Nyati 07-Apr-24
Glidingindian 13-Apr-24
Glidingindian 13-Apr-24
Shug 13-Apr-24
Shug 15-Apr-24
05-Apr-24

Nyati 's embedded Photo
Nyati 's embedded Photo
I know there’s a low of older guys on here. Has anyone had the new minimally invasive back surgery for spinal canal stenosis using a device called Minuteman rather than traditional open back fusion ?

05-Apr-24
That looks interesting. I’ve not seen it before. Had my 4th lumbar surgery at the Mayo in December and when I questioned him about some of the technologies available, he wasn’t favorable to any of them. Ask lots of questions if you’re a candidate for surgery. I wish you well and hope surgery is not necessary.

06-Apr-24
A hollow wall anchor screw!! Have two levels in my back fused and 3 in my neck. I have heard of replacement discs and some newer stuff but never seen the type you posted. Interesting.

06-Apr-24
Growing up on a farm I did a lot of lifting, definitely not the smart way either. Add in the aggressive/ reckless freestyle skiing I was doing and I was already going to the chiropractor by 13yrs old. Then when I was in 9th grade (2005) I sustained a stress fracture of my L5 (I think its Lumbar spondylolisthesis?) which led to slippage and some amount of twisting and pinching. After a 2 week stint of complete numbness down to my left foot and terrible lower back and nerve pain, the feeling began to return slowly, but sporadic shooting nerve pain lingered for months, which eventually turned into over a year. I had started with PT exercises and docs were talking about the possible need for fusion surgery. If I recall correctly fusion was a last resort due to the limiting of range of mobility? Anyways, we sort of hoped that strengthening my core muscles would buy me time until later in life at least, with the hope that technology would improve- somehow negating the need for fusion... So far it has seemingly worked. If I stand around for too long without walking my lower back will ache, but otherwise I'm generally pain free. For now.

It's interesting to me to see this new(?) device. Looks fairly simple. Hopefully I won't be needing it for a while to come.

Wondering for those who have had fusion surgery- how it effected your mobility?

06-Apr-24
After falling 20 ft from a tree stand in early 90s (yes before safety vests) a screw in step pulled out and I fell straight down and landed on my feet. Had a long cut on side from another tree step. I seemed fine and actually hunted from another stand the rest of the day. About 3 days later started having pain in left testicle. Went to urologist thinking it was epidymitis . Then a few days later got the pain and numbness in left leg. Got a MRI and I had blew out a disc when I landed. Got surgery and was fine for another 10-12 years but then herniated another disc. Decided not to have surgery again and did PT and epidural steroid injections and they helped a lot. But now the discs have collapsed and the epidural injections aren’t helping much if any. With the collapse and arthritis buildup in 66 years the nerves are just compressed. Thought I’d try this before jumping straight to a laminectomy and fusion. Just haven’t been able to find someone that’s had it done. It’s a pretty new procedure. I think it’s only been done in last 4-5 years.

06-Apr-24
Going to have to research that. Had my second fusion 18 months ago and nerves are being pinched. Thanks for posting

06-Apr-24
I’m going to have a laminectomy without fusion including L4 & L5 to relieve nerve pressure caused by stenosis, bone spurs, a synovial cyst and arthritis. The device mentioned wouldn’t help with this condition since the laminectomy opens up the spinal canal by removing the bone the device above attaches to. I might need fusion down the road but plan to avoid that as long as possible. I did discuss artificial discs with the neurosurgeon and he told me there was a high possibility of failure due to the arthritis. My PT also told me the same and she said few people are really candidates for artificial discs. I have a feeling the device above is similar as far as having to be a perfect candidate for it to work.

07-Apr-24
Discussing movement after surgery, my neck has 3 levels fused. I have very limited movement. Going to my right my chin gets to my shoulder and that's it. Left is slightly better. Looking over my shoulder for traffic is difficult and I either rely on my wife or a passenger to help out. Otherwise I need to partially turn in the seat. Back has 2 levels fused, last two discs. Does not limit me much but I have to be very careful bending over. About once a year I will bend to do something and my back will feel like the muscle is ripping as I straighten up. It's poor lifting technique, usually means at least 3/4 days of intense pain and weakness. Rest, drugs and ice are required!! Good drugs too!

07-Apr-24
Tilzbow, my first surgery was laminectomy without fusion. It was very successful for 10-12 years. This is pretty new, my Dr felt it was a good option for my current problem . Just can’t find anyone that’s had it done

13-Apr-24
I am a recently retired orthopedic surgeon who has had two spine surgeries myself. Most of my career was performing knee and shoulder surgery but like most orthopedic surgeons I had to se people with back pain simply because there are so many. Saw lots of failures in part because picking the right surgery (if any) can be difficult. My advice is to be wary of the “newest and coolest “ for just about any orthopedic surgery of any kind. There are many examples of procedures that were not ready but became widely used and subsequently disasters. Metal on metal hips, hylamer plastic, thermal capsular shrinkage, all sorts of poor manufacturing of total joints etc. Get at least 3 opinions from fellowship trained spine surgeons ( either orthopedic surgeons or neurosurgeons as long as fellowship trained ) who have a known track record and references if possible. My initial surgery was a lamintomy, foraminotomy and discectomy that helped for a coup,e of years. My last surgery I obtained 5 opinions and only two of them agreed on the best option. There is often more than one good option. I chose to have an OLIF , oblique lateral interbody fusion, and am very happy with the result. It is not for everyone’s pathology and does require a lot of experience on the surgeons part so many don’t do it. . Good luck!

13-Apr-24
I am a recently retired orthopedic surgeon who has had two spine surgeries myself. Most of my career was performing knee and shoulder surgery but like most orthopedic surgeons I had to se people with back pain simply because there are so many. Saw lots of failures in part because picking the right surgery (if any) can be difficult. My advice is to be wary of the “newest and coolest “ for just about any orthopedic surgery of any kind. There are many examples of procedures that were not ready but became widely used and subsequently disasters. Metal on metal hips, hylamer plastic, thermal capsular shrinkage, all sorts of poor manufacturing of total joints etc. Get at least 3 opinions from fellowship trained spine surgeons ( either orthopedic surgeons or neurosurgeons as long as fellowship trained ) who have a known track record and references if possible. My initial surgery was a lamintomy, foraminotomy and discectomy that helped for a coup,e of years. My last surgery I obtained 5 opinions and only two of them agreed on the best option. There is often more than one good option. I chose to have an OLIF , oblique lateral interbody fusion, and am very happy with the result. It is not for everyone’s pathology and does require a lot of experience on the surgeons part so many don’t do it. . Good luck!

13-Apr-24
Never seen that but I wish I had…

I’ve had 5 lumbar surgeries including 3 fusions all went well but recovery was long and painful.

This looks as you said less invasive.

Good luck

15-Apr-24
Never seen that but I wish I had…

I’ve had 5 lumbar surgeries including 3 fusions all went well but recovery was long and painful.

This looks as you said less invasive.

Good luck

• Sitka Gear