Zbone 08-Feb-24
spike78 08-Feb-24
Mint 13-Feb-24
DL 13-Feb-24
Zbone 14-Feb-24
DonVathome 21-Feb-24
bghunter 21-Feb-24
15-Jan-24
The AK thread got me thinking. I love ocean fishing and have done it a few times with a charter and diy. I am looking for some suggestions for places to go that are budget friendly. In my limited experience I have learned that some places are cheaper than others. I have had several really good trips out of Cape Canaveral. I suspect it's proximity to the gulf stream combined with some good fishing that is always there have helped me do good on these trips.

I also saw adds for what looked like some good tuna trips out of San Diego.

I suspect there are some destinations in the Caribbean that are cheaper.

I would like to catch fish from 10# - 50#, bigger is fine. I would rather catch 10 20# fish then 2 100# or more. A top priority is also what I bring home to eat so better tasting fish and more of it is good. I know that might contradict my wanting more smaller fish.

My Cape Canaveral trip costs $1,400 for 8 hours plus tip. I am willing to pay that but hoping for less. Looking to go for a few days with 1 or 2 other people.

I am also willing to swap a whitetail hunt on my property if anyone is interested.

Let's hear some ideas.

15-Jan-24
Up this way we have either party boat charters, where you might be fishing with 20 to 40 other guys, or what we call six-pack charters on smaller boats, with 4 to 6 guys splitting the cost.

Some charter captains will put you on the list to fill out a small group that is short an angler or two. (As long as you can be flexible.) Most have websites with details. Good luck!

15-Jan-24
I would go to Rhode Island. Either striped bass in June - July. You can catch all you want up to 50lbs. Then go a little offshore and jig up bluefin from 50-200lbs plus. Or go for giants at the same time.

15-Jan-24
Best bang for your buck is probably Louisiana. It’s expensive, but man it’s a great fishery. Snapper fishing is almost as fun as the tunas and you don’t have to go as far out.

15-Jan-24

Timex?'s embedded Photo
Timex?'s embedded Photo
Timex?'s embedded Photo
Timex?'s embedded Photo
Timex?'s embedded Photo
Timex?'s embedded Photo
Your home location would be very helpful. I run an offshore boat out of va & trailer down to Oregon inlet several times a year,,,,,I'm not charter we just fun fish & split expenses & catch on my boat.

15-Jan-24
Don, what time of the year are you thinking about?

15-Jan-24
Beautiful boat, Timex.

15-Jan-24
Alabama/Mississippi/Texas Gulf.Floridas snapper/grouper limits make it not worth the fuel.

15-Jan-24
Agree with 4nolz. I’m in Louisiana and the fishing is some of the best anywhere but, you’re probably going to spend $2,500 minimum on a charter. The limits are low and the snapper season is short if that’s what you want to target. It’s not worth it in my opinion. The tuna fishing can be wide open or bust depending on which day you go.

15-Jan-24

Timex?'s embedded Photo
Timex?'s embedded Photo
Been talking to fuzzy about possibly doing a trip this summer,,,,ya never know perhaps a few from bowsight get together this summer. 5 head is the max on my little boat.

15-Jan-24

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Timex, "little boat" is relative. This is my little boat. It would fit on your boat's deck, but I've had some great times on it. As you can see, I'm more of a shallow water guy.

Matt

15-Jan-24
Depends. Up here (New England) you could sight fish flats for striped bass in the 3 to 50# range... Or go deeper looking for more fish at the heavy end of that range. As Blood noted you could go chase Tuna too.

I enjoy saltwater fishing up here, it's really fun, especially late summer when you have access to Albies too - those power pellets are fun!

But Ill admit, the variety of fish in FL makes it hard to beat for salt water fun... Hard to go wrong really. We are fortunate to have some amazing fishing in and around the US!

15-Jan-24
Venice Louisiana gets my vote.

15-Jan-24

Timex?'s embedded Photo
Timex?'s embedded Photo
Timex?'s embedded Photo
Catching giant bluefin now ....hope to get down there myself in a week or so.
Timex?'s embedded Photo
Catching giant bluefin now ....hope to get down there myself in a week or so.
Can't believe not a single mention of Oregon inlet nc.

Them boys put some serious meat on the docks

15-Jan-24

808bowhunter's embedded Photo
808bowhunter's embedded Photo
Hawaii has some fun fish. But every thing is expensive here!

15-Jan-24
Van Wormer Resorts, Los Barriles , Sea of Cortez, Mexico. You can get hotel and 3 days of fishing for less than $1,000. The Sea of Cortez gets deep fast so you don't have to go very far out. We caught a huge variety of species light tackle fishing. One day we accidently hooked a marlin within 200 yards of the shore while fishing with light tackle fish. We mostly fished with light tackle but went for tuna one day. When we fished for yellowfin tuna we caught our 5 fish limit in less than an hour and we each brought home 50# of tuna fillets.

15-Jan-24
I would second the Sea of Cortez. Beautiful weather and awesome fishing. Now days i would rather spend my money in the USA, but we all have a choice. Good Luck

15-Jan-24
808, that just aint fair! Thats like comparing a Pinto to a Ferrari;)

15-Jan-24
Wasa little surprised when you said you trailer from VA to Oregon.

15-Jan-24
What about San Diego, CA ? Never been personally, but heard good things out of there

15-Jan-24
Oregon inlet nc, 3 hour drive from my house. Hatteras nc is 4 hours.

15-Jan-24
Marlin fishing out of Cabo San Lucas is good and cheap compared to a lot of other places

15-Jan-24
Fishing is for sissies...8^)))

(That was a joke folks...8^))

I don't fish much anymore, (did a lot when young) but would luv to fish Marlin out of Cabo San Lucas,,, then drink Margaritas at Sammy Hagar's place at night...8^)

Kinda on my bucket list since watching American Sportsman as a kid seeing those billfish breeching water, looks like an adrenalin rush...

15-Jan-24
Tuna fishing ruined fishing for me.

15-Jan-24
An easy trip would be to fish the Pamlico Sound in NC for Red drum and trout. Red drum in the keeper range are fantastic to eat as are the trout. Anywhere near New Bern is great in June through September. I took a family trip to Panama City Florida. The gulf water was like a pond. Amberjack in the 30 pound range were going up and down the coast line. They have concrete piers there and there is a big variety of fish that you catch at their pylons. Going back to NC I believe you can rent a boat in Oriental to fish the sound.

15-Jan-24
Tarpon ruined any other fishing for me.

16-Jan-24

Timex?'s embedded Photo
Timex?'s embedded Photo
My buddy cought this yesterday out of Oregon inlet.

I enjoy it all from catching bluegill in a pond using cane poles with the grandkids, to catching giant bft in winter.

The one thing I just can't wrap my mind around is "intentional" catch & release fishing,,,,

16-Jan-24
I live in Ohio. So far in the ocean I have done 6 person boats usually with 1 other person. Great eating fish is a priority. I love tuna, mahi mahi, snapper, cobia and ever had them side by side to pick one favorite but all were awesome. I am curious about Louisiana, that is news to me.

Time of year makes little difference except not Sep/Oct (elk). Also if a warm destination Feb & March are great times to get out of cloudy cold Ohio.

East Coast would be cheaper/closer but not a deal breaker. I will look into Sea of Cortez that is much cheaper then i thought I would find.

I have done a little DIY with a buddy in FL, he is new and learning but it is cool trying new stuff. I was out with him a year ago and we were trying to catch bait. We had on little shrimp and were miles from shore in 15 -30 feet of water (I cannot remember). I hooked something bigger - hard for me to tell how big with drag set low and unfamiliar rod/reel. I had it one for a minute and then it jumped, monster tarpon! Lost if on first jump and would never landed it on that gear but we all pooped ourselves.

16-Jan-24
I second Grey Ghost. I tarpon fished out of Islamorada this past summer and fighting and catching a 120 pound tarpon on light tackle is right up there with any of my big game hunting experiences.

16-Jan-24
March in Louisiana can be really awesome. Problem being weather.

16-Jan-24
Don, it's truly amazing how many species you can catch on the gulf side of Florida. We go every year for the entire month of May. The list of fish we catch include tarpon, permit, snook, redfish, snapper, grouper, trout, jacks, triple tail, mackerel, cobia, catfish, cuda, and sharks. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. Often times we'll catch multiple species in the same spot. We use bait, lures, and flies depending on the situation.

That said, if your goal is to fill a cooler with fish filets, there are probably better destinations. You really should dedicate a trip to catching a tarpon. It's a fishing thrill like no other I've experienced.

Matt

16-Jan-24
Tarpon is a bucket list trip for me.

16-Jan-24
Thanks guys! I only fished the gulf side once and that was the DIY with other inexperienced fisherman. I was shocked at what I learned you could catch there. Only catch is charters are crazy expensive. DIY is great but a big learning curve for me, best case I can fish 2 days a year there.

16-Jan-24
Any of the gulf states or the outer banks. I think the gulf states are better for longer periods throughout the year. But, if you are on the outer banks at the right time, you’d swear it doesn’t get any better.

16-Jan-24

Timex?'s embedded Photo
Timex?'s embedded Photo
Timex?'s embedded Photo
If your looking to relax & fish a couple days. Wachapreague is about as laid back a place as there is.
Timex?'s embedded Photo
If your looking to relax & fish a couple days. Wachapreague is about as laid back a place as there is.
Google this guy. He fishes out of the same port as myself. Wachapreague va on the eastern shore of VA. He's an extremely good fisherman both trolling for palegics & bottom fishing for tilefish & seabass trips.

Wachapreague has conservatively priced lodging & although I don't know his charter rates He's considerably lower than the oc MD, va beach or Oregon inlet charter rates.

Of those mentioned above the oi boats are about the cheapest @ $2600 plus 20% tip for the mate.

It's worth your time to check captain Neil out, an easy day's drive from Ohio & Wachapreague is an extremely cool little town.

16-Jan-24
I’ve been thinking of moving from hatteras. It’s been really good but, it’s been a while since it’s even been good, when surf fishing. Charters, inshore and offshore have actually been better. The beaches are becoming so crowded and fished so hard. The Pamlico Sound is good fishing as well.

But, the blues are down. They’ve been down. And, numbers are t improving. However, that’s only beach fishing. As all the inshore fishing is still pretty dang good.

I’ll give that town a look see for this coming late spring trip.

16-Jan-24
My son and I have done four or five trips on the Bunny Clark. A head boat up to 26 guys in Ongunquit Maine. Polluck cod haddock are the main fish caught. Last trip in September we brought 67lbs of fillets home. The second trip I had muscle cramps in my arms by noon! Great crew that puts you on the fish.

16-Jan-24

blue spot's embedded Photo
red grouper
red grouper
Don, I will give a plug for an off shore multi day trip on a head boat. Kind of a compromise between a charter cost but still getting you out. I took a trip on the Yankee Capts out of key West. Was a very fun trip. Leave the evening before, start fishing in about ten -12 hours. Then fish about 30 hours before steaming home. This allows you to keep 4 days limit. The trip I like is the halfway ledge. It is a large reef in 150-200 feet of water with deep water all around it. The ship drifts and you can either jig or fish bait. Both methods work good but my preference is to jig. I went in late January after going to the 24 hour races in Daytona with my father. I caught mutton snapper, red grouper and black fin tuna. And a baracuda. I saw a nice wahoo get caught. The variety of fish is amazing. It is also amazing to see the variety of life out on the open ocean. We had ten acres of porpoise around the boat for close to an hour. Not a single tangled or fowl hook. At night under the lights the water comes alive with mullet, squid, shrimp and eels. And of course the fish that come to eat them.

A half way ledge or or pulley ridge lite trip is absolutely on my list of things to do in the near future. They run these trips mostly in the winter /early spring. https://yankeecapts.com/prices-rates/

16-Jan-24

blackfin tuna
blackfin tuna

16-Jan-24

mutton snapper and a fisherman who hasnt slept for 30 hours!
mutton snapper and a fisherman who hasnt slept for 30 hours!

16-Jan-24

16-Jan-24
If you like a variety of fishing, inshore and offshore and you like to bring home fish for the freezer it’s hard to beat Venice Louisiana. Get a group of guys, split cost of charters and lodging and have a blast. If you want captain recommendations PM me. Also surprised no one mentioned Alaska for the king of meat hauls.

16-Jan-24

now if you choose to drive down you could also do some bridge fishing before or after . In the winter the shrimp migrate or spawn and can be caught with a frame net hung over the side of the bridge. Sort of like trolling hanging your net in the current.

17-Jan-24
Wv........ The blues are gone from the chessapeake bay as well. The limit is 2 per person......as far as surf fishing on the eastern shore the beaches are boat access only,,,it's what makes this place so special,,, no barrier island development,,,,it's a 7 mile boat ride through the marsh from wachapreague to the inlet,,,,, flounder fishing is the main attraction during the summer.

17-Jan-24
So467, next time you head to ogunquit check out Eastmans fleet in Seabrook NH. My buddy’s there will put you on fish all day every day. I typically only do 6 packs with Ralph if the great captain Nate and the amount of fish we take him is ridiculous. Go in April right when haddock opens and we all get a 15 haddock limit typically before 10-11 o’clock then we hammer red fish (ocean perch) the rest of the day until our arms fall off.. Tastey little buggers and all ya can catch!

17-Jan-24
This is really good info thanks!

17-Jan-24

WV Mountaineer's embedded Photo
WV Mountaineer's embedded Photo
They aren’t big but, when it’s right, casting the surf for blue fish is as good as it gets.

This pic is One of the few times I’ve witnessed the blue fish blitzing schools of bait from the beach. People were swimming every where. It didn’t bother the blues a bit.

Look at the mullet tail on the beach that washed up as my wife snapped the pic. Pieces of bait fish were every where washing up. I followed that school for a long ways. Caught a bunch and met a lot of people that day.

17-Jan-24
Wv...... When I was a kid my dad would take me to nagshead for my birthday in Oct surf fishing. I've witnessed 10+ lb bluefish chasing 3+ lb speckled trout onto the beach.

The ocean is constantly changing, but a huge part of the changes from nc north to the delmarva can be attributed to the decimation of the menhaden biomass in the region, especially the Chesapeake bay.

17-Jan-24
Yes, the size of the blues are way down. Numbers have tanked in comparison. But, an inshore charter in June is still pretty dang awesome. We landed 54 last year in 3 hours.

I’ve talked with every captain I’ve chartered over the last 5 years and they all claim the blues are down in size but, not so much in numbers. All said that independently. So, the fall off in my diy fishing is likely my fault. It’s just like hunting. Things change by the year. I just hadn’t caught back up. Not enough time to chase them properly.

17-Jan-24
Did someone mention tarpon lol ??tarpon including the babies on fly was something that gets into your head if you let it. I chased those guys for hmmm 40 years and I watched them cause a lot of problems in the life of a lot anglers that chased them including divorces.Im 77 now so I won’t be on the casting platform but my memories will.Good luck hope you find a good trip Lewis

17-Jan-24
What is it affecting the menhaden? None of the captains knew. None of the locals seemed conclusive. I personally believe it’s policy trying to grow so many bull redfish.

I’ve never seen it in person but, videos on you tube shows thousands and thousands of big redfish cruising the shoreline in spring time off the outer banks. A 50”, 35 pound redfish eats a lot. Schools of thousands lining up to get into the pamlico sound in late spring has got to be having some kind of negative effect on prey species. I know they follow the crab migration but, a bull red has no enemies except shark. Those things might be eating all but the largest of sharks?

I don’t know. Maybe it’s something else or several things affecting the blues. Everyone you talk to that fished it 20 years ago said it’s a figment of what it used to be. It’s still pretty dang awesome. But, I’ve watched it change myself in the last decade. I’m thinking it’s time to find another surf destination. And, just do the sound and charters out of Oregon and hatteras.

17-Jan-24
There were a ton of bluefish this year up in southern New England where I fish at least. Biggest ones we've seen in years too. We were regularly getting 10-13 pounders, with one or two over that. Some years it's good and other years not so good. I did a beach vacation in DE this summer with the kids and all we were seeing/catching were small bluefish chasing peanut bunker (small menhaden). There are years we get the big bunker in and others its a lot of peanut bunker. Same goes for the bluefish.

Don, I'm a New England guy and fish for bluefish, striped bass, weakfish, blackfish, black sea bass, fluke and even make an offshore trip for tuna as well every year (yellowfin and bluefin). That being said, I'd still recommend somewhere south like Louisiana or the Florida gulf coast for the multitude of species. That's just me.

17-Jan-24

"Did someone mention tarpon lol ??"

Lewis, my only regret is I didn't start chasing them until I was 50 years old. Fortunately, my wife enjoys the places where tarpon are caught, so she encourages my obsession with them. I never thought anything could compare to the adrenaline rush of calling in and killing a bull elk with a bow until I hooked up and landed my first tarpon.

17-Jan-24
Gg....I lived in FL for 3 years & fished out of Yanketown not far from Homosassa springs. Huge difference between getting a hook in a tarpon & actually landing them. Truly a special fish,,,,but I still enjoy catching the ones I can eat much more. Congrats

17-Jan-24

Timex?'s embedded Photo
Timex?'s embedded Photo
A Canadian owned company that's been overfishing the bay & va coastal waters for entirely to long. The menhaden reduction fishery is controlled by politicians,,,not marine fishery......that should explain it......

17-Jan-24

",...but I still enjoy catching the ones I can eat much more. Congrats

Thanks. These days I'm good with landing one tarpon in a day. After that, I like having younger anglers on board to hand the rod to when we hook up. If we want to catch something to eat, we cruise buoys and other structure looking for 3-tail. IMO, there isn't a better eating fish other than maybe blue fin tuna.

Matt

17-Jan-24
How big was that tarpon, GG? Looks like a big sucker! Fishing for silver kings is pretty high on my bucket list. Just haven’t ever made it a priority yet.

I DID get to feed them at a restaurant in Islamorada (I think), back in the late 80s. Robbie’s maybe?

17-Jan-24

t-roy, we estimated that tarpon at 160-plus. It actually took 2 of us to land it. My buddy fought it for 1-1/2 hours until he was out of gas, then I took over and landed it after another hour long battle. For reference, I'm 6'-4 and 250#.

Here's perhaps my favorite tarpon pic of all time. We hooked it near a popular beach in about 5' of water. By the time we landed it, there was a crowd of 40 people watching and cheering us on. A professional bass fisherman, who was on vacation, waded out and offered to take the pic. He had never seen one in person and he was in awe. That fish was in the 130# range.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Don. As you can tell, I get fired up talking about tarpon, especially when I'm suffering from cabin fever in the middle of winter in Colorado.

Matt

17-Jan-24
T-roy I have been there as well.. before I could even get down to try feed a tarpon I had a bird (pelican?) trying to take the bait fish from me so I raised my hand up and a seagull swooped in from behind me and ripped it out of my hands. damn near took my head off! then I got down to feed the tarpon and those thing really come up for that bait... Almost lost an arm and a head in minutes! ha!

17-Jan-24

wilbur's embedded Photo
wilbur's embedded Photo
Make sure you pay the Tax Man

17-Jan-24

Timex?'s embedded Photo
Timex?'s embedded Photo
Timex?'s embedded Photo
Absolutely delicious...like the juiciest most tender chicken breast you've ever eaten. A splash of soy sauce & a sprinkle of brown sugar & smoked, oh my.
Timex?'s embedded Photo
Absolutely delicious...like the juiciest most tender chicken breast you've ever eaten. A splash of soy sauce & a sprinkle of brown sugar & smoked, oh my.
Triple tail are delicious.....if I had to pick one as my favorite I believe wahoo would be the winner followed closely by blue Marlin,,,some folks frown on killing billfish but as far as I'm concerned they'll just have to get over it. Blue marlin if fantastic.

17-Jan-24
I didnt know I had to go to Oregon inlet until I opened this thread.

17-Jan-24
Timex, I've only caught billfish one time, so I have a question for you. Our boat landed 5 of them in a half day down in the Keys. Every one of them was covered with some kind of filthy slime that resembled diesel exhaust soot. I had to throw away the clothes I wore that day because the stains wouldn't came out in the wash. What is that from, and why does it affect billfish, but not other species?

Matt

17-Jan-24

Lewis 's embedded Photo
Lewis 's embedded Photo
GG great pictures I’m in Tennessee and a lot my saltwater pictures are at our home in Fl. I totally agree that tripletail is incredibly delicious,I had the state and Met tournament fly record on those for several years.A lot of fun to catch. Here’s another great eating fish that I used to love to chase particularly in the Everglades. Unfortunately here is one I had to share with bull.Good luck Lewis

17-Jan-24
Timex - Nice Wahoo...by far my favorite eating fish...pretty fun to catch as well! Catching the Cobia spring migration, also a fun, good tasting fish.

17-Jan-24
Lewis, I agree, snook are delicious too. Unfortunately, you can't kill them in Florida when we are typically down there in May. Otherwise, I'd fill a cooler of snook filets.

BTW, I absolutely love the Everglades, but the sharks can be a nuisance. We've had to cut the line on tarpon, and other species, numerous times when a shark gets on them. We despise sharks.

Matt

17-Jan-24
Did y’all see video of that bull shark pulling that angler out of his boat he was not badly injured but he was back in boat super fast I’m not sure if he barely got wet.Bull sharks are bad to the bone.Good luck Lewis

17-Jan-24
Gg it's some type of protective slime,,,,they strongly encourage them to not be removed from the water for pics ,,,but,,,

They have scales like flat long needles & perhaps the slime is part of that , not sure.

17-Jan-24
GG, believe it or not the slime is antifreeze of sorts, all billfish have it, wahoo too. We always use a 3M type scrub pad to get rid of it before hacking them up. The wahoo, kings and swords anyway. All fish have it, deep water fish(cold water) seem to be thicker

17-Jan-24
I wonder if you could go to AK and do some fishing Nick Muche?

17-Jan-24
Timex and Swampbuck, thanks. I've handled a lot of different species of fish, and I'm somewhat familiar with the purpose of their slime, but I'd never experienced the black soot-like slime like these billfish had on them. It was my buddy's bachelor party weekend. There was 6 of us on the boat. The captain allowed us to pull the one I caught out of the water for a group picture. We all looked like we had been rolling around in a tractor tailpipe, afterwards.

Matt

17-Jan-24

Michael's embedded Photo
Michael's embedded Photo
Michael's embedded Photo
Michael's embedded Photo
A company I used to rent cranes from took some of us on a charter out of Matagorda Tx offshore fishing. At one point we were trolling 50 miles out in 6’ + seas. The only thing that was caught while trolling was a Barracuda. We brought in a limit of Red Snapper though. That was a lot of fun vertical jigging for them. Don’t know the cost of the charter though.

17-Jan-24
Nice!!

17-Jan-24

bigswivle's embedded Photo
July in LA
July in LA

17-Jan-24
I’m from Florida and can fish on either coast whenever I want, I’ll take Louisiana 10x over FL every day.

17-Jan-24
WV and Timex2, I have lived in NC my entire life. My family would always make the June and October Hatteras trips. I can still remember chasing the bluefish down the fish as they were tearing up any fish in their path. You mentioned menhadon. They were so thick in the Pamlico sound this year that it was a little hard to pin point trout. The inshore for red drum was incredible. In june were were catching 30 inch drum quite a bit. In September the flounder came in like I have not seen in years and they were a real decent size too. I duck hunted there last weekend and the bluebills flocks were amazing. Hatteras is depressing to me seeing all of the growth allowed their. On Ocracoke when I was a kid the roads were WW2 steel landing mats for airplanes- at least thats what were were told by the locals.

17-Jan-24
Yep. Hatteras island has turned into nags head in the spring through August. October is the best time for sure.

18-Jan-24
Look at the east cape of Baja California, Van Wormer resorts. Tuna and marlin....we fished for two days, boated one large marlin and came home with 150 lbs of yellowfin tuna. Not an expensive trip. Plenty of good places to go for food, including the hotel. And if you want to play tourist for a day, hire a driver as there's plenty of stuff to see in Baja.

18-Jan-24

Panhandle Bob's embedded Photo

18-Jan-24
Panhandle Bob - What is that blue stripped fish, a Barracuda?

18-Jan-24
Zbone...fresh out of the water small Wahoo.

18-Jan-24
Cool

18-Jan-24
Grey Ghost, I was going to say that I can't imagine hooking a tarpon like that but actually it has been a dream of mine since I was a little kid reading Grandpa's Outdoor Life or Field and Stream magazines.

I'm hoping my dream comes true in late April when my wife and I have scheduled a tarpon fishing trip out of Marathon, FL. Fingers crossed!!

18-Jan-24
Matt no problem! Love the pics, I mentioned I hooked a big one for a minute and 1 jump. I will catch one someday. The can be seen, few in Key West near cool place for happy hour seafood, popular for oysters. Matt you really got me thinking more about tarpon. I do really like fish I can eat. I did catch a sailfish which was awesome! I never thought I would get a billfish - but on a trip in Key West they were around and me and my buddy each caught one. It was cool because his was in the last 15 minutes. We were not allowed to lift them out of the water.

18-Jan-24

DonVathome's embedded Photo
Sailfish

18-Jan-24

18-Jan-24
Cabo will give you some serious value for the dollars spent. I had zero issue bringing fish home

18-Jan-24

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Got this Bluefin out of San Diego 2 years ago. They don’t get the monsters off the east coast. You do get to keep what you catch. Largest I’ve seen caught was 375. The long range boats go offshore into Mexico and catch a variety of game fish including cow yellowfin (200 pound+) Some of the boats are like cruise ships. First class accommodations top notch food. Mild weather and not humid. On some stops you can fish all night if you want. When tuna go on the bite in large schools it’s crazy. Boats are equipped with side scan sonars to locate fish. Look up the Intrepid sport fishing out of San Diego.

19-Jan-24
You guys kinda bummed me out telling of the slime on billfish... Did Hemmingway ever mention that?

19-Jan-24
Good thread !

20-Jan-24
Yes this is a great thread! Thanks everyone!

A tip for bringing fish home - carry on bags. Never get lost and never get weighed. I did have someone in another thread mention they did get weighed but outside of that one never heard of it. I get 70# in my carry on bag and 30# in my personal item.

Always gets extra check at TSA I tell them as it goes through and they never bat an eye.

20-Jan-24
Fun fact. Snook change sex with age. You will never catch a large male! They start out as males then turn into females. IMO this is crazy, I would have never expected anything like that from fish, maybe lower order things like works but fish?????

20-Jan-24
I carry a soft yeti as a carry on home from my hunts. I can put about 55# in it, but now I go 30 max. After a long grind of a hunt, lugging a 50# cooler around airports was the worst!

21-Jan-24

Tilzbow's Link
Good thread! Thinking about those San Diego trips.

As far as bringing fish home, Ice Mule cooler bags in XL or XXL are a great option. See link.

22-Jan-24
808 true! Many sore arms and legs carrying heavy bags:) Good problem to have thought. However I have noticed a pound gets heavier and heavier every year!

22-Jan-24
I am looking at going to Van Wormer in Baja California (Mexico). Probably in May or June but not sure yet. It would be cool if anyone else wanted to get at the same time - PM me if you are interested.

23-Jan-24

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Here’s some SoCal fishing apps. Winter is off season. There’s still tuna around just not like summer. As far as table fare I like Yellow tail better than tuna. They aren’t as fickle to bite as bluefin. Bluefin can be boiling on the surface and not touch baits. This can go on all day and then suddenly they go off. Everyone on here can testify to how hard tuna fight. They need to be experienced. Big ones will test you.

23-Jan-24

grape's embedded Photo
Saskatchewan.
grape's embedded Photo
Saskatchewan.

23-Jan-24

grape's embedded Photo
Sitka AK
grape's embedded Photo
Sitka AK

23-Jan-24
Don't think that Pike came out of the ocean...8^)

08-Feb-24

How bout Great White shark fishing from the beach, wouldn't cost any money for a charter...8^)

08-Feb-24
Wow that’s a dream Pike right there!

13-Feb-24
I went to Ambergris Caye, barrier island off of Belize back in 2000. The barrier reef is 15 minutes off shore and we caught a lot of fish and a lot of species. Renting the boat and captain for the full day was $200. I would love to go back.

13-Feb-24

DL's Link
You could always do this off southern California

14-Feb-24
Thanks DL, now that is my kind of Ocean fishing, stick a big azz shark with an arrow and crank it in with a big azz salt water rod and reel, YEAH, best of both worlds... Always wanted to stick a shark since "JAWS" scared me as a kid...8^)

21-Feb-24
Keeping this thread going. I am trying to book Van Wormer in Los Barriles (Baja) for July or August now. Trying to friends on board and find an opening. I am also going to do some DIY tarpon in Florida soon.

21-Feb-24
Never bowfished for sharks, but would love to. Caught a bunch on rod and reel, those things can put up a fight.

• Sitka Gear