Jaquomo 10-Mar-23
Bake 10-Mar-23
c3 10-Mar-23
OldFart 24-Mar-23
Bigdog 21 25-Mar-23
Bigdog 21 25-Mar-23
OldFart 24-Jun-23
09-Mar-23
How are Ebikes for climbing hills? What factors are important here? Actually I would need a trike as I'm handicapped. Weak right side arm and leg/foot . Stroke. Have been exercising for over 3 years under supervision of both Occupational and Physical Therapists. But I refuse to give up! How about wattage ratings? Mid drive? Fat tires? Brands? etc.? Since I live in Colorado, climbing ability is extremely important. TKS

09-Mar-23
If you are talking off road, I don't think a trike would work very well on a single track or a double track. Seems like you'd be better off with a 4 wheeler of some sort.

09-Mar-23
If you're in the physical health you state you're taking a huge risk by trusting a mechanical device of any kind. It breaks or you have an accident in the out country you are in dire straights with no way out. JMO

10-Mar-23
Good luck old fart. I admire you for not giving up. I have no experience with a trike. But, I’ve rode a lot of gas powered 3 wheelers. They lack stability in certain situations. No side hilling on grade and no sharp turns. Good luck brother.

10-Mar-23
I think an e-bike would be down right dangerous for a guy in your physical condition. Remember, it's still a bike that requires balance and agility. Add the weight of a pack and a bow on your back, and they become even trickier to ride, especially on rough terrain. Occasional crashes are almost inevitable, even for a fit person with no physical handicaps.

I agree with Aspen Ghost, perhaps you'd be better off with a 4-wheeler. I hear the electric versions have come a long ways and are very capable off-road with decent range. Most importantly, they are quiet and won't spook game like a gasser.

Either way, good luck and don't ever give up.

Matt

10-Mar-23
I'm with the others on this. Unless you are riding a smooth gravel road, you are risking a lot. Even then, three wheelers are tipsy. An electric ATV sounds like the right solution for you.

10-Mar-23
I agree with the above in that a trike would not be very stable.

I believe a company called Tuoro V or something like that makes a 4 wheeled electric cart. That may be something to look into? I cannot speak to their stability as I have only saw them as a sponsor on a couple hunting shows. Explore those at your own risk.

10-Mar-23
I echo the others above. I don't have any experience with any trike, but I've had my ebike for about a year. I'm 41 and decently agile still, and I've wrecked mine 7 or 8 times in the last year. A couple times on pretty level ground :)

10-Mar-23
Quite a few electric ATVs available, from some newcomers and stalwarts like Polaris. We seriously considered one for riding around on our local roads, but living in the mountains we would need a heated shed to store it to maintain the battery life during the cold months. For hunting-only, it would be a much quieter option than a gas ATV.

10-Mar-23
I'm a couple decades older than Bake, but still in good shape and consider myself a (pretty) strong biker. We ride our Mules a LOT on some pretty gnarly stuff, and I still tip over a few times every year. The 4" tires do make a hell of a difference in stability vs. our conventional MTBs, but the weight is a factor when suddenly getting pitched off balance.

10-Mar-23
Ha! I've never been a mountain biker. Most of my wrecks have been stupid. For instance, I'll tip the thing over when crossing a little creek, because I should go "full send" but instead I try to tip-toe, and I wreck. Or, I'll go through a mud puddle on "full send", when I should be tip-toeing :)

I love my e-bike. It's the greatest hunting thing I've ever purchased for whitetail/turkeys. But it's not the greatest in mud, and I've slid the thing out from under me a time or three in mud.

Ultimately, I do think a person needs some level of physical fitness to use one. Especially in rough ground.

10-Mar-23

c3's Link
No idea where your budget is, but just as a reference point for the sickest thing made before the E part comes in, go here.

I work with some folks who do ebike stuff and thangs from Alta Racks and had Dave from Bakcou at my shop a couple days ago. We were talking about lion hunting in addition to all things ebike.

Ali from Alta Racks across the parking lot gave me the link above to the guys at Reactive Adaptations !!!

If we could combine forces, pretty sure something epic could be made to do exactly what's needed here and as close to perfect as you could get considering realities in question :)

Find the coolest offroad trike you can get and then add a bolt on BaFang mid motor somehow and you'd be stylin

Just brainstorming ideas, from someone on the fringes of what you're looking for

Cheers, Pete

24-Mar-23
Been doing a lot of surfing in area of Ebikes/trikes. Found one called a "Coyote". Would love to have one, would be almost ideal for my needs----BUT----cost is 16K up, just too much and that's NOT considering what I'd have to pay the divorce lawyer. Also looked at Recumbent machines. I think they would be much more stable. Anyone ever tried one of these?? UTVs and ATVs are a possibility but electric ones are much more expensive, Maybe a used one but then, I'd be concerned about reliability. As far as breakdowns marooning me, most likely I'd not ride alone. THANKS Ray

25-Mar-23

Bigdog 21's embedded Photo
4wheels electric

25-Mar-23

Addmotor trike. Off road fat tires.

24-Jun-23
I planned to use the Etrike for things other than just hunting and even then, not on single track or other narrow trails. I want to use it for local riding, especially on Metro trails and roads and Forest Service roads and trails up near my cabin out from Jefferson, CO, Would also use on private land on friend's land and on my farm in W TN (mostly flat land and small hills).

Any Help Here would be greatly Appreciated! : I've tried (and tried) to gather info about what specific trails are allowed and what trails aren't allowed for Ebikes in Colorado. Experiences/Knowledge please!!! Email [email protected] OR forum THANKS Ray

• Sitka Gear