Don T. Lewis 18-Mar-23
Basil 19-Mar-23
Don T. Lewis 19-Mar-23
Don T. Lewis 19-Mar-23
Basil 19-Mar-23
13-Mar-23

Don T. Lewis's embedded Photo
Has anyone on here tried this SP-53 knife out from Ontario knives? Good tool for hunting camp?

13-Mar-23
That's an awesome knife for cutting timber to build a house. Congrats on that one Let's see the cabin when it's finished

13-Mar-23
Also an exceptional tool for weight training. You'll have no problem getting several miles in to an elk after carrying that thing around during the off-season.

13-Mar-23
Those big knives, I know they are mostly impractical, but I just like those big dogs! I have a small collection and do have three or four of those big guys just for show. The knife I carry when hunting has a 3 1/2" blade that is great for gutting a whitetails. Back in the 1960s I carried a K-Bar while in the corps, maybe that's where my fondness for the bigger models comes from. Well, to each their own.

13-Mar-23
I got one just like that Don...8^)

Used it one time to chop a dead limb when I first received it... It's almost too small for big whacking and too big for small jobs like small game... I'd consider selling it if anybody is interested...

14-Mar-23
I’ve heard these were good quality knives. So who better to ask then hunters? The knife I like to use for gutting my deer is a 4” drop point hunter. But what I have learned over the years is a “Small” knife can’t do the job of a big knife. And a “big” knife can’t do the job of a small knife. That’s why it’s good to have both. Thats what I tell my wife anyway! It’s been working so far;) I admit it. I just like a big knife. I’m glad I’m not the only one Bill! ;)

14-Mar-23
Whoa now that’s a KNIFE!!!!!!

14-Mar-23
When I need an axe I call a buddy with a chain saw.

(Actually on the trail I usually have a folding saw and pruning cutters. And a pocket knife. Tried a machete once. Once was enough.)

14-Mar-23
Wouldn't be a bad knife for a last resort in a bear fight, one good whack and you might chop off his nose. Knives can be addictive, throw it in the collection and keep buying. Would hate to try and gut a animal with that.

14-Mar-23
Knives are like bows, guns, cars, and many other things. If YOU think you would like it get ya' one and try it. You'll either keep it and find a use for it or not. Simple as that.

14-Mar-23
I have a machete & axe under the seat of my truck. Generally when we encounter a tree across the road I take the big end with the machete and am done before my buddy does the small end with the axe. Lots of useless machete’s on the market though. Would never carry one in the back country though.

14-Mar-23
My brother swears by Ontario knives, he has a collection of them, I'll ask him about that one.

We actually lived near the plant where they are manufactured.

14-Mar-23
My best is my Knife of Alaska cleaver I bought 30 years ago.

14-Mar-23
I have an Ontario Blackwind Katana machete/sword. It lives in my truck, and while I don't use it every day, it does get a fair amount of use chopping branches/weeds/tall grass. The only time I use it for hunting is for scouting when I clear shooting lanes/trails. I even made an over the shoulder harness for the sheath for when I'm in the woods. Great tool!

14-Mar-23
I know nothing about that knife, but they do make a good machete.

14-Mar-23
Yes they do. Not fancy, but well made, tough and holds an edge (just don't hit rocks or metal with it! D'OH!!)

17-Mar-23

Thanks everybody for the input. Even the sarcastic stuff. Makes me laugh. I traded for this Bolo on stickbow. And I was very happy with the trade. From my research I found out Ontario knife company has a good reputation. So I plan on putting this Bolo to the test. I watched a utube video where A guy chops a rock with this Bolo. And shoots the handle with two different caliber guns. He did manage to break this knife finally. But it took a lot of abuse.

17-Mar-23
I forgot to mention. They are made here. In the U.S.A.

17-Mar-23

This pilot survival knife is from Ontario knife company too. I bet a few of these have gutted some deer.

18-Mar-23

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Don - I have 5 OKC knives (that I can think of), the SP-53 Bolo like yours, and the OKC Hunting Knife on the left, and 2 of the Butcher's knives, one I bought a sheath for on the right and the other I keep in my kitchen drawer, as can see I Patina the blades.... And then I have the RAT 2, folder... Of all of them I use the RAT 2 kept in my coffee table drawer the most.... I luv this knife and use it practically every day and for the $25-$30 price range it's the best bang for the buck (pun intended...8^)) available out there...

18-Mar-23
I like how you put the patina on those blades Gary. Could you tell us how you did it. Looks great. I’d like to give it a try.

18-Mar-23
Don, To patina a blade on a knife depends on the steel. Bare high carbon steels can be done with ferric, mustard, vinegar and even coffee. A stainless knife will require a different recipe that can include Muratic acid and such.

18-Mar-23

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Here's my RAT 2 along side full size BIC lighter for size reference...

I'm thinking about purchasing the bigger RAT 1, because the RAT 2 blade not long enough to keep sub sandwich juice's out of the hinge...8^)))

Also, when I bought the SP-53 Bolo, I was debating on the RAT 7 as a chopper...

18-Mar-23
Don - I just played around with white vinegar and mustard, soaked in paper towels... I experimented by a couple hours to overnight until I got the look I liked.... The carbon OKC blades takes the patina very nicely... I tried just white vinegar (hot and cold) first, then just mustard, but ended up using both on the same paper towel to get the effect I liked... the mustard will give a blotchier effect.... Actually, the whole process was much simplifier than I expected... You can set the ingredients up in the paper towels in just a couple minutes, it just takes a little time for the blade to react... When you think it's had enough time you unwrap it like a Christmas present, cause yo don't know what you're going to receive...8^)))

Then if it gets stained with dry blood or something, or rusts, you can redo it...

18-Mar-23
“Ontario Machete”

There, I fixed it for em.

18-Mar-23
Thanks Gary

19-Mar-23

Basil's embedded Photo
Basil's embedded Photo
Not an Ontario but I bought this Bowie at an NRA banquet auction. Cool knife great cause.

19-Mar-23

Chuck that is a beautiful remake of this Classic vintage Bowie. The Western W-49. Bear and Sons make a great knife too.

19-Mar-23

This is one of my favorite Bear and sons Bowie’s. Like I said. They make a good knife.

19-Mar-23
Yes Don that is a Bear & sons knife

• Sitka Gear