petedrummond 16-Mar-23
SteveB 17-Mar-23
Potro 18-Mar-23
Tilzbow 18-Mar-23
stealthycat 19-Mar-23
Jody 19-Mar-23
Buckdeer 20-Mar-23
12-Mar-23
I’m 24 days away from my first trip to hunt in Africa. I will be focused on cape buffalo and will possibly target a few of the bigger antelope if time allows. My bow is setup with good heavy arrows and broadheads. I have went off of a few suggested packing lists from the web and think that I’m covered there also. Everything is set up to get my trophy back home after the hunt as well.

What I am wanting is some input from those of you that have hunted in Africa. We all know that sometimes there are items you wish that you had brought on your adventure after getting there. So my question to all of you is what would be the one thing that you would not go to Africa without?

Thanks in advance for you input.

12-Mar-23
Chap Stick. If you’re targeting Cape Buffalo, I’m assuming you won’t be sitting in a blind over water/food, but if you are during part of the hunt for other species, I’d suggest bringing several trail cameras. It was a very enjoyable addition to our trip 8 years ago. I gave them to my PH at the end of the hunt.

12-Mar-23
You didn't mention which country you will be hunting, but take a power converter. Most voltages in Africa are different and you will need a converter and assorted plugs.

Not quite as important, but well appreciated, is a large bag of hard candy. Wintergreen life savers, jolly ranchers or fireballs have been a hit. Trackers and villagers LOVE hard candy, and it is generally unavailable, so a real treat. Not so bad to such on yourself when on a long, dry hike...

Bill

12-Mar-23
camera

12-Mar-23
The country of destination is South Africa around Kruger national park in the Phalaborwa region. It is a 14 day spot and stalk hunt.

12-Mar-23
I would have set more money aside for trophy fees. It is cheaper to pay the trophy fees then to pay to go back a second time.

12-Mar-23
Bug spray, full body snake chaps, plenty of tobacco, Tennessee Whiskey and condoms

12-Mar-23
Fuzzy he said one thing. So you need to pick one off that list.

12-Mar-23
Been there done that. Going with the whiskey ;)

12-Mar-23
I did not bring a power converter to Africa (Zimbabwe and SA) but I brought a plug to the cigarette lighter in the Land Rover and charged off of it to/from hunts. That was 8 years ago, so I’m not positive that cigarette receptacle would still be made.

12-Mar-23
OK then guys keep it real and risky, I'll go with the whiskey.

12-Mar-23
I think you’d be safer in a pit blind with a mamba than having unprotected sex in Africa ;)

Frankly I think the tendency is to overpack. I’m going back soon and I think I’m gonna just go with a carryon and no checked bags. Download a bunch of books to my kindle and go

12-Mar-23
I absolutely love that I invested in good-quality video cameras and have filmed my entire hunts on each of my trips to Africa. Make sure to have plenty of memory cards for both cameras and video cameras. Contrary to what advertising has tried to make us believe, even the very top-of-the-line cell phones don't take anywhere near the quality of a digital SLR or 4K camcorder.

12-Mar-23
Cough candies.

My wife gave a whole bag of them to our guide on day two. She said “here, these could save your life”. He asked “how could a cough drop save my life?” She said “if you cough as much tomorrow as you did today, Trevor’s gonna strangle you”.

True story. … and she didn’t tell me until after the hunt.

12-Mar-23
I got into a bit of pickle years ago in Zim. Very long story, a bit hairy. Ended up in a Hospital for 8 days, several in ICU. I did not have travel insurance. The outfitter paid all my medical bills, but I’m sure not all would have. I flew home on my regular flight, but I was not critical. If I needed to be flown home for care, I would have been in trouble. Things can happen, and you are a long way from the best medical care in the world.

12-Mar-23

12-Mar-23
Small denomination bills for tips for drivers etc, $5’s and $10’s, also envelopes for tips. If you’re flying into wild country, Mozambique, Zambia, etc, a broad spectrum antibiotic and Imodium. Day and night time Cold and flu meds. Bag of bite size candy bars, trackers love them, as do little kids. Do daily recording field notes on your phone of all the details of each day, as the years go by I find these are the biggest treasures of a hunt. Take too many pictures of everything, you can always delete them.

12-Mar-23
Probably a good, custom-fitted double rifle with a second set of barrels in 20-ga with many rounds of skeet/sporting clays on their resume…

And a REALLY good camera. Maybe a decent directional microphone for recording Night Noises.

12-Mar-23
Some prior African bowhunting experience before taking in a Cape buffalo.

13-Mar-23
sunscreen spot and stalk for sure eyedrops bow stand HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!

13-Mar-23
"I did not have travel insurance. "

That would be way up my budget list.

13-Mar-23
Cigarette papers. My tracker was using news paper.

13-Mar-23
Bake I hear ya man. So is there and good local whiskey? This one item limit is a tough decision. ;)

13-Mar-23
Good antihistamine in my first aid kit. Oral and topical. Africa has a lot of things that make you itch. Google up "pepper ticks" to gain valuable insight as to how I learned this!

Pete

13-Mar-23
Wrist Rocket slingshot for the monkeys...

13-Mar-23
Go Ghostbird! Arm the monkeys!

13-Mar-23
I’d take Buffalo1. He’s been lots of times!

13-Mar-23

SteveB's embedded Photo
SteveB's embedded Photo
A good camera!

13-Mar-23
Rootbeer candy I had a loss of words when asked what's rootbeer taste like other than tastes like rootbeer lol

13-Mar-23

wild1's embedded Photo
wild1's embedded Photo
A good camera, sure. But large ziplock bags are priceless (Africa is very dusty, and sometimes wet), also CIPRO.

13-Mar-23
Change a persons life, pick the lowest thankless job person, e.g. room cleaner, your tracker and give them a wad of cash at end of stay and let them know you appreciate them. It is a small price to do something to change a person’s life and something that will help you remember the trip by.

13-Mar-23
wild1

Did you take that picture?

It's awesome

13-Mar-23
Tree farm I agree if you give them enough money to never work again and have someone to manage it for them. Otherwise you are ruining their life

I'm not arguing the need, but rather the method

13-Mar-23
I found amazing results with trackers and skinners by giving them a few dollars a day and a "thank you" and then a tip after the hunt. They tend to track harder and handle processing hides and skull/horns better- they seem to appreciate the hunter more.

14-Mar-23
Bring a roll of shiny new pennies and hand them out to the kids.

Does permethrin work on African bugs?

14-Mar-23
If you happen to have any extra room in your luggage fill it with clothes you dont wear or dont use, donate it to the workers that assist your PH.

14-Mar-23
Gern That is the best so far. Thank you.

14-Mar-23

wild1's embedded Photo
wild1's embedded Photo
RK -

Thank you! (yes, I took that image). I've been fortunate enough to have a few published.

14-Mar-23

wild1's embedded Photo
wild1's embedded Photo
If you want to bring gifts, pens and pencils are the best: lightweight and appreciated by the children. The kids also love balloons, but there is the choking hazard (I used dental floss and ties the balloons to their wrists). Magazines (comic/coloring books for children, old ESPN/Sports Illustrated for adult men), they lay flat in luggage but add weight. Also, old cheap sunglasses, but money is probably the easiest.

14-Mar-23
"Does permethrin work on African bugs?" Yes, seems to be great for tics.

14-Mar-23
Black Mamba repellent.

16-Mar-23

petedrummond's embedded Photo
petedrummond's embedded Photo
Selection of non prescription fish antibiotics. Same as prescription and much cheaper been using them for forty years. Take three or four kinds on any trip saved a trip to the doctor particularly when there is no doctor.

17-Mar-23
Wild1is right with Cipro. I took a bottle along and it likely saved my life. I got a serious attack of diverticulitis and hate to think what would have transpired without having it along.

18-Mar-23
$$$$$$$$$

18-Mar-23
You don’t need a power converter with any of the newer chargers used on cameras, phones, tablets or laptops (they all work with 220 all over the world, just read the fine print on the charger and you’ll see) but you will need an inexpensive outlet adapter to plug US plugs into outlets in Africa and many other countries outside the US. A quick internet search will help you find the right one.

19-Mar-23
upgrade to the best camera you can afford and battery packs/memory cards

take 10,000 photo's of everything

19-Mar-23
A neck pillow for the long flight, gaiters for tracking (thorny brush). I've been to Africa a dozen times or more. Tom Miranda has a link to a free comprehensive report about hunting in Africa. He also has a link to African game shot placement. This is the best information I have seen for those wanting to bow hunt Africa. Thank you Tom.

20-Mar-23
Neck pillow and money for trophy fees,as mentioned some never get to go back and theres always more to shoot.Do euros instead of mounts and do more

• Sitka Gear