ahunter55 31-Jan-24
ScoutII 05-Feb-24
drycreek 05-Feb-24
808bowhunter 07-Feb-24
Treeline 07-Feb-24
30-Jan-24
Which one, and why?

30-Jan-24
Axis. Way better eating. Much prettier deer and much more alert.

If you’re raising them, axis mature quicker and the population increases faster for more deer to shoot.

30-Jan-24
Why do you ask ? Eating, raising, or hunting ?

30-Jan-24
Axis have about taken over the part of the Texas hill country where we have a weekend place. Literally saw 33 at the feeder behind the house. They are very cagey animals - much more so than the indigenous whitetail population. Most importantly, they are DELICIOUS.

30-Jan-24
Food- Axis meat is tastier than fallow.

Hunting- I have found axis to be more “alert” or “cautious” than fallow.

Taxidermy- an axis rack is impressive. Their hide is one of the most beautiful rugs.

The palmation of a good fallow is impressive.

Breeding- no knowledge.

30-Jan-24
I’ll take one of each please!

30-Jan-24
Which one, and why?

30-Jan-24
Greg pretty well covered it.

31-Jan-24
Are Fallow deer still in Land Between the Lakes in Kentucky and on a Georgia barrier island?

I like the palmated racks of the Fallow, and there are several different color phases in which some are spotted similar to the Axis deer:

Common – tan/fawn, with white spotting on flanks and white rump patch outlined with black horseshoe shaped border. Coat fades to a general grey colour during the winter

Menil – paler colouration with white spots year-round and a caramel horseshoe shape on rump

Melanistic – black, almost entirely black or chocolate coloured

White – white to pale sandy-coloured turning increasingly white with age (this is a true colour and not albino).

31-Jan-24
One of each. Venison. ;)

31-Jan-24
Like Fuzzy suggests..... why limit yourself?!!!

Both species are fun to hunt and are found in an assortment of places. I've hunted axis (chital) in FL, TX, HI, Australia and New Zealand. I've hunted fallow in TX, South Africa, New Zealand and Australia. All great adventures!

Get after 'em!

Pete

31-Jan-24
I had no idea Axis are much better eating. Why is that, their environment/diet?

31-Jan-24
Big Axis bucks are cool

31-Jan-24

ahunter55's embedded Photo
Axis are tougher to get a bow shot, from my experience. We thought the Axis was better eating but both are delicious. I bowhunted Axis 4xs 4 days & took this one on the last day, last hours of my last hunt. I bowhunted Fallow 3xs 4 day hunts & took 2. These were high fence (4000+ acres.) Day lease, no guarantees of even a shot. B/4 anyone says High Fence, it was not put & take guarantee. It was day lease with no guarantees. Now, that being said, I have bowhunted 15 states, at least 95% of my bowhunts for over 6 decades has been public land, in a tent for Bears, Whitetail, Mule Deer, Elk, Antelope & I've done very well.

31-Jan-24
Can anyone suggest places where a guy looking for a warm weather chance at one should go? Not looking for a huge trophy just a decent buck and good meat.

31-Jan-24
Check Texasbowhunter.com message board & rate the day lease. Those fellas will usually point you in the right direction.

05-Feb-24
Axis for sure. They make a pretty mount and the best tasting of all deer. I'm lucky to have them on our place.

05-Feb-24
ahunter55, TBH no longer has the Rate the Day Lease on its new platform, but hit the search function up for Axis Hunts and you’ll get enough info to find a place. Axis bucks start at about $3500 most places and go up by the inch from there. Personally, I’m not interested in trying to eat antlers so I’ve only shot does. They eat real good ! ;-))

07-Feb-24

808bowhunter's embedded Photo
808bowhunter's embedded Photo
Axis is my favorite game to eat and it is the best practice for a spot and stalk hunter. Lost of opportunity but very nervous animals to sneak on. No experience with fallow though

07-Feb-24
Peco,

Fallow really rut really hard, and the bucks end up losing a lot of weight through the rut. It seems like both the bucks and does end up drawn down after the rut. I think that has something to do with the meat quality, kind of like whitetail bucks. Fallow can be very good eating pre-rut.

Axis bucks also get drawn down in the rut but not as bad as fallow and the meat quality seems to not degrade like fallow.

• Sitka Gear