fdp 22-Mar-23
MQQSE 22-Mar-23
jjs 22-Mar-23
jjs 22-Mar-23
DanaC 04-May-23
Scrappy 04-May-23
Blanrimel 05-May-23
22-Mar-23
Has anyone perfected a way to ship a small outboard motor from the lower 48 to SE Alaska? I’d prefer to get it to Petersburg, but Juneau is fine too. I like the idea of using my own motor for spring bear hunting. I know there are some road blocks such as hazardous material issues and perhaps some that won’t ship them at all. Any advice from those who have done it is appreciated.

22-Mar-23
i'm guessing it would cost a small fortune

22-Mar-23
Havent done it, but live in petersburg. There is three ways that things get to Petersburg, barge, plane or ferry, with barge being the most common. Ferry is out of the picture unless you plan on riding it up. If you could get the outboard to Alaksa marine lines in Tacoma Washington they would bring it up. It may be something AK air cargo would handle but not sure, if they would im sure it wouldn't be cheap. You could call Rockys marine in Petersburg and see if they have suggestions or possibly an outboard to rent.

22-Mar-23
I'd venture to guess it would be cheaper to buy a new one there in advance, and then sell it when you're done. Shipping would have to cost a fortune as stated.

22-Mar-23
^^^^^^That sounds like the best idea^^^^^^

22-Mar-23
Debating buying one in Juneau and going from there. I ship all (most anyway) of my gear up and back each year for moose and it’s never been brutally expensive. I’ve seen it as just part of the cost of doing business, so to speak. This dang motor thing shouldn’t be that complex, but I just haven’t found the right system yet. I’m probably going to use a 6 hp Merc weighing in around 57-60 lbs, so one would think that would simplify things some.

22-Mar-23
6 hp Merc is relatively small, If you are taking the ferry and a pu-truck should take much room, just leave the fuel tank empty when onboard, renting one there would be easier and less headaches.

Side note: I got clipped $500 for my back extended bumper being 1'' over length before going on board the ferry in Prince Rupert, the inter-coastal road was a mess then and figure it was cheaper than a busted axle.

22-Mar-23
6 hp Merc is relatively small, If you are taking the ferry and a pu-truck should take much room, just leave the fuel tank empty when onboard, renting one there would be easier and less headaches.

Side note: I got clipped $500 for my back extended bumper being 1'' over length before going on board the ferry in Prince Rupert, the inter-coastal road was a mess then and figure it was cheaper than a busted axle.

04-May-23
If this isn't something you own yet, but plan on buying, purchase it online and have it shipped to Alaska from the factory or distributor. "Hold for pickup" at the local post office.

04-May-23
Buy one off Amazon prime, you know free two day delivery:)

05-May-23
First off, you gotta make sure the shipping company you're using is cool with sending hazardous materials like gasoline. Some carriers won't touch that stuff with a ten-foot pole. Now, let's talk about the actual shipping process. If you want your motor to arrive in one piece, you gotta pack that baby up nice and tight. Make sure to drain all the fuel and oil from the motor before shipping it, so it doesn't leak and ruin everything. As for getting it to Petersburg or Juneau, you could try sending it by plane or boat. Yeah, it might cost you a bit more, but it'll get there faster and safer than if you were to send a car to another state. Plus, you don't wanna miss out on spring bear hunting just because your motor got delayed or damaged during shipping.

• Sitka Gear