brettpsu 05-Apr-23
Shrewski 05-Apr-23
24-Mar-23

BULELK1's Link
WoW!!

03/16/23

Good luck, Robb

24-Mar-23
Pretty big cuts to the sheep tag numbers... Sure makes me mad that I missed a few years applying and fell back in the points race!

24-Mar-23
That hurts. Looks like there will be no random tags. Or will they all be random…

24-Mar-23
Based on the current split, there may be one random tag in unit 5…. Other than that, nada.

24-Mar-23
Unit 5 has one random tag at those quotas. They're basically taking away one of the NR preference tags from another unit in order to accommodate one random tag in the whole state for NR. By past practice and rules there would've needed to be 40 tags in a unit to produce one random NR tag.

02-Apr-23

BULELK1's Link
Harvest Data

Scroll down for units

Good luck, Robb

02-Apr-23

BULELK1's Link
Oops.....it's early!

04-Apr-23
I'm one of those guys with 22 sheep points and will likely never see a tag in Wyoming. Had it figured prior to change and would most likely draw before I hit 70yo, figured it was worth the money and wait. Thanks for the update Robb.

04-Apr-23
I'm setting on 20 sheep points (21 after this year) at age 63...

05-Apr-23
Y'all are Welcome,

Good luck, Robb

05-Apr-23
21 sheep and moose points. Fell victim to the $7 preference point bait a long time ago. Then felt like I had a chance when it was raised to $150 and kept applying. Stupid me for staying in the game trying to draw a decent tag one day when I should have took the first lower point unit with marginal hunting I could get.

05-Apr-23

Sandbrew's embedded Photo
Sandbrew's embedded Photo
Yep the old bait and switch....

05-Apr-23
23 points for me. I wonder if they will change the system again soon and give me no chance of drawing in the point pool. I know there was talk of changing the points to bonus points but I haven’t heard the latest on that. I just want to dump these as fast as possible before something like that happens.

05-Apr-23
If my quick math is correct and that's a big IF.

Guys with 25+ points could all clear out this year. 24 points in 3 years, 23 points in 17 years, 22 points in 28 years, 21 points in 44 years,

Glad I bailed out

05-Apr-23
Before to long everyone with a Wyoming sheep and moose tag will be using a walker to get up the mountain.

05-Apr-23
^^^ no walker needed for me. I'll be 6ft under with brettpsu's calcs. Maybe WYGF will let my wife spread my ashes in one of their sheep units with my 51 sheep points I carry to the grave if I'm lucky. Well as long as she doesn't try and do it in a Wilderness Area. :)

05-Apr-23
Brett

Was your math based on the new 10 percent allocation?

05-Apr-23
640 NR's have 22 points and up. There are 18 ram tags this year for NR under the new 10% ceiling. If that holds, it'd take at least 35 years to clear them all out, not considering mortality, lack of interest, other drop-outs, and a few tags going random.

05-Apr-23
If you have 23 points now I feel if you stick with it you will probably draw before they change the draw to bonus points then it a waste. Figure half the guys at or above 23 points will drop out. Now factor in half do not apply each year and subtract # of tags. You could guess wrong each year and not draw (NR will jump from unit to unit). I did the math and felt good I would draw - but you HAVE to draw in the next 4 years - WY will go to all, or mostly, bonus points then you are screwed. I got really lucky and drew last year with 22 points but I was planning and running numbers - and I knew I had to draw soon.

05-Apr-23
"Brett Was your math based on the new 10 percent allocation?"

Yes it was. Don't forget, someone with 23 points could possibly draw in two years or worst case 17. Like others have said there will be mortality and also some will hold on for a certain unit even if it takes a few more years to draw. Always a possibility to draw with fewer points but I'm gonna guess many will start dumping points on whatever they can get. Large number of point holders with 23 points and even more with 22.

05-Apr-23
These are some crazy numbers and I'm talking about bighorns only. Roughly 11,700 non residents in the point pool. At $168 in out of pocket expenses per non resident that equates to $2 million dollars for WGFD just in the sheep draw. $200,000 from just the guys holding 20+ points. I can't believe they duped over 2,000 non res hunters to buy their first point last year. Even if they went full blown random, draw odds would be 0.17, I couldn't imagine how bad it would be with squared points.

05-Apr-23
23 sheep points here. That was a very PG meme of what WY has done Terry. The worst part in my case is I remember when Wyoming started the sheep points and I was too young and naive to understand how very, very important they were going to become.

I’ve never used a point in Wyoming for anything. Been hunting everywhere else and hunting there on second choice, cow or doe tags, ect. saving Wyoming for some great hunts in the future with my son or when I could devote entire seasons to it. Soon those all will be absolutely worthless.

For every species.

• Sitka Gear