wyobullshooter 29-Mar-24
HunterR 29-Mar-24
JB 29-Mar-24
LUNG$HOT 30-Mar-24
pav 30-Mar-24
Paul@thefort 30-Mar-24
12-Apr-23

Bow Bullet's Link
On March 27, we first noticed our 5-year-old lab's jaw was hanging open and she was having a difficult time eating and drinking. Got her into the vet 2 days later and the diagnosis was trigeminal neuritis. We'd never heard of it. I’ve attached a description I found online. Vet said there is no treatment but most dogs recover within a month. Fortunately she seems to be pretty much normal otherwise. We are now 2 1/2 weeks into this and time seems to really drag. Just wondering if anyone else has had a dog that got this and how it went for you.

12-Apr-23
That’s crazy stuff. Never heard of it. I hope she recovers soon!

12-Apr-23
Never heard of it either. Hope she recovers soon.

12-Apr-23
Usually from a blow to the head,I've seen it permanent where they could barely open the mouth.But hopefully temporary.

12-Apr-23
Like 4nolz said. My dad's girlfriend was hitting golf balls in the yard and his 5yr old springer spaniel female ran in front her. Golf ball hit her in the head about 10ft away from the tee. My dad was out of town. I got a call from his girlfriend and I could hardly understand her because she was crying so bad. It knocked the dog out cold. She was kind of starting to come to when I got to his house. But both of her eyes were rolled back into her head and she didn't have any control over her tongue or lower jaw. Took about a week for both of her eyes to actually look normal and track right. I think it took her lower jaw about 3 weeks to get right and her tongue would still hang out for at least a month.

12-Apr-23
Thanks guys. Pretty sure she didn't get hit in the head because she's usually with one of us unless it happened at the doggie daycare when she was there on the 24th but she seemed totally normal until the 27th. As I mentioned, except for her jaw function, everything stills seems normal. She can't fully close her jaw and is not able to chew anything crunchy. We had to switch her to canned food and she can eat eat that with some effort. And when she drinks she laps and laps but doesn't get much down. Hopefully she'll be over this soon.

12-Apr-23
Praying for your dog! I know how special they are and how you must feel. God’s got this Brad!

12-Apr-23
I've never heard of this either, but I do want to know about it, and how your dog is doing. Please keep us updated!

12-Apr-23
As a veterinarian I have seen this quite a few times. I think I only had one that didn’t recover most of normal function. Frustrating for owners and vets because the only thing that seems to cure it is time. I like to be able to treat a condition that I diagnose and get the dog better. As stated, no treatment has shown to speed up recovery. A fair amount of dogs that do recover still get some muscle wasting of the temporal (top of the head) muscles.

I would echo the article: do things that make it easier for your dog to eat and drink. Raising up the food and water bowls is relatively easy and helps them to use less effort to get it down their throat. Sometimes feeding them small “meatballs” of canned food out of your hand can be helpful. Even raising their head and dropping them in. They will learn to swallow them. May not need to go to that extreme, but dry food only probably won’t work for awhile.

12-Apr-23
Never heard of it but keep faith and trust your vet.

13-Apr-23
txhunter58, is this like TMJ in humans where the trig is lock? I had this a few yrs ago, woke up and my jaw was lock shut, couldn't hardly eat anything just was able to suck in fluids for several wks, good weight loss. Went to the dentist and PT and they couldn't do anything, finally seen an oral surgeon and he gave me several shots of novocain in the trig and fixed it immediately, claim that I must had taken some blows to the jaw earlier in life, he was right between football, few fights as a kid and a car accident. It does seem to be very similar and relaxing the trig seem would be a benefit, but I am not a vet.

13-Apr-23
New one on me sure hope your dog has a full recovery Good Luck Lewis

13-Apr-23
jjs it's more the temporal and masseter muscles than the tmj joint.Think the muscles that flex when you chew(temple/jaw).They can atrophy (shrink) with time making it hard to open the mouth.

13-Apr-23
Jj. There is another condition in dogs that causes them to not be able to open their mouth. MMM (Masticatory Muscle Myositis). That disease generally responds to long term cortisone (usually Prednisone) but almost always seems to cause muscle wasting. Can’t remember one that didn’t get better clinically, but many are never completely normal.

13-Apr-23
Another disease that can confuse things also causes a dog to not be able to open their mouth. If you try and open it for them, it’s very painful and they scream! Anyone know the mostly likely cause of that?

13-Apr-23
Well maybe it just took posting this thread to make something happen. After 17 days with no improvement, Angel is showing signs of taking a turn for the better. I gave her a regular milk bone this morning when we got up and she was able chew it. Not a 100% normal chew because she didn't keep it all in her mouth but she was able to break it into pieces and get it down. And her meals that have been taking her nearly 15 minutes to finish took her less than half of that today. Definitely a feeling of relief. Thanks again for all the well wishes!

13-Apr-23
GREAT to hear!! Will keep pulling for her!

14-Apr-23
Great!

14-Apr-23
Good news

14-Apr-23
Awesome. Keep posting results. Lots of us really care

15-Apr-23
Nice to have a vet on the site

24-Apr-23

Bow Bullet's embedded Photo
Today marks four weeks since we first noticed Angel's issue. As mentioned in my last post, she started to regain her ability to chew about 10 days ago and she is still progressing slowly. She loves eating baby carrots and she can break them up now, though she does drop chunks more than normal. And she's drinking more efficiently which is a relief. Currently her two main issues are discomfort from the nerve sensation coming back and muscle wasting on her head. For the last week she's been rubbing her face on walls, couches, chairs, and anything else she can find, to the point that she rubbed her left eye raw. She's rubbing much less in the last couple days and her eye is starting to heal. The muscle wasting is quite noticeable with small craters behind the eye sockets. txhunter58 - do I understand correctly it's probably permanent?

24-Apr-23
Ive not seen very many with temporal muscular atrophy resolve in 37 years of practice but if she can chew thats the important thing.Is it painful when you open her mouth?

24-Apr-23
Nope, no pain when I open her mouth.

24-Apr-23
Sounds like you are doing all you can, time will tell.Good luck.

24-Apr-23
Thanks for the update Mike. Will continue pulling for her!

24-Apr-23
Yes, unfortunately the muscle wasting is usually permanent. :-(

If she keeps rubbing her face you might visit with your vet about trying prednisone. You could also try Benadryl. 25-50 mg twice daily.

Is she taking any meds currently?

25-Apr-23
She isn't on any medications. Thanks for the suggestion.

25-Apr-23
Hoping that your dog pulls through this and returns to 100% normalcy.

28-Apr-23
I wish your puppy well and be cured of his disease! My dog jumped out of a villa window this spring and we did not notice he was missing right away. He was outside for about an hour before my girlfriend started looking for him. We had been through 2 months of rehab and were absolutely heartbroken. He's totally fine now, but stories like this are still tough to read.

For those who ask about window bars - we travel and choose rental housing, the owners are often against bars.

28-Apr-23

justindaviess's Link
You could probably try making cannabis oil to reduce your puppy's pain, we made it ourselves using tutorial.

28-Apr-23
yeah I'll write you a RX for "Bowee Wowee" :O

28-Apr-23
Hey, just Move to JDs state (California). No RX needed

FYI: JD. If you had read the thread, his dog is not in pain

29-Mar-24

Well it's been a year since we went through this ordeal and I'm happy to report that Angel had fully recovered her ability drink and chew approximately six weeks after we first noticed it. The muscle wasting behind the eyes (picture about 12 posts up) was still there but with time, the muscles returned to normal too. Here she is a year later. Thanks once again for all the well wishes!

29-Mar-24
Aww....sweet girl! Great news and thanks for the update!

29-Mar-24
Awesome to hear. Thanks for update.

29-Mar-24
Very glad she's better. Love good news!

29-Mar-24
Good looking girl.

29-Mar-24
She’s a beauty! Glad all is well!!!

29-Mar-24
Great news. God Bless she truly is an Angel.

29-Mar-24
That’s awesome news!

29-Mar-24
Great news thanks for the update she's a beautiful dog!

29-Mar-24
Angel looks great! Really glad it worked out for her!!

30-Mar-24
Wow that’s a strange deal. Never heard of it. Glad she’s doing better.

30-Mar-24
Looking good!

30-Mar-24

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Teal just said, "LETS GO PLAY SWEET GAL!"

• Sitka Gear