IowaHawkeye 10-Oct-23
Charlie Rehor 10-Oct-23
pirogue 10-Oct-23
VAMtns 10-Oct-23
TODDY 10-Oct-23
midwest 10-Oct-23
BULELK1 12-Oct-23
10-Mar-23
My credit card got charged!! Apparently I drew Unit 8 early archery hunt. This is probably a one and done hunt for me. I have never stepped foot in Arizona. Deep and steep is not a problem for me. Any information anyone is willing to provide would be greatly appreciated.

10-Mar-23
Congrats. My advice is block off the entire season. The first AZ elk tag I had I only did a week because I had to go back to work. Never again. Good luck. C

10-Mar-23
Unit 8 isn't all that steep, and most areas of AZ don't allow you to get deeply away from roads. Arrive a few days early, if you can, to get the lay of the land. Tall pines in the North, juniper (cedar) trees in the west and south. Elk scattered throughout. There are a LOT of people camping in the unit in the months before the hunt, which likely affects where the elk hang out, but they'll disappear just before the hunt as school starts. I would offer you more info, but it is not a unit that I have mastered. Good luck!

10-Mar-23
Thank you guys. I can use all the help I can get. Appreciate the info.

10-Mar-23
You only put in one choice?

11-Mar-23

KHunter's embedded Photo
KHunter's embedded Photo
fun hunt. killed on 6th day stayed till end helping another hunter I met cuz it got better everyday and was so fun. Found this bull scouting and couldn’t resist when called in to 17 yards. 8x6 before busted up right side. neet extra tine off the main.

11-Mar-23
Cool bull K. Shrewski, 15 poShrewsbury, in for 1 first, 8 second. Odds of getting a unit 1 tag are about 0, but I guess you never know. Would have had to not draw 8 in the first pass, then been a lucky sob

11-Mar-23
Oops. Don't know why my phone put Shrewsbury in there. Had 15 points

11-Mar-23
You will know for sure soon! I had a similar strategy-either way it will be awesome.

11-Mar-23
Didn't Big Dan take a 400 inches in 8? And at one time WR was from 8? So potential is there!

11-Mar-23
"Didn't Big Dan take a 400 inches in 8? And at one time WR was from 8? So potential is there!"

Yes

11-Mar-23
I knew big Dan. He always told me to let him know when I draw 8 and he would send me all his waypoints. He was a good man.

14-Mar-23
B igDan gave me some intel when I had the 8 tag. He had hunted it a year or two prior.

14-Mar-23
Danny helped me too, back in 2011 on 8. My arrow didn’t fly true though.

14-Mar-23
Pm sent. Way better hunt than most people think.

15-Mar-23

Lewis 's embedded Photo
Lewis 's embedded Photo
I’m pretty sure this is the elk Dan killed in unit 8 sorry for the picture quality as it’s off a fax I think that Dan sent me.That year in a few weeks he killed elk in Nevada,Az,and Montana they totaled 987 inches with the Az.netting 385.This was in 2005 M.R.James mentioned this in his book Unforgettable Bowhunters if you haven’t read it it’s a very interesting read.Yep unit 8 holds some nice animals.Good Luck. Lewis

15-Mar-23

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
This is Bigdan's AZ Unit 8 elk.

15-Mar-23

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
His NV and Montana bulls from the same year. 2005 hat trick!

15-Mar-23
Thanks midwest for posting those I could only find that one picture and I thought it was that elk cool seeing Maggie in the picture. Lewis

15-Mar-23
I was blessed to spend two weeks with Dan, Maggie and his new pup (I don't recall the name?) during the 2017 MT archery elk season...same year Dan almost lost his cabin to a forest fire. Next saw him at the 2019 P&Y Convention in Omaha. He insisted (over and over...for years) that I try bowhunting black bear in Alaska. I was at the airport in August, headed to Alaska for my first black bear hunt, when I learned of Dan's passing. We lost a fine man and a notorious elk slayer that day...

15-Mar-23
It is looking better and better that I quit worrying about drawing multiple tags in a year. No love from AZ.

RE Dan. Never got to hunt with him, but he shared everything he knew about a unit he had hunted and I drew in 2017. Sorely missed.

15-Mar-23
Damn I miss BigDan. He was arguably the best elk bowhunter that ever lived. I think about him every time I see an elk thread or hear some guy cow-calling on the outdoor channel!

15-Mar-23
X2 Pat plus I lost a great friend of over 30 something years and I agree about the cow calling theories lol Lewis

15-Mar-23
Dan was a great elk hunter and even a better person. Have some fond memories of him when we were setting stands while traveling up and down the river in his jet boat. At least he’s hunting with his son up in heaven.

15-Mar-23
Dan gave me all his intel on a New Mexico elk unit in 2009. He was spot on and totally enjoyed serving it up to me. I was then able to pass some of that on to OtcWill when he drew the unit a few years ago. He taught us a lot about more than just elk hunting.

PS: He was also good friends with Lou (Cityhunter) who also passed a few years ago.

15-Mar-23
Sure miss the guy, he was a straight up nightmare for a bull elk.

15-Mar-23
As I was going through some word documents in my elk hunting folder on my pc, I came across a PM that Big Dan had sent me about an old Idaho elk spot he had. He wanted me to go kill an elk there. A gracious man he was. One day I plan on getting to that spot in Idaho…and hopefully killing a bull. Would be the makings of an epic recap in Big Dans memory.

09-Oct-23

IowaHawkeye's embedded Photo
I was able to get it done. Not a monster, but my biggest to date. Thank you to everyone that was willing to offer help.

09-Oct-23
Awesome

09-Oct-23
Great bull. Congratulations

09-Oct-23
Congrats!

09-Oct-23
Very nice!

09-Oct-23
Great bull!

09-Oct-23
Awesome, congrats. Post up some more pics and details when you have time.

09-Oct-23
Congratulations! Solid bull!

09-Oct-23
Great looking bull! Big time congrats.

09-Oct-23
Cool bull, great thread!

09-Oct-23
Solid bull! Congratulations!!

09-Oct-23
Well done. You did your homework before and did your task while there. Enjoy.

09-Oct-23
Nice bull!!! That’s great country!

09-Oct-23
Congratulations!

09-Oct-23
Great bull! Congratulations!

09-Oct-23
congrats and thanks for reporting back! Hope there's a good story to go with the bull.

09-Oct-23
Congrats on a great bull, Travis! Would like hear some details of your hunt.

09-Oct-23
Congrats nice bull

09-Oct-23
Congrats great looking bull Good job Lewis

09-Oct-23
Heck ya, that's a great bull! Good job and congrats

09-Oct-23
Way to go!

09-Oct-23
Nice. Thanks for coming back to finish the thread.

09-Oct-23
Thank you everyone. I can write a little something up. Nothing too exciting, but I certainly won't forget the trip.

09-Oct-23

09-Oct-23

09-Oct-23

09-Oct-23

09-Oct-23
Congrats

10-Oct-23
Awesome. Congrats on a great bull.

10-Oct-23
Heck ya, awesome bull! Congratulations!

10-Oct-23
Nice bull congrats!

10-Oct-23
I started the day with some locator bugles before daybreak. I had a distant response and started that way. As I got closer, the ridgelines on both sides of the canyon I was walking down the bottom of to keep my scent in one place started to come alive. There were at least five bulls bugling. I picked what I thought sounded like the best herd bull and made my way in. I bumped a smaller satellite, but he didn't phase the rest of the herd. I closed within 80 yards of the herd bull, but couldn't close the distance. I was amazed at how open a lot of the country is in Arizona. I backed out and made a loop around to try and cut them off again. Again, I closed to within 80 yards, but couldn't get it done. He was a nice 350+ bull. I had dogged the herd for about 2 miles. At this time it was 9:00 and the elk were shutting up. Before the trip I had marked every puddle of water I could see in satellite imagery on my OnX app. I pulled out my phone and noticed there was a tank about 400 yards from where I had heard multiple bulls earlier. I slipped down to the tank and there was a lot of fresh sign. I decided I would sit there until dark, or I heard another bull get going. You can't kill an elk from camp. I only had to wait about an hour. At 10:00am this bull came in to get a drink. He snuck in from behind me and walked by me at 15 yards as I sat motionless. I slowly got to my knees and raised my bow. As he started to walk straight away I drew. He turned broadside to walk back up where he came from. I guessed him at 30 yards. I buried my 30 yard pin behind his shoulder and pulled through. Perfect shot. He sprinted about 70 yards and piled up. This was on day 4 of the two weeks my buddy and I had for this hunt. I spent the rest of the trip helping him. We were on multiple herds. He had some opportunities, but couldn't make it happen. Thanks everyone

10-Oct-23
Atta-boy. Congrats and enjoy your success. C

10-Oct-23
Congrats and thanks for recap

10-Oct-23
Good Deal , Congrats and thanks for the recap

10-Oct-23
Congrats and thanks for sharing the recap of your hunt! TODDY

10-Oct-23
Awesome, Travis...congrats again!

12-Oct-23
Fun times---->