

18-Mar-23
Done...two more votes (wife voted too). Good luck Marvin!

Really sucks that a guide was driving through twice a day during prime time to spook the deer away! I'm thinking a few tire spikes are in order!

18-Mar-23
Thanks guys! I appreciate it. In this state, it's VERY common for guides to do that, and many other things that aren't quite illegal but not cool. Guides checking trail cams in the last 30 minutes of light was pretty common on my last elk hunt too, before cams were outlawed here. Junior guides sitting at prime water sites all-day (without a client) in order to keep others from hunting there (if they had a good backup bull using it), while the client rested at camp or hunted somewhere else with the main guide for a potentially larger bull, is pretty common too in prime elk and deer units.

18-Mar-23
Done, congrats on the giant buck

18-Mar-23
Done! Great buck...congrats!

I'm not sure the harassment would be worth the hunting in that unit for me. People can be a$$holes.

18-Mar-23
Done! Great video and Buck. Congratulations and good luck!

18-Mar-23
Done! Great video and Buck. Congratulations and good luck!

18-Mar-23
Nicely done Marvin, outstanding video and buck -- despite the low moral character of the guides.

Another vote for you!

18-Mar-23
Looks like you are in fourth place now. That one elk video has by far the most votes. good luck sir

18-Mar-23
You just got another vote. I enjoyed the videos in this competition. The short amateur videos were more enjoyable than the "pro" videos.

19-Mar-23
and another vote, Good Luck

23-Mar-23

StickFlicker's Link
Thanks guys! The public voting ends tomorrow, and Bowsite has really helped me to move to within striking distance of making the Top 3. While I've been in fourth place most of the contest, due to a technical issue making my film unavailable to view for the first week of the contest, with a little luck I'm now less than a dozen votes away from jumping over #3 and #2. The #1 film had 100+ votes before I was even in the contest, so I'll never catch him... If there are any of you that haven't yet voted, or maybe had trouble getting your vote to register (thumbs up turn red when you click on it next to my film), it would be great to have a few more votes before tomorrow. I'm the last film (Cursed and Blessed) listed in the AM SHORT category. Feel free to vote under your spouse's email address!! I'll post back in a few weeks when they announce the winners and let you know how I did. Thank you all! Marvin

24-Mar-23
StickFlicker great video and congrats on another fine buck!

But this is exactly why I hate these contests. Just a popularity contest. "Vote from your spouse's email" etc. Nothing to do with video quality, just how many people can I get to vote for my video. Nothing against you Marvin - that's the game so you've got to play it.

24-Mar-23
Thanks Adam. I absolutely don't disagree with you about the downside of the popularity contest, and that is unfortunate. However, generating visits to their website to show the sponsors' names is what probably pays for the generous prizes. The good thing about this particular contest is that the public won't determine the winner, only those five films that we move to the next round where industry judges will determine the winner. Will the film featuring 13 people all wearing complete Sitka and/or Kuiu camo outfits with heavy product placement of Swarovski etc. beat out my film where I'm wearing Walmart camo once the industry judges have their final say? Perhaps. But all I can do is represent the average guy hunting public land with no sponsors, no YouTube channel, and no help hunting, filming, or editing my film. I'm currently just a vote or two outside of the Top 5, and I would appreciate one final push towards today's voting deadline if any of you haven't yet found the time to vote and support the Bowsite "candidate"! Ha

24-Mar-23
Done, amazing buck and great video.

24-Mar-23
How many Bowsiters actually watched all of the videos and voted for the one they liked the most?

Matt

24-Mar-23
I voted for the long time Bowsite contributor.

24-Mar-23
Rocky, this a film contest, not a nepotism or popularity contest. What if the 5 worst films go to the next round just because their creators were better at soliciting votes? Wouldn't that kind of defeat the purpose of a "film contest"?

Marvin, no offense intended. I only watched yours and one other video. Both were entertaining, but yours wasn't my favorite of the two. Since I didn't give all the videos a fair view, I didn't place a vote.

Good luck, and great job on your first video production. I know it takes a lot of time and effort.

Matt

24-Mar-23
Matt, I am in no way offended. And certainly, if one takes the time to watch them all and vote for the one they feel is the best, I have no issue with that. In a perfect world, that's what all should do. Last year it was the inverse, the judges selected 5 videos and then held public judging. While perhaps that is the fairest for a contest, it clearly didn't accomplish what the creators wanted, which is likely a marketing tool. If they were to pick videos that didn't generate much interest in funneling voters to their site, they have failed in their goal. Which is why I believe they likely changed the format this year. Thank you for your input here. It's appreciated.

24-Mar-23
I tried to vote Marvin but couldn’t because I’m not computer literate. You need to associate with more qualified people. Would have voted for you without giving the others a shot

24-Mar-23
Gave ya my vote. Great film and congrats on an outstanding hunt!

24-Mar-23
I do know that Marvin is not a one trick pony or just got lucky once.

And yeah I watched several of the vids and said in my first post that there was some stiff competition. Some were too slick or contrived. Marvin's was genuine.

25-Mar-23
You got my vote. Hope it's not too late. Great video

25-Mar-23
Thank you to those that supported and voted for my film. Bowsite really came across for me, and I greatly appreciate it. However, the public voting period has ended, and my film was eliminated. There's no reason to vote anymore and the link to my film has been disabled. I would give my opinion about the way the host runs this contest (both this year and even worse last year), but due to my current bad attitude after spending the last several hours arguing with my wireless company, it's probably not safe to start saying negative things about either of them on a public forum. Thank you again.

25-Mar-23
Drink some whiskey Marvin... it allows me to talk freely about my feelings. Let'er rip... Ed F

26-Mar-23
Thanks Ed. I had already started on the rum, so I felt it best not to trust my typing fingers!

• Sitka Gear