fdp 05-Apr-24
Thornton 05-Apr-24
BC173 05-Apr-24
fdp 05-Apr-24
Zbone 05-Apr-24
Zbone 09-Apr-24
24-Mar-24

70lbDraw's Link
Apparently we have a killer eclipse heading our way! Traffic mayhem, blind children wandering the streets in fear, expecting a level of darkness never experienced by humans before!

Thankfully our public schools have the solution. Let’s take another day off of school.

Am I missing something, or did I just get lucky growing up not to become the victim of the horrid solar eclipses I’ve witnessed in my day?

24-Mar-24
It’s just more liberal teachings at your public schools. Funded by your tax dollars

24-Mar-24
i went to a store the other day, and there was a note on the door saying they will be closed on that day also,, just not schools closed for the day to watch,

24-Mar-24
It could be as bad as Y2K!

24-Mar-24
"then you flew your Lear jet to Buffalo, NY to see the total eclipse of the Sun"... not quite the same lyric but the excitement is mounting!

24-Mar-24
In 2017 we experienced the solar eclipse down in Idaho. I have driven I-15 from my Montana home for years. That was the first time I have ever seen bumper to bumper traffic jam on that normally lightly used highway through wide open spaces of SW Montana and Idaho. Where all those people came from I don't know but the numbers were almost as staggering as the eclipse itself! The solar eclipse may not be the apocalypse the media predicts, but from my experience you best gird your loins and prepare for the disruption

24-Mar-24
I am sorta considering getting on a plane that morning watching it from an airport and then flying home that afternoon/evening. It would be space available on a buddy pass. So a couple days out see if it looks likely to get there and back. I want to try and get a picture.

24-Mar-24
Do it John, next chance is 124 yrs or so from now... those pics should be awesome with your eye behind the lens! scentman

24-Mar-24
Unbelievable

24-Mar-24
I agree with scentman … John’s pics would be fabulous lol

24-Mar-24
Yawn. I just got done watching the show on Apple TV, masters of the air along with the documentary they did on The Bloody 100th. This is the US Air Force group, flying B-17s out of England that had one of the highest casualty rates of World War II.

That generation of rugged individuals makes every other generation after them look like wimps.

24-Mar-24
"That generation of rugged individuals makes every other generation after them look like wimps."

I disagree... every generation has their wimps and those who stand up. And those who do neither for that matter .

Every man knows which category he's in when he looks in the mirror

24-Mar-24
I agree with Bluedog. All in how you raise your kids. I raised mine to be Lions and not Lambs.

Shane

24-Mar-24
I live right in the middle of the path of the eclipse , luckily I work from home that day.

24-Mar-24
I live right in the middle of the path of the eclipse , luckily I work from home that day.

24-Mar-24
LOL! Lets fly to western NY and hope the sun is shining in April. Good luck!

24-Mar-24
“I live right in the middle of the path of the eclipse , luckily I work from home that day.”

Brace yourself Tony. I heard CNN reporting that once the eclipse is over, the entire population will understand the truth as to why we hate trump!

24-Mar-24
I am hoping for 100% cloud cover over the entire United States. The disappointment of those who are easily entertained would be priceless. Now get back to work and school.

24-Mar-24
4 minutes of total darkness, the horror. Can you imagine if the earth had periods of total darkness every day? Society would cease to exist as we know it.

24-Mar-24
100% total eclipse is just a few miles from me, at my house will be a deep partial of 99.5% magnitude, local news stations have been talking about it for a couple months now, we've already have our eye wear...

24-Mar-24
We have over 4 minutes of total darkness. I won’t be around for the next one, so I will enjoy this one from the front yard. There was lots of traffic in southern illinois during the 2017 eclipse

24-Mar-24
We are smack dab in the middle of the optimum zone, and I surprised at the amount of attention the event is getting for a maximum of 4 minutes and 28 seconds. At least the media coverage is spending quite a bit of time reminding /warning the public about eye care as it pertains to viewing the event.

24-Mar-24
Crazy here in SE Oklahoma they plan on calling the national guard out to broken bow. John I plan on being on the boat at hugo lake with the kids that day.

24-Mar-24
If you want to see something crazy, get on VRBO or any of the vacation rental sites, and see what motels and private homeowners are getting per night for rentals. I checked out some rates in Erie PA just for the hell of it. They are getting $1000- $1200 and up PER NIGHT! And most want a 3 day minimum stay! I'd hate to be one of those sorry suckers if it's cloudy that day! I wonder if anybody is selling "clear sky trip insurance"?

24-Mar-24
Insanity. I’ll watch it on the six pm news that evening.

24-Mar-24
we had a solar eclipse where i live in 2017 if i recall. it was neat to see, but way over hyped. there were places with hundreds or maybe thousands of people parked that traveled to see it. the roads were jammed within minutes it was over.

it was interesting how noticeable the temperature dropped and how quiet everything was for the few minutes it lasted.

there is no way i would travel or care to see another one. as i said, way over hyped. i suppose if you like astronomy you'd feel different about it than i do.

24-Mar-24
All of the town's up through the hill country are expecting to be stacked full of people. And all the roads a mess.

25-Mar-24
Kids are out of school, we watched the last one from my parent's camp at Kentucky Lake. This one goes right over the house. I took the day off, we'll throw some burgers on and make a day of it. If it's cloudy... I'll throw some burgers on and make a day of it.

25-Mar-24
When the last total eclipse was coming over our house in 2017 I thought all the hype was overblown but it turned out to be really cool. I really want to go to our Illinois lease and turkey hunt through it. Can’t do it though.

25-Mar-24
I'll be up my camp in northern PA that weekend for trout fishing. I might as well stay the extra day for the eclipse. I believe we will have 95% coverage in my area. I don't think it will be worthwhile to drive the extra 30 miles north for that extra 5%. I'll just sit in my lawn chair and enjoy a few beers, away from all the crowds.

25-Mar-24
When sometimes thinking about a total eclipse I think about the movie "Delores Clayborn"...8^)

25-Mar-24

Zbone's Link
Here's a link to the best interactive map I found:

https://eclipse2024.org/eclipse_cities/statemap.html

From there you can drill down further to your state and community and will you the exact time and length... Here is an example:

https://eclipse2024.org/communities/USA/states/Ohio/

"Latitude: 40.650061N

Longitude: 81.4520613W

Partial phase start*: 13:58:48 (EDT (GMT-4)), at "04:30 o'clock" on the sun's disk

Mid-eclipse*: 15:15:26 (EDT (GMT-4))

The eclipse in Bolivar will be a deep partial (with magnitude 99.5%)"

25-Mar-24

Zbone's Link
This link is pretty cool, indicates what to expect:

https://eclipse2024.org/mapviewer/index1.html?map=Akron

25-Mar-24
I know a bunch of people taking the day off work to go see it. My kids school wants to have them go outside to have a look (with the special glasses).

It's a really cool thing to see/experience, and creates a great opportunity from a science perspective to talk about the universe with the students. Very cool opportunity.

Ill pop outside and check it out. We dont live in the direct path, but are close enough that we will have some impact - so I'm looking forward to it.

25-Mar-24

TonyBear's embedded Photo
TonyBear's embedded Photo
Event nowhere near where I live but we are waiting for spring and all the flashy cars. These were pretty fast in their day.

25-Mar-24
PREPARE YOURSELF AND BUY ALL THE TOILET PAPER YOU CAN FIND!!!!!

25-Mar-24
I’m more concerned about coming plagues of frogs, flies, and boils, plus, with the upcoming food plot season, my biggest fears are hail and locusts.

26-Mar-24
I live directly in the path. I think it's NOT going yo be bad/crowded.

My quick calc, total eclipes path is 100 miles wide by aprox 1,500 miles long just in the US.

I find it hard to believe enough people will flock to a 150,000 square mile area to make it crowded.

Schools and businesses here are shutting down. Silly.

I am hoping for a clear day which is rare here.

26-Mar-24
Don, I was witness to the last one in the Kentucky area. The drive back home was bumper to bumper on the interstate. This stretch of road is usually pretty free running. My prediction os you will see more people than you think. This just comes from one experience from me and the other people trying to make it home but for that day and that time it was a bit crowded. I hope I'm wrong for your area.

26-Mar-24
My wife was surprised that the schools will be closed. But after 39 years of teaching elementary kids, she said its a smart thing. Like she said , when you tell those little one NOT to do something, they do it. The schools don't want to deal with a legal hassles. And they closed on advice of their lawyers.

26-Mar-24
Schools here will remain open. The district has sent a letter to teachers warning them that kids will be absent because if the natives are out in it and exposed it will cause health and mental issues.

27-Mar-24
The increase in eclipses is obviously due to climate change. I have a peer reviewed study here to prove it.

27-Mar-24
Didn't we just have one of these events in 2017 ? I don't remember the world ending....

I probably have the special cardboard eclipse celebration glasses still laying around for the kids

27-Mar-24
ahawkeye thanks!

27-Mar-24
“The schools don't want to deal with a legal hassles. And they closed on advice of their lawyers.”

Bingo!!! Yet every day they load up thousands of busses with kids and send them out into the world without seat belts. The school system is a joke!

27-Mar-24
Is Pink Floyd getting back together? Maybe that is all the mumbo jumbo!!!!

27-Mar-24
Apocalypto!

27-Mar-24
I live in western NY where the eclipse is supposed to be total , if it’s clear. It’s nuts my county has declared a state of emergency already!

27-Mar-24
I live in Vermont right in the path. It’s supposed to rain/snow. There will be a lot of disappointed people.

27-Mar-24
Turn around bright eyes. :)

28-Mar-24
Advice to anyone close. Go to where it will be totality. The difference between 99% and totality is literally night and day. 99% will be underwhelming, like the sun peaking out from a fluffy cloud. The instant it goes total it’s very different.

28-Mar-24
The sky is falling Chicken Little.

28-Mar-24

LUNG$HOT's embedded Photo
LUNG$HOT's embedded Photo

28-Mar-24

KsRancher's embedded Photo
KsRancher's embedded Photo
Me, my son, my brother and his girlfriend during 1st rifle elk this past fall.

28-Mar-24
Saw my first eclipse as a young boy through my dad's welding helmet. I still remember the old hillbilly next door looking at it through his glasses. If I'm off, I may jump in the plane.

29-Mar-24

Ricky The Cabel Guy's embedded Photo
Ricky The Cabel Guy's embedded Photo
for those who will be hiding in the basement...here you go.

you can thank me later.

29-Mar-24

29-Mar-24
We were in the path of the total back in '17. I took a lot of levity at the hoopla surrounding it as hotel rooms sold out and people scheduled parties. I thought what a bunch of nonsense. But I was pleasantly surprised. It was pretty cool how nature responded to it, the cicadas started signing and things I was not anticipating. Glad I participated in it.

We had one when I was a kid and my mother wrote me a note to get out of class to watch it with a piece of mirror paper. I was one of five kids in the school who saw it

Close the schools, no, but I do think kids should be provided the opportunity to see it.

29-Mar-24
We were in the path of the total back in '17. I took a lot of levity at the hoopla surrounding it as hotel rooms sold out and people scheduled parties. I thought what a bunch of nonsense. But I was pleasantly surprised. It was pretty cool how nature responded to it, the cicadas started signing and things I was not anticipating. Glad I participated in it.

We had one when I was a kid and my mother wrote me a note to get out of class to watch it with a piece of mirror paper. I was one of five kids in the school who saw it

Close the schools, no, but I do think kids should be provided the opportunity to see it.

31-Mar-24
Advice to anyone close. Go to where it will be totality. The difference between 99% and totality is literally night and day. 99% will be underwhelming, like the sun peaking out from a fluffy cloud. The instant it goes total it’s very different.

31-Mar-24
I am just hoping for clear skies here. We live in the path of totality. Not the center but not the edge either. I believe that means we will get less time then at the true centerline. I MIGHT try driving if I can get to better weather. That said that might be what a hundred thousands others do to.............

03-Apr-24

70lbDraw's Link
Uh oh, if the eclipse itself doesn’t threaten your life, the weather during it might kill you!

Of course, if you’ll notice where the article is from, you’ll understand the fear mongering politics behind it.

03-Apr-24

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Here is a buddy during 1st rifle as well. I think we got 90ish % if I remember correctly. Our "homemade" eclipse glasses. 4 or 5 pair of sunglasses.

03-Apr-24
In 2017, we were the epicenter for totality. I tried to find out how much our local government spent on all the surrounding drama, but to no avail. People came from everywhere,,, all across the USA--crazy. Everything was shut down and we did have lots of traffic, but they all left about as quick as they came. It was pretty cool, but overblown hype for sure.

03-Apr-24

DanaC's embedded Photo
DanaC's embedded Photo

04-Apr-24
Don't forget your eclipse masks

04-Apr-24
And your parasols to keep the dark rays away !

04-Apr-24

petedrummond's embedded Photo
we are having an eclipse party at my farm. We are epicenter in Duquoin Illinois. Kids And grandkids will be there too and the best part is Monday morning is the first day of turkey season so I'm getting up and taking my daughter and five year-old grandson, turkey hunting and coming back for the eclipse. same spot as 2017

04-Apr-24

we are having an eclipse party at my farm. We are epicenter in Duquoin Illinois. Kids And grandkids will be there too and the best part is Monday morning is the first day of turkey season so I'm getting up and taking my daughter and five year-old grandson, turkey hunting and coming back for the eclipse. same spot as 2017

05-Apr-24

DanaC's embedded Photo
DanaC's embedded Photo
And then you get these dingdong's. Scares me to think they're serious.

05-Apr-24
We're only a partial eclipse and my daughter told me their school is basically on lock down kids aren't allowed outside etc. What a joke lol She says "Dad please take pictures for me so I can see what it was like." Crazy to think this is the same sun we see every day...

05-Apr-24
“Of course, if you’ll notice where the article is from, you’ll understand the fear mongering politics behind it.”

Yup, the WEATHER FORECAST is just another tool in the vast, Wokist Commie Conspiracy to end capitalism and cancel Jesus….

SMH

“And then you get these dingdong's. Scares me to think they're serious.”

They’re either serious because they’re well-intentioned (but ignorant)… or they’re hoping to worry you enough that you’ll Like or Share their posting and help them build a following large enough to monetize.

05-Apr-24
CL, I post them for mockery's sake ;-)

But all kidding aside, these are the same (yes, ignorant!) dingdong's who think that because they love their kitties, they should have a place on your state's wildlife management board.

05-Apr-24
Corax - cheers. Total derail, but the pet thing made me think of it... Friend of mine, she raises and races sled dogs. Her day job is as an environmental science professor at a university here (she's a PhD). Anyway, she is hilarious when people post the: "Take them inside" memes during the winter, and goes full nuke mode talking about how for many dogs, certainly sled dogs, they would hate life in a 75 degree house sitting by the fire. It's always amazing to watch. She's actually hilarious, because in one breath, she is further to the left than you guys can imagine. I mean, the collective skulls of most bowsiters would explode seeing her DEI/reparations/indigenous/climate change comments... But in the next breath she's fighting for hunting and sled dogs.

People are cool.

Carry on with the eclipse ponderings.

05-Apr-24
I'll be turkey hunting in SW Iowa and looking forward to the turkeys reaction.

05-Apr-24
“We're only a partial eclipse and my daughter told me their school is basically on lock down kids aren't allowed outside etc.”

Did you ask, or challenge the decision to lock down? I can’t imagine the reason being anything more than the teachers unions trying to push their stupidity on their loyal followers. I’d be in their face about it. Then I’d keep my kid home so they could enjoy it with the rest of the country.

So, I have to ask. Just how do they think animals are going to react to an eclipse? Will it be different than the adverse reactions they have when a cloud suddenly covers the sun?

Remember kids, this is the logic you voted for when you put China Joe in charge. He’s doing exactly what he said he’d do if elected. It’s the only time he didn’t lie!!!

05-Apr-24
"Remember kids, this is the logic you voted for when you put China Joe in charge.".....that statement is well....not bright.....but it is interesting to ponder how he could have had such a dominating affect on the reaction of public schools and people...reacting to an event he has -0- control over. All of whom reacted almost exactly the same way during the last eclipse......Hmmm.....

05-Apr-24
fdp, liberalism is contagious……….among the less , shall we say, well, the dumbasses among us. No way to put it mildly, just have to be blunt. ;-))

05-Apr-24
There are a number of things that are contagious in fact.

05-Apr-24
fdp, do you share the same concern as the schools? Do you see a danger to kids that drives you to take shelter?

But you’re right, the teachers unions don’t support Biden or the democratic path to socialism! Lol!

05-Apr-24

fdp's embedded Photo
fdp's embedded Photo
"But you’re right, the teachers unions don’t support Biden or the democratic path to socialism! Lol!"...I'm not sure that's accurate, but also not relevant to the conversation.

I figure eclipse's have been happening since long before we got here and they will likely continue to happen long after we're gone.

05-Apr-24
I will be over Oklahoma airspace in a Grumman Tiger! Pics to follow!!

05-Apr-24
Not only is liberalism contagious, it’s a mental disorder.

05-Apr-24
There are various types of mental/psychological disorders.

05-Apr-24
Hold the phone, they just moved the goal posts... On the news this evening they said the totality line may be off as much as a quarter mile come Monday due to the orbit is not 100% predictable and they now say the Sun may be closer than previously calculated making totality lines a thinner margin...

09-Apr-24

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
We drove about 30 minutes to reach full totality zone and am sure glad we did... We were on a lakeshore and thanks for those that advised 99% is much different experience than totality... The twilight to total darkness is amazing, gave a weird vibe... Some of the birds seemed to freak and spring peeper frogs started chirping as the temperature slowly dropped as is grew deeper and deeper towards totally... We got there early and for and hour or so watched a pair of Osprey break off tree branches for their nests and about 15 minutes before darkness they never came back into our view... It was great though and was a wow moment when the Corona burst out, but I missed a photo shot of a flock of Cormorants flew over our heads during totality with the Corona glowing, would have made a great photo...8^( I took these photos with my cell phone without any kind of a filter... Photo on right was a few minutes before darkness...

• Sitka Gear