RD 26-Mar-24
Groundhunter 26-Mar-24
stagetek 30-Mar-24
Jethro 30-Mar-24
Overland 01-Apr-24
Buck Watcher 02-Apr-24
Franzen 06-Apr-24
24-Mar-24
I've been looking into blind options and reading reviews and am unsure what will work for me. I want a durable blind that I can leave up for approximately two months for turkeys. Needs to be decent size and durable enough to not collapse under rain/wind. It will be in an area where there's at least a potential that it gets stolen so I don't want to pay for a Double Bull. Will an Ameristep Doghouse work? It will of course be properly staked down and brushed in. Have looked at the Rhino blinds and they're certainly cheap but look like they will collapse under any inclement weather.

24-Mar-24
I think it will be ok for gun hunting, but near impossible to shoot a vertical bow out of.

24-Mar-24
I would not recommend the doghouse blind for bow hunting it’s okay for gun and xbow.Good luck Lewis

24-Mar-24
You might want to check the daily specials on Camofire. They often have Muddy blinds on sale. They're large and tall enough to bowhunt from. Price range is usually between $120 & 160, depending on size.

24-Mar-24
Depends on how big you are. I’m 6’4” and the Doghouse is tricky to shoot a bow from for me. It can be done but I have to be careful.

24-Mar-24
I see Ameristep hub blinds go on sale for less than $100. that would be a definite upgrade form the Doghouse. Unfortunately it is usually not at this time of year. Usually year end.

24-Mar-24
I'll look into the Muddy blinds, thanks. Most important consideration is that it won't collapse from wind and rain while being left in the field.

24-Mar-24
Menards had the Ameristep caretaker for $80 closeout at the end of the year.

25-Mar-24
Ameristep and Muddy hub style blinds usually go on sale for $89 or $99. I have 6 of em for turkey and antelope and they work great

25-Mar-24
Why not just take it down after each hunt? That is the point of them, takes like 2-3 minutes. If you have a long ways to haul leave somewhere near where you hunt out of sight. You won't have to worry about thieves or weather.

25-Mar-24
^^^^ Because the mice/chipmunks will make swiss cheese out of it if you leave it stashed somewhere.

I have that T-shirt

25-Mar-24
I don't want to take it down and set it back up each time because it will be positioned in a strut zone very near the roost. I go in without a light, extremely early, and quietly. I also want it very thoroughly brushed in. Thanks for the suggestions - I'll look into them all and purchase one soon.

25-Mar-24
Cut you a piece of PVC pipe, 2” schedule 40 , and fit it between the top hub and the ground. Problem solved. Paint it brown if you want and put it outside each time you hunt. I had aCabelas branded blind that I bought for the same purpose, to leave up all deer season. I could easily shoot my E35 out of it. I bought it for a throwaway but I’m danged if it wasn’t way better than I thought it was. I used it three or four years and it stayed up all deer season and was even used as a gun blind.

25-Mar-24
^^^^This. They also make an adjustable center support pole specifically made for the purpose. They work very well for that purpose. Just make sure your blind is staked down securely.

25-Mar-24
If your worried about weather I have started staking mine down with eight stakes. Four in the corners and four from the hub ties. I've had blind survive 45 mphWinds. If your worried about snow. a support 2x2 in the middle to the roof hub keeps the snow from caving them in.

26-Mar-24
Do turkeys care if the hub is brushed in?

26-Mar-24
No, I've shot them in an open field many times. Find a strut hill and set up.

26-Mar-24
Tidewe....cheap...

30-Mar-24
There are all kinds of Muddy blinds listed today ( 3/30 ) on Camofire's Daily Specials. From 100 - 160 $$

30-Mar-24

Jethro's embedded Photo
Jethro's embedded Photo
I have a Barronette. Been collapsed more times than I can remember. Has some tears, cracked hub, and 1 pole I have to put in place manually. Still functioning. About 8 years old and last 5 years has been set up from Oct till Jan. I got my monies worth.

01-Apr-24
Thanks for all the advice. Looked at them all and purchased a Barronett Wide Side 95. Looks like it has a decent chance of holding up. Little bit more than I wanted to spend - will hope it doesn't get stolen.

02-Apr-24
I put a center support in my blinds when I'm not there. I've had snow, wind and even bears collapse them. A wood 1x1 with a hole drilled in the end to fit around the hub nut works good. I've learn to make it a 2 piece and then tape them together since the ground to top hub distance varies when the ground is uneven. I've used 3/4" pvc too but found it not as sturdy.

06-Apr-24
I know I've looked at this thread at least 4 times. Half the time my post was there and half the time not. I posted about an Ox5. Edit: Okay, I'm dumb. It was Lewis' thread.

• Sitka Gear