wildwilderness 22-Mar-23
Treeline 22-Mar-23
Brun 22-Mar-23
KHunter 23-Mar-23
wildwilderness 23-Mar-23
IdyllwildArcher 26-Mar-23
ElkNut1 26-Mar-23
19-Mar-23
Draw conundrum- would you use a lot of points (extra) to draw a mediocre unit that a friend hunted a big (350++) bull on and has sheds and would give intel on? Other bulls would be in 300” range….

Basically would you go all in for 1 Bull?

19-Mar-23
Yep

19-Mar-23
If it takes a crap-load of points to draw the tag, how “mediocre” can it be???

If I really cared about inches, I would think about my health and my odds of drawing a better unit - or some more desirable tag - the next year.

With that many points, I’d have to think about moose or goat or sheep before I committed myself. But if that “mediocre” unit had some real promise of a good bull and (more importantly) light hunting pressure, that could be hard to pass up.

19-Mar-23
Specifics matter but I probably would. 300" consolation prize isn't a bad thing. I would have realistic expectations when trying to locate and kill a specific bull.

This year's sheds?

19-Mar-23
"If it takes a crap-load of points to draw the tag, how “mediocre” can it be???"

Corax- He clearly said "EXTRA". When a guy draws ANY limited entry (draw) tag, he uses ALL his points regardless of the amount of points needed for the unit. If he has 15 points and applies for a 3 point unit, he has now spent 12 "EXTRA" points on the hunt. Do you hunt the western states? I can't tell as your profile has no actual name or state info on it. Wild- I'd have to know details to make that decision for myself but the short answer for me is no. Way too many variables come into play when your talking about 1 elk. If it's a mid range unit, fairly easy to draw, I'd spend my points where I got the most bang for my buck. Then go there in a couple years when I had a few more points.

20-Mar-23
Based off last years points I would burn about 6 “extra” points for this unit. I can draw other “better” units (more 320-330” bulls, more public land) with how many I have, but no lead on a big bull.

No sheds from this year yet since Utah has closed shed season but the friend says the bull has been spotted alive on a hay stack recently.

20-Mar-23
Public land or private land hunting?

20-Mar-23

wildwilderness's embedded Photo
found in 2022
found in 2022
2021-2022 season
2021-2022 season
Public land hunting. DIY based off a friend of a friend who hunted it and found the sheds

20-Mar-23

Summer 2022
Summer 2022
Since it is public I know others will be hunting as well. It is a Draw unit and Utah has a 5 year wait limit to even apply again.

Here is a picture from last year (summer 2022) where the bull did not grow the big cheater off the rt 5th but grew a bigger frame.

20-Mar-23
When I am not sure what to do, I listen to Corax Latrans can never go wrong doing that. I really like his idea of using your elk points on a moose, sheep or goat.

20-Mar-23
I’d do it in a heart beat.

20-Mar-23
Burn em. There are not a lot of 350” bulls anywhere. In any unit.

Unless you are one of those hunters that likes the thought of holding a lot of points more dear than hunting a 350” class bull. Or even a 300” bull for that matter. Just one persons opinion.

20-Mar-23
IMO mid-tier units are the way to go. For me it’s quantity of hunts not quality.

Enjoy yourself, it’s later than you think.

20-Mar-23
I’d do it. Sounds like a reasonable hunt for solid bulls, whether you see that bull or not. Hopefully, it won’t be too crowded and you have to fight to get to the elk. Have had those issues on some of the best elk tags in the country and it sucks. Hell, guys that weren’t even hunting were getting in the way in purpose because their buddy had a tag.

20-Mar-23
no, i would not go in for one bull. i would instead use my PP's wisely and to the best chance of me killing a decent bull.

ymmv.

20-Mar-23
A little story,back in the eighties BigDan gave me a lot of advice to hunt this one area that he had hunted before.We got into elk from day one and I think it was around the fourth day the craziness started.We got on the bull of a lifetime,he was in a meadow with 65 cows that is how many we could count.My wife named him King Tut and I was screwed over the next 2-3 weeks I don’t know how many elk I passed up and we did have a few close calls with Tut but no cigar he would have scored close to 400 .When I talked to Dan about the hunt he told I probably should not have held out but it is what it is.By way we went back the following year and there he was and no I didn’t get him but I did get an elk on the last week of our hunt always what happened to Tut.Good Luck on your decision and your hunt Lewis

20-Mar-23
Yeap go for it and enjoyed

20-Mar-23
Everybody has different motivations and goals. Personally, I would go for the unit with more 320-330" bulls and more public land because I sure wouldn't be disappointed with a bull of that caliber. Too many downsides to going for one bull in a lower quality unit. He might not be found. He might hole up on private. He's probably no secret so a lot of others will be looking for him. Just finding him doesn't equal a shot opportunity. Plus, if the better unit has more decent sized bulls, it probably wouldn't be surprising to turn up a bull or two better than 330" there. With the waiting period plus point creep, I'd want to hunt the better unit sooner than later.

20-Mar-23
A bull like that doesn't grow old and reach his full antler potential by making mistakes during the hunting seasons. They usually have some sanctuary to go to where they aren't harassed. I've made the mistake of hunting specific bulls I've seen in the off-season, only to never see them during the season, several times.

I would not waste 6 points hoping to kill a specific bull that you're not even likely to find. I would hunt the unit with the highest probability of killing any good bull.

Matt

20-Mar-23
Why not give it a go?

20-Mar-23
I guess it has been so long since I concerned myself with preference points that I didn't recall that they are species-specific.... LOL. There are some things about which I'm not at all embarrassed about being ignorant. That's one of 'em.

All I need to know is that I'm in an OTC unit and what the point minimum is on a legal bull. I guess as I get older, I'll have to consult the minimum poundage requirements.

20-Mar-23
GF yourself why though do you find it necessary to give your two cents on topics over and over you are ignorant on? That is what you should be embarrassed about.

20-Mar-23
Hell no! If there's units with more 320 bulls, that unit will have 350s in it as well

20-Mar-23
Yep. Even if other bulls were "only" 280.

20-Mar-23
Short answer, no.

20-Mar-23
I’m hopefully gonna draw Wyoming Elk this year with my dad at 11pts in the special draw but no guarantee and I promise you if we get a 5x in he’s getting shot, bow hunting has always been about the opportunity with me and my dad we’ve stacked some trophy animals don’t get me wrong but at the end of the day it’s always been about the opportunity and when it’s right we send em!!

21-Mar-23
Is a lesser chance at a bull 30" bigger important to you? That will give you your answer.

21-Mar-23
what would Chuck Adams do? haha

21-Mar-23
Some really great points made in the above posts to consider both ways. Unless I had a true edge in my favor, I would not opt for a single bull option. The above situation sounds like you have a friend with first hand knowledge of the unit which can be invaluable. If you could be happy with a somewhat lesser bull if the target bull isn't located, it would probably be worth the extra points. Good luck.

22-Mar-23
Has any here had a successful hunt targeting 1 bull in particular?

22-Mar-23
I know Forest has. I was after a good bull from hunting his main camp. We were on a drop camp hunt in unit 33 and I had multiple close encounters and couldn’t seal the deal with my longbow.

He already knew of the bull when I spoke of it. He took a guided hunter in and killed that bull. He was definitely targeting that bull and killed it.

22-Mar-23
I have targeted and killed several bulls that I found during hunting season. Most places I have hunted, the bulls move a long way between seasons and always move a lot during the rut chasing cows. I rarely find any shed antlers in the areas I hunt during the rut.

22-Mar-23
It sounds like you're in a position to have a really good hunt whatever you decide to do. I'd say go with the experience that sounds the most fun to you. If the idea of targeting that one big bull really appeals to you, then go for it. My only advice is don't second guess your decision, once you decide just go and hunt and don't think about the other option.....I'd love to be in your position. My choice would be the unit with more public land and more 320-330 type bulls, but that doesn't mean it's the best choice for you. Good luck.

23-Mar-23
The answer is no if it is the unit I am applying for and you have more nonres points than I do. LOL.

23-Mar-23
The decision might be to not hunt elk this year in Utah..... the thought is that the moisture will be really good and hopefully exceptional antler growth, and a strong lead on a great bull which may get really big this year.

That said life always gets in the way, and I may already be over extended come Autumn.

26-Mar-23
Only you can answer this for yourself.

I've obsessively spent entire hunts going after one bull. The abnormally-large-for-the-area bulls generally are call shy, in my experience. You may have to ambush him and scouting before season may be necessary. I would consider dropping the points if you had the time to spend the week before opener and the entire season hunting that one particular bull. If you only have a week, then no.

26-Mar-23
I have & no! I've passed many respectable bulls waiting for Mr. right! Kill the 1st pope & young call it a success!

ElkNut

• Sitka Gear