tradi-doerr 03-Apr-23
Pop-r 05-Apr-23
wyobullshooter 05-Apr-23
Pop-r 05-Apr-23
Grey Ghost 05-Apr-23
PushCoArcher 05-Apr-23
Pop-r 05-Apr-23
14-Mar-23
Have heard it's not looking good for the elk,deer and antelope in the western states.

14-Mar-23
Eastern Montana not good. Blowing and drifting snow with ice on top of more snow. Most of my deer herds have disappeared but haven't been able to get out to see why. Birds are dwindling also. Guess upside is should be green this year...

14-Mar-23
Does "not looking good" mean winter die-off due to snow levels? In Arizona, we have had much more precipitation and snow than normal, but we very rarely (if ever) approach depths that would cause a die-off. For antler growth, the weather patterns and rain levels have been about the best in my memory. Should be a great year for those with elk tags.

14-Mar-23
Lots of extra roadkill in areas with deep snow. Will have lower animalsmnumbers in many areas for sure.

14-Mar-23
I’m in eastern oregon not far from Idaho and we are fine. Could even use a little more snow to be honest.

14-Mar-23

Bowboy's Link
Got this from the Western Wyoming biologist. The antelope & deer are hurting.

14-Mar-23
Not good, not good at all…

14-Mar-23
Utah has been hammered hard! Driving up the canyon from Springville a couple weeks ago towards Price I counted at least 13 dead elk on side of the road and countless deer. Was sad to see. Have heard reports or large numbers starved out as well.

14-Mar-23
Big game wildlife in Northwest Colorado are condensing in the last sections of winter range refuge, trying to find any vegetation and grazing areas not buried in snow.

Wildlife typically move from higher to lower elevations when the weather turns colder, going from the mountains to the valleys, and from Routt County west toward Moffat County, said Kyle Bond, Colorado Parks and Wildlife district wildlife manager in the Steamboat Springs area.

This year’s heavy snowfall, prolonged snow on the ground and continued cold temperatures are stressing wildlife. Deeper snow in more traditional winter range areas is making it difficult for wildlife to move from one area to another in search of food, with the worst threat to fawns. More wildlife have been seen and hit on roads as the animals look for easier pathways, according to Parks and Wildlife officials.

“Big game animals are using roadways for travel to and from feeding grounds, which is leading to an increase in collisions on both country roads and highways,” said Rachael Gonzales, a public information officer for Colorado Parks and Wildlife.

In two separate accidents in mid-January, 35 pronghorns on U.S. Highway 40 near Dinosaur were hit by a semi-truck, and 18 pronghorns were hit by a pickup on a county road near Craig. Officials urge motorists not to drive distracted, slow down and pay close attention to the surroundings, especially during dawn and dusk.

In an attempt to reduce public safety hazards, Parks and Wildlife officials are conducting limited, small-scale big game baiting to lure animals away from roads, highways and human conflicts. Gonzales stressed that the temporary baiting in Moffat County is not a sustained feeding program and citizens should not set out feed.

Parks and Wildlife officials say nature is taking its normal course on the wildlife population this winter.

A cow elk walks on the roadway just outside of Steamboat Springs. Elk are one of many large game animals looking for an easier path this deep snow winter. Colorado Parks and Wildlife officials urge drivers to slow down and use extra caution especially at dusk and dawn.

“Deep snow has made it difficult for wildlife to access vegetation, leading to starvation and in some cases death,” according to a statement from Parks and Wildlife.

The shorter an animal’s legs are, the harder that animal must work to survive harsher winters.

“Pronghorn fawns are typically the first to die, then deer fawns followed by elk calves and finally adults,” Gonzales explained.

Parks and Wildlife officials say the 2007-08 winter was the toughest for wildlife during the past 20 years, followed by the winters of 2010-11 and 2016-17. Consequences to big game from this winter will not be known until April or May, but scavenger animals such as eagles and fox may be benefitting.

Parks and Wildlife officials also want to remind residents that feeding wildlife is illegal and can do more harm than good.

“Seeing animals in poor body condition or starving is hard,” Bond said. “We know people mean well when they try to help. Unfortunately, that desire to help can be more harmful. It is hard to sit back and watch, but the reality is this is nature.”

A moose stands in the middle of U.S. Highway 40 near the base of Rabbit Ears Pass on Friday, Feb. 3, 2023. Wildlife encounters like this one can be more frequent in the winter months, as the animals often use plowed roads to move from one area to another. John F. Russell/Steamboat Pilot & Today Wildlife such as deer and elk have complex digestive systems that are not adapted to handle human food, hay, alfalfa or straw. Feeding wildlife also can attract predators and increase the spread of wildlife diseases, according to Parks and Wildlife.

As winter worsened in December and January, Parks and Wildlife officers observed big game animals concentrated together in river bottom areas and near roadways as well as increasing conflicts such as elk getting into livestock feed on private lands, said Mike Swaro, an assistant area wildlife manager in the Moffat County area.

Parks and Wildlife officials request that citizens do their part to help wildlife survive. When humans or dogs encounter wildlife, the animals feel threatened and often run to escape perceived danger and burn calories needed to survive. People recreating should find less busy trails, give wildlife plenty of space, always honor trail closures and keep dogs on a leash and under control.

Steamboat Springs Parks and Wildlife officials report an uptick in sightings of wildlife in residential areas and around town this winter.

“We’ve seen an increase in calls reporting wildlife in neighborhoods asking what they can do to keep them from eating their ornamental trees and shrubbery,” said Christy Bubenheim, an administrative assistant for Parks and Wildlife. “We’re encouraging people to embrace the opportunity to see wildlife, being sure to give them space.”

Bubenheim said additional fencing or wildlife repellent products such as Plantskydd may be an option to dissuade wildlife if necessary.

This story is from SteamboatPilot.com.

14-Mar-23
My family in WY said it’s bad….worst they’ve seen in a while. They expect a moderate deer/antelope winter kill

15-Mar-23

bowhunt's embedded Photo
bowhunt's embedded Photo
Looks like Oregon is at at between 113 to 149 percent of “normal” or “median”

Don’t know how it will effect deer and elk in different areas, but spring bear will probably be a little slow to start this year.

15-Mar-23
It's great for the drought but terrible for the wintering wildlife.

This whole week is more rain and snow as it comes across on the Pineapple Express from Hawaii.

I've got a Mid-Utah photo/scouting look see trip planned for next week.

I've got till 4pm today to cancel my Airbnb for 100% refund as they are calling for 50%--75% rain again next week!!

More than likely Tag cuts across the board, in the Rocky Mnt. states.

Good luck, Robb

15-Mar-23
these are the credentials of the reporter in the link bowboy posted above.

"Billy Arnold has been covering the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem and the people who manage it since January 2022. He previously spent two years covering Teton County government, and a year editing Scene. "

Quite the experience and background.

15-Mar-23
I havent seen anything about Whitetail being affected in Wyoming. Anyone have any idea how the Central Portion of the state is doing as far as whitetail? I would assume they have moved as low as possible, but have only seen reports on mule deer, no whitetail updates.

15-Mar-23
North central MN is really bad. We have about 26 inches on the ground and last weekend received another 16 1/4 inches.

Watched a deer the other day - as soon as it stepped off the trail the snow was well up on it belly - it really struggled to walk.

I'm sure the timber wolves are feasting for sure.

16-Mar-23
I was thinking there will be a lot of fat wolves in wyoming too.

16-Mar-23
Here a recent article on NW Colorado herds.

https://www.gjsentinel.com/news/winter-taking-heavy-wildlife-toll-in-northwest-colorado/article_f9430384-bf96-11ed-8644-5b5182ff96ca.html?fbclid=IwAR0a9Q_Qx5lYSOHLlCAN2sdwLxQYVW3J4zcTpDKd0jKXGkAVEIehuotLYF0

16-Mar-23
Wyoming season proposals came out today. Greatly reduced antelope tags and deer quotas. They totally removed tags in some deer areas.

It is a start.

16-Mar-23
Where can you see those proposals?

16-Mar-23

wyobullshooter's Link
Here ya go HUNT.

21-Mar-23
Finally got to talk with the local CPW staff in NW Colorado, the herds are taking a beating real bad, worst they've seen since the 90's. The young deer/elk are the hardest hit & Pronghorn over all age classes. Their concerns are the next 40+ days with what the weather will do, and it's dumping another 12" or more right now with more predicted in the next couple weeks. They are only feed baiting currently to keep the wildlife from the cattle. Still waiting to hear from the CPW region area staff around North Park, sounds like they may have some of the similar issues as the NW region. With April being one of the snowiest months and April 4th being the dead line for applications it's hard to decide what I want to do, might just have to plan for next year or another state.

21-Mar-23

21-Mar-23
Thanks for the video link, Brad.

21-Mar-23

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Talked to my son this evening. He had to go to Craig today for work. He saw this calf elk browsing on branches on his way there.

On his way back he took this pic.

21-Mar-23
Really wish the animals would be getting a break right now with some warmer "spring" temps but instead they're getting pounded with more snow this week.

22-Mar-23
Wy Teton range elk tags cut by 90%

22-Mar-23
Northern Utah is getting slaughtered.

The whole state has very high levels of snow.

I believe the deer from about the middle of Utah, south, are fairing out just fine. A lot of winter ground down that way. Up north, not so much. Our elk in the north are suffering too.

Very much a double edged sword. We need the water. I love to snowmobile.

Guess I’d better get a few more rides in and enjoy the snow since we won’t have any deer left in some places. But our deer in Utah have been doing very poorly for about 5 years now.

25-Mar-23

Mule Power's embedded Photo
A friend from Alpine Wyoming sent these today. And to think this is un the valley. I can’t imagine what it’s like in the high country.

27-Mar-23
I have spent quite a bit of time recently out taking photos. Winter has been brutal in Utah and Western Wyoming. I have seen many animals that have died or were on their deathbeds. So sad to see and witness, and the weather just keeps happening. Last year at this time where I live it was near 80 degrees. This year it's been over 40 degrees below normal most days and snowing a great part of each week. Sure hope it will at least turn to rain, as the animals that are left are almost at their end. The mountains east of me, where I spend a great deal of time photographing in the summer are nearing 800 inches of snow. It's the largest snowfall on record in many of the areas in Wyoming and Utah.

Good luck. BB

27-Mar-23

SBH's embedded Photo
SBH's embedded Photo
Brutal. We got another 32" of snow this weekend in SW MT. The animals are struggling and could really use a break. Count me in for needing a breather too, haven't seen the sun for a week. Last year it was 68 on this day and we had no snow in the yard. Crazy.

27-Mar-23
Game herds are suffering in northwest Colorado. Significant license reductions are proposed for the Bears Ears DAU and the White River DAU as well as the Great Divide DAU. 40% or more are mentioned. We’ll, considering Maybell had 80 inches of snow this year, it’s to be expected. Disappointment on the horizon for hunters that don’t change plans.

27-Mar-23
^^^ where are you seeing the proposed tag reductions?

27-Mar-23
Game herds are suffering in northwest Colorado. Significant license reductions are proposed for the Bears Ears DAU and the White River DAU as well as the Great Divide DAU. 40% or more are mentioned. We’ll, considering Maybell had 80 inches of snow this year, it’s to be expected. Disappointment on the horizon for hunters that don’t change plans.

28-Mar-23

cnelk's Link
Here’s a latest press release - see link

28-Mar-23

Whocares's embedded Photo
Whocares's embedded Photo
Can't be very good in north central MN either. Over 20" snow with a hard crust now so wolves and coyotes run on top easily. More snow forecast. Been a much slower melt up here than normal. Here's my driveway this weekend.

30-Mar-23
I get a local WY publication daily email, they are estimating 80% winter kill of Pronghorn and deer in S and S central WY. That's catastrophic, we're talking 6-8 years from now for trophy potential.

This global warming sure is killing a bunch of critters. Worse winter than '49 the old timers say.

31-Mar-23
What are the odds of the CPW being able to delay the wolf drop due to the winter kill?

31-Mar-23
Sivart, I think the odds of that are zero.

31-Mar-23

Bowboy's Link
Wyoming isn’t looking good for antelope and deer herds. Even the Governor is involved.

31-Mar-23
Everyone. I mean everyone should take notes about this winter of 22/23. Because it will be one that will be talked about in the future

31-Mar-23
Spoke w/dow in meeker co. This morn. Said no suggestion to board to limit archery or muzzle loader tags. Sounds crazy if things r as bad as discussed.

31-Mar-23
If CO doesn't at least cut their deer tags, I will lose what little hope I have left in that state.

31-Mar-23

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
I spent a little time on the National Weather Service website reviewing historic snowfall data in different areas of Wyoming. 2023 is shaping up to rank near the top for some areas, but not for others.

For example, in the Casper area 2019-2020 had a total of 107.2" of snowfall. So far, they have had a total of 94.7" this year. April can obviously bring some more, but it generally averages around 10". So, the Casper area is going to have a very similar snowfall year to 2019-2020. High but not necessarily a record.

The Wamsutter area is setting a new record. They've had 101" this winter. The previous high was 92.2" in 2015-2016.

The Rock Springs area is right about at their average snowfall with 37.2"

I guess my point is, it isn't all doom and gloom everywhere. The south central part of Wyoming got the worst of the snowfall. In other areas, it's been above average, but nothing excessive.

31-Mar-23
Winter is still hanging on in North Dakota. Getting tired of it. At least the potholes should have water this fall for ducks and geese.

31-Mar-23
It isn't exactly the depth of the snow... it is how LONG the snow has been covering the forage, how hard the snow is... and also bitter cold for extended periods.

01-Apr-23
The areas hit hardest in Colorado are all OTC units for 2nd and 3rd Rifle elk seasons. How can they reduce permits for that? Isn't that when most of the elk harvest occurs in those units? Too late to convert it to the draw process now unless they add a special draw.

01-Apr-23
The impression I'm getting is that there may or may not be more snow than usual up high, but that the low country has snow on the ground both for longer duration and greater depth than usual. I believe that most observation sites used to determine the NRCS SWE levels, are typically in the high country, because that will be the best measure of long-term moisture for those areas. Regardless of whether or not that is true, you can look above and see that all 6 basins in southern and southwest WY have (or likely have) in excess of 132% SWE. They don't track the Great Divide Basin, since technically it has no outlet.

Having said that, it seems like there are certain areas that are getting just hammered, and certain that will be just fine. The problem is that animals in the areas getting hammered either can't get to the areas that haven't been hit as hard or they just aren't aware that there might be better options available to them.

01-Apr-23
"The areas hit hardest in Colorado are all OTC units for 2nd and 3rd Rifle elk seasons."

What areas are you talking about?

01-Apr-23

AZ8's embedded Photo
AZ8's embedded Photo
The pattern “might” be finally changing, precipitation wise. Fingers crossed you guys catch a break.

01-Apr-23
As a clarification, my post above was generally in reference to the Rocky Mountain areas. Basically all information out there points to the Sierra Nevada having a near-cataclysmic winter.

01-Apr-23

Aspen Ghost's Link
Grey Ghost - see the map in the article cnelk posted. I'll reattach it here too.

01-Apr-23

Aspen Ghost, I saw that map. Those units have had a hard winter, but the SW part of Colorado has been worse. Colorado has been a tale of two halves. The eastern half has had a very normal snowfall winter, the western half is well above average.

Overall, I think I'd rather have the much needed water in the high country, even at the expense of some wildlife mortality. Droughts are equally hard on wildlife, if not more so, IMO.

Matt

01-Apr-23
Does anyone have any info on dieoffs in Southern Utah around the Moab area? I have heard Northern Utah is pretty bad.

01-Apr-23

Buglemaster's embedded Photo
Buglemaster's embedded Photo
Today from a friend north west of Yampa . Route natl forest…

01-Apr-23
Good gracious... now the puppies are dying off! ????

01-Apr-23

01-Apr-23

Bigdog 21's embedded Photo
Bigdog 21's embedded Photo

01-Apr-23

Thornton's embedded Photo
Thornton's embedded Photo
Let's leave Wyoming alone this year guys. Too many game animals have already died.

02-Apr-23
As admirable as that sounds you know it won’t happen…

02-Apr-23
Did the snow stop at Wy border? Nw Co must have got hit hard as well?

02-Apr-23
My question. Was plowing access areas an option over the winter?

02-Apr-23
A couple of reports from WY. Its really really bad this year. . https://cowboystatedaily.com/2023/03/29/dying-by-the-thousands-miles-of-death-as-wyoming-antelope-deer-and-elk-die-from-winter-starvation/ . And one more report.

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2023/03/30/gordon-calls-emergency-meeting-to-discuss-wildlife-starvation-1000s-of-pinedale-area-deer-expected-to-die/

02-Apr-23
Some Colorado history: The severe winter of 1978 -1979 offered the first opportunity to test a pelletized food ration formula developed by researchers from the Division of Wildlife, which had split from Parks in 1973. An aggressive feeding program successfully reduced potentially high winter mortality.

02-Apr-23
CPW plans to cut NW Colorado hunting licenses by more than 40% to protect challenged herds March 28, 2023 Colorado, The Denver Post

... Thousands of elk, deer and antelope have been migrating out of northwestern Colorado due to hard winter conditions and many have died of starvation ... Multiple factors including persistent summer drought conditions and above-average snowfall during the winter led to poor conditions for animals...

02-Apr-23
Paul, do you have any information on exactly how the CPW is going to cut 40% of licenses in OTC areas? Thanks.

Matt

02-Apr-23
Matt, I do not. This report was from the Denver Post. Might be across the board, ie, rifle, ml and archery. The draft numbers will be posted just prior to the May Commission meeting.

02-Apr-23
Thanks, Paul.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with. It seems the limited draw tags could easily be cut, but the OTC tags are a different animal. I suppose they could limit the total number of OTC tags statewide, which I wouldn't mind, but I'm not sure how they'd implement that. Would it be first come first serve on OTC tags? Can you imagine what a sh!t show that could become?

02-Apr-23
Or they could just eliminate the 2nd and 3rd season OTC Rifle tags in those units that have Rifle OTC for 2nd and 3rd season and draw for everything else. Leave the draw tags in place as is (or reduced in number if they feel that is needed too).

Any other option has bigger problems.

02-Apr-23
Aspen Ghost, I agree, eliminating entire OTC seasons is about the only way I see it working. Unfortunately, given the CPWs track record with bowhunting, I wouldn't be surprised if the archery OTC season was the first to get eliminated.

02-Apr-23
"Does anyone have any info on dieoffs in Southern Utah around the Moab area? I have heard Northern Utah is pretty bad."

I wouldn't expect it to be much worse than any other normal year.

02-Apr-23
Yea, if you look at the OTC rife elk units in that NW area, only units 201/1/2/ 10 are draw, the rest, the majority, are otc rifle in the second and third season.

When it comes to archery and ml elk, the majority of those same units are Draw except on private property only for archery.

It would be easy to cut the hell out of archery/Ml draw elk tags. (both success % is lower than rifle) How to limit OTC rifle elk tags, if at all, will be the question.

Maybe just eliminate all of the elk seasons in the NW this season to be "fair" to everyone, if there is a concern, about major winter survival of elk. I doubt if that will happen. Yep, just wait and see.

02-Apr-23
Colorado is going to lose a ton of deer. Deer seasons in the NW and SW should be canceled to allow for recovery.

Elk can make it through tough conditions but this year is bad.

Should cut NR deer & antelope draw tags and NR OTC elk tags completely across the board to minimize the secondary hunting impacts to the deer and elk herds. Could do a late NR draw once the mortality rates are known in May.

No way CPW will ever do that because they are addicted to the NR dollars. The ripple effect of this winter will cause years of bad hunting in Colorado. The population growth and wolves will not help. May never recover.

02-Apr-23
Wow... calling for 8-12" snow tonight here in our area of WY and more cold!

02-Apr-23
Here in central Colorado, we've been under Red Flag fire warnings for a week due to windy dry conditions. There's more antelope around than I've seen in 25 years. The deer and elk are all doing fine. Turkeys seem to be making a small comeback from recent years. It's been a strange winter, for sure.

Matt

03-Apr-23
Was at the Denver CPW office today. I asked them if there's any talk of somehow limiting the OTC tags in units being affected in the Northwest and Southwest winter kill . They said no, but the limited licenses are going to see big cuts in those areas.

Really wish they'd figure out a way to limit the OTC tags given if people are going to hunt the units most affected by winter kill. Instead they'll just take the NR's cash like always. Kill em all CPW!

03-Apr-23
So limited archery, limited ML, for deer, elk, pronghorn and limited first rifle elk. Yep, no way to limit or cut back OTC tags unless the just eliminated the OTC elk season.

03-Apr-23
Eliminate at least NR cow tags for all weapons. They should have enough revenue from NR to get them by several years.

03-Apr-23
The one silver lining of recent CPW actions is that by making the NR cow tags the same price as bull tags, I think the demand will drop significantly. Still probably not zero, but hopefully minimal cows will be harvested in areas with the most impactful winterkill.

03-Apr-23
The seasons that kill the most elk are the ones that should be limited especially in the areas that have the worst winter kill. If your purpose is to save the elk.

03-Apr-23
They could limit OTC if they manage it like they do over the counter bear tags, with caps as to how many tags for each unit, first come first gets.

05-Apr-23
GG your Casper thoughts went down the drain. They're going to end up with dramatically more snow than you anticipated.

05-Apr-23
Pop-r, Casper is in central Wyoming, not Colorado.

05-Apr-23
Wyobs'r are you really ignorant enough to believe that I'm that ignorant? I'm still trying to figure out the relevance of your statement in response to mine.

05-Apr-23
Pop-r,

You are correct, this last storm was a doozy for Casper, and will throw my predictions out the window.

That said, I still think the worst of the winter has been confined to only certain areas, and not statewide. I know that's been the case for Colorado. We got barely a dusting of snow out this last cold front in my neck of the woods.

Matt

05-Apr-23
My brother lives in Casper and said a lot of antelope died. Was told from a reliable source that there wil definitely be more quota cuts. They specifically mentioned type 6 tags in 71 and 72 units just west of Casper.

05-Apr-23
Bad deal.

• Sitka Gear