Blood 11-Apr-24
Corax_latrans 11-Apr-24
WYOelker 12-Apr-24
midwest 12-Apr-24
WYOelker 12-Apr-24
BULELK1 17-Apr-24
Corax_latrans 17-Apr-24
22-Mar-24
Archery elk opener in most states starts in just over 5 months. Are you in shape? What’s your exercise routine like this far out? Please share some motivation for us all.

22-Mar-24
Well right now I'm icing the knee I had replace in December after walking a couple miles today. Having the other knee replaced next monday. :) But should be hiking the local ski hill in June. That's my main workout 4 or 5 days a week. Excellent for legs and aerobic. Plus some weight work. Should be healed and ready by end of August. I'm 77 by the way.

22-Mar-24
My exercise routine stays the same, year round. It’s five days a week on tread mill, 30-40 min at a very fast walk with 8-10% incline. And two days a week, weight machine. I’m 73 and have been on similar routine for 40 years. Im not marathon shape at all, but I’ve hunted elk the past five years and will this September.

22-Mar-24
Mountain Tough program here. Been doing it for about 2 years when was prepping for WY elk hunt. HIIT has lots of benefits beyond getting ready for the mountains. It's not just for young dudes like we USED TO be.....

22-Mar-24
Still too early to do anything for elk. I’ve started this time of year before and I peaked by June. No sense in peaking too early, so I start my hiking and rucking in June now. I just hammer the heavy weights to add as much muscle and strength until then. Strength is rarely a weakness.

Plus, I don’t even know if I’ll draw a tag until April or May….so there’s that.

22-Mar-24
Better than I have been in the last 5 years but a long way to go yet. Sheep instead of elk but plan on being in the best shape of my life by September 1

22-Mar-24
I’ve been slacking over the winter.

Got up at 6am while on a family vacation last Saturday. Made a short drive ti a trailhead that goes up a steep 3000 ft mountain.

Got back to the resort in time to shower and good lunch at a local brewery!

I prefer to train on actual trails versus exorcise equipment. It really strengthens all the stabilizing muscle/ligaments. I also found out a long time ago real world hiking helps strengthen everything for hiking down hill as well. I don’t run into knee pain like most that just train in the gym do when hunting rolls around.

22-Mar-24
No.... As I sit here at my desk wondering where the wife and I should go for beer and wings! ha! terrible! Worst of it is yet to come when I load the boat up with beer and sandwiches all summer long.... I have never been one to train really hard for elk hunting but as I age it does get harder out there... I seem to get around fairly well during the hunt but my body is destroyed after.. Yep time to get on some kind of workout routine..

22-Mar-24
Weights in the winter months, soon will switch to more cardio based exercise when my work hours change, running and backpack cardio, if I don’t draw elk I’ll be ready for all other fall hunts, it creates as much mental toughness for me as physical

22-Mar-24
This thread is making me feel bad. I am sitting here the heaviest I have ever been in my life. Carrying the most muscle I am have ever had. But would love to lose 10lbs of fat. As far as the packing and hunting goes. I have 2 boys that will more than make up for my shortfalls.

22-Mar-24
I’d tell you, but a whole bunch of people who’ve never so much as laid eyes on me would tell you I was lying…

22-Mar-24
Five months? Spring bear starts May 15. Just came back from doing hill climbs with 55 pounds in my pack.

22-Mar-24
Yes! But I'm going to be in better shape in 5 months!

22-Mar-24

DL's Link
These guys are ready.

22-Mar-24
I’ve just been walking and doing stairs since back surgery in December. Today was my first physical therapy. I plan to be in good shape by September!

22-Mar-24
In shape, you mean round? Yep im there

22-Mar-24
Lifting and running. Tuesdays and Thursdays are 2-a-days when I get up and hit the road running at 4 a.m. then lift after work. So yesterday was a morning 5K then after work I hit the gym and did 10 rounds of 5 pullups, 5 dips, and 10 pushups, then 4 sets of cable rows super setted with single arm dumbell rows.

The workouts are easy for me to be consistent with. The diet is the biggest struggle but I've been eating clean and keeping sugar out of my life. The diet is at least as important if not MORE important than the training!

22-Mar-24
I’m not doing a damn thing until all the results are posted. No sense in depriving myself of all those Oreos if I don’t draw a tag!

22-Mar-24
Been doing HIIT training 5 days a week and 1 day of lifting for the past 2 years, Sunday rest day. I'm ready for a 10 day hunt right now but working on better training in the kitchen. Would like to drop 10-15lbs by September for my AZ archery bull hunt. Turning 61 next month.

22-Mar-24
Nice, good to hear some of you are on it already. I know it’s early but it’s been on my mind. Last years hunt was really good and I was impressed with elk numbers in the new area I tried. I went into the season in fairly good shape. Cardio was great and my back felt good (past injury). However by about day 4/5 my Achilles tendon on my right heel was screaming. I’ve never experienced that or had any issues there. I can’t point to any specific point in time the injury happened while hunting but it was a rough final 3/4 days. Of course I’m an idiot and kept going like I was fine. Still every once in a while it flames up so I’m worrying about this year. Maybe I need to strengthen my calves more this year to relieve stress from the tendon?

22-Mar-24
First I just had my yearly physical. Numbers were excellent. Doctors happy. Sugar level way down, cholesterol down to 86...... Yes year round exercise works, also low carb diet for me. So for me, I am at my local Y, all water work outs, (military based), and 2 days of medium lifting. I had a accident in 2022, that left my right arm and shoulder disabled, and I am permanent legal disabled, so I shoot a crossbow.

Navy special warfare trainers, who trained high school and college candidates, to pass Navy swim tests, helped me while training at my pool. Since the over hand movement is gone, no more lap swimming., they taught me a combat swim, that still works the core, and cardio. They also suggested a belt , deep water aqua jogging. That took off 26 lbs.....

So at 74, I feel good. I am going cow elk hunting. For fun and meat. Shot a few bulls, so rack means little to me.

I have assistance on removal, and plan to water hole hunt.....

22-Mar-24
Good for you Mike! Love hearing guys who keep churning through the hard times. 74 and still at it. I hope to be like you brother. Good luck this year.

22-Mar-24
Try walk 2 miles everyday with the wife, the shoot the walk thru course 4x a week, various elevation changes. Try to eat healthy, but not always the case. Age 61, and still running around the Colorado mtns.

22-Mar-24
Elk??? I have turkey season coming up. I am 68 years old. I speed walk 3 miles a day up some pretty steep areas. When I get back from morning walk I have a weight routine I go through for about 20 minutes. After lunch I shoot my bow for about 20 to 30 minutes and go for an afternoon walk. I have a treadmill but there is something about walking fast and going nowhere that doesn't sit right with me. I still enjoy playing basketball but I think that may be a torn tendon just waiting to happen.

22-Mar-24
It’s 12 months a year thing for me. Imo better to be in shape all year.

22-Mar-24
In NH you only have to be 15 feet off the road. So I’m good. As long as it’s flat.

22-Mar-24
C’mon. Why can’t we post pics?

Is the cheerleader going down again?

22-Mar-24
Doing pretty decent. With minimal snow, did more outside runs. Hitting the Y 3-5 times a week. Rowing, stairmaster, elliptical, and weights.

Also shooting outside much earlier than most years.

23-Mar-24
Totally slacking…broke my leg the end of November. Now getting Back to full steam on the treadmill and just getting around to doing normal stuff outside on uneven ground.

23-Mar-24
Had a Ladder accident on Feb. 14th/AM and broke a rib #6.

It's been tough but I'm up to 2.5--3 miles a day now walking and improving every day.

I'm meeting with a guy and his Mrs. down on my last year D-Ram unit as she should draw the tag and giving them a hike around into area's I was into rams.

We'll see how bad a shape I am in by next Friday!!

Good luck, Robb

23-Mar-24
Robb, ladder accident climbing out a second floor window on Valentines Day?? Go figure. :)

23-Mar-24
It’s a year round commitment. I’m in the gym seven days a week lifting hard and heavy. I’ll occasionally run when it’s warm out. Did a bulk from the end of November to February and put 22 pounds on. Once February hit, I started carnivore diet. Five weeks in and I’ve dropped 12 pounds and leaned out, but most importantly my energy levels stay consistently high throughout the entire day, my strength maintained if not increased, and I just feel great.

23-Mar-24
I'm in shape. That shape happens to be generally round with a slight tendency toward pear.

23-Mar-24
^ Coondog’s clearly NOT a greybeard!

LOL

Treadmills at the gym will hit a 30% grade, so I load up my #30 of kitty litter in a pack and do brisk walks with steeper/faster intervals. I usually top out around 25% grade on my intervals. Trouble with treadmills is that they don’t challenge your balance like packing weight over a trail does…. And there’s just nothing about sea-level training that can really make the transition to 11k “easy”…

I’m looking forward to clocking some trail miles before it gets too damned hot again. Buddy of mine & I are eyeing a stretch of trail that’s rated as the nastiest in the Northeast… It’s not High, but it’s Steep….

23-Mar-24
Im down 3lbs. 37 more to go!

23-Mar-24
Still doing my workout routine 4x per week (treadmill with pack, pushups, crunches, tricep lifts), but still carrying 5 pounds of "winter weight".

If the rain ever quits, I'll quickly be back to "fighting weight".

23-Mar-24
No! But there is always the last two weeks of August!!!!

23-Mar-24
After 30 seconds on the treadmill I want to punch someone. I hate treadmills. I look at the time and it feels like an eternity. I’d rather go hike up a hill for an hour. And I do. lol.

23-Mar-24
I’m with ya Blood! Don’t always have time to hit the trails so have to resort to the gym most days.

“No! But there is always the last two weeks of August!!!!“

Yeah that used to be me in my 20’s and early 30’s and would be just fine. Not anymore. I’m only 39 but I feel it if I’m not in good shape heading into season.

23-Mar-24
I ran 9.2 miles and drank 6 beers last weekend. I’m prepared!

23-Mar-24
Best thing for me about a treadmill is No Downhills. Up is easier on the knees.

But seriously, guys…. Getting in shape “for the season” is insanity. I had a pretty solid lifestyle the first 40 years, then got busy supporting a family and parked my ass in a chair for 20 years. Damn near killed me.

So last summer I started clawing it back, but it’s like being at 12,000 feet— you give up a foot in elevation and you’ve gotta climb 4 feet to get six inches back.

Don’t do it. If you wanna kick ass 2 weeks out of the year, you’ve gotta bust ass the other 50. No way around it. You can go THROUGH it if you’re willing to suffer extra and take the hit to your overall health, but it’s pretty Stupid.

Take that from a guy recovering from 20 years of Stupid…

23-Mar-24

Corax_latrans's embedded Photo
And FWIW, yesterday was Leg Day….

24-Mar-24
But what’s your skwaat, Corax? ;)

24-Mar-24
Im getting there.

That leg press rack is the last thing I’m going to do.

I’ve had self inflicted Injuries in the past from overdoing it.

I will take doing bleachers or hiking steep inclines before I do heavy leg squats.

25-Mar-24
You’re not wrong about overdoing things and getting hurt. I’m always trying to toe that line, but I need to rebuild some muscle mass…. But yeah…. Dislocated shoulder told me I’m done squatting. I don’t really dare bench, either. Call it Old Dude Privilege :p

25-Mar-24
The bad thing about Rib injuries is that ya can't do sit-ups, crunches, push-ups, any lifting ect---Nothing but just walking for the first few months.

So, I'm just trying to stay motivated and challenging myself.

Out of here in about an hour for the week, I shall find out how I'm doing for sure.

Good luck, Robb

25-Mar-24
Very poorly training for a marathon in June. Between that and training at work I’ll be fine come season.

25-Mar-24
Your first, Yooper?

25-Mar-24
Doing what I always do. Two days of cardio, one day strength training then repeat. Don't miss many days. Been mostly walking for cardio this winter with a few runs mixed in. Usually a 4 mile brisk walk. My treadmill took a poop so haven't been able to use it. Basically I get home from work and exercise for an hour.

25-Mar-24
Turkey season will shed a few pounds, softball season will keep them from going back on, and pronhorn season is the perfect time to get the legs going again….spot and stalk of course.:)

25-Mar-24
……and stairs everyday at work, lots of them.

26-Mar-24
Midwest, yes my first and last. I’ll stick to halves and trail racing from here on out.

26-Mar-24
Good luck!

26-Mar-24
Yep- good luck, Yooper!!!

26-Mar-24
Overrated IMO. It's all mental.

26-Mar-24
I'm stronger mentally when I'm stronger physically. I don't train for next season, I train for the next 20 seasons.

26-Mar-24
Nope. But im working on it.

27-Mar-24
Guessing the detailed version is “I don't train [for a few months] for next season, I train [year ‘round] for the next 20 seasons.”

True Dat. ;)

31-Mar-24
I thought doing this(ACL) in Nov. would give me enough time, but I guess I underestimated the healing time at 53 years old. I have had a lot of sports related injuries over my life, including this knee when I was 16, but never has anything taken this long to recover. Getting a little nervous for Sept.

31-Mar-24

elkocd's embedded Photo
elkocd's embedded Photo

31-Mar-24
elkocd, I’ve had three acl repairs. Along with all sorts of other miniscus and other knee ligaments repaired during those surgeries.

The one thing I’ve learned from all this is keep active. Your knee doesn’t hurt as bad if you stay active. And, weight train that leg until it’s back to the same size as your other.

The stronger your legs are, the better that knee is going to feel.

Unless you are an athlete, it takes non athletes longer to get their injured leg back to strength, then you Imagine.

31-Mar-24
Thanks boys we’ll see how it goes

31-Mar-24
WV Mountaineer I am a life long athlete and have been doing all my PT and weight training diligently. As the weather improves I will get out on my back every day over the summer and hopefully that will also help a lot. The main issue I have is pain, inflammation and mobility issues despite working the thing like it's my job! The knee just seems to be angry all the time and can't get over the hump. Hopefully the next few months I'll see some good improvement.

31-Mar-24
Dam Rick, sorry to hear your having trouble brother. Keep at it. I think you’ll be fine by September. You’ll likely look back and all the sudden It’ll be better than you expected.

31-Mar-24
Something I'll address after draw results are out...

31-Mar-24
I'm working out..... more places to kill elk close to the road. Couple more years and I'll be calling bulls into the highway borrow pit. This year I had multiple bull encounters within 1/2 mile of roads, passed one at 10 yards I called in when I was standing beside a road, and bugled a nice 5x6 in to 8 yards, 200 yards from my truck.

As far as physical stuff,I do kettlebells, run stairs and bike this time of year, plus fishing and a touch of Scotch for after dinner dessert, but don't kill myself working out. Those days are in the rear view.

Hunt smarter, not harder.

02-Apr-24
I’ve gained my winter fluff and am still eating like crap. Now that Easter is behind me maybe I can get things headed in the right direction. I did ride me e-bike like two miles the other day. Does that count as exercise?

03-Apr-24
Damn that knee looks painful.

Heal up smart and well.

My week down in D-Ram country went okay, my breathing was rough and the #6 rib is right there and the heart.

Still feel good about it though. I actually started sit-ups/25, crunches 25/and leg lifts/ 25.

I tried 25 push-ups and made it to 5 and said hell no, I could feel the pain.

Go for it Yooper89!! Exciting.

Good luck, Robb

03-Apr-24

gil_wy's embedded Photo
gil_wy's embedded Photo
I started lifting about 2 years ago and it’s made a huge difference in my metabolism. I watch what I eat but I’m actually trying to eat MORE not less. I finish off my cardio in the summer with a ton of stair stepper work and it works great… nearly 150 miles last September hasn’t felt that good since I was in my 20’s.

The photo on the left was taken a couple weeks ago at age 51… photo on the right was ~age 44…

03-Apr-24
Well done Corey! Looks like you’re ready for elk country brother. Keep at it.

03-Apr-24
WTG Cory!! Fantastic!

03-Apr-24
Strong work Cory! Great job!

03-Apr-24
I read "You Can't Hurt Me" over Thanksgiving and on December 1 I started riding bike in the basement and doing some intermittent fasting. I've dropped 25 pounds since and my cardio is doing better on the bike. Now that spring is here, I go for a 4 mile walk some days. I need to add a pack with some weights for the walk. I also need to start doing body weight exercises to build muscle. (pull up, push up, abs and squats)

04-Apr-24
Hell yeah Gil...

Good for you,

Robb

04-Apr-24
Who's gonna carry the boats, wisconsinteacher?! ;-) Nice work!

Just finished my morning 5K. It's hard to get out of a warm bed at 3:45 am when it's cold, dark, and windy outside. I do better when I do stuff that sucks and when the run is out of the way, I can look forward to the gym tonight.

Always motivating to read the posts here. Keep at it, y'all!

04-Apr-24
Midwest, I wrote that on a piece of paper and taped it to the workout TV!!!!

06-Apr-24

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Nick, you are a perfect example of how consistency, day-in-day-out workout routine becomes the way of life.

I've changed my mid-day snack from Nacho's (I was a Chipaholic!) to fruit and I am seeing great weight results.

Good luck, Robb

06-Apr-24
My cardio is good year round. I started incorporating my weighted pack hikes in February. I’m battling a lot of soreness now especially in an ankle I broke badly 11 years ago. Trying to figure out the right balance. My diet has been crap. That is the difference maker. If I ate clean all year I’d weigh 200 lbs. Any weight below 240 for me I can hunt good and get up and down the mountains well.

06-Apr-24
I thought Cory was going to say, "the pic on the left is what I see and the right is what everyone else sees." Wish I had that level of dedication.

06-Apr-24

gil_wy's embedded Photo
gil_wy's embedded Photo
????

06-Apr-24
^^^^ Lmao!

09-Apr-24
I will say that my sons are giving me WICKED body dysmorphia…. LOL

Sometimes I feel like Kermit the Frog standing next to Stretch Armstrong….

09-Apr-24
Nick is always an inspiration for me!

09-Apr-24
“Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor” Alexis Carrel

Nice work gil_wy and everyone else, keep after your fitness goals!

11-Apr-24

Turns out my legs are in better shape than my feet.

6.5 miles and 1500 feet or so of gain in a pair of boots I haven’t worn in 6 months was not my best decision…

Those Darn Tough socks are pretty darn tough on the unhardened skin…

11-Apr-24
Yeah, Darn Tough are awful on heels. I can attest to that.

11-Apr-24
Glad it’s not just a Me Thing ;)

Kinda surprising that I didn’t have any issues with them in Sept, carrying 3-5 times the weight on much steeper terrain, for the most part, and many more hours/day…..

12-Apr-24
Getting better. January I started not feeling "well". Actually just kind of tired and not wanting to get very active. It got bad enough my wife was upset with me because I was not doing much around the house etc. I was "always tired or not feeling well". Well 2 days after she laid into I ended up in the ER with several blood clots in my lungs. I had one big clot in my lower left lung that was killing tissue, 2 more in my upper left lung and 2 in my right lung. Darn near did me in... With meds things are getting better but now we start the hunt to figure out why. In the mean time we have determined I also have a fib and my heart rate goes crazy.

I am losing some weight via diet and light exercise. But am waiting Echo Cardiogram and some other test before I am allowed to go back to a hard work out schedule. Luckily all the meds and the plan is working great and I feel better now than I did last fall...

12-Apr-24
Keep after it WYO...best of luck!

12-Apr-24
Thanks. It was interesting. Last fall on my sons sheep tag, I had one night where we pulled up to hike into the mountain and I got like 600 yards and could catch my breath and things were crazy. Went back to truck drank water slept in the truck bed etc. The next morning we got up and did over 7 miles with over 3000 feet vertical elevation. I think tings were going sideways back then... Hopefully the specialist I am seeing soon will get it sorted out.

17-Apr-24

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Get that figured out Rob. Blood Clots are not good!

183.6 lbs. this early AM.

I started training with my backpack on, 2 months to the day since my ladder accident and broken # 6 rib.

Starting out with just 12 total pounds and just 1 mile with it on my back/3 days this week.

Fixin' to leave for the gym in about 10 minutes.

Plus, I had my 3rd (since mid-November 2023) Outpatient preventative Skin Cancer Surgery procedure. This time CO2 Laser on some spots on my face.

The smell of burning flesh is creepy.

Anyways, may sound weird but my life is very motivating, and I am happy.

Good luck, Robb

17-Apr-24

Update on last week’s carnage
Update on last week’s carnage
Just a note for anyone who (as I did) may have bitten off a little more than the USRDA….

I slapped a couple Compeed blister care bandaids on my heels last week. I was kinda flinching at the cost of them at over a buck apiece, but they lasted about a week. I knocked out about 35 minutes on a treadmill at 20% incline without issue on Monday night, so I replaced that first pair and went for another hike yesterday (softer boots and cushier socks) and we knocked out 14-15 miles with no issues.

Not that you would want to rest your feet for 5-6 days during a hunt, but for pre-season blunders, they might get you back up & running quite a bit sooner. I’m sure it would have saved me even more grief if I had applied them at the first signs of a hotspot, so the rest of the box will live in my pack going forward….

• Sitka Gear