12yards 08-Apr-24
Zbone 09-Apr-24
Zbone 09-Apr-24
Zbone 09-Apr-24
DonVathome 09-Apr-24
WV Mountaineer 09-Apr-24
DanaC 09-Apr-24
08-Apr-24
I’m wondering how many people will will have eye damage or be blinded today looking at the eclipse? They say you are not suppose to look at it. But I bet some people sneak a peek.

08-Apr-24
From my experience on the last one, if you wear your glasses all the way until the moon blocks the Sun you can look at it at that point. Anybody doing anything else or looking early without glasses would probably suffer some sort of eye damage.

08-Apr-24
I think you can only look right at it (unprotected) during the totality, and if you’re outside of that zone, you can do irreparable damage very quickly. So don’t.

Best bet is to create a pinhole camera type of arrangement to project the image onto the ground or whatever surface you want to use for a screen. I’m thinking to use a tripod so I don’t have to hold anything steady.

Sadly, there WILL be those who will set up a pinhole and look through the hole at the sun. It’s the difference between looking at the movie screen and looking into the lens of the projector…..

08-Apr-24
Dont know, hopefully not as many as one would think. But it will be cool. Only 93% here, but should still be really neat.

08-Apr-24

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
I'm driving right through the center today...

"In my day we didn't need moving pictures. There was just one show in town, and it was called STARE AT THE SUN! You'd sit in the middle of an open field and stare up at the sun until your eyeballs burst into flames! Soon your head was on fire, and people were roasting chickens over it!"

08-Apr-24
Thought it was interesting that the last time the area now known as Indianapolis saw a total solar eclipse was in 1205 AD. Looks like we'll be mostly clear here this afternoon for viewing.

08-Apr-24
yea looking at the sun is not good at anytime but I guess people stare at it when looking at the eclipse.

08-Apr-24
Cloudy here.

09-Apr-24
We drove about 30 minutes to reach full totality zone and am sure glad we did... We were on a lakeshore and thanks for those that advised 99% is much different experience than totality... The twilight to total darkness is amazing, gave a weird vibe, and I dropped my protective glasses once the Corona burst out... Some of the birds seemed to freak and spring peeper frogs started chirping as the temperature slowly dropped as is grew deeper and deeper towards totally... We got there early and for and hour or so watched a pair of Osprey break off tree branches for their nests and about 15 minutes before darkness they never came back into our view... It was great though and was a wow moment when the Corona burst out, but I missed a photo shot of a flock of Cormorants flew over our heads during totality with the Corona glowing, would have made a great photo...8^(

09-Apr-24

09-Apr-24

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Took these photos with my cell phone without any kind of a filter... Photo on right was a few minutes before darkness...

09-Apr-24
We watched it in my backyard it was amazing. Coolest things were:

1. went from a light to dark in 30 seconds. So fast you could clearly see it changing by the second. 2. In every direction it looked like sunset/sunrise - red glow on the horizon. 3. The eerie low light - closest comparison is flat light during a storm in AM/PM when sun slips under heavy clouds.

09-Apr-24
It was cloudy and rainy here yesterday. Until about 25 minutes after friends in PA and North Carolina sent me eclipse pics. Clouds broke. Sun came out. Pretty much par with just another wet, dark, and dreary day.

09-Apr-24

DanaC's embedded Photo
DanaC's embedded Photo

10-Apr-24
I’m going to start a road side attraction.

I rent out welding shields and a dime. Block the orb of the sun with a dime to see the corona. They can rent by the minute. and see a two hour eclipse if they like.

• Sitka Gear