Contributors to this thread:
Johnny Angel 20-May-23
t-roy 20-May-23
Jeff Durnell 20-May-23
Starfire 20-May-23
butcherboy 20-May-23
Beendare 21-May-23
20-May-23
Heya Fellas- Just a simple question...wondering how much potassium permanganate (per cup of water) will give the best results for staining elk antlers? Google has completely failed me in my attempt to answer this question. Thanks for any help you can give me.

20-May-23
You could also search Taxidermy.net. I’m betting there’s several threads pertaining to your question.

20-May-23
I've never used it on antlers but used it to age wood in bows i was working on. It doesn't take much but I don't even think I measured it. I just put enough in to color the water, less than a teaspoon I suppose. You can go back over it again or add more permangante if it's not dark enough. I'd try it on a test piece first.

20-May-23
I never measure it but if I had to guess probably about probably 1/8 teaspoon in 1/4 cup. That is probably light but I like to go over it several times working my way further up the antler each time to get a blended affect. (Edit) I just searched Bing and they said 1/2 teaspoon per 1/2 cup. Which is twice as strong as I said. It is probably a better concentration if you're staining a really bleached out set of antlers. I usually just use if for some touch ups around the bases after simmering a European skull

20-May-23
Agree completely with Jeff and Starfire. I’ve used it a lot for touch up and complete coloring. Works great on elk, not so much with deer. I use a completely different technique for deer.

21-May-23
Call Robert at Capture the Hunt Taxidermy...he will happily tell you.

• Sitka Gear