shane 16-Mar-23
Medicinemann 16-Mar-23
Hunter's Granddad 17-Mar-23
Medicinemann 17-Mar-23
midwest 17-Mar-23
Will 17-Mar-23
JB 17-Mar-23
16-Mar-23
I wanted to share a recent experience, in case it might help other Bowsiters. I have suffered from mild hearing loss since my EOS from the Navy back in the 1970's. In the past few years, it has definitely deteriorated even more. I contacted a local veterans representative, and found out that I was eligible for hearing aids. I was fitted for the hearing aids and received them about 3 weeks ago. They are amazing!! As I was driving home from the VA hospital, my truck was infrequently making a noise that really got me worried......it was my turn signals!! It was only then that I realized that I had never heard them.....and I have had that truck for several years now. I received Oticon hearing aids. I'm sure that there are several good brands out there. I just wanted to share my personal experience....it has been a very pleasant surprise. Not only did I get rechargeable hearings aids that don't require the frequent changing of batteries, but with the proper smartphone app, they are bluetooth compatible. One of my nieces is an audiologist. She recently informed me that Oticon has recently released a new model that has improved sound suppression for loud noises (think gunshots, etc) as well as improved capabilities to effectively manage the sound of wind when outdoors. Not only that, I figured that since I had waited so long to notify the VA about my hearing, that I would not receive any help. WRONG. Get this.....not only did I get the hearing aids.....it is classified as a service connected disability, I now have PX privileges AND I will receive a monthly stipend for the rest of my life. Here's is the most amazing part....I had absolutely NO way to prove if/when my military service compromised my hearing. It didn't matter.....in such cases, the military defaults to a positive outcome for the veteran, unless they can prove otherwise!! If you are a veteran, and you have hearing loss and you haven't considered contacting the VA, I urge you to consider doing so now..... If you aren't a veteran, but your hearing has definitely worsened, I still want to urge you to consider getting evaluated for hearing aids. These little buggers have definitely made it easier for me to hear. I want to offer one disclaimer.....since getting the hearing aids, I have NOT spent a lot of time in a restaurant or public dwelling with a lot of background noise. I don't know how well I'll be able to understand people in a conversation if the background noise is amplified as well.

16-Mar-23
I recently got a pair of Signia hearing aids. Had the audiologist program a "hunt mode" as well.

Like you Jake, driving home with them in the first time, I could hear all these little noises of things rattling around in the truck I'd never heard before. lol

Can't wait to wear them for an elk hunt!

16-Mar-23
I've had them for a few years now. What a difference. My loss was from working in construction way before "safety" equipment. For a long time I told my long-suffering wife that I hear just what I want to hear. Didn't realize how much I was missing.

16-Mar-23
Same experience here Jake except my damage was no muffler Farm tractors and lots of civilian gunfire. I have had the programmable Phonak units and they're great. Durable and reliable.

16-Mar-23
Jake, you should be able to have a program that focuses directionally and partially mutes background noise, if you want. I use my second program as "hunt mode" instead, because that's more important to me than background noise.

When your rechargeable batteries finally start getting to the point where they don't last all day, do the math. For me, buying regular batteries in bulk from my Audiologist was a way less expensive option, and I didn't need to rely on having 110 all the time in hunting, fishing, and scouting camps. They last about 2 weeks for me (I turn them off at night and whenever I don't need them).

16-Mar-23
How much $?

16-Mar-23
Get mine from the VA and work good, they said "you cannot hear the female voice" so that sealed it, had to happen.

16-Mar-23
Jaquomo, The charger unit actually stores enough of a charge to recharge the hearing aids several times before the charger unit would need to be recharged....but you bring up a point that I need to consider as I acclimate to these things.....I don't know if I can turn them off, if in a remote area, hoping to extend their "life" until returning to a 110 source. I have a follow up appt in April that should be able to answer that question. I also want to know if the little charger unit can function on batteries when a 110 source isn't available, or if the charger can be recharged by a variation of a hotshot type of device, which would really extend its life (and doesn't take up much space). Additionally, by the time these units lose their ability to last an entire day before recharging is necessary, I'll probably be eligible for free replacements. Nonetheless, it will be interesting to see how long it takes for them to fade to a point where replacing them is required. I also definitely need to check out this "hunt mode" that Nick and you mention.

16-Mar-23
Jake, thanks to our PM’s a couple weeks ago, I made an appointment with audiology…something I should have done years ago. Thanks again for the nudge! ;-)

16-Mar-23

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Mine have several settings for different environments and directional hearing as well. My rechargeable case will recharge my aids for several days. There are buttons on the aids that will turn them on and off and, yes, I can charge the case by plugging into the usb port of a portable charger.

16-Mar-23
Just what I was hoping to "hear" (excuse the pun)!! Unfortunately, my Droid Razr is an old enough model that they don't have an app for it.....so a trip to Verizon is in order. Probably all for the best though, as my glass display has been cracked for a couple years now.

16-Mar-23
I've had 5 pairs over the past several years. Mine came from Costco - the Costco audiologist there was great. They have a 3 year "unconditional" warranty - loose them, break them - makes no difference - you get new ones.

4nolz, these last ones cost me $2,700.00 with an "extended life" charger - with just the regular, overnight, charger it would have been $1,700.00. I also have the phone app - I sure like midwest's phone app better than mine tho. I will be checking into that app next time I'm in Costco.

16-Mar-23
I have had the Oticon now for almost 18 months. I have gotten up to 20 hours out of them, less if I am on the phone alot. The audiologist suggested the rechargeable instead of the battery version becuase swet didn't effect them as much as battery version. I have had no isssues out of them. They sure are not cheap though.

16-Mar-23
Shane, What type of smartphone are you using......droid or iphone? What model?

17-Mar-23
My dad had hearing issues and bought some hearing aid, but they didn't help him. The main reason was he waited to late to get hearing aids and his word recognition was very low. Word recognition is something you don't get back with hearing aid. He then went to cochlear implants and now he hears great. He told me he hadn't hear a bird in years and now he can. My doctor told me I could stop the word recognition loss by wearing hearing aid. I've been wearing them for 10 years and my word recognition is still 100%. My hearing aids have a restaurant program that doesn't pick up sounds behind me. I need to have them programed for hearing a turkey gobble better. : )

17-Mar-23
Hunter's Granddad, During my hearing evaluation, they actually gave me a specialized set of headphones which put one speaker on an ear, and the other side was placed directly behind the ear. When the test was done, they switched it around and tested the other ear the same way. It was to measure bone conductivity. It was impressive to learn how well I could hear when the test was performed that way. I was told that my hearing loss was moderate in one ear, and severe in the other.......but not poor enough to justify the surgery for cochlear implant surgery. I met a retired Air Force vet that had the implant surgery, and he said that once it was completed, he could hear the "whoosh" of a golf ball strike as the club slices through the grass and makes contact with the ball....he was elated, and said that he hadn't heard that sound in decades.

17-Mar-23
I had that same test, Jake. Was amazed how I could hear with that device pressed behind the ear.

17-Mar-23
My kids like their Oticon's a lot, they work really well. Good to hear it's been helpful to you!

17-Mar-23
Jake - 1st of all thank you for your service. Glad you are getting treated as you should be. They took good care of my father who is a vet with serious hearing loss.

2nd - thank you for the info!

• Sitka Gear