APauls 20-Mar-23
Bigdog 21 21-Mar-23
RK 21-Mar-23
TGbow 21-Mar-23
JohnMC 21-Mar-23
APauls 21-Mar-23
JohnMC 21-Mar-23
17-Mar-23
Does anyone use drones for off-season scouting? Any tips to make good use of drones during the off season to help future bow hunting efforts?

17-Mar-23
I would think it would be harassing wildlife. Spook more game then what it's worth.

17-Mar-23
I use mine to look for sheds, and to find winter kill.

17-Mar-23
I cringe to see where the future is going. What happened to walking?

17-Mar-23
I guess you'll have to change your handle to "Muddylens"?

17-Mar-23
I would think it'd be awesome for seeing the network of game trails during late winter/early spring.

17-Mar-23

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
In the snow they are outstanding for evaluating your property. I got this property this past fall. I found things I had no idea were there as I have not spent a pile of time walking it. Things just POP out.

17-Mar-23
Yup. At my NY property there’s no walking with 3’ of snow and I can spot deer yards and winter kills easily. Gonna fly it this weekend.

17-Mar-23
No doubt it's easier and more efficient. But if you consider that the end result is to provide meat to eat, it's WAY easier and more efficient to just go and buy it. Save a lot of time and effort. ;-)

17-Mar-23
Probably won't spook much from 400' up.

17-Mar-23
Easier more efficient sure there are. But we all mostly do it be we enjoy it. Nothing wrong with some one checking out their hunting property months before season with a drone. During season I agree not in favor but after the season no harm no foul IMO.

17-Mar-23
Adam that place looks awesome!

17-Mar-23
Dammit, Adam! You're harassing all the deer!

17-Mar-23
The new ways, soon it won't be called hunting.

17-Mar-23
Big dog I guess I agree with you that using a drone six month before season is not hunting and that is why I have no problem with it.

17-Mar-23
Big dog. That's what the Indians (native Americans) said when gunpowder was invented

It was never called hunting again.

You my friend are a prodigy

17-Mar-23
Can you retrofit some type on rangefinding device on these drones to measure the total acreage of the land you’re surveying, so you’re not over paying for more acres than you’re actually leasing?

17-Mar-23
Muddyboots- after taking the drone shots I did 3 miles of walking in literally knee deep snow post holing each step. I hope that is good enough for you.

17-Mar-23
“The new ways, soon it won't be called hunting.”

So, you’re one of those guys that still hunts in bare feet, a loin cloth, and an atlatl? That’s badass!!!

17-Mar-23
Well I do still hunt with a bow I made, I don't need a cell cam are any pic to tell me if deer are traveling we're I hunt, I don't need a drone to find the trails, and I sure don't need a outfitter to do the hunting for me witch would just make me the executioner.

17-Mar-23
Damn bigdog.

17-Mar-23
I like summer scouting bachelor herds in my plane. Tried a drone about 6 years ago on various properties and wasn't fond of the range or clarity, but it appears they have improved.

17-Mar-23
T-roy get a plat book from your county office shows the acres and boundaries.

17-Mar-23
Sorry but this is how things get started. something simple just flying around.. but it will just get pushed to the limite and next you know they will be flying over while your trying to hunt are buzzing deer to run them there way. Just like a. x bow it starts no stopping it.

17-Mar-23
I guess I should have added the ;-) to my post….

18-Mar-23
Big dog," Sign Of The Times" :>)

18-Mar-23
T-roy, Google "draftlogic area calculator". It's very precise when I compared it to surveys.

18-Mar-23
Would one of you guys that shed hunt with them post a pic of ehat they look look like from the air? And are all of you licensed pilots, or has that changed, or is that just for people making money with them?

18-Mar-23
I guess I need to take that laser off of my sooper dooper 1,000 fps crossbow that cocks with an electric winch. If I take the transport wheels off I’ll have to drag it though…….

18-Mar-23
"I cringe to see where the future is going. What happened to walking?"

“The new ways, soon it won't be called hunting.”

"Well I do still hunt with a bow I made, I don't need a cell cam are any pic to tell me if deer are traveling we're I hunt, I don't need a drone to find the trails, and I sure don't need a outfitter to do the hunting for me witch would just make me the executioner."

Well said gentlemen,,, X2 I concur...

19-Mar-23
Last season during gun season for deer, my cousin was up in a tree stand. He said a drone came by him, just above the trees. He put the crosshairs on it and thought about shooting it down but he didn't shoot. Turned out it was the electric company's drone. The lady that lives on the property said she got her shotgun out and was getting ready to shoot when she saw the electric truck.

19-Mar-23
Guys these days don’t even dry sinew for bowstrings. Always taking the easy route.

I think it’s just human nature to want things to stay the way they are when you have your own personal glory years.

Why teach kids how to type they should just write by hand. Let’s ignore the fact that the world moves on.

19-Mar-23
But not all changes are for the good.

20-Mar-23
When is drone season? Does anyone have any good recipes?

20-Mar-23
As Bowsniper did, I think it's important to distinguish between off-season scouting and during-season scouting. The latter would be a bit questionable as I'm sure most would agree on. I don't see a big deal with using a drone in off-season to glean some geographic or herd intel that is not easily done by boots on the ground. Moreover, one could make the argument that use of a drone is 100% LESS intrusive to the wildlife than being out there bumping them around....

My only experience with a drone: A few summers ago I allowed a guy to come with me to film some bachelor groups with his drone (he asked and I was honestly intrigued). He had one of the better drones at the time for optical zoom capability. It only took a few minutes to locate deer in tall field vegetation (no tree cover), in a secluded area which I couldn't see into by glassing. Some of the bucks which we located, I had been glassing for all summer, and had not yet seen up to that point. But afterwards something felt off to me, almost as if I had "cheated" at scouting? Granted summer time glassing/ scouting is more for fun than to actually aid at hunting come fall; there's still something old-school and pure about scouting via boots on the ground and glassing. I mean... fighting off mosquitoes as the sun slowly fades while waiting on a big velvet buck to break the shadows is most enjoyable!

Now, I've I got a buddy that just sold a regular drone and picked up a thermal drone. I had seen videos on YouTube of the thermal drone deer recovery, and even though they are edited videos, you can tell it drastically reduces the time to locate deer (especially in foliage/ tree cover). My buddy confirmed this. He found a "target" buck in minutes out in a swamp, quite a ways from the usual bedding spot on an overgrown powerline (note: this was during February). Does that give him some intel that might make hunting that deer easier this coming fall? Maybe... maybe not. IF he did that in October...yep!

I know I've gone off on a bit of a tangent here, but I think this drone use topic will be very relevant in the near future, if not already.

I do wonder if it's only a matter of time before we see every state (many already have) enact regulations specifically prohibiting the use of drones for wildlife surveillance, at least during open-seasons, since they can certainly provide (some) users a means for surveillance in a manner that is not 'fair chase'. And it could be difficult to argue that scouting doesn't involve locating game in some fashion, right?

With all that said, I think drones can serve a valuable purpose when it comes to surveillance uses such as herd counts/ density studies, winter kill survey etc. Thermal drone deer recovery also seems pretty logical to me. Dare I say....they could replacing tracking dogs for most (not all) tracking needs... I know...gasp! Try to argue that one.

20-Mar-23
You're fooling yourself if you think guys would use drones for deer recovery, but not for in-season scouting/hunting. I think they should be outlawed during hunting seasons, period.

Matt

20-Mar-23
Hunting is becoming a lazy mans activity, sad but true. The boot companies have got to hating itlol.

20-Mar-23
GG

On Public or Private or Both

20-Mar-23
Pretty sure in alot of states it is illegal. No elect. Tracking devises. Allowed here.

20-Mar-23
GG I totally agree with you that there would be a lot of use in-season, and so outlawing use in-season makes sense. The problem will be enforcement. Drones are becoming cheaper and more capable by the day. Certainly not everyone can afford a $5-8K (low end) thermal drone, but many drones with decent range and camera feed can be had for mere few hundreds dollars. And good luck seeing/hearing them over private lands and in remote areas.

I could see thermal recovery being on the docket for many states to review real soon. I think it has a place and could be here to stay, like it or not.

20-Mar-23
RK, Both.

20-Mar-23
No way to enforce it on private and it would take valuable resources away from real wildlife law enforcement.

20-Mar-23
I had a youth hunter out this fall on public land during the 2nd IL shotgun season and we heard a drone buzzing around. It was grid searching the area and when it came over us it hovered around for quite awhile. It finally left only to come straight back to us about 20 minutes before dark and hover over us again for 10 minutes. Totally ruined the kids hunt - no doubt the owner was harassing us. Still pisses me off.

20-Mar-23
RK, why would it be any less enforceable than other hunting regulations that apply to both public and private property?

Matt

20-Mar-23
^^Sounds like logic.

For arguments sake here's another thing to ponder: A good, "old school hunter" or tracker would be able to walk your piece of ground and tell you a heck of a lot more than any drone could. EVEN a thermal drone. He can walk your property and tell you where a mature buck is bedding, likely what wind he is using, which way he moves after he leaves his bed, likely how he enters his bed, and where he is likely feeding when he leaves his bed. A drone can only give you information that is a one singular snapshot in time. Just because that buck is right there right now, doesn't necessarily mean he'll ever be there again. He could have been chased by a hunter, dogs, wolves or coyotes and is right now (the moment you see him on a drone) in a completely unusual location. Only boots on the ground could verify what you see via drone. Or many repeated drone usages.

A good woodsman can tell you how and where the local doe groups operate, and what a good strategy would be to kill a desired buck based on all these above movements. He can tell this things simply by reading sign, and what is laid out on the ground. Much like mature buck can come along and smell who has been where and for how long.

Yet I've never ever heard of anyone having anything against hiring an old school hunter, or many of today's "Consultants" as being unethical. Yet for some money, that person can tell you more than any drone could. End result is the same. Info for money, and it's more and better info "the old school way" though it likely put more pressure on the deer obtaining it. So what's more unethical - hiring Don Higgins or a Wensel brother to look at your property, or flying a drone?

They are two different mediums of obtaining information. And like it or not, both will have heavy uses of technology baked in. An old school woodsman will likely drive to your farm in a modern vehicle, use paper maps (created by higher technology) or phone apps to show you what and where he found items. So if you think as an old school woodsman today you are one step removed from a 1500's plains Indian I think you are sorely mistaken. Tech is so baked into our lives that we can not say we have adopted tech.

20-Mar-23
I think reading sign is a skill every hunter should have, or strive to learn. Sign reading consultants? Is that really a thing?

Matt

20-Mar-23
Habitat Consultants is HUGE business in the US. Never heard of one in Canada.

20-Mar-23
I would be embarrassed to hire a "habitat consultant" to help me read wildlife sign. Who does that?

20-Mar-23
Well they are called trackers in Africa and tge PHs hire them to track game At PH school they bring them in to teach the young want to be PHs to track

Dads are not hired but they teach young hunters to read sign

Very few if any trackers that come out of the womb and start sniffing and tracking game

On the drones it would not be hard to enforce a NO flying drones during deer season. However that would never get passed as a law because of all the industries that use drones and fly them over rural properties. They would have to prove you were flying to find wildlife to hunt. Tough nut to crack

20-Mar-23
Main business of a Habitat Consultant is usually around designing a hunting property. They will use their experience to walk around your property, see what there is to see, and help you design a property to hunt deer better. It is a paid service for expertise to help you cut time off your success. In other words maybe you don't need to make some mistakes they made earlier in their lives and they may help you achieve a higher degree of success sooner in life. Kind of how a tennis player might hire a coach. Same principle, higher degree of success, sooner in life.

Many of us would say the fun is in the learning. But you never stop learning. Let's not forget that all knowledge comes from somewhere. You may get it from YouTube, Bowsite, your elder, could be any number of places. Just because you hire someone for information does not make you any less of a man. It might just have been the best way for you to attain the information you wanted, and if you have the funds and allocate that particular thing as a priority in your life a consultant might not be stupid.

You might hire a financial consultant because in the long run they pay for their fee and then some, and it is the best decision you ever made. Exchange enjoyment on your land for "long run payoff" in the previous example and a consultant could be a good idea for a hunting property.

That being said - I probably have too big of an ego, and not enough cash to do it, but that is my own fault!

21-Mar-23

Bigdog 21's embedded Photo
Bigdog 21's embedded Photo

21-Mar-23
That’s a great thing to outlaw

To many helpful things flying over wildfires

21-Mar-23
Maybe it's just me but who wants to be taking a leak out in the wild and some drone flies over while you're relieving yourself. I do use game cameras some but...I don't know, this drone business just seems over the top

21-Mar-23
TG it is not like these drones has some super telescopic lens on them. You got nothing to worry about. ;)

21-Mar-23
I took a leak once only to realize I was giving a trail camera a full frontal. Didn't see the camera until I zipped up. At least a drone makes noise lol.

21-Mar-23
A buddy of mine put a camera on a windmill tank. The rancher I guess did not see the camera and had to go, so he had some unexpected pictures when checking camera a couple of years ago.

• Sitka Gear