Make money on a YouTube Hunting channel?
General Topic
Contributors to this thread:
Saphead 07-Apr-23
thedude 07-Apr-23
Brotsky 07-Apr-23
Sivart 07-Apr-23
smarba 07-Apr-23
DanaC 07-Apr-23
TREESTANDWOLF 07-Apr-23
Charlie Rehor 07-Apr-23
Scrappy 08-Apr-23
DanaC 08-Apr-23
WV Mountaineer 08-Apr-23
Cheesehead Mike 08-Apr-23
ryanrc 08-Apr-23
Jaquomo 08-Apr-23
BOHNTR 08-Apr-23
Murph 08-Apr-23
Aluminum Rain 08-Apr-23
jjs 08-Apr-23
sasquatch 08-Apr-23
Highlife 08-Apr-23
canepole 08-Apr-23
Iowa booner hunter 08-Apr-23
TREESTANDWOLF 08-Apr-23
thedude 08-Apr-23
Shaft2Long 08-Apr-23
TREESTANDWOLF 08-Apr-23
Aces11 08-Apr-23
Cheesehead Mike 08-Apr-23
Old School 08-Apr-23
sticksender 09-Apr-23
Grey Ghost 09-Apr-23
Saphead 09-Apr-23
Cheesehead Mike 09-Apr-23
Grey Ghost 09-Apr-23
Thornton 09-Apr-23
ROUGHCOUNTRY 09-Apr-23
jjs 09-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 09-Apr-23
DConcrete 09-Apr-23
yooper89 09-Apr-23
TREESTANDWOLF 09-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 09-Apr-23
Grey Ghost 09-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 09-Apr-23
Mike Ukrainetz 09-Apr-23
Grey Ghost 09-Apr-23
DConcrete 09-Apr-23
WapitiBob 09-Apr-23
Brijake 09-Apr-23
DConcrete 09-Apr-23
160andup 09-Apr-23
WapitiBob 09-Apr-23
DConcrete 09-Apr-23
Coondog 09-Apr-23
Cheesehead Mike 10-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 10-Apr-23
goyt 10-Apr-23
goyt 10-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 10-Apr-23
Bou'bound 10-Apr-23
808bowhunter 10-Apr-23
Iowa booner hunter 10-Apr-23
Brotsky 10-Apr-23
BOHNTR 10-Apr-23
Jethro 10-Apr-23
Tilzbow 10-Apr-23
Grey Ghost 10-Apr-23
standswittaknife 10-Apr-23
KsRancher 10-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 11-Apr-23
Catscratch 11-Apr-23
Grey Ghost 11-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 11-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 11-Apr-23
Toonces 11-Apr-23
Grey Ghost 11-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 11-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 11-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 11-Apr-23
Grey Ghost 11-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 11-Apr-23
Toonces 11-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 11-Apr-23
Grey Ghost 11-Apr-23
Toonces 11-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 11-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 11-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 11-Apr-23
Grey Ghost 11-Apr-23
Jaquomo 11-Apr-23
Toonces 11-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 11-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 11-Apr-23
bigswivle 11-Apr-23
bigswivle 11-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 11-Apr-23
Cheesehead Mike 11-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 11-Apr-23
Toonces 11-Apr-23
Old School 11-Apr-23
Cheesehead Mike 11-Apr-23
Grey Ghost 11-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 11-Apr-23
Grey Ghost 11-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 11-Apr-23
Grey Ghost 11-Apr-23
Bowbender 11-Apr-23
Grey Ghost 11-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 11-Apr-23
Grey Ghost 11-Apr-23
Grey Ghost 11-Apr-23
Grey Ghost 11-Apr-23
Bowbender 12-Apr-23
Bowbender 12-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 12-Apr-23
Bowbender 12-Apr-23
jjs 12-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 12-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 12-Apr-23
Bowbender 12-Apr-23
Blood 12-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 12-Apr-23
Blood 12-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 12-Apr-23
LBshooter 12-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 12-Apr-23
Brotsky 12-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 12-Apr-23
Bowbender 12-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 12-Apr-23
Bowaddict 12-Apr-23
Bowbender 12-Apr-23
LBshooter 12-Apr-23
RD in WI 12-Apr-23
Brotsky 12-Apr-23
Grey Ghost 13-Apr-23
cnelk 13-Apr-23
Grey Ghost 13-Apr-23
cnelk 13-Apr-23
Grey Ghost 13-Apr-23
cnelk 13-Apr-23
Grey Ghost 13-Apr-23
Grey Ghost 13-Apr-23
Grey Ghost 13-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 13-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 13-Apr-23
cnelk 13-Apr-23
Grey Ghost 13-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 13-Apr-23
jjs 13-Apr-23
Grey Ghost 13-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 13-Apr-23
canepole 13-Apr-23
Shaft2Long 13-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 13-Apr-23
Grey Ghost 13-Apr-23
Grey Ghost 13-Apr-23
SaddleReaper 13-Apr-23
Mulehorn 14-Apr-23
Catscratch 14-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 14-Apr-23
Blood 14-Apr-23
APauls 14-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 14-Apr-23
Missouribreaks 14-Apr-23
Blood 18-Apr-23
Blood 18-Apr-23
Catscratch 18-Apr-23
Blood 18-Apr-23
Catscratch 22-Apr-23
Recurve Man 22-Apr-23
Ksgobbler 23-Apr-23
RK 23-Apr-23
Ksgobbler 23-Apr-23
IsaacMoore 22-Sep-23
sundowner 22-Sep-23
sasquatch 22-Sep-23
Thornton 24-Sep-23
BoggsBowhunts 24-Sep-23
Thornton 25-Sep-23
BoggsBowhunts 25-Sep-23
Scar Finga 11-Oct-23
Bloody RibCage 04-Apr-24
Shug 04-Apr-24
In2dmtns 05-Apr-24
WV Mountaineer 05-Apr-24
Cheesehead Mike 07-Apr-24
Nyati 07-Apr-24
07-Apr-23

Freelance Bowhunter's Link
There are a lot of misconceptions out there about YouTube and how it works. It's a challenge making a hunting channel profitable, but I offer some insights on my journey with YouTube. Hope it is informative. Click the link for the video explanation.

07-Apr-23
Thanks! that was very very interesting. Nice job getting your channel out there as well!!

07-Apr-23
Oh look another talk show.

07-Apr-23
The youtube crowd and their monetization of our public trust resources and public lands is one of the single largest contributing factors to overcrowding and point creep in the west. Excuse me while I don't click your link.

07-Apr-23
agreed....

07-Apr-23
While I agree with Brotsky, I watched out of curiosity, and felt Freelance did a really good job explaining income potential of Youtube, and it would relate to any video series endeavor that one may be interested in.

At this point the cat's out of the bag and there are no more secrets and there's no going back. Between OnX, Toprut, Hunting Fool and Game & Fish bombarding everyone constantly with "don't forget to apply" or "here's a list of sleeper units" or whatever, another hunting Youtube blog isn't going to make one bit of difference.

07-Apr-23
Brotzky, I would encourage you to watch the video before you comment on it. Really has nothing to do with your comment.

07-Apr-23
"Make sure to hit that like button and subscribe to this channel!"

07-Apr-23
The world is your oyster… there is a lot out there that offers opportunity.

Depends if you want to capitalize on it.

07-Apr-23
Over night success usually takes around 30 years.

08-Apr-23
interesting info. whether we like it or not...if we want to expose the next generation to hunting and fishing...we need to meet them where they are. social media is this generations magazines.

08-Apr-23
So the hunting tubers have gone from teaching how easy it is to get tags and hunt to how easy it is to making money telling us how to get tags and hunt. Sorry no thanks

08-Apr-23
^^^ Perfect!

08-Apr-23
This is a tough crowd.

08-Apr-23
Spot on Ricky. The best way to recruit new hunters is to give them enough information to help them be successful, and where do they go for information? YouTube.

08-Apr-23
There's no current need to recruit any new hunters out west...

08-Apr-23
While the downside is more public land crowding, the upside is more people exposed to hunting and becoming hunter-friendly.

08-Apr-23
Except that a whole lot of the garbage on YouTube portrays hunting in a less than flattering light, because we don't police ourselves. Our own videos were used against us in the ad campaign when bear hunting was banned by the voters in CO.

08-Apr-23
No thanks

08-Apr-23
Social media has certainly shed light on many western opportunities, but don’t hate it theirs still plenty of great opportunity in the west if you wanna work for it, IMO the biggest driving force behind people getting the courage to go west in an unfamiliar setting was the introduction of OnX maps, and very few are not utilizing that great tool old school or not

08-Apr-23
Cheesehead Mike x 2

08-Apr-23
Want to make $ on YouTube off hunting, just put a very good looking lady in a camouflage bikini on a stalk and in hunting camp drinking BudLite and being called Hank by the hunting buds, you may get a lot of likes.

08-Apr-23
It ain’t only ruining our west!

Turkeys and public hunting them has taken a fast turn for the worst and tons of opportunities lost in shorter seasons, later openers, smaller limits etc etc

08-Apr-23
Now I'd watch that Jon that'd be funny shit.

08-Apr-23
"Except that a whole lot of the garbage on YouTube portrays hunting in a less than flattering light, because we don't police ourselves. Our own videos were used against us in the ad campaign when bear hunting was banned by the voters in CO". Excellent point Jaquomo. Unfortunately there's a lot of comments that are detrimental to hunters and hunting that get posted right here on Bow Site.

08-Apr-23
We don’t need to recruit new hunters. Nobody recruited me, it was just a burning desire I had. There is more than enough hunters for the available land.

08-Apr-23

08-Apr-23
"There's no current need to recruit any new hunters out west..."

Of course not. That's why more and more hunting and trapping is being banned in western states and wolves are being introduced into Colorado. You want more examples? There are plenty. Hunters vote for and support hunting in case you haven't noticed. Selfish attitudes like yours have done more to damage hunting than OnX or any social media ever will.

08-Apr-23
For all you guys that think there are too many hunters I challenge you to DO THE RIGHT THING! Sell your hunting gear and take up knitting. You'll be contributing to the greater good. If there are too many hunters, there's only one thing you personally can do about it, and that's quit hunting. Do the right thing.

08-Apr-23
FB, na. I'll pass on knitting. What I will do is continue to not post videos or pictures online looking for a likes. Youtubers are a step above drug dealers and prostitutes. All they do is pimp wildlife for financial gain or notoriety. Trolling online is far more honest work.

08-Apr-23
Say what you will about the post but Charlie Rehor’s comment gets a thumbs up from me.

I’ve often thought about starting a channel showcasing how to fail at hunting. I’ve years of expertise.

08-Apr-23
what a bunch of whineyasses...heaven forbid some of you would have to share the woods with someone. i say good for freelance bowhunter...if hes having fun and able to make a few shekels along the way good for him.

08-Apr-23

08-Apr-23
FB I have followed your bucks, bulls, bears for years and enjoy your videos. I read your book years ago. Hope to get back to MN and hunt bears again one of these years.

08-Apr-23
Freelance Bowhunter, I'm fully aware of who you are and some of your previous endeavors. Say what you want about me and my "selfish attitudes" but you don't really know me. You're the new kid on this block and a lot of us have been here for many years sharing ideas and helping each other for a long time and sometimes hunting together. I'm simply stating my opinion that there are currently plenty of hunters out west and there's currently no need to recruit any more or to increase the rate at which hunters are being recruited. Maybe that will change at some point but that is the "current" situation. If you have been involved in hunting out west for 20 years or more like many of us have you would have seen the changes that have occurred and may understand what I'm saying. I'm not selfish and I have helped many people with their elk hunting endeavors. I'm just saying that hunter recruitment out west is currently not something we need more of and I think your insult was uncalled for, but maybe that's how you build your fan base?

When it becomes impossible to draw a tag or we are priced out due to supply and demand and it becomes a pursuit only for the rich, then we will see a serious decline in hunters and I can't imagine that will be good for your profit margin. Unfortunately I'm afraid that's the direction we are going.

You call me selfish, well I could throw that back at you and say that maybe you are selfish for taking an activity that should be done for the love of nature, the wild experience and a means of procuring food and you are turning it into a commercialized endeavor to line your own pockets at the expense of everybody else who does not believe in pimping out the experience. You selfishly say "recruit more hunters" because it increases your fan base and improves your bottom line regardless of the impact on anybody else.

I could probably have my own YouTube channel with all the incredible hunting experiences I have in numerous states every year but it's too sacred to me to sell it out and turn it into a job. I also don't think I would feel right about being a part of something that could actually be degrading the future of hunting.

And I highly doubt that an increase in hunters will have any bearing on wolves being released in Colorado. You can argue that your role in increasing hunter recruitment helps fight off the anti hunters and pro wolf people but are you sure you're not just saying these things to help justify your profit driven actions? The liberals have control, just like in Wisconsin where the northern deer herd has been decimated by wolves. Nobody outside the state of Wisconsin gives two shits about the decimation of the northern deer herd or the over population of wolves in northern Wisconsin. More hunters in Wisconsin will not change the wolf situation. Just like recruiting more non resident hunters to hunt in the western states will have little or no impact on the local state politics that determine whether or not wolves will be released. Sorry but I'm afraid that's the way it is.

08-Apr-23
Thanks but No Thanks

09-Apr-23
"You call me selfish, well I could throw that back at you and say that maybe you are selfish for taking an activity that should be done for the love of nature, the wild experience and a means of procuring food and you are turning it into a commercialized endeavor to line your own pockets at the expense of everybody else who does not believe in pimping out the experience. You selfishly say "recruit more hunters" because it increases your fan base and improves your bottom line regardless of the impact on anybody else.

I could probably have my own YouTube channel with all the incredible hunting experiences I have in numerous states every year but it's too sacred to me to sell it out and turn it into a job. I also don't think I would feel right about being a part of something that could actually be degrading the future of hunting."

you must realize that bowsite is commercialized enterprise that in your words...is profiting off others and pimping out the hunting experience? the owner of this site offers a resource where information is shared...people are entertained...hunting is shown in a good light...and sponsors pay for the opportunity to be seen by other hunters...no different than freelance bowhunters youtube channel. not that there is anything wrong with bowsite but at least the content freelance bowhunter is selling is his own.

you also must realize that if you are having incredible hunting experiences in numerous states every year...you are part of what you consider too many hunters in other areas. doesnt everyone else have that opportunity...or do you think that once you got in...you can shut the door behind you and tell everyone else to stay home? not only that but how many people do you think decided to hunt the states that you hunt based on the incredible stoires, tips and advice youve shared here...i know ive hunted different states and specific locations based entirely on things ive read here on bowsite...again no different that what freelance bowhunter is doing.

09-Apr-23
Absolutely spot-on Cheesehead Mike.

09-Apr-23
Well said, Cheesehead Mike.

09-Apr-23
I have noticed in my 62 yrs that we are all selfish.... But sometimes people do unselfish things. Today is one of those days

09-Apr-23
Ricky, my rant is a result of being insulted for simply stating my opinion about hunter numbers out west. If a guy is going to be a YouTube star he probably shouldn't go around insulting people over a difference of opinion. I wrote the things I did to point out that there are different perspectives on the YouTube thing and there may be those who believe it's not the best thing for hunting. People who know me well realize that I'll often play the devil's advocate and point out both sides of an issue. I may not necessarily feel strongly about some of the things I wrote but it's another perspective that others may share and something that should be kept in mind when criticizing those with differing opinions. In regard to commercialization of hunting, like anything else, I believe there may be a limit on how much is good.

09-Apr-23
" In regard to commercialization of hunting, like anything else, I believe there may be a limit on how much is good."

IMO, that limit was reached years ago.

Matt

09-Apr-23
cheeshead mike...and my point just an attempt to say that it goes both ways...you cant speak out against social medias influence on hunting...while participating in hunting social media...you cant speak out against sharing hunting experiences on youtube while sharing your hunting experiences on bowsite...you cant speak out against making money off your hunting passion, while contributing to the profiting off hunting...you cant speak out against overcrowded hunting areas...while contributing to the overcrowding by traveling to other states to hunt...i guess you can...but it would be rather hypocritical.

if freelance bowhunter...or anyone else that makes videos...writes articles...owns a hunting forum...or in any way makes a little money off their passion...puts hunting in a good light...they should be commended...not ridiculed.

09-Apr-23
I disagree. YouTube channels are monetized after a certain number of views, and are responsible for hunting and fishing areas being over run. I, like others, do not agree in supporting this. I stopped putting locations and counties on my semi live hunts on here due to noticing extra traffic in my areas and deerstands on my fence. It is not hypocritical to hunt millions upon millions of acres of public in other states when my state is only 1.8 % public.

09-Apr-23
I thought the video was informative and answered some questions I had about how youtubers were paid. Good luck to you on your venture and I also have a relative who works for OnX maps and I don't begrudge folks for making money from their passions or hobbies. I also acknowledge that social media and technology has put more hunters in the woods especially in my own backyard here in Montana.

The genie is probably not going back in the bottle anytime soon:)

09-Apr-23
Cheesehead Mike, you are spot on.

09-Apr-23
"YouTube channels are monetized after a certain number of views"

how do you think advertisement rates are calculated on a site like this...its based on number of clicks...and what do think threads about successful hunts here do in terms of interest in other areas...i know i have personally gone to new areas based specifically on threads posted here.

09-Apr-23
For many years people have made money off from hunting and the hunting related culture. I have no issue with it, hunters are the one's paying the piper.

09-Apr-23
I personally don’t think Hoyt, pse, Bow tech, or any other archery manufacturer should be allowed to do it to make money. I don’t think Polaris or can am should be able to either.

Nosler, Hornady, Christensen arms, Winchester, or any of them.

Nobody should be able to make money off the outdoor industry. Because the outdoors are a passion. And nobody should be getting anyone else involved in the sport. We are already overcrowded as is. Can’t draw tags. Too many animals getting killed. Commercializing wildlife and hunting is what’s hurting it the most. Look no further than Africa. Hunting, and money, and travel hasn’t single handedly saved species, helped economies. Helped starving people or anything.

Look, clearly I’m being a wise ass.

Here’s the truth about hunting that I don’t believe a lot of you want to recognize.

Hunter numbers and new recruitment is down. Has been for years.

Wasn’t there a thread here not that long ago about show a pic with you and your bow? Most everyone was older. And this isn’t just indicative of this site. It’s indicative of the sport in general. Fathers and grand fathers Haven’t been getting their kids and grand kids involved. Hell, some of you don’t even have kids.

Is it harder to draw a tag in the west? Yes. Does that mean hunter numbers have increased? No.

It simply means more People from Other areas have started to hunt here.

How many people now come to the west to hunt versus 20-30 years ago?

What’s going to happen is, there’ll be a boom and bust cycle. We aren’t far off from the bust cycle. Some of you won’t live to see it though.

Hunting only survives by strength in numbers and that’s a cold hard fact.

We aren’t nearly as big of a population as some Of you would like to believe.

And as far as Bowsite goes, and somebody being the “new kid on the block”, this site isn’t the real world. The world and hunting world is just a tad bigger than the lives some lead on here.

09-Apr-23
Ricky, I appreciate your opinion and I appreciate you making your points without insults.

I agree with you that it goes both ways but I disagree with you about what I can or can't speak out in favor of or not in favor of. There are many perspectives on this issue and not everybody will agree with you or me but that doesn't mean everybody isn't entitled to their opinions or feelings. I believe that people can have opinions on limitations on commercialization of hunting without being hypocritical. Saying I can't have limitations is like saying that if I support compound bows for hunting then I have to support all forms of hunting such as full inclusion of crossbows in archery season, use of drones for hunting, cell cams on public land, baiting on public land, permanent tree stands on public land, etc, etc, etc. I don't agree with that but if I remember correct from reading some of Bernie's past works he supports pretty much everything. Maybe because it increases his fan base and clicks?

The irony here is that I made a simple comment regarding the number of hunters out west and if Bernie would have just let it be or not responded the way he did I would have just kept my mouth shut. Regardless, it gave me the opportunity to play the devil's advocate and point out other possible perspectives...

Regardless of whether people agree with me or not it really doesn't matter. Do I think hunting was better before YouTube and OnX? Yes I do and some who remember the good old days may agree but many who do not will probably think I'm a jerk. That really doesn't matter either though because the ship has sailed...

09-Apr-23
DcOncrete this forum is most DEFINITELY an older guy forum. If you put the same “post your bow” topic on Rokslide you’d see more young guys than old.

09-Apr-23
i agree that everyone is entitled to their opinions mike, i just have a problem when they are contradictory. people lose sight of the fact that youtube and bowsite work much the same way when it comes to impact on the resource and generation of profit...to support one and not the other is more than a little hypocritical imho. while i may have worded it differently...i agree with the freelance when it comes to concern about overcrowding. if the only concern is that there are too many people hunting a certain area...why not stop going there?

reminds me of the john denvers lyrics...

"While they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more More people, more scars upon the land..."

...this was after he built his huge home in the mountains of course.

09-Apr-23
DP

09-Apr-23
Hunters spend a lot of money on hunting items and hunting entertainment. Who is to blame? Not the businesses, they would be dead without customers.

09-Apr-23
Capitalizing on hunting gear is different than capitalizing on hunting itself, IMO. I know of very few hunters who think leasing and outfitting has been good for hunting in general. Lack of quality affordable hunting opportunities is what's keeping recruitment down. Most of the young hunters I've known have lost interest as a result.

Matt

09-Apr-23
I agree with the general sentiment, however it is hunters who support leasing and outfitting.

09-Apr-23
grey ghost...how does any of that apply to freelance bowhunters youtube channel? from what i can tell he is primarily about do it yourself public land hunting...how is what he is doing restricting access to quality affordable hunting opportunities...shouldnt we be commending him instead of trying to tear him down?

09-Apr-23
Thanks for the very informative video! I’ve always been curious how the YouTube income is achieved.

P.S. (I’ve heard bowsite makes money for the owner of it and the people who post here help him make that money and it promotes bowhunting, hunters share information on things like public land hunting, drawing tags, it sells hunting gear, books hunts for outfitters, etc. Maybe just a rumour?)

09-Apr-23
"They’re still public with very legitimate chances at a 150 class whitetail in the East."

Rocky, care to name a few of those spots? I have a young buddy on the east coast that would be grateful.

Come to my neck of the woods in central and eastern Colorado, where there is almost no quality public land to hunt, and try to gain access with just a handshake, or an offer to help out with chores around the property. Let me know how you do.

Around here, there are basically 3 types of landowners. Those who hunt their own property with a few close friends or family, those who lease to an outfitter or a hunting group, and those who don't allow any hunting at all. Handshake access is a thing of the distant past. Kansas is becoming very similar.

Sure, there is plenty of public in the Colorado high country, but *quality* public hunting is another story. When was the last time you hunted on OTC public ground in Colorado? If it's been a while, I think you'd be disappointed, now.

Matt

09-Apr-23
I have stopped hunting some areas due to overcrowding. I have also stopped hunting some areas that I hunted several times in the past because it's now impossible to draw a tag due to hunter recruitment...

09-Apr-23
I wouldn’t confuse hunter recruitment with additional, existing hunters from other areas now applying for them.

The stats don’t lie. It’s down.

09-Apr-23
Let me know when you "we don't need any more hunters" start staying home. To say you're not selfish is the most ridiculous thing I've read in months. The "I have mine screw you new guys" attitude gets old. 30 years ago you jokers were the new guys.

09-Apr-23
i wonder how many private land owners bemoaning the lack of public land access...and private land being leased...are willing to let others hunt their land for just a handshake.

09-Apr-23
So the reason I can’t draw a tag out west here is because all the extra Easterners who are applying? Hmmm, all Western states now seem to have an annual 20k increase yearly for the last few years. Didn’t know that was due to Eastern hunters. Good to know.

09-Apr-23
Easterners, westerners, Midwesterner’s. You can try to be dense all you want. You can ignore it all you want. You can believe it’s all newbies all you want. But it isn’t.

Are there some New ones? Sure there are. But they aren’t replacing the ones who’re dying.

You lose more hunters than you recruit. Fact.

Hard to draw tags? Yep. Same old same old guys applying. Some new, yes. But not as many as the usual suspects.

09-Apr-23
I’m with cheesehead on this too, well said.

“Hard to draw tags? Yep. Same old same old guys applying. Some new, yes. But not as many as the usual suspects.”

Not sure how you can say this after looking at western tag draws over the last 5 years?

09-Apr-23
Several things going on in WY. They have never had a decrease in E/D/A applications, and less than half of the applicants actually apply for a hunt, the majority just buy a point. Every year these point only guys decide to jump in for whatever reason and your odds take a hit. This year specifically, the major app services, with tens of thousands of customers have been pushing their customers to jump in and apply. We'll see how that turns out.

09-Apr-23
Because you have people From all over now applying.

Are there some NEW to the sport hunters applying? YES. But the majority of people applying are not NEW hunters.

Are there more people applying? YES. But it isn’t who many of you are blaming.

Additionally, the internet has single handedly given more People access to the how’s and why’s of other states than any other resource.

You have people applying in states they never did before. But they’re people who were already hunters.

Hunter numbers are DOWN. How hard it is to draw a tag isn’t indicative of how many new people there are to the sport.

Again, yea, there’s some newbies applying. Especially during and after Covid. But it isn’t keeping pace with what you’re losing.

Do I hope that the trend is reversed? Yes I do. The salvation of the sport and tradition is more important to me than hard to draw tags.

I never applied in Kansas until 6 years ago. Never in Iowa. Never in Wyoming until 15 years ago.

Applying, and information availability is greater than before. This is why the increase. Not because of new recruitment.

09-Apr-23
There sure are a lot of “get off my lawn” guys on here bashing it. There aren’t hunting DVD’s anymore, guys. It’s YouTube and Instagram. It has evolved to that whether you like it or not. It has far more reach than any DVD’s ever did.

10-Apr-23
When I said there is no current need to recruit any new hunters out west I was referring mainly to existing hunters who are now taking up western elk hunting. I wasn't talking about non hunters being recruited into hunting for the first time. Yes, overall hunter numbers may be falling but that certainly isn't the case with the number of people who have taken up elk hunting in recent years. With elk tags selling out quickly every year, low draw odds, point creep and long waits to draw tags, It doesn't appear that there's any need to actively recruit more elk hunters.

I guess all the unselfish guys must be very happy about increasing point creep and poor elk draw odds that continue to get worse every year. They must also really enjoy things like spending all day online trying to get an Idaho "OTC" elk tag and failing every year.

If being disappointed by the fact that it has become increasingly difficult to draw elk tags and stating my opinion that we currently don't need to recruit any more elk hunters makes me selfish, then so be it.

I can't help but wonder when or if the more generous guys will ever hit a tipping point and feel that there are enough elk hunters and there's enough competition for tags. At what point if ever, is having that opinion no longer considered selfish? Will the more generous guys continue to be happy when it gets to the point that they only get to hunt elk once or twice in their lifetime if ever? If they're not happy about that are they just being selfish?

10-Apr-23
doesnt it really all boil down to this...

ive had these great hunting spots to myself for 10...20...30 years and now that other people are finding out about them im pissed...or i used to be able to hunt my neighbors farm for a handshake and a bottle of scotch but now he wants to supplement his income by leasing the farm and im pissed.

hell...when i first started bowhunting there were about 50k bowhunters in my state...now theres about 350k...should i be pissed?

the frustration is understandable but its hard to call it anything else but selfish.

10-Apr-23
So, do we need more hunter recruitment, or less ? What has been solved in this thread ?

10-Apr-23
rockyd...

were all the articles in bowhunter magazine...that we all poured over back in the day... whoring out valued resources for personal gain too? the writer made a profit, the magazine made a profit, the advertisers made a profit...all off a valued public resource. after all, thats how many of us learned about hunting opportunities in places other than our home state. youtube...and sites like bowsite... are nothing more than the new bowhunter magazine.

10-Apr-23
When does an individual seeking hunting opportunities for themself and their family change from a fellow hunter to a greedy bastard? Who decides if it is okay to trade a couple of days of labor for the right to hunt a piece of property but not the wages from a couple of days of labor? Either way, are we not hoping to secure exclusive hunting rights? Why should a young child who hopefully has many years of hunting in their future after the older hunters are dead and gone get preferential treatment over an individual who has spent their lifetime selfishly working to support their family and society and consequently have never been on an elk hunt or sheep hunt? The list of questions is long along with the list of answers. Unfortunately, there are no solutions that we can all agree on.

10-Apr-23
I am sorry to get off point. I should have asked "When is an individual providing a useful piece of gear or service and when is the individual whoring out valued resourses for personal gain?". Ricky, I guess that that is your point.

10-Apr-23
Ricky the Cabel Guy,

Who said I was pissed? All I said was there's no current need to recruit more hunters out west and for that I'm labeled as selfish.

So it's understandable to be frustrated but if I say anything I'm selfish? Who appointed you the authority on what's acceptable to think or say? Do you even elk hunt or apply for elk tags out west? If not, I don't know what qualifies you to judge others for their opinions on the situation.

I find it hard to believe that the rest of you guys honestly want more competition for elk tags. Seriously, you guys really want less opportunity to hunt elk...?

I'm not disputing that hunter numbers are dropping nationwide but I also find it interesting that wherever I go out of state, the residents complain or talk about too many non resident hunters. I've been harassed a couple times by residents in Kansas who told me to go back Wisconsin and complained about the huge increase in non resident hunters. It's continually getting harder to draw deer tags in Kansas and Iowa and Missouri public land is extremely crowded. You'd think with this drop in hunter numbers you'd see a corresponding drop in demand for tags and fewer hunters in the field but that's simply is not the case. Everywhere I hunt, whether it's out west for elk or in the Midwest for deer, hunter numbers are increasing and there's more and more competition for tags. Why is that if hunter numbers are dropping? If there are already more hunters than there are available tags and the available public land is already crowded, is there really a need to recruit more hunters? At what point have we recruited enough for the available resource? Do we continue to recruit more hunters until the situation is 10X or 100X worse than it currently is? Or am I just being selfish for asking these questions...?

10-Apr-23
Cheesehead asked some excellent questions.

10-Apr-23
Testy little thread here boys

10-Apr-23
I agree about YouTube drawing more hunters. But it really is the internet in general, including this site. I agree, we don’t need to encourage more people to apply for tags out west. I’m selfish too I guess. I have picked up a lot of info on this site and ideas if hunts. Imagine no google earth or forums or YouTube to get info. If people had to buy topo maps and call biologists for info like before, it would be a lot less crowded out there. Sites that compile draw odds and rate units definitely don’t help either. But it is what it is, I’m gonna keep applying and crossing my fingers. And watch you tube, use bow site, google earth, and draw odd sites

10-Apr-23
If you can’t make money on your YouTube channel with hunting maybe you can make money showing other people how to not make money with hunting

10-Apr-23
"I find it hard to believe that the rest of you guys honestly want more competition for elk tags. Seriously, you guys really want less opportunity to hunt elk...?"

by virtue of the fact that you asked this question it proves that your motives are by definition selfish. thats not necessarily a bad thing but if you personally want less competition for elk tags...thats selfish. if youve hunted elk for 20 years...couldnt it be argued that its someone elses turn who maybe hasnt hunted them at all? do they have to wait until you die or give it up to get a chance? theres about 100 million more people in the country than there was thirty years ago...its a pretty good bet some of them are going to want to hunt elk...maybe even in your favorite spot...thats just the reality of the situation.

10-Apr-23
The biggest line of crap in the Youtube and Influencer vocabulary is R3 or the old "We're trying to recruit more hunters". If you believe that for a second, then I have a safe Baker treestand for you. They are merely exploiting our resources for personal gain. Making money or attempting to acquire products or sponsorship so they can go on more hunts and get more free gear. They do it all in the guise of R3. If they were really interested in R3 they would be focused on using the money they earn from their channels and their sponsorships to create public access and improve habitat on publicly accessible lands to provide better experiences for those that get into hunting in addition to recruiting new hunters. How many Youtube guys are doing that? How many of them are supporting conservation organizations? How many of them are supporting their state bowhunting orgs? How many of them are doing anything for the greater good of hunters in general outside of expanding their "follows" or "likes" for monetary gain? There are some out there, and those are the ones worth following or liking, but the vast majority fall squarely into what I just described. It has impacted hunting in my state greatly over the past 5-10 years. Guys in the east just don't get it. No one is making 10k videos about Pennsylvania turkey hunting. If that makes me selfish then I'll own the moniker, because I'm not ashamed to be selfish when it comes to my hunting experience and that of my kids. I'm happy to say it makes us selfish to want to keep our hunting heritage and experiences strong here in the west. So be it.

10-Apr-23
Well said, Justin!

10-Apr-23
Yes sir Brotsky. If there were no money in it, 99% of the social media guys wouldn't give a dam about recruiting hunters. I don't mind new hunters. They've got as much right as me. But we don't need every Tom, Dick, and Harry advertising it. If that puts me in the selfish category, that's fine.

10-Apr-23
The degradation of western hunting and increasing difficulty to obtain coveted tags began a long time before YouTube. To list a few reasons:

Reduction in game populations resulting from habitat loss and degradation due to development, drought, and wild horses (last one primarily impacting NV).

Privatization of public lands and loss of access

Hunting Fool and other types of resources that have continued to evolve for the last 20 years

A generation of aging hunters with disposable income

Loss of opportunity through legislation

Etc….

10-Apr-23
Tilzbow, I'd add privatization of a public resource (wildlife) to your list.

When a river runs thru private property, the landowner doesn't own the water because it's a public resource. He may have rights to use a portion of the water, but he can't control and capitalize on all of the water that flows thru his property. Wildlife is also a public resource, yet a landowner can exclusively control and capitalize on it. IMO, that's where hunting went wrong.

I'm not suggesting that the public should be able to trespass and hunt on all private land. Obviously, that would be ridiculous. But, why should wildlife be any different than water, or any other public resource, in the way that it is controlled and managed?

At one time in Colorado, there was a limit to what a landowner could charge for a trespassing fee. IIRC, it was something like $200 per hunter. I always felt that was a reasonable regulation, although a very difficult one to enforce. At some point that changed and leases to the highest bidders became commonplace and acceptable.

Matt

10-Apr-23
I love the righteousness here. It's great to watch ole Fred Bear and his videos because that was authentic, raw, the way it should be done... or was Fred trying to sell something? Pretty sure Fred didn't go to all that work to not sell his "stuff". I hear a lot of get off my lawn geezers...I certainly don't agree with everything on YouTube, and your right there are a bunch of idiots for sure... but some of you are nothing but hypocrites.

10-Apr-23
Ricky, I've already acknowledged that I'm selfish so you can give it a rest already. How about answering my questions... Do you hunt elk? Do you apply for western tags? Obviously I'm not opposed to other people being able to hunt elk I just don't think there's a "need" to recruit any more elk hunters. I'm happy to share the opportunity with the hundreds of thousands of existing elk hunters. I'm guessing that you must be in favor of completely opening up our southern border and letting everybody in... Or are you selfish too?

Do any of you guys ever consider that the overall drop in hunter numbers nationwide might be partially due to loss of private land hunting opportunities which is partially a result of increased commercialization i.e. leasing and outfitting? And then the hunters who no longer have access to private land attempt to hunt overcrowded public land, have repeated negative experiences and give up.

So you guys who are in favor of increased commercialization and hunter recruitment might actually be supporting the things that are contributing to the decline in hunter numbers.

I'm guessing that the people who weren't very serious hunters have been weeded out and are no longer buying licenses whereas the hunters who remain are more committed and dedicated than ever. Many of those hunters who are disappointed with the loss of opportunity in the east and Midwest are now looking to the vast western public lands to scratch their hunting itch.

Well if nothing else I learned something in this discussion. It turns out I've been doing things wrong all these years... I didn't even realize farmers drank scotch!

10-Apr-23
I never thought of the points that Cheesehead Mike just brought up. But they seem to make a lot of sense to me. I have to agree with him

11-Apr-23
"I'm guessing that you must be in favor of completely opening up our southern border and letting everybody in... Or are you selfish too?"

now this is getting ridiculous...do you actually think legal hunters and illegal border crossers are comparable? i am ok with anyone coming to this country...as long as they follow the legal immigration process...so no...im not being selfish at all. if the influx of elk hunters you are referring to are not following the legal process they are poachers not hunters...and i would agree with you...but thats an entirely different issue.

no...i don't hunt elk but i dont need to in order to understand where you are coming from. a bear tag in the unit i want in my home state is basically a once every 12 to 15 year deal...and thats for a resident. some units you can basically get a tag every year...it is what it is but i would never dream of complaining that there are too many bear hunters...i just figure everyone else has the same right i do...and i dont have a right to hunt bear every year. i drew a tag about 5 years ago and i may not live long enough to draw again.

"Well if nothing else I learned something in this discussion. It turns out I've been doing things wrong all these years... I didn't even realize farmers drank scotch!"

some do... some drink wine...craft beer...and even starbucks coffee...and believe it or not some are anti hunting vegans and wont allow hunting access at any price. many farmers have realized that selling access to their land is no different than selling what they grow on it...just another needed revenue stream. its not that you did it wrong all these years...but things change.

11-Apr-23
Perhaps killing and filling tags has just become " too easy ". This can lead to increased pressure on the resource, point creep etc.

11-Apr-23
"Do any of you guys ever consider that the overall drop in hunter numbers nationwide might be partially due to loss of private land hunting opportunities which is partially a result of increased commercialization i.e. leasing and outfitting? And then the hunters who no longer have access to private land attempt to hunt overcrowded public land, have repeated negative experiences and give up."

Absolutely! I've watched it happen where I live and in my lifetime. It affects kids the most, the segment of the population least equipped to make competitive money. They are just sh@# out of luck and end up doing something else. Is there a link between the uptick and media? Certainly. Once our state become known as a trophy destination it became flooded with hunters (hunting shows, youtube, magazines, forums, etc). "There's a booner behind every tree" type of thing, even though it's rare to find something as big as 150 here. No where close to as many locals hunting as there were 20yrs ago.

11-Apr-23
Rocky, I don't think Mike is suggesting the public should be entitled to hunt private property. He's stating the same thing I have for years. The increase in leasing and outfitting has caused a lot of average hunters to lose hunting opportunities. The ability to hunt a public resource on private land has become an award to the highest bidder.

Matt

11-Apr-23
Those hunters who lease, or hire outfitters, are hunters who purchase hunting licenses. How have they caused a decline in hunter numbers and license sales ? The lands are still getting hunted, just by a different type of hunter.

11-Apr-23
I do not think letting unlimited public hunter types run all over the place on private lands is the answer. In fact, much of this type of action leads to landowner choices such as leasing to hopefully responsible individuals.

Somehow hunters like to go to war with landowners, that seldom works out well for the general public.

11-Apr-23
Leases almost certainly contribute to a decline due to inefficient use of the land being leased.

Most leases are for big game (deer) with the intent to hunt unpressured deer during optimum times. Big game leases normally preclude other active uses of the land, including other hunting uses - small game, waterfowl, upland birds, etc. In addition even on the big game side, leases normally are pretty limiting on the number of hunters . Most leased property could probably support more hunters with a decline on the "quality" of the game seen.

Basically I see leases as creating a situation where land sits unused for a long periods of time, and when it is used, the use is optimized for very limited purpose and limited individuals.

11-Apr-23
"As long as it is on private land it’s not a public resource. That is dangerous language and yes, words matter!"

Words do matter. You should be more careful with yours. Nobody hunts and kills land. They hunt and kill wildlife. Wildlife is a public resource, regardless of where it lives. I don't own the deer, turkeys and antelope that live on my property. That's why I've never felt entitled to profit from them. I am entitled to be very selective about who I allow to hunt them, however.

If you don't think that leasing and outfitting has reduced hunting opportunities overall, then you are part of the problem.

Matt

11-Apr-23
I believe private landowners have the right to regulate hunting pressure on their deeded lands. I am grateful they allow hunting at all, many landowners do not.

11-Apr-23
Hard to believe hunters blame the landowners who allow hunting for their lost opportunity, yet landowners who do not allow hunting seemingly get a pass. They are not even mentioned. Sounds like a bunch of Dems to me.

11-Apr-23
"Words do matter. You should be more careful with yours. Nobody hunts and kills land. They hunt and kill wildlife. Wildlife is a public resource, regardless of where it lives. I don't own the deer, turkeys and antelope that live on my property. That's why I've never felt entitled to profit from them."

yes words do matter...and yours dont really make sense outside an emotional level. landowners are selling the opportunity...not the wildlife. if the landowner was shooting them and selling the animal it would be a different story...they arent...thats illegal. no different than a fishing charter on a public body of water. taken one step further...should the taxpayer directly compensate landowners for crop losses caused by that public resource? if you really want to get out in left field, should a landowner be allowed to sell a crop that was grown by other public resources like sun and rain?

11-Apr-23
I agree, some landowners are selling opportunity, not animals. In fact, not all hunters on private lands kill an animal, that is a fact.

11-Apr-23
" landowners are selling the opportunity...not the wildlife."

Nonsense. If there wasn't any wildlife, the opportunity would be worthless.

.should the taxpayer directly compensate landowners for crop losses caused by that public resource?

Colorado taxpayers fund on average almost $755K a year for wildlife damage to private properties. So what's your point?

Sun and rain? Really? Now you're just being silly. A farmer doesn't have exclusive control over either of those resources.

Matt

11-Apr-23
No, they are selling opportunity. Some hunters on leased lands do not kill an animal, but they still pay. That is an undisputed fact.

11-Apr-23
The landowners aren't to blame for leases reducing overall hunting opportunity.

Hunters are to blame. Hunters are the ones that created the market and are choosing lock land up for inefficient and extremely narrow overall use, not the landowners.

11-Apr-23
I am happy these landowners allow hunting, many do not.

11-Apr-23
"Hunters are the ones that created the market and are choosing lock land up for inefficient and extremely narrow overall use, not the landowners."

Agreed. If it weren't for hunters and outfitters throwing buckets of money at landowners, I'd still have access to thousands of acres I used to hunt 25 years ago. I know I'm not the only hunter who has experience a similar loss of opportunity.

Matt

11-Apr-23
Rocky it depends on how you define efficiency.

If efficiency is about maximizing the largest and least pressured animals for the least number of hunters, then most leases are efficient.

There are exceptions of course, some leases probably do try to maximize the number of people with a larger variety of uses available.

11-Apr-23
Yes, hunters create the market. Do record books and hunting for score play a role ?

11-Apr-23
"A farmer doesn't have exclusive control over either of those resources."

he doesnt have exclusive control over the wildlife either...unless he fences them in. all a farmer has is land that may or may not be attractive to wildlife...which are free to come and go as they please...how many times dont we read about the guy that was targeting a buck that he had on his trail cam...only to hear that it was killed by someone three miles away. lots of hunters pay to lease land and end up not killing anything. youre right the sun and rain statement is ridiculous...that was the point.

i suppose you think are fishing charters are selling fish too?

11-Apr-23
All citizens have the same right to profit from a so called public resource. It is not my problem if some choose to do so, and others do not. We all have choices to make.

11-Apr-23
"Agreed. If it weren't for hunters and outfitters throwing buckets of money at landowners, I'd still have access to thousands of acres I used to hunt 25 years ago."

there you have it in a nutshell...youre pissed because you might have to pay for something you used to get for free. when i was a kid i used to make a fair amount money diving for golf balls at the local golf course and selling them. not any more...used golf balls are part of a golf courses revenue stream...greedy bastards.

11-Apr-23
It is also kind of odd some hunters feel the need to kill a public resource all while calling those who want to save their public resource anti hunting enemies. Perhaps a public resource should be protected for all to enjoy. Is that what some of you Demi's are trying to say ?

11-Apr-23
"i suppose you think are fishing charters are selling fish too?"

That's another silly comparison. How many fishing charters have exclusive control over the water they fish? In about 3 weeks, I'll be fishing the same water that dozens of charters will be fishing. Some of them act like they own the water, but they don't.

I know outfitters whose preferred lease structure is on a per kill basis. If the property produces kills, the landowner gets paid. If not, the outfitter doesn't pay a dime for the "opportunity". If that's not buying and selling wildlife, I don't know what is. Again, if a property doesn't have wildlife, is there any value to the "opportunity" to hunt it? It's an easy question to answer.

Matt

11-Apr-23
Rocky, to your earlier question about Booners aging out - that is happening already, and is at the top of every DNR bean counter worry list. Recruitment isn't coming close to the loss of older hunters.

Sometimes it seems like there are more hunters now than ever. That perception is related to many factors, including widespread leasing of what was previously "door knock" permission. Obviously this compresses public land hunters into smaller and smaller spaces.

In the West, that is also true, but the bigger issue out here is that more people are applying for, and hunting, multiple states than ever before. "Hunt the West while you can" is the nationwide motto now. The info is ubiquitous, and what was once a mysterious process can now be deciphered quickly on the internet.

11-Apr-23
Rocky - what is the resource is and isn't, and what is best for that resource, is largely in the eyes of the beholder.

11-Apr-23
Oh well, we all have the same opportunity, some go for it, others complain. I went with an Alaskan outfitter because it was the law for a non resident. I did not kill anything, but still paid my way.

Some of you will continue to complain but I am afraid it will do you no good.

I am grateful there are private landowners who still allow hunting. Not being a demi, I expect nothing for free.

11-Apr-23
I do not expect anything for free !

11-Apr-23
“I suppose you think are fishing charters are selling fish too?”

They’re no different than any out west outfitter trying to sell an experience, the harvest of an animal or a fish is a bonus. Fishing guides have been a huge part of the decline in the quality of fishing in our waters on the coast. Water gets just as crowded as the mountains do. 100% believe social media is partly at fault for quality hunting out west(but I still watch)

11-Apr-23
I blame onX!!!!!! :)

11-Apr-23
I just blame hunters, they are the enablers.

11-Apr-23
Man this thread has gone off the rails!

It's no secret that a lot of private land that was once available for non landowners to hunt is no longer available for various reasons. My comments about loss of access to that private land was simply my ponderings in an attempt to explain the overall reduction in hunter numbers. In no way was I implying that the public should have the right to hunt private land or that the landowner shouldn't have the right to do what he/she chooses with their land provided it's legal.

I swear, some people are just looking for a reason to be upset and criticize other people. Who really gives a rip if it's my opinion that we don't need to recruit any more hunters out west? It's just my opinion and it's not like I'm going to do anything about it. Just like it may be the opinion of others that they want more hunters out west. I have noticed that nobody in the "you're a selfish hypocrite" camp have answered my question and stated that yes, they do in fact want more competition for tags and less elk hunting opportunity.

For what is worth, I've spent countless hours helping other elk hunters and last year I dedicated the better part of two weeks helping a Bowsite friend (Old School) and his son Levi on their elk hunt. Hopefully what they learned on that hunt will help both of them on future hunts.

I don't really feel that strongly about YouTubers who make money off of their exploits. Most of my comments were just me playing the devil's advocate and pointing out other possible perspectives. It's obvious that some people have those perspectives and it's worth understanding that there's more than one way to look at things whether you agree or not. Some of my comments were purposely extreme.

What I don't understand is why some people are so intolerant of other's opinions and why they are so quick to pass judgement and so quick to be offended and throw out insults. But I guess that's just way all forms of social media are these days. Carry on...

11-Apr-23
What I find ironic is that hunters blame everything and anything, except hunters themselves.

Hunters support leasing, outfitting, horn porn, record books, and unlimited technology to name a few. Yet they peace and moan about lost opportunity.

I view things differently and realize we as hunters have created our own problems. I accept it, no turning back.

11-Apr-23
I agree hunters caused it.

Fixing it comes down a prisoner's dilemma applied to all hunters. Cooperate for mutual benefit or betray for individual reward.

11-Apr-23
Calling Mike selfish is laughable and ignorant.

I guess by some people’s standards I’m selfish as well. I deer hunt private land and I like it that I have exclusive permission. Guess I should be publicly posting my pics along with the landowners phone number and address so I don’t hog all that good hunting for myself and so I can share the woods with 20-30 other hunters.

Don’t know how I live with myself for wanting exclusive hunting rights. Selfish, selfish, selfish…

11-Apr-23
"That's another silly comparison. How many fishing charters have exclusive control over the water they fish?"

you say its a silly comparison but is it? fishing charters are selling fish in the same way a farmer is selling deer. that is to say they arent. sure, other people can fish the same water but other people can also hunt the same deer because they are not confined to one piece of property. when you hire a fish charter, they don't control the water but they control the boat and where it goes. you pay for the right to be on someones boat...just like you pay for the right to be on someones land. the deer and the fish may or may not cooperate. plain and simple, its not the deer or the fish that are being sold...its the opportunity that is being sold.

i imagine an outfitter would absolutely love a per kill lease structure...but you can bet your ass that the outfitter isnt offering his service to the client on the same basis...hes going to get paid no matter what. how many outfitters do you know that only charge if the client is successful?

this all boils down to not liking the fact that you might have to pay for what you used to get for free. the easy way around all this is to buy your own land...improve it... maintain it... patrol it...pay the taxes on in...cover the liability on it...and then you can let anyone that asks hunt it for a handshake and a bottle of scotch...or a six pack of bud light.

11-Apr-23
So Ricky, I'm guessing it's safe to assume that you believe there is a "NEED" to recruit more bear hunters in the unit you hunt...

11-Apr-23
i think there is a need to recruit more hunters period...what and where they hunt is up to them...if it happens to be in my neck of the woods...so be it. the time to recruit more hunters is now...not when the current crop ages out...if we wait until then, it will be too late and the resource will pay the price.

11-Apr-23
"fishing charters are selling fish in the same way a farmer is selling deer. that is to say they arent. sure, other people can fish the same water but other people can also hunt the same deer because they are not confined to one piece of property. "

Again, more nonsense, but I'm learning to expect that from you. Equating a fishing charter to leasing a private hunting property is ridiculous. Now, if charter captains could somehow lease the water, and keep other fisherman out, then it would be a reasonable comparison, but that's not how it works, and you know it.

An outfitter gets paid for services he renders. And, yes, some do charge a trophy fee for a successful hunt. I noticed you continue to avoid my question. Is there any hunting "opportunity" value to a property that doesn't hold wildlife? Is there any fishing "opportunity" value to waters that don't hold fish? Simple questions, but you won't answer them because the answers don't fit your argument.

"this all boils down to not liking the fact that you might have to pay for what you used to get for free."

More typical nonsense from you. Where did I ever say I got to hunt properties for free? I always earned my access. Many landowners used to welcomed some free labor in return for hunting permission, especially when the hunter had construction and cowboying skills. Not so much, anymore.

Gee, buy your own land and control the hunting on it. Now there's a brilliant idea. I did exactly that 25 years ago. But, I've never charged a dime to hunt the wildlife that live on my property because I don't own them.

Matt

11-Apr-23
"Is there any fishing "opportunity" value to waters that don't hold fish? Simple questions, but you won't answer them because the answers don't fit your argument."

i didnt answer it because it was stupid. of course theres no hunting or fishing opportunities for land and lakes that hold no game or fish...but then again nobody is wanting to pay for them either. the better the opportunity...the steeper the price. I could offer to lease my land for giraffe hunting too... or start up a marlin charter on my local lake...but i dont think id get many takers. like i said...dumb question.

" Gee, buy your own land and control the hunting on it. Now there's a brilliant idea. I did exactly that 25 years ago. But, I've never charged a dime to hunt the wildlife that live on my property because I don't own them."

"Many landowners used to welcomed some free labor in return for hunting permission"

i might be wrong but it seems to me you on here complaining a while back about a young man that wanted to hunt your land but never had time to help out.

labor is currency and when you offer it for hunting privileges...thats called a lease. in the legal world they call that consideration.

11-Apr-23
Doing special favors, gifts, summer sausage etc are no different than any other form of payment. It appears cash is king though. What a surprise!

11-Apr-23
"of course theres no hunting or fishing opportunities for land and lakes that hold no game or fish."

Thanks. So you acknowledge that a hunting lease is buying and selling wildlife, not opportunity. Glad we straightened that out.

The young man lost his hunting privileges when he started to take it for granted. It got to a point where the only time I'd hear from him was when he'd text me a week before the season to ask if he could bring 2-3 of his buddies to hunt with with him. It had nothing to do with him not helping out, although it would have helped his cause if he would have offered, at least.

If you don't see a difference between giving permission in return for a little free labor versus selling the permission to the highest bidder, then you're just being intentionally obtuse.

My place isn't large relative to some of my neighbor's ranches, but I have some of the best wildlife habitat, mostly due to 4 natural springs that bubble out of the ground, which is rare in my neck of the woods. I've been offered big money for hunting leases several times. I will never whore out the wildlife that lives on my property because that would only contribute to what I think ails hunting.

You are obviously OK with hunting becoming an activity that only the wealthy can afford. Just remember, there may come a day when you get priced out too.

Matt

11-Apr-23
"Thanks. So you acknowledge that a hunting lease is buying and selling wildlife, not opportunity. Glad we straightened that out."

the only thing straightened out is that you are full of shit. a lease is selling the opportunity...at wildlife. if it was selling the wildlife, why do so many tags go unfilled on guided hunts and leased land? speaking of guides...didnt you used to have an outfitting business? were all of your clients successful at buying wildlife? tell us how that worked. when your clients bought an animal...did they just pick the one they wanted out of your current catalog?

11-Apr-23
One does not have to be wealthy to afford, land, a lease or an outfitter. It may however require hard work, budgeting, and prioritizing. Wealth is not necessary.

11-Apr-23
"a lease is selling the opportunity...at wildlife. "

Now we're getting somewhere. So, that "opportunity...at wildlife" wouldn't be worth selling or buying if there was no wildlife on the property. I think we agree on that. The entire transaction is predicated on the premise that there is hunt-able wildlife on the property. It doesn't come with a guarantee of success, like buying a chicken at the grocery store, but it is still buying and selling wildlife any way you slice it.

Good chatting with you.

Matt

11-Apr-23
"It doesn't come with a guarantee of success"

well then...there you go...a lease is the selling of an opportunity... not an animal...nothing more...nothing less. one particular lease might be a better opportunity than another...but its only an opportunity just the same.

just curious...when you were in the animal selling business...did you refund your clients that didnt get one?

11-Apr-23
RTCG,

Ask GG what his biggest regret is?

11-Apr-23
Tom, he shouldn't need to ask, because I've stated my partnership in an outfitting business is my biggest regret several times. That's because I contributed to the problem for personal gain. The simple truth is, the leases we had eliminated far more hunting opportunities than they created. That isn't even debatable.

Matt

11-Apr-23
Good thread, lots of interesting perspectives.

11-Apr-23
Rocky, when I was outfitting, we exclusively hunted private properties with a handful of hunters, where we could limit hunting pressure with our leases. It’s not rocket science. Limit hunting with exclusive leases, then you can charge hunters who can afford that exclusive privilege anything you want. It’s a whore’s business.

Matt

11-Apr-23
Didn’t want to ruffle your feathers, RK. Our outfitting pleasures and regrets are different. Still hope we can share a toast in person some time.

Matt

11-Apr-23
now whos avoiding the question grey ghost...when you were in the business of selling wildlife were all your clients successful and if not did you refund their money?

11-Apr-23
Easy answer, Ricky. Not all of my clients were successful, but most were willing to pay again for the opportunity, instead of earning it on their own. Matt

11-Apr-23
"Easy answer, Ricky. Not all of my clients were successful, but most were willing to pay again for the opportunity"

its always been an easy answer...they're paying for an opportunity...not an animal.

12-Apr-23
"They are not ruining hunting anymore than my neighbors gay beagle is."

Bravo Sierra!!! You've been in the business 40 years. I wouldn't expect and other repsonse.

In the early 2000's My BIL I had access to almost 1000 acres of private ground in central PA. One tract was 500 acres, the other was ~400. Once PA implemented antler restrictions and inches age class and idiot hit list names became prevelant, both tracts were lost to leasing. Same way with properties closer to home. PA has lost upwards of ~300K hunters since roughly 2000. Every one that I have talked too, every one has talked about loss of access and public ground in a 2 hour radius is a nightmare. Some will mention priorities. If you want it bad enough you'll find a way. And that is true to a certain extent. By and large hunting has been a average man's, blue collar, activity. The North American Game model is based on it. It's is slowly (not sure if it's slowly) becoming a rich man's game. There WILL come a point and time where our voices no longer matter and what happened in CO will happen in other states. Ballot box biology. Brought on in large part by a FYIGM mentality.

As far as the influencers...Sorry they are NOT the Bowhunter Magazine of the 80's or Drury videos in the 90's. These guys have ZERO compunction about sharing trailheads, fishing locations, etc... I've been fly fishing PA for 45 years. Some of our streams provide excellent late winter fishing. Up until 3-4 years ago, I never saw a soul on about 2 dozen different streams. Now, sometimes it's hard to find a spot to park. In conversations with some of the latest crop of flyfisherman I ask how they came about this stream, this location. "Oh, I follow so and so on IG or YT and they mentioned it." Occasionally a Fly Fishing group pops up on my FB feed. One asshat was asking group members to share 5 streams as he would like to showcase them on his YT channel. The private farm I used to hunt (was turned into a state park this past fall) was inundated with the Sitka/First Lite groupies. On several occasions there different groups gearing up, go-pros and video equipment included. They hoped to get some great footage for their followers. And they descended on that property like cockroaches. Had two set up about 60 yards away during late season flintlock. Would have been hard to miss my flo-orange vest. Just yacking away, setting up cameras....

No, the influencers ARE whores, selling out hunting for likes, shares, and follows. What their impact is, they couldn't give two shits.

12-Apr-23
"Bowbender I agree with most of what you posted but it sounds to me that you want to hunt for free."

Except you'd be wrong. Very. Wrong. Wouldn't be the first time...

Two part question:

1. Is access significantly more difficult, especially since big $$'s came into play?

2. Has hunting, the NAGM, benefitted from the increasing lack of access?

And I fully beleive in landowner rights. 100%. WE are our own worse enemy. And if you want to claim survival of the fittest, FYIGM,.... well when hunters drop to 1 or 2% of the population and hunting, specifically bowhunting (cuz the animals die a slow death) is on the ballot box, we'll see how it plays out. May not happen in this graybeards lifetime. My sons? Possibly. My grandsons? Most definitely.

12-Apr-23
Didn't hunters create horn porn along with the demand for the infrastructure to grow big antlers ? Did record books created by hunters help create this demand ?

Hunters were one of the early supporters of ballot box game management, as long as it benefited them.

12-Apr-23
"My point was that it was not the private landowners responsibility to provide the public access to their property."

Agreed.

"In that sense it doesn’t matter that it goes to the highest bidder because you and are not willing to pay for access so you make the outfitter out to be the bad guy."

Guess you missed the part where I said WE are our own worse enemy.

"To think that private prime hunting lands were going to remain a freebie is a whimsical thought."

Wrong. Again. On the very same point.

Once again, for the galactically obtuse:

Has the loss of access been an overall benefit or detriment to hunting and the NAGM?

Now, you can continue to do a two-step around the question because as you put it, they are not points of contention. Except they are. It's the entire driving force behind what this thread morphed into.

12-Apr-23
Hunting is selfish, if you disagree go to the enter-city and load up some new hunters on a bus and take them out to your honey-hole.

I've been hunting ever since I left my diapers and to share hunting with others is just your own lost just like your fishing hole.

There has always been a fight over hunting grounds in history but what change there isn't dead bodies left on the ground from it.

We do not need more hunters just better hunters and all else is BS., I'll stand to this to my dying day which is just vanity anyway.

12-Apr-23
We do not need more hunters, we need to maintain and increase non hunting voters who support hunting. Voters will determine our future. Unfortunately the hunter image and importance to game management is waning.

12-Apr-23
I might add, leasing and outfitting are the very least of our problems. Both are comprised of voters very sympathetic to hunting. Worry about the non hunting voter, not other hunters.

12-Apr-23
"No, the influencers ARE whores, selling out hunting for likes, shares, and follows. What their impact is, they couldn't give two shits."

do you feel the same way about sites like this and the people who post on them? do you consider pat a whore for selling out hunting for clicks...ads...and sponsor revenue? as far as no compunction for sharing specific locations...ive had people on bowsite tell me right down to exact gps coodinates...where to go...what to look for...places to avoid and even which landowners are likely to grant permission for non resident hunters. my first bear hunt was with a specific outfitter that i read about in bowhunter magazine.

12-Apr-23
Just don't seem to get it....

I too have been the beneficiary of such info. From here. And I will take that info to the grave unless the kind folks that gave it to me are OK with me sharing it. There's a difference. If you can't see the difference between the Bowsite and influencers that openly broadcast trailheads, streams, locations on streams, etc for the SOLE purpose of garnering followers, that's a you problem.

BTW, ask Pat how much revenue this place generates.

12-Apr-23
i have no doubt it is significantly more than freelance bowhunters youtube channel...and theres absolutely nothing wrong with that...at least not as far as im concerned.

so do you have a problem with a writer for bowhunter...or any other magazine...writing a story about a specific outfitter or guide...and getting free hunts for giving them the exposure?

12-Apr-23
Ricky, I stayed out as long I could…..elk hunting has grown in popularity in leaps and bounds because of 4-5 main personalities who opted to promote it on YouTube, Instagram and their own websites for personal $$ gain. This started about 10 years ago and has grown so large now due to it, we’re all seeing how difficult it is to obtain a tag…..and if you do, you’re not alone in the mountains any longer. Little websites like Bowsite haven’t been the main force driving the HUGE increase in elk hunting.

12-Apr-23
Why do hunters watch and support these type of shows ? Should the hunters who watch and buy from the show sponsors be shunned from the hunting community? This is a hunter created problem, not a YouTube issue.

12-Apr-23
"Little websites like Bowsite haven’t been the main force driving the HUGE increase in elk hunting."

i think you might be surprised by bowsites reach.

i have no doubt tags are getting harder to get...they are for a lot of species in a lot of states...i get it...i just dont see it as the problem others do. we have the same issues here...for different species. unless western states have drastically increased the numbers of nr tags in recent years, the number of people on the mountain should be about the same...unless of course some of the tags used to go unsold.

12-Apr-23
Nah, it’s a huge problem. You just can’t buy a tag every year OTC on the off years you don’t draw a LE tag like years past. Heck, you can’t even get an OTC hardly any more. Just look at the states you could grab a tag almost every year 10 years ago compared to now. It’s directly correlated to these personalities and their promotion of this valuable resource.

12-Apr-23
I wonder what the interest in tags would be if hunters had to use Longbows and recurves ?

Personally, I bet technology since the advent of the compound has a lot to do with changes in opportunity.

12-Apr-23
Well I watched the video and freelance seems like a honest guy well intentioned. With only 30k subs and 1200 views I doubt he's living large off of YouTube. Wish him well for his future channel.

Now, I was always under the impression that the United States was owned by the people, as in " We The People" and not cry baby hunters who say that their west coast hunting is being overcrowded. Unless you own property out their then you have no right whatsoever saying public land is being overcrowded and tags harder to draw. That's the point of public land so that the public can use it. Go buy a ranch, if you can't on your own then get a group of like minded folk and buy some property. I get so tired of guys who think their right trumps others because they were there first, so of like the idiots I deal with on public land here in Illinois telling guys not to shoot a certain 10 pt becuase they saw it first lol.

Elk hunting becoming popular is do not only to some videos but I think people have figured out that it's a good way to load their freezer without paying and that attitude is going to continue for awhile, so get use to it. The guys complaining about overcrowding are some of the same guys out on bowsite talking about elk hunting and giving tips out, why? If your so worried about other hunters then stop going on web sites and spewing your ideas, strategies etc... About huntng. A line I read a few times is, " we do not need more hunters" wow, that's a f-"'Ed up statement. If that's the case then I would submit the ones who say that and think that lead by example and stop hunting and let others enjoy huntng. Somehow I don't think any of them will do that, they just want others to stop or never start, sound like liberals to me lol.

12-Apr-23
I believe the future of hunting does not rest on getting more hunters. Our future will be determined by having the non hunting voter support us. Hunters and anti hunters are in the minority. Whichever group wins over the non hunting voter, will gain ground. Right now, to me, it does not look favorable for the hunting community.

12-Apr-23
Always guys from east of the Miss. river saying "We need more hunters". None of them have an answer for where they are going to hunt, maybe "that's for them to figure out". Ignorance is bliss on your 15 acres in your treestand.

12-Apr-23
It has always been tough to see the big picture from the confines of a box blind.

12-Apr-23
Can’t even answer the question. I understand why. Because when you do, part if the problem will be staring back at you from the mirror.

The NAGM requires active hunting participation for it to continue to be successful. As continue to drop out with access being one of the major issues it’s not a shallow argument. You can continue to be cute with the smartest guy in the wrong room comments or answer the question. You can’t or won’t because you would see your own complicity in an issue that is not going away and will continue to grow.

I know others have mentioned new or fairly new hunters have given up because of this very reason. So, you can bury your head in the food plot and pretend it doesn’t exist, or have the balls to admit there is a problem, albeit one with that doesn’t have a decent solution.

BTW, I’ve been married for almost 40 years. I stopped worrying about being right a long time ago.

12-Apr-23
Lots of good stuff. What are the logical and actionable solution which can make a real difference ? I mean things that can really happen and perhaps turn back time.

It does no good to complain without offering tangible solutions.

12-Apr-23
Ricky, my perspective from a guy born and raised in Michigan who is a hunting addict and hunted public land there until I moved to CO when I was 29. I’ve lived crowded hunting there and killed a lot of deer on public in Michigan. It IS NOT the same and you can’t simply use the number of tags sold or hunters in the state as a comparison. Out here spot and stalk and covering ground is still king. In the east, tree stands are preferred. I could hunt with the same number of guys on an area the same size and feel much less crowded in Michigan! When you have the amount of guys we have now covering ground, calling and bumping animals around it gets frustrating!! Another factor is that elk and mule deer and pronghorn aren’t found everywhere in the state, whereas deer in Michigan and other eastern states are pretty well dispersed in all areas. With the exception of the U.P. Where densities are low. I bumped into more people OTC last year while hunting than I ever have, in the same places I’ve had little trouble before. And the spots that are easier to access, that I avoid, we’re terrible! And when these “influencers” start throwing out specific areas in states it kills them! And this guy is one who has done this very thing before for whitetail states on his bucks bulls and bears site.

12-Apr-23
Can’t even answer the question. I understand why. Because when you do, part if the problem will be staring back at you from the mirror.

The NAGM requires active hunting participation for it to continue to be successful. As continue to drop out with access being one of the major issues it’s not a shallow argument. You can continue to be cute with the smartest guy in the wrong room comments or answer the question. You can’t or won’t because you would see your own complicity in an issue that is not going away and will continue to grow.

I know others have mentioned new or fairly new hunters have given up because of this very reason. So, you can bury your head in the food plot and pretend it doesn’t exist, or have the balls to admit there is a problem, albeit one with that doesn’t have a decent solution.

BTW, I’ve been married for almost 40 years. I stopped worrying about being right a long time ago.

12-Apr-23
" Always guys from east of the Miss. river saying "We need more hunters". None of them have an answer for where they are going to hunt, maybe "that's for them to figure out". Ignorance is bliss on your 15 acres in your treestand"

Here is your answer, they will hunt (compete) for the same land that's available to you. That's the answer, and you may not like it but that is it. You don't own the public land and it's open to all, if your parade is getting pissed on by other hunters well it's time for you to find a new area or stop hunting.

12-Apr-23
I live in Wisconsin and we have a lot of hunters. I view them as part of the challenge. I am very proud of the buck I killed last year on public land, as there was some serious competition from other hunters. If the western states are being inundated with hunters, they should reduce the number of tags they issue. I have never hunted Iowa but I hear that they limit non-resident tags and charge a substantial fee for the chance at one of the state's great bucks. Western states should view their game animals with equal respect and charge fees that more correctly represent the animal's value to the state and the hunters who pursue them - including residents. Similarly, they should reduce the sheer number of people pursuing the animals throughout season, so they aren't harried for so long a period.

12-Apr-23
“We need more hunters and if you don’t like it you should quit hunting!”

We truly live in a bizarro world now.

13-Apr-23
"It IS NOT the same and you can’t simply use the number of tags sold or hunters in the state as a comparison. Out here spot and stalk and covering ground is still king. In the east, tree stands are preferred. I could hunt with the same number of guys on an area the same size and feel much less crowded in Michigan! When you have the amount of guys we have now covering ground, calling and bumping animals around it gets frustrating!! "

i understand what youre saying...all states have their plusses and their minuses...all states have their game rich areas and areas that virtually void of any game...michigan is no different. sounds to me like your beef is more about the overall number of tags issued than the name on them and how they got interested in hunting elk...isnt it just the age old conflict between what a hunters goals are and what a state game dept goals are?

13-Apr-23
"I also hunt public land. There ain’t no way I’m going to give any details about where I hunt. Go find the spots yourselves. Money be damned"

This seems odd coming from a guy who just told the world where he went fly fishing, and posted the link to a guide-finding website.

Matt

13-Apr-23
^^^ The Rio Grande is long stretch of river. Notice how I didn’t mention what flies we used? Hahaha

13-Apr-23
hypocrisy is never in short supply.

13-Apr-23
^^^It's just 30 miles of floatable water and the fish aren't exactly picky about flies. BTW, I could see what flies your were using in your pics. ;-)

13-Apr-23
"Do you know what section you'll be floating?"

What's even more odd is you asking me what section we'll be floating.... :>}

13-Apr-23
^^^I asked you that privately out of curiosity. I wasn't info-mining. I'm quite familiar with all the floats and know which sections I prefer, and when. It just seems odd that you protect your hunting spots, but not your fishing spots.

Matt

13-Apr-23
^^^ Because its not MY fishing spot. I have many others that I will protect.

Next?

13-Apr-23
I see. So, you took a guided trip to a spot that you didn't find yourself, then posted the details, with pics, for any yahoo to read about and go there. That was disappointing to me.

Matt

13-Apr-23
in my opinion the last few posts illustrate the problem...people take mental ownership of resources that belong to everyone...and then get bothered by others using 'their' spots.

13-Apr-23
^^^And that's where you are wrong, again, Ricky. I was happy that cnelk and his son got to experience a great fishing trip at one of my favorite spots. I'm just not thrilled that he posted about it.

I also wanted to point out the hypocrisy of saying "There ain’t no way I’m going to give any details about where I hunt. Go find the spots yourselves. Money be damned" after posting details about a fishing spot that he didn't find himself and used a guide.

Matt

13-Apr-23
"in my opinion the last few posts illustrate the problem..people take mental ownership of resources that belong to everyone."

Furthermore, Ricky, how do you balance this comment with your earlier argument that exclusive leases don't take ownership of resources that belong to everyone?

Matt

13-Apr-23
The land is being leased, the animals are free to leave.

13-Apr-23
I should say, the opportunity to hunt the land is being leased, the animals are free to leave.

13-Apr-23
WTF difference does it make GreyGhost? The fishing is all C&R. It’s not like the resource is being depleted.

Get over yourself

13-Apr-23
cnelk, if I promise to C&R at your protected fishing spots, will you tell me where they are? What if I hired a guide and he took me to one of your sacred spots, then I posted all about it here, would you be disappointed? Those are rhetorical questions. I know your answers to them.

Matt

13-Apr-23
Do we really need to recruit more hunters and fisherman to compete for the sacred spots ?

13-Apr-23
Was given this advise many years ago about hunting,"Keep your mouth shut if you want to preserve your hunting."

Seen loose lips that ruined another's hunting area, it has been a hunt to get away from hunters and then time to hunt. Selfish, heck yes.

13-Apr-23
"Furthermore, Ricky, how do you balance this comment with your earlier argument that exclusive leases don't take ownership of resources that belong to everyone?"

youre on quite a run with stupid questions...theres nothing to reconcile...there is actual ownership when it comes to the land, and that is what is being leased...there is no ownership when it comes to the wildlife...and that is not what is being sold...ive been very consistent on that. its only when people start thinking they have an exclusive right to something they don't own that there is a problem.

when a person starts to think that any piece of public land is 'their spot' and get upset when other people find out about it...or when someone else gets a tag for a certain area that they think they are entitled to...thats a problem.

13-Apr-23
You haven't been consistent at all, Ricky. In one breath you claim the problem is taking "mental ownership" of public resources. But, in the next breath, you claim an exclusive lease, that effectively does the same thing, somehow is different. That's some serious circular reasoning.

Matt

13-Apr-23
Has hunting become too much of a competition?

13-Apr-23
Yes Rocky, about 20% of the gentlemen here engage in 80% of the negativity.

13-Apr-23
I don’t want to read through all this.

How many subs does the OP have and what’s the monthly gross coming in from the social media? I want those two answers

13-Apr-23
I have not witnessed any negative posts on this thread, just varying opinions.

13-Apr-23
"You haven't been consistent at all, Ricky. In one breath you claim the problem is taking "mental ownership" of public resources. But, in the next breath, you claim an exclusive lease, that effectively does the same thing, somehow is different. That's some serious circular reasoning."

youre a joke. i never said anything of the sort...i said when you lease land you are paying for an opportunity...thats all. unlike you...i have never waivered from that. It was you that said leasing was like buying an animal...right up until you were questioned about your own outfitting business...then you switched to saying it was just an opportunity. thats beyond circular reasoning...that just plain old hypocrisy.

13-Apr-23
Ricky, I'm going to type this one more time, slowly, just for you. There is no value to a lease on a property that doesn't hold wildlife. The wildlife is what creates the value. You can play semantics with the word "opportunity" all you want, it doesn't change the fact that a hunting lease is buying and selling wildlife.

I never said our outfitter leases were just an opportunity for our clients. I admitted that not all of our clients filled tags. I think we were typically about 90%. Almost every time a client didn't fill a tag, it was because he chose to pass on lesser animals and hold out for something bigger. A few of our unsuccessful hunters simply blew their shots. Its hunting, so there are no guarantees. But make no mistake, when we signed a lease with a landowner, it was because we knew his land held wildlife and that's what we paid for, then sold to our clients.

Matt

13-Apr-23
"I never said our outfitter leases were just an opportunity for our clients"

"Not all of my clients were successful, but most were willing to pay again for the opportunity..."

13-Apr-23
With no animals there is no opportunity, and there's no value to a hunting lease. Why is that so hard to understand, Ricky?

Matt

13-Apr-23
I made it through about 1/2 of this thread........ Aside from my brain hurting, my take away is this: I am most definitely, unapologetically, selfish. I like having nearly exclusive access to the private land I currently hunt (aside from bringing the occasional guest or helping the occasional youth hunter).

But.... I have yet to see people offering up days upon days of "unpaid" labor to the farm I hunt on, for the same opportunities I've been afforded. I get a kick out of the jealous comments made by friends of my friend, who's family owns the land I hunt on, to the effect of "why does he get to hunt and we don't?" etc. ...Yup, I'm selfish.

When it comes to public, I'm sure it's all relative. Some parcels get hammered and others don't, tough shit. Perspective of the issue changes with how near and dear the place that is being "overcrowded" is to you. I know I've enjoyed traveling to other states to hunt public land. My favorite is PA public; running around on 10s of thousands of acres of public during the rut, and not another bowhunter to be found. It's like having a 10,20, 30k acre playground all to myself.... hard not to feel selfish!

Whoops....guess I'm also part of the overcrowding problem, too :)

14-Apr-23
Would anyone want my take on the situation?

14-Apr-23
"When it comes to public, I'm sure it's all relative. Some parcels get hammered and others don't, tough shit. Perspective of the issue changes with how near and dear the place that is being "overcrowded" is to you."

yep...the perspective really changes when a person has hunted a specific area for a number of years and they start to think its 'their spot.' you see the same type of mentality when it comes to targeting certain animals on private or leased land. some people seem to think that if they have a particular animal on their cam throughout the year...it theirs...then they get all butt hurt when it gets killed on some other property. they really get bent when they have hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars sunk into habitat improvements and some damn youth hunter kills 'their deer' over a corn pile on their first hunt. they may own or lease the land...but they dont own the animals... and they can go wherever they damn well please.

in my state...people are actually trying to get rid of the youth hunt because they think the kids are killing all 'their deer' before they get a chance to kill them.

14-Apr-23
"Would anyone want my take on the situation?"

I would like to hear it.

14-Apr-23
Yes !

14-Apr-23
"Would anyone want my take on the situation?"

sure...why not...bowsite is like public hunting land...pretty much everyone is welcome...and youre even allowed to disagree with the folks that have been here for 20 years and think they own it...lol

14-Apr-23
Ricky, that’s wonderful that they are making the playing field level for any hunter at any age in your state. No more making the hunt easy just because you’re young. That’s wonderful news.

14-Apr-23
as far as i know, the youth hunt will be in early september. hopefully one of the kids doesnt shoot a buck that has already been purchased by a leaser...that would be almost like stealing...lol

14-Apr-23
This thread resembles public land hunting, and that is the true tragedy.

14-Apr-23
The problem with the thread is, absolutely nothing was accomplished.

14-Apr-23
"The problem with the thread is, absolutely nothing was accomplished."

i dont know if id say nothing...it might seem like a dumpster fire on the surface but you can actually learn a quite a bit about others motivations in threads like this.

14-Apr-23
I have no issue with leasing, outfitting, baiting etc. Not keen on the modern long range scoped and cocked crossbows replacing bowhunters during archery seasons. More and more bowhunters lay down their hand drawn bows for the scoped and cocked bolt machines and are no longer bow and arrow hunting.

18-Apr-23
And now you see with MT why obtaining an elk tag is getting harder and harder and harder. So yes, Instagram and YouTube has impacted this in leaps and bounds.

18-Apr-23
just curious blood...do you think people...especially non residents are entitled to a tag every year? every other year?

18-Apr-23
Hey bud. I think you should be able to hunt elk every year wether it be by obtaining a tag otc or through a points system for a general unit….and not going to CO every year. Haha. And then you apply for LE units to hunt “better” areas every few years. You have to be very creative now or risk getting tags in multiple states that you might not get to hunt with kites time. I’m actually saddened not angry.

18-Apr-23
"Hey bud. I think you should be able to hunt elk every year wether it be by obtaining a tag otc or through a points system for a general unit…."

even if the elk population cant support that?

18-Apr-23
Residents should always get first dibs on the resources. If management goals dictate more harvest than what the residents provide then open it up to NR's to cover the gap.

18-Apr-23
Ricky, you’re missing the point I think. YouTube and Instagram has fed into the whole “it’s so easy to go hunt elk, just go buy a tag thing”, that archery elk hunting is peaking with applicants for a finite resource. I’m just hoping that enough people lose interest in how difficult it’s becoming that there are more opportunities to obtain a tag in a general unit in the future. Good luck to all those who will be chasing bugles this September.

19-Apr-23
i agree catscratch...the only thing i wonder about is federal lands... shouldnt everyone have the same opportunity there?

22-Apr-23
Never gave much thought to federal lands (I haven't been fortunate enough to hunt on federal land so haven't debated it). IF federal lands are not considered part of the state they are located in, not funded my that states residents/tax payers, and abide by separate laws than that state then it would make sense to make the draw equal to all states residents. But, that's just my initial thoughts without knowing much about it.

22-Apr-23
its my understanding that the federal government has complete jurisdiction over federal lands but in most cases they defer to the laws of the state...the us constitution even addresses it in article 4. all us taxpayers pay to maintain federal lands so its a tough call as to whether all taxpayers should have equal access.

22-Apr-23
I’ve never been a YouTube follower of anything. The one thing I’d say about guys making videos and becoming the so called famous YouTuber is that it has caused a few to resort to illegal taking of wildlife due to the fact they have to produce footage to keep their fame. Not all just a few.

The statistics show the overwhelming numbers of people putting in for western hunts is taking off like crazy. Thousands putting in for elk tags. ID, MT are just an example of tags that used to be left over and now are hard to get. I’m not sure where the cap will stop. I agree it sure is frustrating not to be able to chase elk basically every year like we used to. I’m gonna keep putting in for tags until I get lucky or too old to get around.

I guess when I don’t draw that’s gonna give me 2 more weeks of vacation to chase big Whitetail in my home state.

Just something about those Rocky Mountains that fuels my addiction for elk. That’s the hardest part for me is not getting that fix for my addiction.

My opinion is that overall the number of hunters is up and not going away anytime soon. The statistics prove it.

Shane

23-Apr-23
Im one of those that is giving up alot of what I loved due to pressure. Waterfowling is a shitshow here now. Pressure is insane. After 28 years I wont be going out next year. I love watching my dogs work, but every year there are fewer and fewer opportunities to do that. I already told DU no more $1k donations and I wont be renewing my membership. I havent bought a turkey tag since 2020 and I own private. Low numbers dont stop the poachers from south of the mason dixon line. Only reason I still hunt anything is because I can still do it on my 35 acres. Without that I would take up other interests.

23-Apr-23
Why no more donations?

I make those to protect the species, nothing to do with killing the species

Interesting perspective

23-Apr-23
I do not donate to RMEF, Pheasants Forever, or a myraid of other conservation organizations. Why? Because I dont hunt those species so they don't interest me. I am still a sponsor member of NWTF, but I am evaluating that.

22-Sep-23
Monetizing a YouTube channel, especially in niche markets like hunting, can indeed be a challenge. It requires dedication, consistency, and creativity. YouTube ad revenue and sponsorships, diversifying your income sources can be beneficial. Exploring passive income opportunities, like affiliate marketing or selling merchandise related to your channel, can provide a more stable financial base. For those looking to expand their income streams, I suggest exploring passive income ideas. It's a way to earn money without constant active effort, which can complement your YouTube journey and provide financial stability.

22-Sep-23
"Sell your hunting gear and take up knitting."

Or.......sell your video devices and quit trying to make money hunting. If you're going to bitch about the "work" involved in moving cameras around while biking to your stand, go find another line of "work".

I get the feeling you've probably never done a hard day of real work in your entire life.

22-Sep-23
Woods sure were a lot more peaceful and tags a-lot easier to get when they weren’t full of “influenced” hunters.

I unfortunately got to where I could travel and hunt out west just before the “influencing” started. I had a good 2-3 years before it became a cluster to get decent tags

24-Sep-23
I agree 100% sasquatch.

24-Sep-23
The commercialization of hunting through video entertainment will be (and arguably currently is) the downfall of common-man hunting in the US. Very sad.

25-Sep-23
lets be real...is monetizing a youtube channel any different than monetizing a hunting forum like the one we are participating on right now.

no different than any bow hunting magazine or television show.

fred bear started filming and monetizing his hunts long before many of us were born...all to bring more interest to bow hunting and his products.

25-Sep-23
Comparing now to Fred's time is no comparison whatsoever. Every yuppy and his cousin have a damn hunting show now, all trying to outdo the other. I don't mention counties or units anymore on my media.

25-Sep-23
Yes, Ricky, it’s a thousand times different for a multitude of reasons, but I’m not a huge fan of folks mentioning units or great detail on here either.

Go on YouTube and search “Elk Hunt” and start scrolling and counting view totals. Let me know once you get done how many total views there are on “elk hunting” videos on YouTube.

26-Sep-23
do either of you have any idea how many people were introduced to bowhunting...including me...by watching fred bears films? do you know how many "total views" those films had...and continue to have? go to youtube and search "fred bear hunting videos" and see how many "total views" they have.

or how many people...including me...are introduced to bow hunting new species...or new areas...or using new tactics by visiting this site...and many more like them?

the only thing thats different is the medium.

11-Oct-23
Correct me if I am wrong, but a bunch of you guys bashing also like "Big Fin / Randy Newburg!

He has done this very thing and seems like one heck of a good guy! Definitely promotes hunters and bowhunters in a great light! I would hunt with him any day of the week, and think he has a very positive influence on people!

04-Apr-24
Making a hunting YouTube channel profitable isn't too hard if you know what you're doing. I run a channel myself, and it's grown to 40.1k subscribers with some videos getting over 500k views. The key is to create content that stands out and connects with your audience. Sharing tips, experiences, and engaging stories has helped me a lot.

For any YouTube channel, editing is crucial. I use an mp4 editor to polish my videos, which makes a big difference in quality and viewer engagement. This tool helps me cut out unnecessary parts, add effects, and ensure the video flows well. Good editing can turn a decent video into a great one, attracting more viewers and subscribers.

You can check my channel here - https://www.youtube.com/@PhucGirlintheVillage.

04-Apr-24
So Freelance hasn’t been back since you bastards chased him off

: )

05-Apr-24
I'm pretty sure at least one person is making a profit off of this site.

05-Apr-24
Cheesehead Mike for the win. Rarely is the whole picture apparent to a lot of folks. It’s nice to see the other side of things on issues like this. Thanks Mike.

07-Apr-24
Interesting that this thread got bumped back to the top just as another elk tag application season is winding down.

Since back when this thread was most active, the state of Colorado has pretty much made it official that after the 2024 hunting season there will be no more OTC archery elk hunting. Regardless of how you feel about that decision, the result is that the single largest OTC elk archery option will no longer be available. I think it's probably safe to say that the pool of non residents who hunted Colorado OTC is probably one of the largest pools, if not the largest pool of non resident elk hunters in any state. These hunters will now be displaced and many of them will most likely start burning Colorado preference points as well as start looking and applying elsewhere if they hadn't already started.

By eliminating OTC archery elk hunting, Colorado apparently is saying that the resource can no longer support the demand and there is no need to recruit any additional elk hunters; the selfish bastards...

During my 40+ year professional working career it was my responsibility to analyze extensive mathematical data and evidence, analyze numerous other types of evidence, understand and apply legal principals and precedence, etc, arrive at a conclusion and develop an objective, non biased professional opinion that would stand up to all legal challenges. I use a similar process no matter what issue or data I'm analyzing and I attempt to arrive at the most objective answer possible regardless of whether or not I like the answer.

I've been tracking and analyzing archery elk draw statistics in several states and units for 25 years or so. I use that analysis to make long range projections and estimates on when I'll draw various tags in various states and units. For the most part, my projections have been pretty accurate, although increased demand in recent years has resulted in some significant adjustments.

It's common knowledge that Colorado currently has a few premier draw units, a handful of mid tier draw units and multiple lower tier units. In the past I've hunted a couple lower tier draw units and a couple mid tier draw units. Between 2007 and 2020 I drew those mid tier units 4 times, 3 of those times with 2 points and once with 6 points.

My analysis of those 2 mid tier units based on current point creep trends indicates that I would catch those units sometime around 2039-2041 when I'm 78-80 years old with 18-20 points.

But let's forget about selfish me and look at the prospects of the new elk hunter recruits. Let's say one of these new non resident elk hunters buys their first Colorado preference point in 2024 with their eyes on one of those mid tier units which currently take 5-8 points to draw. By my calculations they would catch one of those units around 2048-2050 with 23-25 points. They would catch the other unit sometime around 2060 with 36 points. A 23-36 year wait to hunt units that I hunted 3 times with 2 points and once with 6 points sounds completely ridiculous and hopefully I'm wrong.

Other factors that have to be considered are the impact of OTC elk hunting going away as well as the large numbers of applicants who have accumulated preference points in the last 7 years or so since elk hunting popularity exploded. I can envision the large pool of applicants with 0-7 preference points dumping their points in low tier units so they will be able to hunt (since OTC is no longer an option) and those 0-2 point units could quickly become 5-7 point units. This could have an upward domino effect increasing point creep in all units except the top tier units since the pool of applicants with 20+ points is relatively small.

Hopefully, Colorado going to all draw for archery elk will lead to people burning their points and leveling out of point creep after a period of increased point creep. If leveling out does happen I think it will be too late for older elk hunters to experience it.

Utah is another state that I've done research and projections in. Utah has very few options for low point holders. My point creep and draw projections for Utah are even more dismal than Colorado. There are a couple units in Utah that are about the only options for people who don't want to hold out for years/decades for the premier tags. In one of those units the points required to draw it increased by 6 points in one year and another unit increased by 0.8 point in one year. That means that an applicant with say 11-12 points who has been in the game for awhile with significant money invested and believed they were getting close to drawing one of these units, will never draw one of the units and still most likely will not have enough points to draw the other unit for another 10-15 years. And that's for somebody who currently has 11-12 points. The prognosis is much worse for "new recruits" just getting started. They could be buying into an expensive ponzi scheme that will never pay off in their lifetime.

In the past, Colorado OTC was able to absorb much of the elk hunting tag demand. That will no longer be an option and many of those hunters will be looking elsewhere to scratch their elk hunting Itch. I predict that the loss of Colorado OTC will increase demand for tags in most if not all other elk states. Point creep is a direct result of tag demand exceeding tag availability. If point creep does not somehow level out, I don't see how the system will continue to be sustainable and I don't see how the point creep situation will ever be conducive to recruiting new elk hunters. Nor do I see why (if demand continues to out pace tag availability) recruiting new elk hunters is necessary. I think at some point, if it hasn't happened already the preference point system/process could reach the point of saturation where the sheer number of applicants reduces the odds of drawing so significantly that it could become a deterrent to recruiting and retaining elk hunters. Like it or not, that's my unbiased objective conclusion based on analysis of the current facts. I hope my projections are way off...

07-Apr-24
I would rather push needles under my fingernails than watch you tube hunting shows, but that’s just me

• Sitka Gear